Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Those of you with an auto omega?  (Read 5477 times)

Jay

• Liverpool
    • View Profile
Those of you with an auto omega?
« on: 06 January 2007, 07:31:34 »

Been drivin my brothers Golf V6 4 Motion alot latley and I miss having a manual gearbox, makes you think an auto is a bit boring or is that just me?! Get more of a feel for driving with a manual in my opinion, I was loving the auto box at first cos a 3.0 V6 "rev and go" was a nice lazy boy car!! Just wondered what other people thought?  :)
« Last Edit: 06 January 2007, 07:33:23 by Jay »
3.0 Elite SOLD!!

JesterRT

• Intermediate Member
  • Stafford
    • View Profile
Re: Those of you with an auto omega?
« Reply #1 on: 06 January 2007, 08:51:58 »

Had manuals all the way up to the Omega, and I bought the car because I'd be doing mostly motorway miles.  Not looked back yet...  don't care if it costs a mpg or two, don't care if it sometimes doesn't quite hit the gear you *really* want, and don't care if it doesn't break my neck on it's way to 60.  It's smooth,  mostly, quiet and makes the monotonous journey to work on today's clogged up roads much less stressful.

The Omega's a big car to throw around too - something I was always more likely to do with a manual box for some reason.  Don't fancy trying to rescue the rear end of something that's heading towards 2 tonnes.  Not without a lot of space anyway  :)

Bo Bo

• Omega Baron
  • Coventry
  • Here's another nice mess you've gotten me into!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 06 January 2007, 09:36:21 »

Apart from my first car all of mine have been auto's.
Used to drive a lot of vans at work & still drive my dad's & brother's manuals & I miss the auto when I do.
Where would we be without rhetorical questions?!

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 06 January 2007, 10:08:36 »

my dads megga is an auto and he refuses to drive manuals! - He loves autos now.

Means my megga is safe from being pinched by him  :D

Jimbob

• Global Moderator
  • Chester / Flintshire
  • I like traffic lights, but only when they're green
    • E250 Est / Golf GTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 06 January 2007, 11:00:00 »

This is my 1st Auto, and I was a bit worried before hand, ideally wanted 2.5 manual, but this one I couldn't turn down.
As it is the 3 Litre, I have no power worries, it is just easy AND fast, do want to try the latest GB Software though.
Now the wife's 2.2, hmmm  I wouldn't want her auto, just not as responsive.

Taxi_Driver

« Reply #5 on: 06 January 2007, 11:35:58 »

Not ness in the correct order and i may have missed one or two out........

Chevette - manual
Golf - auto
Acclaim - manual
Capri - manual
Sirrocco - auto
Vx - carnt remember (wasnt a Senny or Monza or Carlton but similar do remember it was a 2.5 straight 6 tho) - auto
SD1 - auto
Golf - manual
another Golf - manual
Sierra - auto - killed the auto box and scrapped it - only 4yo's too  :-[
merc 200 - auto - cambelt went - scrapped that too - 5 yo  :-[
mitsibushi something - auto
735i - auto
veccy - auto
V6 veccy - auto
SLK - auto
C220 - auto
Omega - auto

As you can see i have had a few manuals, but i do like autos  :y

Jay w

• Omega Baron
  • Plymouth/Poole
  • omega gone
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 06 January 2007, 12:02:48 »

on the whole i don't miss a manual gearbox, most of my time is spent on the motorways, getting stuck in traffic and having to ride the clutch really is a drag.

nearly all of my previous cars have been manual, and if i was to buy a summer car then that would be as well, purely for driver involvement.

The only time i do miss a manual is when i am coming to a roundabout/junction, i was always taught to slow down by going down through the gears, having to use the brakes so much still feels wrong

Martin_1962

« Reply #7 on: 06 January 2007, 12:31:38 »

Where is only occasionally?

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 06 January 2007, 12:40:25 »

I can feel a 'I like to be in control in a manual' vs 'slushbox' auto is best (which they are in a big lumbering saloon!  ;) ) debate coming  :y

Sir Sideways

• Intermediate Member
  • Sideways in Staffordshire
    • PFL 3.0 Auto Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 06 January 2007, 13:32:23 »

Im trying to turn my 3.0 auto into a manual

Markie

• Omega Lord
  • Lanarkshire, Scotland
    • RS4, BMW X5, Range Rover
    • View Profile
    • http://www.facebook.com/pages/Markiescarparts/149306545168993
« Reply #10 on: 06 January 2007, 14:03:14 »

never never ever miss the manual as i get old and lazy
MarkiesCarParts-Online Now With A New 4000FT Partswarehouse; Stocking Thousands of Vauxhall,Peugeot, Citroen, Renault & Rover NEW Parts - Check us on Ebay MarkiesCarParts-Online. PM me via OOF for discount

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 06 January 2007, 14:47:43 »

i bought my mv6 coz it was auto - i bought it for one specific trip to france in summer of 2004. i wanted auto, and every mv6 i looked at at the time was manual, so i snapped this one up.

