Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: TG lunacy  (Read 2567 times)

theolodian

• Omega Baron
  • Warwickshire
  • I need a new avatar.
    • View Profile
TG lunacy
« on: 19 February 2007, 13:33:20 »

Please tell me that you LOVED that Reliant Robin spaceship on TG as much as I did!

That was insane!
Trains may have been invented here, but public transport is a foreign concept!

Craig_R

• Omega Knight
  • Watford
    • View Profile
Re: TG lunacy
« Reply #1 on: 19 February 2007, 13:35:43 »

I have to admit I was really Impressed that they got it off the ground was such a shame it never diconnected from the main tank

Craig
Mod's
LPG, MV6 Dark Grey Leather, Carputer, Euro Grill, Rear Sun Blind,  Auto Dip Mirror, Cruise Control, AMP for Carputer
[To be Fitted]Reverse Sensors

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 19 February 2007, 13:37:54 »

They clearly know what they are doing to get it off the ground......best bit of the show last night.....the rest was crap....last weeks was a bit tedious as well....

Eddy Matthews

• Thornaby, Cleveland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 19 February 2007, 13:45:31 »

Surely you guys don't really beleive the car was actually launched? It was impressive computer graphics, nothing more - Apart from the red tape involved in actually doing it, can you imagine the cost involved? You cannot launch something that heavy for a couple of thousand pounds, a couple of million maybe?

Personally I found the whole show a waste of time...

Regards
Eddy

Craig_R

• Omega Knight
  • Watford
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 19 February 2007, 13:49:18 »

I Used To Work In 3D Computer Graphics in Films And To be honest I was not looking to see if it was As I thought a crane was going to just lift it up or somthing daft like that ill have to rewatch it this Wed To look for the Tell Tale Signs Of CG

Craig
Mod's
LPG, MV6 Dark Grey Leather, Carputer, Euro Grill, Rear Sun Blind,  Auto Dip Mirror, Cruise Control, AMP for Carputer
[To be Fitted]Reverse Sensors

MaxV6

• Omega Baron
  • Oxford UK
  • Give me 6 cylinders and i'm happy.
    • 2.2SportPremium Jag est
    • View Profile
    • Work related forums....
« Reply #5 on: 19 February 2007, 14:31:14 »

Loved it.

it's honestly NOT CG either.

and yes, you can lift something that heavy relatively cheaply...

it's the bringing back down safely bit that usually costs millions....

as illustrated by their failure to do so....   more expensively complex systems for releasing the payload, are , under such stresses, are usually also more reliable!

I'm told you can still clearly see the scars of impact should you choose to hike over that bit of landscape.

If I haven't broken it yet, I soon will.
"The 4th Rule of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light.

Martin_1962

« Reply #6 on: 19 February 2007, 14:35:42 »

I thought it was brilliant :y

omegaV6CD

• Intermediate Member
  • Darlington
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 19 February 2007, 14:50:43 »

well, i must admit that i'm dissapointed with TG lately, there is absolutely no reason to waste half teh show just to show a stupid attempt without any reasoning behind it, it did absolutely nothing for my apart from making me regret the fact that i didn't go to the gym instead.
I'm very tired with the content of the TG anyway with all these 100k plus supercars that they present, what happened to the rest of the cars in the market, i would like to know more about them as well, it is not a motoring show any more and last Sunday was the last day i watched it. I'm tired of their stupid experiments and attempts.

STMO123

« Reply #8 on: 19 February 2007, 14:51:23 »

I know you've heard it all before, but, I would like them to take some ordinary cars and really give an in-depth appraisal. Just one a week, for maybe 10mins :(

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 19 February 2007, 14:54:17 »

I know you've heard it all before, but, I would like them to take some ordinary cars and really give an in-depth appraisal. Just one a week, for maybe 10mins :(
TG is not a motoring review programme - its a big boys/big toys programme.

