Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Has anyone worked for the AA before?  (Read 5274 times)

Kate

• Omega Baron
  • Cornwall
    • Drives people mad
    • View Profile
Has anyone worked for the AA before?
« on: 23 June 2013, 19:52:58 »

I was thinking about sending them my CV with regards to any recovery driver vacancies.

Does anyone know if they are good to work for?

Many thanks. :y :-*

symes

• Omega Baron
  • oxford
  • Madness is a state of i dont mind
    • R reg 940 volvo
    • View Profile
Re: Has anyone worked for the AA before?
« Reply #1 on: 23 June 2013, 20:01:04 »

they plug in tec2 and take it from there-on old stuff-they not too clever ;) from what I hear=but go for it-it's a job  :y
1998 volvo 940 turbo 225bhp +1965 Rover 5000 v8+ 1962 ford consul 375 lowrider

btc

• Intermediate Member
  • Burgess Hill
  • Medium black pussy
    • XF 2.0d r sport
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 23 June 2013, 20:13:45 »

I worked for them a few years ago decent money and company to work for and if I remember correctly all transporter driver need to hold a class 2

Broomies Mate

• Omega Baron
  • Bristol, UK
    • Stuff!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 23 June 2013, 20:16:19 »

If you are happy with crap hours, they pay well.  And so they should...... spending half your life on the side of the Motorway is not something I would like to do.

I would imagine they would prefer someone who has a keen knowledge of mechanics as a basic?
2004 Saab 9-5 Aero Merlot Red Stg1 noobtune
2009 Saab 9-5 Turbo Edition Titan Grey Stg3 noobtune
2017 Vauxhall Vivaro L1H1 125PS Star Silver

Kate

• Omega Baron
  • Cornwall
    • Drives people mad
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 23 June 2013, 20:17:06 »

I worked for them a few years ago decent money and company to work for and if I remember correctly all transporter driver need to hold a class 2

Thanks. :y

Does class 2 mean category C?

Kate

• Omega Baron
  • Cornwall
    • Drives people mad
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 23 June 2013, 20:18:17 »

If you are happy with crap hours, they pay well.  And so they should...... spending half your life on the side of the Motorway is not something I would like to do.

I would imagine they would prefer someone who has a keen knowledge of mechanics as a basic?

I wanted to do recovery work only.

05omegav6

« Reply #6 on: 23 June 2013, 20:20:49 »

Yep :y

Kate

• Omega Baron
  • Cornwall
    • Drives people mad
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 23 June 2013, 20:22:09 »

Yep :y

That's good, I've got that.

SteveAvfc.

• Omega Knight
  • Bristol
    • Mv6 2.6 V6
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 23 June 2013, 20:26:21 »

Alcoholics Anonymous  ::) ::)
If you work and do your best you get the sack just like the rest.

05omegav6

« Reply #9 on: 23 June 2013, 20:28:41 »

Have you considered agency work :-\

I suspect that anything else transport related will see you doing at least 50 hours a week, if not more, anything self employed will mean being on call 24/7...

Broomies Mate

• Omega Baron
  • Bristol, UK
    • Stuff!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 23 June 2013, 20:33:52 »

All AA/RAC/Green Flag (on the road) people are expected to 'repair' a vehicle.  Just because some drive a flat-bed doesn't make them exempt from tinkering  :y
2004 Saab 9-5 Aero Merlot Red Stg1 noobtune
2009 Saab 9-5 Turbo Edition Titan Grey Stg3 noobtune
2017 Vauxhall Vivaro L1H1 125PS Star Silver

Kate

• Omega Baron
  • Cornwall
    • Drives people mad
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 23 June 2013, 20:38:31 »

All AA/RAC/Green Flag (on the road) people are expected to 'repair' a vehicle.  Just because some drive a flat-bed doesn't make them exempt from tinkering  :y

I can do the basics like changing a wheel or battery etc.

biggriffin

• Omega Lord
  • huntingdon, Hoof'land
    • Vectra in a posh frock.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 23 June 2013, 20:40:52 »

To become an AA employee you will need to undertake a basic mechanical test,then a written test, then you might be able to apply to become a relay driver,
 just phone them up and they will send you an application pack.
Hoof'land storeman.

Kate

• Omega Baron
  • Cornwall
    • Drives people mad
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 23 June 2013, 20:42:08 »

To become an AA employee you will need to undertake a basic mechanical test,then a written test, then you might be able to apply to become a relay driver,
 just phone them up and they will send you an application pack.

How basic is the mechanical test?