99% of the time I prefer an auto, though there are those times when I wish I had a manual box and a clutch.  My days of racing around everywhere are mostly over, so auto suits my needs better...
Grumpy old man

Martin_1962

« Reply #12 on: 06 January 2007, 17:57:36 »

i bought my mv6 coz it was auto - i bought it for one specific trip to france in summer of 2004. i wanted auto, and every mv6 i looked at at the time was manual, so i snapped this one up.

99% of the time I prefer an auto, though there are those times when I wish I had a manual box and a clutch.  My days of racing around everywhere are mostly over, so auto suits my needs better...

Thats how I feel miss a little on an A road blast but otherwise autos are so much more relaxing

Taxi_Driver

« Reply #13 on: 06 January 2007, 18:32:09 »

Thats how I feel miss a little on an A road blast but otherwise autos are so much more relaxing

An omega with Tiptronic would have been nice....tho never used it much on the mercs ive had....too much of a delay for my liking!

stuart30

« Reply #14 on: 06 January 2007, 18:40:10 »

After jumping out of the 3.0 Elite Auto into the 2.5 Manual it is taking me a while to get used driving a manual again.....so much so despite loving the estate im seriously tempted to sort a couple of niggly little jobs and bang it back on auto trader and make a nice little profit and use that to buy another estate but an auto this time.

Talking to my boss who has a 2.5 auto my mph is better but the driving enjoyment is much less..... :'(

Oh hang on ive just thought....silly me ive still got the Elite,might sell BOTH and buy an Auto estate. ;D

familyman

• Intermediate Member
  • Sittingbourne, Kent
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 06 January 2007, 20:02:53 »

I don't miss the manual box as most of the time carrying wife and kids, and auto's make light work of today traffic driving, but i think you need a big engine to appreciate the auto.I think an auto in my wife's fiesta would be a nightmare, besides in a little car with buzzy 1400 engine the manual just feels right. ;)

any way If i want a bit of self indulgent nuttyness i jump on the bike  :y
You came in that, your braver than i thought

Admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 06 January 2007, 20:13:40 »

I am going to have to adjust back to a non manual and it does not fill me with joy! :(

Non manual boxes are effective with larger engines, and are definitely a bonus in city driving.
However I prefer to decide what gear to be in at any particular time.
The Administrator.

Pitchfork

• Omega Baron
  • Tadley (near Basingrad)
  • Barndances & Morris
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 06 January 2007, 20:14:20 »

Why waste energy playing tunes on a gear-bag? :D
Almost famous!   www.pitchforkband.co.uk Guitar & PA Amps repaired & serviced
Ears pierced while you wait. PAT & Valve testing

Martin_1962

« Reply #18 on: 06 January 2007, 20:18:47 »

Well the V6 & Auto works very well.

You miss a manual less than you appreciate an auto.

A hire Saaab I had for a little while last year had tittronic and it was hopeless

x25xe

• Hayes, Middlesex
  • Avater removed due to size
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 06 January 2007, 20:43:36 »

Auto is growing / has grown on me.  The Omega is my first Auto car and in the town it is a real boon.  I always worried that I would not be able to back to a manual but the Cavalier is manual and so are the two minibuses and van that I have so this has not proved to be a problem.

The only thing that I find with the auto box is that it never gets to top gear (or lock up) after just prior to 50MPH.  When in a manual, I tend to engage 5th gear at around 40MPH.  The other thing I find is that even now, when coming off the motorway, I still try and depress the clutch and I find my hand sliding to the gear lever - old habits I guess.

As an aside, I am still amazed at how smooth the auto box is.  You can just feel it changing when cold but, when warmed up, the only way you know that it has changed is by the engine note or looking at the rev counter.  It is especially impressive when engaging top gear.

Rant over!!
1998 2.5 V6 Omega CDX, Leather and Electric Pack!

Taxi_Driver

« Reply #20 on: 06 January 2007, 21:01:37 »

I am going to have to adjust back to a non manual and it does not fill me with joy! :(

Non manual boxes are effective with larger engines, and are definitely a bonus in city driving.

