Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All   Go Down

Author Topic: I swear this Omega doesnt like me  (Read 5262 times)

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • 2000 (W Reg.) 2.5 V6 CD
    • View Profile
I swear this Omega doesnt like me
« on: 02 November 2014, 15:40:21 »

Doin the stat today. All done. B bolt in first time. New stat,new transfer pipe o rings, everything done up nice n tight................... massive fekkin leak from front of the engine at the front on to the tray and a stream just behind the a/c pump.

Tightened b bolt to even tighter.nope still pissing.

undid b bolt to see if everythin was in right order as engine mount looked slightly to the right....now the b bolt is just spinning and not tightening.

FFS
RIP Paul Lovejoy

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
Re: I swear this Omega doesnt like me
« Reply #1 on: 02 November 2014, 16:04:14 »

What is the condition of the radiator hose onto the transfer pipe? Rubber hoses don't like the leaky cam-covers that are an Omega flaw. I suspect all the manipulation needed to remove and replace it has finished it off. The good news is that a new one is about £25.

My Omega hates me too; after replacing the suspension bushes yesterday I now have the ABS/TC warning lights on. No fault codes listed, and good, matching signals from the wheel sensors. I'm going to have a proper look at it next week, as I've had enough of the bloody thing for now.

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 02 November 2014, 16:11:01 »

Thanks nick. nice to see someone else can relate to me lol

Well the first thing I noticed was the cam belt making an awful noise and I thought ''hold on a sec''......... so clearly the belt was getting coolant on it  :'(  I then noticed a steady stream straight down from back of a/c pump and then a load on the tray.... also dripping

it doesn't start dripping immediately from switch on which makes me think the stat is leaking....needing time for the coolantto get to that channel.

I was dubious of the gasket for the stat. very thin. what are others stat gaskets like?  :-\
RIP Paul Lovejoy

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 02 November 2014, 16:12:12 »

pstop hose did have to come off for me to get the transfer pipe out but it looks in good condition
RIP Paul Lovejoy

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 02 November 2014, 16:21:14 »

When I did my stat Andy C gave me several O ring seals as it depends on the housing supplied as to which one will fit. :(

As to the B bolt.. has the thread in the head stripped, preventing it tightening?
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 02 November 2014, 16:37:09 »

Thanks Kev,

Sad to say it's a pattern stat. So I only have myself to blame if it's that. However, it is genuine part as ''GM'' has been ground off and the housing and stat is identical to what I pulled off. It's just the o ring was a lot thinner than the OE one that was on there.

Re the b bolt.... I honestly don't know. I swear on my ma's life it went in real nice at first and tightened nicely. I only then took it out, refitted it and now it's just spinning....however I put no undue force on it at any time so I'm wondering if it's not even in!! bearing inmind the engine mount stillmoves about.

if I have stripped it.... reckon ill get a tap in there? i cant believe this has even happened. went soooo well  :'(
RIP Paul Lovejoy

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 03 November 2014, 10:29:57 »

Can i just clarify something guys.

The exact order of things held on by the b bolt is as follows...

From cylinder head to the right...

cylinder head, lifting eye, dip stick bracket and transfer pipe.

if these are around wrong (i dont think its the case but just checking) will the transfer pipe not tighten enough?
RIP Paul Lovejoy

amba

• Omega Baron
  • Medway towns
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 03 November 2014, 11:13:53 »

My money is on the top hose where it connects to the end of the transfer pipe.As said they dont like being pulled around too much and chances are it is secured with a jubilee clip as access for the GM spring clip is allbut impossible so the jubilee might of left a split in the rubber which wasnt noticed on refit.

Sounds like it needs pulling apart again to have a proper look but if the B bolt is not tightening it sounds like the thread is damaged .You might be wise running a tap through it just to clean it up and see if it is bitting ,if not options are an insert to repair thread or you might be able to get a slightly thicker bolt to take, but either way the bolt needs to be secure as otherwise the transfer pipe will pull seals away.