For car reviews, watch 5th gear etc...
Grumpy old man

Timbuk

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
  • owned a Datsun 120y once!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 19 February 2007, 14:59:18 »

I fully understand anyone who makes this point of view, however TG do say it's not what the programme is all about as they don't believe that concept of motoring programme works anymore, isn't that why TG was dropped in the first place :question It's just an entertainment show now

theolodian

• Omega Baron
  • Warwickshire
  • I need a new avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 19 February 2007, 15:08:54 »

well, i must admit that i'm dissapointed with TG lately, there is absolutely no reason to waste half teh show just to show a stupid attempt without any reasoning behind it, it did absolutely nothing for my apart from making me regret the fact that i didn't go to the gym instead.
I'm very tired with the content of the TG anyway with all these 100k plus supercars that they present, what happened to the rest of the cars in the market, i would like to know more about them as well, it is not a motoring show any more and last Sunday was the last day i watched it. I'm tired of their stupid experiments and attempts.
Or it's the only reason to watch tv any more.  If I want to compare cars I'll use the Internet and magazines.  Even if you were the target market for a Focus, how often do you want to watch a review?  Most people don't buy a new car even every year or two.  I don't watch the news on tv any more, again Internet and print.  Go to the US, the news isn't news any more it is drama.  You can't watch the olympics for all the life stories of the gymnasts.  At least TG doesn't take itself too seriously or pretend to be something it is not.  TV isn't about reality, it is about entertainment.  Even the 'reality' shows are artificial.

Jimbob

• Global Moderator
  • Chester / Flintshire
  • I like traffic lights, but only when they're green
    • E250 Est / Golf GTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 19 February 2007, 15:20:59 »

We always watch it, as the best comedy on the telly!
Fact there's some cars in it has little to do with it!

RossPhim

• Morayshire, Scotland
  • The blue oval now-a-days!?!
    • 2.2 TDCi TXS
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 19 February 2007, 15:24:20 »

But did nobody realise that yet again this week they featured an Omega ....... for a fraction of a second.
When Clarkson was passing through some village in the Porsche. In the background, a dark green pre-facelift barge, parked up. Looked like GLS spec. :y
Bye the way, it wasn't me that spotted it .... it was my 8 year old son. ::)
Eyes like a hawk that boy :y

Markie

• Omega Lord
  • Lanarkshire, Scotland
    • RS4, BMW X5, Range Rover
    • View Profile
    • http://www.facebook.com/pages/Markiescarparts/149306545168993
« Reply #14 on: 19 February 2007, 15:26:31 »

LOVED IT !!!

But - and this is not me speaking - this is the devils advocate....

How long before the pc brigade convince the BBC about its unsuitability and they get cold feet over TG's funding.

Lets be honest it aint PC and the PC briade seem to win their battles right now. >:(
« Last Edit: 19 February 2007, 15:27:05 by Markiec »
MarkiesCarParts-Online Now With A New 4000FT Partswarehouse; Stocking Thousands of Vauxhall,Peugeot, Citroen, Renault & Rover NEW Parts - Check us on Ebay MarkiesCarParts-Online. PM me via OOF for discount

Jimbob

• Global Moderator
  • Chester / Flintshire
  • I like traffic lights, but only when they're green
    • E250 Est / Golf GTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 19 February 2007, 15:27:43 »

But did nobody realise that yet again this week they featured an Omega ....... for a fraction of a second.
When Clarkson was passing through some village in the Porsche. In the background, a dark green pre-facelift barge, parked up. Looked like GLS spec. :y
Bye the way, it wasn't me that spotted it .... it was my 8 year old son. ::)
Eyes like a hawk that boy :y

We did too  :-[

Always play meega spotting  :-[

theolodian

• Omega Baron
  • Warwickshire
  • I need a new avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 19 February 2007, 15:29:48 »

LOVED IT !!!

How long before the pc brigade convince the BBC about its unsuitability and they get cold feet over TG's funding.

Lets be honest it aint PC and the PC briade seem to win their battles right now. >:(
Darned American Altruism  >:(  Long live Borat!  :y

Markie

• Omega Lord
  • Lanarkshire, Scotland
    • RS4, BMW X5, Range Rover
    • View Profile
    • http://www.facebook.com/pages/Markiescarparts/149306545168993
« Reply #17 on: 19 February 2007, 15:32:09 »

youve got a point there Theo.. :y
MarkiesCarParts-Online Now With A New 4000FT Partswarehouse; Stocking Thousands of Vauxhall,Peugeot, Citroen, Renault & Rover NEW Parts - Check us on Ebay MarkiesCarParts-Online. PM me via OOF for discount

Martin_1962

« Reply #18 on: 19 February 2007, 15:42:01 »

I thought I saw it too but was watching live

MaxV6

• Omega Baron
  • Oxford UK
  • Give me 6 cylinders and i'm happy.
    • 2.2SportPremium Jag est
    • View Profile
    • Work related forums....
« Reply #19 on: 19 February 2007, 16:00:16 »

LOVED IT !!!

depends on the route it comes from.

if from a government representative, they'll be told to shove it.

if on the other hand a body of viewer representatives moans...   there's every chance you're depressingly right

I did rather enjoy JC slating the Brabus merc as unusable and pointless. (which it undoubtedly is)

although i was a bit worried about his literacy/senility .......     when did lbs/ft or N/m become an SI unit called  "Torques"

and carping over buying a new Lambo drop top...