Have you driven a 2.2 auto LB? Power is amazing esp on lpg  ;D

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 06 January 2007, 21:40:17 »

Me too! I just put it in 'D'!!  ;D

Dan McIntyre

• Mirfield, West Yorks
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 06 January 2007, 22:33:51 »

My Omega is an auto, mainly because I can't physically drive a manual anymore, but.....

My 1st Vectra back in 2000 was also an auto and I loved it.  When I had to get rid I got a manual but swore I wanted another auto again.

They're just so easy (lazy perhaps...) to drive and I have yet to find someone who can drive a manual car (any manual car) as smoothly as a good auto.  

In addition (not that I'm a boy racer) it will accelerate faster than most things off the line - I simply pull my lever whereas the driver in a manual has to faff about with clutch and accelerator and gearstick.  I have surprised many cap wearing teenagers in little shopping trolleys making a lot of noise.  Especially when they pull up behind me at lights, see the "I drive on Bekker hand controls" and "I use a wheelchair" stickers in the rear window and think that I'm gonna slow them down, so they then pull into the other lane ready to make an easy killing and I leave them for dust.

The ones that have their mates in with them are the best cos they always look really embarrassed to have been beaten by a disabled guy in a large estate car lol!!
Dan McIntyre
Those who say it's impossible should not interrupt those who are doing it

Dan McIntyre

• Mirfield, West Yorks
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 06 January 2007, 22:36:45 »

As an aside, I am still amazed at how smooth the auto box is.  You can just feel it changing when cold but, when warmed up, the only way you know that it has changed is by the engine note or looking at the rev counter.  It is especially impressive when engaging top gear.

Back in around 2000 I think it was Autocar magazine did a comparison/test of auto boxes from Vauxhall, Ford, BMW and Mercedes and the Vauxhall one came out on top as the most reliable and the smoothest.
Dan McIntyre

MartinP

• Dudley
    • BMW 320D
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 07 January 2007, 00:28:49 »

Voted yes, as I have thought recently that I would really like a manual box...
But ONLY at play time  ;D ;D

Last four cars have been autos, and for general driving I really like them.

But with the Omega it would be nice to stir the box.

Auto Addict

• Administrator
  • North Birmingham
  • Back to Vx to keep TB happy
    • Astra K Elite ST
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 07 January 2007, 08:53:48 »

I think it was back in the 60's Rolls Royce stopped making their own auto boxes and started fitting GM boxes as, quote 'They were the finest in the world'.
I like red cars

tyreburner

• bedlington - northumberland
  • It werent a mig but boy was it fast!!!!! R.I.P
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 07 January 2007, 09:26:52 »

i would have preferred maggie ( my elite) to have been a manual as i like to keep full control but the auto as stated is so much easier and better off the lights

also i drive dennis dart buses and the auto on them means i can too beat the little chavs off the lights    ( bit embarrassing when i forgot about the passenger standing at the front wiaitng to get off and they ended up at the back  :-[) but the auto boxes in them change down the gears aswell!!!!! took a hell of a lot of getting used to that when i am slowing down, the box knocks the gears down ( bit jerky at first ) and nearly put some poor bugger through windscreen ,as i was stopping at the last moment it dropped into first and came to an abrupt halt!!!!
"well at least I'm lucky I don't have all the power in the world so I can't opps everything else up."

Auto Addict

• Administrator
  • North Birmingham
  • Back to Vx to keep TB happy
    • Astra K Elite ST
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 07 January 2007, 09:32:49 »

My days of racing around everywhere are mostly over, so auto suits my needs better...

Oh I see, so driving mine around doesn't count then........ ::)
I like red cars

highmiler

• Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 07 January 2007, 15:01:48 »

Bought my first Auto in 1989 never going back to changing gear ever again.
Highmiler

bob.dent

• Omega Lord
  • Hertfordshire
  • Drives better than an Omega
    • Mondeo 2.0TDCI Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 07 January 2007, 15:22:06 »

I've had auto's and manuals over the years and I think preference depends on the type of car. My Omega is manual and I've got to say thats's what I prefer on this sort of car. Pushing it through the gearbox can be very exhilarating on certain types of road. 8-) Driving to Barnstaple this weekend you come off the M5 onto the A361, which is a fantastic 40 mile stretch of road with lots of hills, straights and some mild bends. Dropping into 3rd gear and planting your right foot on some of the hilly sections really is a blast - just have to be careful of the odd speed camera. ::) The only time I really miss an auto is in heavy traffic.
I HAVE THE BODY OF AN 18 YEAR OLD.......I KEEP IT IN THE FRIDGE!