Stat housing to head gasket seemed very thin to me when I replaced mine but it does seal..might be worth running a small sealant bead around..the grey oil cooler sealant would be favourite.Both rubber 0 transfer pipe only require a bit of moisure to seal so universal spit etc is good enough and pushed home tight.

Fingers crossed you get it sorted especially that thread in the head 

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 03 November 2014, 11:30:00 »

Amba, thanks so much for that info! That really helps.

I've got no problem re-tapping the hole and running a die over the bolt / replacing the bolt. It's just access as to whether i'll get a tap in there at all :(

Got visions of having to remove the head to repair........ :(:(:(:(:(:(
RIP Paul Lovejoy

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 03 November 2014, 11:50:36 »

There is a thinner thermostat housing that needs a thinner rubber seal, IIRC. Sounds like you didn't get the right seal for the housing you have. No problem on it being a pattern part, though.

All you can do is take it apart again, trying not to spill water anywhere, and hope that you can see where the leak was. If you struggle, then pressurise the system a little through one of the throttle body coolant pipes (block the other one) and see if that helps.

I think you'd have to try some to strip the 'stard bolt, so guessing you just need to wiggle it a bit more to get everything lined up behind it.
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 03 November 2014, 11:57:18 »

Thanks Kev! Yeah, the stat housing is exactly the same as the old one.... but new seal very thin and old one quite thick. wiould that be a leak right there???

i'll try and pressurise it as you say and see where we are from there. i may remove the b bolt tonight though to see if its in a state or not. if not then i can reasonably conclude the hole in the cylinder head is good and concentrate on the actual problem which is prob the stat seal.

im going to get some clear RTV to put on the stat housing and also got my dear old mum popping to vauxhall to pick up correct seals.

whats the thoughts on sealer on the transfer pipe o rings? i really dont want this to come apart again so seriously considering it
RIP Paul Lovejoy

amba

• Omega Baron
  • Medway towns
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 03 November 2014, 12:31:09 »

When its all apart again >:( you can try the B bolt without anything obstructing it and see if it does do up properly as its not very tight anyway and more aids as a support so agree you would of needed alot of force to damage threads.

Wise putting extra sealant around stat housing although the correct seal ring should be adequate though,however it wont hurt.

Wouldnt really think sealant onto the transfer pipe is wise though as its a push seal and being 2 seal rings you would end up with sealant getting pushed everywhere then falling into the coolant when it has cured and possibly blocking small water ways so best advise is leave that as just the 2 0 rings as designed but a bit of universal sealant ( good old spit ) to aid pushing together wont hurt.

Sure you will sort it but do have a good look at the top hose where it joints the transfer pipe as if it has been secured with a jubilee clip it may of started chewing up the rubber and being a bit of a sod to put back on better getting it correct this time

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 03 November 2014, 12:43:38 »

Thanks Ambe, really appreciate the info. :)

One final question......

I did do the 'B' bolt up real tight (as i thought it was this that was loose) and in my haste ive possibly overtightened it. if this is the case will i definitely see damage on the bolt?
RIP Paul Lovejoy

tigers_gonads

• Omega Lord
  • Kinston Upon Hull
  • Driving a Honda CR-V which doesn't smell of pee
    • Honda CR-V
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 03 November 2014, 13:08:40 »

Sorry to say mate, you will probably have a little swarf on the bolt thread when you remove it  :(

Any threads tapped into the heads are pretty soft and don't like too much abuse.

How do I know ?
One side of my plenum is held down with 13mm nuts and bolts because a certain hamfisted tosser (with large gonads) stripped the thread  ::) :-[

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 03 November 2014, 13:11:38 »

Oh dear :(:(:(

If i can get a tap in there though it will clean up right?????

if i cant get a tap in there and i cant get another bolt to fit............... anything else i can do other than head off, repair, refit?  :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(
RIP Paul Lovejoy
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.052 seconds with 21 queries.