Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Stopping  (Read 3037 times)

miggy

Stopping
« on: 01 June 2007, 22:47:14 »

Just looking on the wifes Renaultsport clit 197 forum and there are 2 guys arguing on there on how you should stop when approaching junctions, roundabouts etc.

One says he approaches the junction without changing down the gear box
The other says the correct way is to change down the box to assist braking and to approach the junction in the correct gear.

How do you do it in your manuals. ;D ;D

hotel21

• Administrator
  • The Kingdom of Fife
    • View Profile
Re: Stopping
« Reply #1 on: 01 June 2007, 22:50:37 »

Brakepads are cheaper than gearboxes....

Brake off the speed then select the correct gear for the speed needed to negotiate the hazard safely.

Jay w

• Omega Baron
  • Plymouth/Poole
  • omega gone
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 01 June 2007, 22:51:36 »

I use the gearbox as a suppliment to the brakes, i go down through the box as i approach the junction........

i do the same with the autobox, i will knock it down through the box, save the brakes

JamesV6CDX

• Omega Queen
  • Gloucestershire/Buckinghamshire
    • Omega 3.2 Retail MV6 LPG
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 01 June 2007, 22:55:40 »

I use the gearbox as a suppliment to the brakes, i go down through the box as i approach the junction........

i do the same with the autobox, i will knock it down through the box, save the brakes

Hmm.... not sure I can agree with this

Having changed a gearbox on a V6... give me a brake pad change any day!!!

When I drive manuals, I get the car down to the appropriate speed, and then select the gear I need dependant on speed and situation

Broccie - what does Roadcraft say?

miggy

« Reply #4 on: 01 June 2007, 22:56:09 »

This thread sounds like the one on the renault forum.

I suppose its driver preference, I was tought 30 years ago to change down the box and recently on my advanced driving course.
My daughter recently passed her test and she was tought to change down the box.

I suppose we need to agree to disagree on this one.

:y :y

Dazzler

• Omega Baron
  • Haverhill, Suffolk
  • Drive it like you stole it......
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 01 June 2007, 22:56:12 »

The correct way is to stay in the gear you are in prior to the roundabout and then block-change down either into 2nd if not actually stopping at the rounabout of if stopped blockchange straight into first. Doing it this way saves the Ozone as well (cough) ;)
Big jobbies now finished.....Now running on LPG

miggy

« Reply #6 on: 01 June 2007, 22:58:48 »

The correct way is to stay in the gear you are in prior to the roundabout and then block-change down either into 2nd if not actually stopping at the rounabout of if stopped blockchange straight into first. Doing it this way saves the Ozone as well (cough) ;)

As long as you select the correct gear otherwise the gearbox and engine will end up in heaven.

;D ;D

JamesV6CDX

• Omega Queen
  • Gloucestershire/Buckinghamshire
    • Omega 3.2 Retail MV6 LPG
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 01 June 2007, 22:59:40 »

This thread sounds like the one on the renault forum.

I suppose its driver preference, I was tought 30 years ago to change down the box and recently on my advanced driving course.
My daughter recently passed her test and she was tought to change down the box.

I suppose we need to agree to disagree on this one.

:y :y

Ah, it's all friendly banter...

My instructor when learning to drive 6 years ago, although his method was to change down the box as you approach something... told me that he was forced to make us block change when we'd reached the speed required..

Ronald_McBurger

« Reply #8 on: 01 June 2007, 23:07:47 »

As the forums only qualified and practicing Approved Driving Instructor, I can safely say without fear of contradiction that this is the correct way:

Approach roundabout in whatever gear you are in (4th for example). Slow using the footbrake whilst you assess the roundabout for traffic. Select the gear when you can see if it is clear., ie 2nd or continue braking to a stop and select 1st just before stopping in preparation to starting again.

miggy

« Reply #9 on: 01 June 2007, 23:12:59 »

As the forums only qualified and practicing Approved Driving Instructor, I can safely say without fear of contradiction that this is the correct way:

Approach roundabout in whatever gear you are in (4th for example). Slow using the footbrake whilst you assess the roundabout for traffic. Select the gear when you can see if it is clear., ie 2nd or continue braking to a stop and select 1st just before stopping in preparation to starting again.

There you are, query solved.

hotel21

• Administrator
  • The Kingdom of Fife
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 02 June 2007, 00:05:04 »

There you are, query solved.

What was that I said again as the first answer to this thread???   ;D   ;D   ;D   :y

Brakepads are cheaper than gearboxes....

Brake off the speed then select the correct gear for the speed needed to negotiate the hazard safely.

Reads like we are quoting the same thing, Mr McB   :y

Hmm.... not sure I can agree with this

Having changed a gearbox on a V6... give me a brake pad change any day!!!

When I drive manuals, I get the car down to the appropriate speed, and then select the gear I need dependant on speed and situation

Broccie - what does Roadcraft say?

James - as above, Matey!!   ;)
« Last Edit: 02 June 2007, 00:08:31 by hotel21 »

Danny

• Omega Lord
  • Wigan, Greater Manchester
  • BLACK 1.6 BORA SHAPED JETTA!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 02 June 2007, 00:17:43 »

if you're coming to a complete stop, stay in the gear you're in, then when you're slow enough, clutch in and gear straight to first, if you know you dont need to stop, slow down to about 15mph and change to second (roundabouts and stuff)

that's what i do in my manual, as a passenger i'd see people approach a junction and shift down through every gear and it just seems unnecessary

megaomega123

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 02 June 2007, 00:56:58 »

Yeeehaaa!!!   My wife was taught to change down through the gears. I was taught the proper way. Arguement settled.
A roundabout is the same as any other road deviation, brake whilst assessing then select the correct gear for your speed and away you go.  :y
ʎɐqǝ uo pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐן ǝɥʇ sı sıɥʇ.

MikeDundee

• Omega Lord
  • Costa Del Peckham
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 02 June 2007, 09:29:31 »

Personally change down gears, but sometimes just brake and then change gear, depends on situation ;)

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 02 June 2007, 13:58:47 »

Those of us taught 20 odd years ago, with no update training, will probably still use the older gearbox method.  Nowadays, using the brake is the preferred way due to economy, better braking systems, and it brings on stop lamps to warn following drivers.

Obviously, using the gears is still advisable sometimes, such as steep downhill gradients etc...
Grumpy old man
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.044 seconds with 18 queries.