Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Bose Speaker replacement suggestions ??  (Read 8975 times)

Dave DND

• Omega Baron
  • DND Services Ltd
    • Paignton, Devon
    • View Profile
    • DND Services Ltd
Bose Speaker replacement suggestions ??
« on: 21 December 2011, 10:18:29 »

Been racking my brains trying to recall who did a two Ohm speaker that could be used for a BOSE replacement.

We used to do a coaxial set of speakers by JBL called GTO628 that were a 2 way 6 1/2" speaker and were rated at 2 Ohms.

Infinity Reference Series also did a 2 Ohm component set  6030CS (6.5") and 5030CS (5 1/4")

I am not able to obtain these myself, nor have any other pointers at the moment as to who may or may not stock them nowadays, but maybe someone out there who is bored over christmas can do a bit of googling and come up with something that they can add here.

;)
Radio & Decoding Technician
In Car Audio Service Department
www.dndservices.co.uk

I_want_an_Omega

Re: Bose Speaker replacement suggestions ??
« Reply #1 on: 21 December 2011, 12:18:02 »

Hi Dave,

Halfords seem to stock the JBL ones & seem quite reasonably priced.

Are all 4 door speakers the same size in an Omega or are the fronts & rears different?

Thanks

RobG

• Omega Queen
  • Bristol
  • I might have a link, pic or part number for that
    • 16 plate Mokka. Vivaro
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 21 December 2011, 12:24:41 »

F/L are 6inch (15cm) and 5inch (13cm) front and back respectively, would imagine same across the range possibly :-\
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

UPVC windows/doors/fascias/soffit/gutters supplied/fitted

feeutfo

« Reply #3 on: 21 December 2011, 12:36:27 »

I don't see any reason to change currently. Except if the "empty" sound at low volume levels can be improved....?

Dave DND

• Omega Baron
  • DND Services Ltd
    • Paignton, Devon
    • View Profile
    • DND Services Ltd
« Reply #4 on: 21 December 2011, 12:47:17 »

Halfords seem to stock the JBL ones & seem quite reasonably priced

be wary of anything stocked in Halfords - just make sure that they are 2 Ohms, as they do have a 4 Ohm counterpart that is not suitable.

I don't see any reason to change currently. Except if the "empty" sound at low volume levels can be improved....?

Most of the paper cone BOSE ones I`m being asked about have got to the stage of "Bio-degrading" and trying to find suitable secondhand ones that are not in a similar condition is proving difficult.

At least its a partial solution for those intent on keeping the BOSE system going

;)
www.dndservices.co.uk

feeutfo

« Reply #5 on: 21 December 2011, 18:20:22 »

As allways Dave, if there is a fully functional system that will replace it, then i'm all ears. Until then lets not try to sell incomplete chaved up systems as a viable fully functional option. The oe system IS the best system for the omega. Accept it, move on. ;)

Although any improvements to it will be greatly appreciated obviously. Interesting the ice industry cant sell us a set of speakers to improve the thing. Must be a good system to start with!

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 21 December 2011, 18:25:53 »

As allways Dave, if there is a fully functional system that will replace it, then i'm all ears. Until then lets not try to sell incomplete chaved up systems as a viable fully functional option. The oe system IS the best system for the omega. Accept it, move on. ;)

Although any improvements to it will be greatly appreciated obviously. Interesting the ice industry cant sell us a set of speakers to improve the thing. Must be a good system to start with!
gayboy, think you're missing the point. Many Bose fans have tired speakers. Replacement 2nd hand speakers are tired normally.  Dave DND is trying to find a way for those of us (erroneously in his eyes ;D) who wish to retain the OE Bose to get suitable, bose compatible speakers to replace those that are shagged.

The Bose amp needs 2ohm speakers, making it hard to find many that will work for us ;)
Grumpy old man

Dave DND

• Omega Baron
  • DND Services Ltd
    • Paignton, Devon
    • View Profile
    • DND Services Ltd
« Reply #7 on: 21 December 2011, 19:19:23 »

Yep exactly that.

If I had my way, everything BOSE would be ripped out in favour of an upgrade.

And whilst the speakers I have mentioned would probably unbalance the BOSE system design, it does offer a solution to those who really do only want to replace a knackered set of paper cone speakers and retain the NCDxxxx head units. I don`t see this as an upgrade in any shape or form, I see it purely as replacement parts.