Kate

• Omega Baron
  • Cornwall
    • Drives people mad
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 23 June 2013, 20:47:58 »

Have you considered agency work :-\

I suspect that anything else transport related will see you doing at least 50 hours a week, if not more, anything self employed will mean being on call 24/7...

I didn't know there were agencies for recovery driver work?

05omegav6

« Reply #15 on: 23 June 2013, 21:04:00 »

Was suggesting general driving through an employment agency ::)

Unless I missed something, your main objection to the job you were applying for was the hours. Not one thing suggested thus far will see you working less than a 50 hour week :-\

biggriffin

• Omega Lord
  • huntingdon, Hoof'land
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 23 June 2013, 21:19:18 »

Unless I missed something, your main objection to the job you were applying for was the hours. Not one thing suggested thus far will see you working less than a 50 hour week :-\
Half a weeks work that
Hoof'land storeman.

plym ian

• Omega Baron
  • Plymouth, Devon
    • 2.0 insignia elite tourer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 23 June 2013, 21:22:28 »

Don't they fix boilers to? Or did I dream that

05omegav6

« Reply #18 on: 23 June 2013, 21:23:51 »

Half a weeks work that

My point entirely :y which seems to be in one ear and out tother :-\

There's money to be earned out there, but at a price...

05omegav6

« Reply #19 on: 23 June 2013, 21:25:05 »

Don't they fix boilers to? Or did I dream that
Yup amongst other things :y. Remember the ad with John Cleese and someone pretending to be his daughter :y

biggriffin

• Omega Lord
  • huntingdon, Hoof'land
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 23 June 2013, 21:28:16 »

Some people want to work part-time hours and earn full time money.

Why cant we all work for the goverment ;D
Hoof'land storeman.

Kate

• Omega Baron
  • Cornwall
    • Drives people mad
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 23 June 2013, 21:28:26 »

The guy I met at C&S Motors worked a minimum of 72 hours a week. Some days he started at 7am and didn't finish until 2am the next day, that's a 19 hour shift. There's no way I could do that. :o

50 hours a week would be fine.

Kate

• Omega Baron
  • Cornwall
    • Drives people mad
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 23 June 2013, 21:30:43 »

The guy I met at C&S Motors worked a minimum of 72 hours a week. Some days he started at 7am and didn't finish until 2am the next day, that's a 19 hour shift. There's no way I could do that. :o

He's on the oof.

biggriffin

• Omega Lord
  • huntingdon, Hoof'land
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 23 June 2013, 21:31:28 »

hours a week would be fine.
recovery not for you then,
Hoof'land storeman.

05omegav6

« Reply #24 on: 23 June 2013, 21:31:49 »

Can't see the AA being any different tbh :-\

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 23 June 2013, 21:33:28 »

You get used to it. You never get to like it though!
I'd love to do just 50 hours a week. Especially if they were during normal working hours. Unfortunately, there are lots of incosiderate gits who insist on breaking down at odd times of the day and night.

btc

• Intermediate Member
  • Burgess Hill
  • Medium black pussy
    • XF 2.0d r sport
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 23 June 2013, 21:33:52 »

Class 2 trucks over 7.5 ton and all recovery trucks are I believe covered by tacho rules

biggriffin

• Omega Lord
  • huntingdon, Hoof'land
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 23 June 2013, 21:38:29 »

Both sort of drivers hours domestic and National,also driver cpc and most veichles need a class 3 trailer entitlement, incase you recover a car n trailer
Hoof'land storeman.

05omegav6

« Reply #28 on: 23 June 2013, 21:47:26 »

Class 2 trucks over 7.5 ton and all recovery trucks are I believe covered by tacho rules
Not if working within 50km of base as I understand it. Working time directive still applies, but that makes even less sense than tacho law ::)

And before anyone bleats about not being allowed to work more than 45 hrs a week, in this context, you're only working when you're driving or actually doing summat. Between calls, waiting to load/unload is deducted as periods of availability. So 70 hours on clock, less 25 hours waiting = 45 hours actually working :y

Really tight firms only pay driving time :-X

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 23 June 2013, 22:24:43 »

If you ask me the only way that you will work less than 60 hour weeks in the transport industry is by working for an agency and only making yourself available 3 or 4 days a week.  ;) If you do three 15 hour days then you've clocked up 45 hours, however if you want to earn decent money then you have to do the 60 - 70 hour weeks.  ::)