Elite Pete

• Omega Queen
  • Chester
  • My spider senses are tingling
    • Audi SQ5 GSX1400
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 07 January 2007, 15:26:20 »

I miss a manual gearbox infact ive even considered converting mine to manual.
Retired

Dan McIntyre

• Mirfield, West Yorks
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 07 January 2007, 17:41:15 »

also i drive dennis dart buses

Grrrrr!!  That brings back angry memories from last year - a bus driver in a Dennis Dart ran me head on into oncoming rush hour traffic when he decided to pull out of a layby without looking while I was right at the side of him.  Result?  I had to swerve sharply to the right on a single carriageway road, clipping an island in the middle of the road and ending up facing the wrong way on the wrong side of the road in the middle of rush hour traffic.

The bus driver just drove off as if nothing had happened, even after I chased him for 2 miles, eventually managed to get in front of him and stopped in the middle of the road to force him to stop.  Got out of the car and was asking for his details but he refused to open the door or the window and wouldn't even look at me, then pulled round my car and drove off again.

I ended up calling the Police who sent 2 traffic cars after him and eventually caught him trying to run off from the depot having dropped the bus off.  

They got his details and he tried to make out he wasn't aware of what he had done.  Ironically being as he'd also been speeding his name was Alan QUICK.  Driving a Dennis DART.  Have to laugh I suppose.
Dan McIntyre

tyreburner

• bedlington - northumberland
  • It werent a mig but boy was it fast!!!!! R.I.P
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 07 January 2007, 19:10:15 »

his name was Alan QUICK.  Driving a Dennis DART.  Have to laugh I suppose.

well the darts are  quick but i dont pull out on people , i have to force my bus into the traffic though as for some strange reason people hate me more now than when i was a white van man..  >:(... have seen them let white van man out but not buses..

unfortunatly people have a bad impression of buses- yourself probably included but we aint all that bad.. (note to self - try not to bully omegas out the way as it may be a fellow forum member ::) lol)
"well at least I'm lucky I don't have all the power in the world so I can't opps everything else up."

Del Boy

• Omega Queen
  • Kent, UK.
    • 2012 '62' BMW 730d MSport
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 07 January 2007, 19:12:05 »

I've got a manual  ;D and its fun you change gear when you want not when it wants
Drives: 2013 (13) BMW 530d M Sport Touring, 2011 '61' BMW 520d SE.

SMS01

• Altrincham
  • Black Omega 3.0 manual estate 'P' reg
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 08 January 2007, 13:53:56 »

The only thing I would want to change on my 3.0 elite estate would be the box. I don't see the point in having the 3 litre engine and a gearstick/clutch combination.

The car is effortless to drive generally as it is but I would much rather it changed gear itself rather than having to stir the box. Nothing wrong with the gearbox, just that a car of this nature is suited to having an auto box.

Previous auto's were a Rover 820i, sprightly but thirsty, then a Carlton 2.0 CD, economical, excellent to drive on the twisties but slow as hell needing sports mode permanently engaged other than for motorway cruising.

bestseany

• Intermediate Member
  • Flintshire, North Wales
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 09 January 2007, 12:39:13 »

If my Omega Elite had a manual gearbox then I'd probably love it!

At the moment, the problematic autobox means I barely like it. I'm starting to miss my old Cavalier redtop now.

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 09 January 2007, 12:49:49 »

I'm starting to miss my old Cavalier redtop now.
:-?  :-? Rear drive 6 cylinders vs transverse 4 pot? Hardly a choice is it!  :-?  :-?

Admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 09 January 2007, 13:07:49 »

Redtop cav is rather a good car! ;)

Most certainly not the average fwd!

The Administrator.

x25xe

• Hayes, Middlesex
  • Avater removed due to size
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 09 January 2007, 13:50:19 »

Redtop cav is rather a good car! ;)

Most certainly not the average fwd!

Agreed.

I still have my Cavalier, not a red top so not quite in the same league but a 16v 2.0 Ecotec unit.  Got the Omega as a replacement but could not part with the Cavalier so kept both (for the time being anyway).
1998 2.5 V6 Omega CDX, Leather and Electric Pack!

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 09 January 2007, 23:28:53 »

but could not part with the Cavalier so kept both (for the time being anyway).
If you want to keep both then don't be persuaded otherwise.  :o  A Cavalier doesn't eat anything so costs nothing to keep on the drive/in the garage.  :y

V6mac

• Birmingham
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 09 January 2007, 23:42:28 »

I've only just been converted to the meega, and i love my auto. Who said you can't have fun,
love watching peoples faces as you sail past them with ease.

LOVE IT ;D ;D ;D
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Up

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 18 queries.