Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Looking to change from Astra. Am I too young!?  (Read 3433 times)

rossi46

• Edinburgh
    • View Profile
Looking to change from Astra. Am I too young!?
« on: 05 January 2010, 01:06:32 »

Hi all :)

Currently am on AOC (Astra Owners Club) and have been for 18 months. Currently have a 1.8 SRI.

However, due to needing to make regular 150 mile round trips from uni to home, am looking for a more comfy and faster car with some toys :) Was looking at a big BM or Merc, but since dad works at VX, I could get an Omega for pennies :)

Now heres the deal. Im only 19!

I have seen a 3.0 V6 Elite I quite fancy, in black, with cream leather, and all the toys!

Now I want your opinion. Am I too young for this car! In terms of image etc :p Ive given up on a fast sporty car for the road, due to too many speed cameras and dangerous B roads etc, and currently kart at national level, so can keep my need for speed in check with that :)

Any opinions.
Oh and hello BTW  ;)
« Last Edit: 05 January 2010, 01:07:16 by rossi46 »
My Mint Astra SRI Mk4 for sale. Send me a private message if interested:
   http://www.astraownersclub.com/vb/showthread.php?t=230599

Broomies Mate

• Omega Baron
  • Bristol, UK
    • Stuff!
    • View Profile
Re: Looking to change from Astra. Am I too young!?
« Reply #1 on: 05 January 2010, 01:22:00 »

Hi and welcome to OOF.

Too young?  Depends on you really.  I am 27 and have always had Mk3 Cavaliers.... recently bought a 3.0 Omega Elite and wish I did it years ago.

People may judge you..... a colleague of mine bought me a flat-cap for Christmas, suggesting that it suited me whilst driving 'the old mans car'.

I'm just happy with >200BHP and a car which is soooooo comfortable, you can easily fall asleep at the wheel.

It is RWD, and with the TC off, it can be hairy, especially in wet/icy conditions, and definitely handles NOTHING like a Kart.

If you are confident you can leave the loud pedal alone whilst negotiating the 'nasty B Roads' then you'll be as safe as houses.

Dont forget that the V6 needs some really attentive servicing, which will be more costly than you might bargain for, but I guess as your Father works for Vx, you'll know all about this and enjoy a hefty discount anyway.

To sum it up...... You couldn't own a better car for the money they are going for.  Get an insurance quote and (at Group 16) it will be high, but not stupid.

If you can afford all the above (knowing it is a cheap car) then go for it.  You wont regret it.
2004 Saab 9-5 Aero Merlot Red Stg1 noobtune
2009 Saab 9-5 Turbo Edition Titan Grey Stg3 noobtune
2017 Vauxhall Vivaro L1H1 125PS Star Silver

rossi46

• Edinburgh
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 05 January 2010, 01:27:13 »

This is the thing, I can insure a 3.0 Omega, for the price of a 520i ! No real comparisson is it!

And all the Elites seem to have mega spec.

What sort of mpg do people seem to be getting out of the 3.0. (Or 2.6 for that matter)
Its between an Omega and a Veccy 150 cdti at the minute, but the Omega's are so much cheaper to buy, id have to do about a million miles in it to justify the cheaper fuel costs of the veccy.

« Last Edit: 05 January 2010, 01:28:57 by rossi46 »

Broomies Mate

• Omega Baron
  • Bristol, UK
    • Stuff!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 05 January 2010, 01:38:43 »

I've only just (a few weeks ago) picked up my new toy.... although I did buy another one tonight for spares.... so I'm still driving around loving the noise of the V6.

Heavy foot, mainly city some motorway driving, I'm getting 22mpg.

I reckon in another few weeks, that will increase to nearer 30mpg when I'm less interested in really annoying Boy Racers.

This never happens, but when screwing the nuts off my 2.0 8v Cav (which has about the same performance as your 1.8 Astra) I dont see greater fuel economy than the Omega.

The thing with the Omega is, when you finally do get on the Motorway, you dont feel the need to pound down the outside lane.  You are happy at 80, with the Cruise set.  Playing Radio 4 through the ample Bose Stereo.............

Where is that Flat Cap?????????????
« Last Edit: 05 January 2010, 02:02:55 by Broomies_Mate »
2004 Saab 9-5 Aero Merlot Red Stg1 noobtune
2009 Saab 9-5 Turbo Edition Titan Grey Stg3 noobtune
2017 Vauxhall Vivaro L1H1 125PS Star Silver

Mr Skrunts

• Get A Life!!
  • Skruntie Land.
  • 3.O Elite Saloon with all the toys,
    • 2003 CD 2.2 Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 05 January 2010, 01:41:05 »

Hi, welcome to the forum.  :y

What you have to consider first and foremost is the insurance and running costs.