As you have a Class 2 Kate, have you thought about doing supermarket deliveries.  I think there are a few supermarket distribution centres around the West London area. For example,  Sainsbury's have one at Feltham and for sure they will use agency drivers.  :y  Get one of the transport magazines, such as 'Truck & Driver' as there will be loads of agencies advertising for drivers.  ;)

The other thing that I would look into given your location, is the catering companies serving the airlines at Heathrow.  I knew a bloke who did it for a while, made good money and said it was fairly easy as it was 'shuttling' the containers from the company's base on a nearby industrial park into the airport.  :y

I reckon there are 'nicer' driving jobs out there than recovery, don't get too fixated on it!  ;) Good luck with your search!!  :)
« Last Edit: 23 June 2013, 22:27:16 by Ex-Sir Tigger »
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

Vamps

• Bishop Middleham, Co Durham.
  • Flying Tonight, so Be Prepared.
    • Mig 2.6CDX and 2.2 Honda
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 23 June 2013, 22:32:07 »

If you ask me the only way that you will work less than 60 hour weeks in the transport industry is by working for an agency and only making yourself available 3 or 4 days a week.  ;) If you do three 15 hour days then you've clocked up 45 hours, however if you want to earn decent money then you have to do the 60 - 70 hour weeks.  ::)

As you have a Class 2 Kate, have you thought about doing supermarket deliveries.  I think there are a few supermarket distribution centres around the West London area. For example,  Sainsbury's have one at Feltham and for sure they will use agency drivers.  :y

The other thing that I would look into given your location, is the catering companies serving the airlines at Heathrow.  I knew a bloke who did it for a while, made good money and said it was fairly easy as it was 'shuttling' the containers from the company's base on a nearby industrial park into the airport.  :y

I reckon there are 'nicer' driving jobs out there than recovery, don't get too fixated on it!  ;) Good luck with your search!!  :)

When I lived in Hertford I did some agency HGV1 driving for Sainsburys, around London, I had stipulated no central London driving, as I did not know the area well enough, loads of work, I only did weekends as I worked full time..............then I started Minicabbing instead........ :D :D

PhilRich

• Omega Queen
  • A bit further North of the Back of Beyond!
    • Mk 2 Volvo V70
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 23 June 2013, 22:34:40 »

As you have a Class 2 Kate, have you thought about doing supermarket deliveries.  I think there are a few supermarket distribution centres around the West London area. For example,  Sainsbury's have one at Feltham and for sure they will use agency drivers.  :y

When I lived in Hertford I did some agency HGV1 driving for Sainsburys, around London, I had stipulated no central London driving, as I did not know the area well enough, loads of work, I only did weekends as I worked full time..............then I started Minicabbing instead........ :D :D   

Yes but that was in those far off days when you hacked a Thames Trader  & a Jowett Javelin around the grey city streets! ;D ;D ;D
If it ain't broke keep fixing it 'til it is!

Vamps

• Bishop Middleham, Co Durham.
  • Flying Tonight, so Be Prepared.
    • Mig 2.6CDX and 2.2 Honda
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 23 June 2013, 22:37:39 »

Yes but that was in those far off days when you hacked a Thames Trader  & a Jowett Javelin around the grey city streets! ;D ;D ;D

Thanks for that Gramps, some stuff should remain in the family......... :P :P :-*

PhilRich

• Omega Queen
  • A bit further North of the Back of Beyond!
    • Mk 2 Volvo V70
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 23 June 2013, 22:43:26 »

Thanks for that Gramps, some stuff should remain in the family......... :P :P :-*
[/highlight]

Always a pleasure to share Mike, better me than Wikileaks! ;D ;D ;D ;)
If it ain't broke keep fixing it 'til it is!

Kate

• Omega Baron
  • Cornwall
    • Drives people mad
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 24 June 2013, 00:28:20 »

So Mike was driving round London in the 1940's?  ;D ;D ;D

Kate

• Omega Baron
  • Cornwall
    • Drives people mad
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 24 June 2013, 00:29:18 »

So Mike was driving round London in the 1940's?  ;D ;D ;D

He's older than my great great granny. ;D ;D ;D ;D

biggriffin

• Omega Lord
  • huntingdon, Hoof'land
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 24 June 2013, 07:59:59 »

If kate has a class 2 the amount of work around feltham(Heathrow) is unreal and its good money,mainly airfrieght related.
Hoof'land storeman.

Kate

• Omega Baron
  • Cornwall
    • Drives people mad
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 24 June 2013, 19:55:48 »

Got a rejection from them today.

It took 46 minutes. :-[
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Up

Page created in 0.03 seconds with 19 queries.