And yes, BOSE was a good design way back when Noah first commissioned it, and the reason that the ICE industry in the 21st is not trying to upgrade it, is that the system is now so flawed by modern standards that virtually anything would be seen as an upgrade, but you have to rip out all of the obsolete parts first.

No matter how hard you polish a turd - its still a turd !!
« Last Edit: 21 December 2011, 19:23:45 by Dave DND »
www.dndservices.co.uk

MaxV6

• Omega Baron
  • Oxford UK
  • Give me 6 cylinders and i'm happy.
    • 2.2SportPremium Jag est
    • View Profile
    • Work related forums....
« Reply #8 on: 21 December 2011, 19:57:07 »

No matter how hard you polish a turd - its still a turd !!

please tell Simon Cowell that !!!!!!
If I haven't broken it yet, I soon will.
"The 4th Rule of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light.

MaxV6

• Omega Baron
  • Oxford UK
  • Give me 6 cylinders and i'm happy.
    • 2.2SportPremium Jag est
    • View Profile
    • Work related forums....
« Reply #9 on: 21 December 2011, 20:02:24 »

Dave is on a worthy mission in the quest to keep us happier for longer in our migs..

(even though he can;t stand em.....  bless him, i say he's due a medal )

we have been talking about some theoretical "bit of a kludge" solutions ,  "back stage" as it were....    and they're staying theoretical and out of sight for the time being....   so as not to confuse the masses,  or indeed, make someone's life more complicated....

but they may yet bear some fruit,  it is however,  almost at the point of needing  a Bose equipped car volunteered to be a guinea pig, with no guarantee of success,  .

or some Bose bits , and i'll volunteer my own vehicle as a test bed for all our crazy ideas. ....   

If I haven't broken it yet, I soon will.
"The 4th Rule of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light.

feeutfo

« Reply #10 on: 21 December 2011, 20:24:23 »

No guys, your missing the point. Constant inferance that that oe system is "a turd", reguardless of the thread title means the unwary will wonder off looking for ways to improve it, only to find this and that doesnt work. Costing members money and agro.

The only reason the ice industry dont like the system is they cant sell us anything to add to it or replace it with. Frustrating for both partys true enough. But to insite anyone to go the only way is essex, turn the yoof into chavs and fill the dash with gay leds because of it, well, they deserve shooting, if i had MY way!

I mean have been to an in car entertainment supplier lately? Chav city! No i'll take the ie system thanks. Keep my cash in my pocket, not thiers.

20 years on the oe system. Lets see the latest chav crap last as long.

Although obviously i take your perfectly reasonable point re paper speakers. If only the rest of Daves views where as reasonable.

I would suggest save the turd polishing, and find a solution! I mean who's the expert here? The perfectionist? This trim piece doesnt quite fit etc. Yet we're expected to accept loss of functions with chav crap instead. Yeah, wo'ever! Seriously...!

feeutfo

« Reply #11 on: 21 December 2011, 20:27:28 »

Andcre latedt posts on testing. As always, most interested, as always, if that helps take things forward. :)

CaptainZok

• Omega Lord
  • Bolton
  • Victim of Cyberbullying.
    • 3.2 MV6 Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 21 December 2011, 21:12:55 »

Is there no way of fooling the system with a parallel resistance across the speaker?
PM me for code reading/clearing
TuBy's new whipping boy.

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 21 December 2011, 21:36:07 »

Is there no way of fooling the system with a parallel resistance across the speaker?

I'm guessing it relies on the low impedance drivers to get a reasonable power output out of a low supply voltage, so whilst this would indeed keep the amp happy, it probably wouldn't go loud enough.

I think my route would be aftermarket speakers and an amp that takes speaker level inputs. No visible difference from standard and a much greater choice of components.
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 21 December 2011, 22:34:22 »

No guys, your missing the point. Constant inferance that that oe system is "a turd", reguardless of the thread title means the unwary will wonder off looking for ways to improve it, only to find this and that doesnt work. Costing members money and agro.
This thread started as a search for speakers to replaced broken/faulty/worn Bose ones, without having to rip it out.  Allowing us to keep our beloved OE Bose stuff ;)

Take a chill-pill ;)
Grumpy old man
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 21 queries.