19 years old, fast car underneath you and 18/22 mpg with a heavy foot with a 3.0.  The car can be provoked very easy into wheel spin as is a big/heavy car to handle when it breaks lose. 7 mpg on the display if you keep your foot on the floor.

Personally, and from experience I would stay clear  of the 3.0 with only 2 years road experience at the age of 19 and enjoy the benefits of your 150 mile trips with either a 2.0 or a facelift 2.2

At 21 your insurance will come down with a bump and with what you save there it will benefit helping with running costs.

Image, to a degree a lot might say it's classed as an older persons sort of car. but I think that is down to the individual.

Just read what  Broomies Mate wrote and agree with his comments.  Leaving the load pedal alone, erm, well at 19 and the way I drive I would have at least shredded the O/S rear tyre on a weekly basis and would never have seen the potential of 34mpg mpg on a run.  When I was 22 I bought a Sylvia Turbo they had an 1800 4 pot with 195 tyres on, I ran it in for 1000 miles and the rear tyres were like racing slicks at 4000 miles and that only had 135 bhp plus I never mananaged more then 22 mpg after it was run in.  But that was no where near as heavy and handled a lot better than the Omega.  Plus it Replaced an Astre GTE which after that experience with FWD all I can say is never again.

As mentioned if you can afford the bills and insurance to run a 3.0 they you will bloody love it.  Speak to Tunnie, he has a 2.2 and his Mum and dad have V6' that he uses, he may well be better placed to advise :y
« Last Edit: 05 January 2010, 01:52:01 by skruntie »
Ask yourself :  " WHY do I believe in what I believe?"

Remember that my opinions expressed here are not representative of the opinions of other members on the OOF Forum.

dbug

• Omega Queen
  • Northants
  • Dont knock Linux!
    • Jaguar XJ 5.0V8 Portfolio
    • View Profile
    • Dbug IT Services
« Reply #5 on: 05 January 2010, 01:47:26 »

Welcome to OOF mate :y
1972 Ferrari Dino, 1967 Triumph TR4A, Mondeo 2.0TDCi Estate, Jaguar XJ 5.0V8 Portfolio

sparkyw666.

• Intermediate Member
  • aberdeen uk
  • aka mark w
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 05 January 2010, 01:59:22 »

hello and welcome :y
v6 cam locking kit  member:y

Welung666

« Reply #7 on: 05 January 2010, 05:48:49 »

Welcome to OOF Rossi :y

Jimbob

• Global Moderator
  • Chester / Flintshire
  • I like traffic lights, but only when they're green
    • E250 Est / Golf GTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 05 January 2010, 07:05:59 »

Hello & Welcome  :y

Elitenut

• Omega Knight
  • Redditch, Worcestershire
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 05 January 2010, 08:26:39 »

Hello and welcome to the Forum. :y :y

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • 3.2 Elite 2.0 TitX Mondeo
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 05 January 2010, 09:35:09 »

Welcome to the Forum. Not too young, but consider that if you go ahead with the purchase, you will be spoilt forever!

Ken L

• Sheffield, South Yorkshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 05 January 2010, 09:42:40 »

Hello and welcome to the forum. I think you've had some pretty good advice, when all said and done, it will be you driving it etc, have a test drive see how it feels and how you feel in the car.

I'm not in your age bracket (61 this month) but I sold a MR2 to buy my Omega and no regrets, I love the car.
« Last Edit: 05 January 2010, 09:43:39 by Ken60 »

neilr

• Intermediate Member
  • Barnet, Herts
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 05 January 2010, 10:30:06 »

Hi welcome on my second v6 omega now first 2.5 now 2.6 both can give exeptional pleasure depending on wether on on my own or with family in tow. I am always impressed on how quick they can be and also how comfortable and stable at speed. Motorway miles are great. Fuel consumption will depend on you and your right foot. I still have the 2.5 and cant decide wether to sell or keep it. Last thing before i bore you and everyone many police forces used these cars because of their performance.

R.C. ™

• Intermediate Member
  • Surrey . England
  • R.C. 本傑明 ™
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 05 January 2010, 11:04:26 »

Hello and welcome to the forum  :y
No illusions , No spin , No quick fixes , No compromises , No limit to how far you can go - Get an Omega

rossi46

• Edinburgh
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 05 January 2010, 14:12:46 »

Cheers for all the replies guys, much appreciated  :)

Slightly of topic, but how often do Irmscher front bumpers come up for sale, and what sort of money do they make?
Think they make the car look a million times freshr.

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 18 queries.