I'm going to drive around Chippy with a paintball gun.

sorry, but it HAS to be done .

Max
If I haven't broken it yet, I soon will.
"The 4th Rule of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 19 February 2007, 18:46:36 »

LOVED IT !!!

depends on the route it comes from.

if from a government representative, they'll be told to shove it.

if on the other hand a body of viewer representatives moans...   there's every chance you're depressingly right

I did rather enjoy JC slating the Brabus merc as unusable and pointless. (which it undoubtedly is)

although i was a bit worried about his literacy/senility .......     when did lbs/ft or N/m become an SI unit called  "Torques"

and carping over buying a new Lambo drop top...

I'm going to drive around Chippy with a paintball gun.

sorry, but it HAS to be done .

Max
LOL, should be easy to spot, doubt there are many lambos out in carrot cruncher land....
Grumpy old man

Del Boy

• Omega Queen
  • Kent, UK.
    • 2012 '62' BMW 730d MSport
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 19 February 2007, 18:56:46 »

That was really cool  ;D
Drives: 2013 (13) BMW 530d M Sport Touring, 2011 '61' BMW 520d SE.

STMO123

« Reply #22 on: 19 February 2007, 19:02:35 »

TG is not a motoring review programme - its a big boys/big toys programme.

For car reviews, watch 5th gear etc...

No....thank you.

sounds2k

• Omega Knight
  • Queenborough, Kent
    • Saabs and a Jag XFR
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 19 February 2007, 22:49:19 »

I'm sure I'm not the only one who thought it hilarious when the reliant exploded into smithereens  ;D

Top Gear really is entertainment - they do stuff (like that - and the radio-controlled demolition derby) that most people can only dream of, it's escapism and good to watch  :y

Ronald_McBurger

« Reply #24 on: 19 February 2007, 23:03:06 »

It WAS launched. I was there. It went 1,217 ft up before the tanks were chucked off. There were no tricks. It really did go.

I also never tell porkies.

OK, I wasn't there and have no idea. But it looked good, if not a total waste of time, effort and BBC license payers money. Lets do the same next week with clarksons new Lambo, WITH him in it!

bob.dent

• Omega Lord
  • Hertfordshire
  • Drives better than an Omega
    • Mondeo 2.0TDCI Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 20 February 2007, 10:40:27 »

Obviously there are a lot of mixed feelings and opinions about TG (which we're all entitled to) however, I think it has to be looked at in the context of what TG is aiming for - is it it a motoring magazine show, a big boys toys show or an entertainment show. The answer is that it's a bit of each in my opinion, but primarily entertainment. Very few of us could only dream of driving most of the cars they feature and would never have the opportunity of performing any of the crazy stunts they get up to, so they do it for us in a very entertaining manner - what's wrong with that?? :-?
If I wanted to watch a motoring magazine show that features "everyday" cars I'd probably watch 5th Gear. ::)

Yes, many of the crazy things they get up to are carefully planned or stage managed........but it makes me LAUGH, and that's what's important.

I for one have absolutely no problem with the BBC chucking a bit of money into programmes like this. Long live Top Gear!! :y :y :y
I HAVE THE BODY OF AN 18 YEAR OLD.......I KEEP IT IN THE FRIDGE!

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 20 February 2007, 19:04:51 »

Obviously there are a lot of mixed feelings and opinions about TG (which we're all entitled to) however, I think it has to be looked at in the context of what TG is aiming for - is it it a motoring magazine show, a big boys toys show or an entertainment show. The answer is that it's a bit of each in my opinion, but primarily entertainment. Very few of us could only dream of driving most of the cars they feature and would never have the opportunity of performing any of the crazy stunts they get up to, so they do it for us in a very entertaining manner - what's wrong with that?? :-?
If I wanted to watch a motoring magazine show that features "everyday" cars I'd probably watch 5th Gear. ::)

Yes, many of the crazy things they get up to are carefully planned or stage managed........but it makes me LAUGH, and that's what's important.

I for one have absolutely no problem with the BBC chucking a bit of money into programmes like this. Long live Top Gear!! :y :y :y
I'd rather them spend money of programmes such as TG, rather than the dreary dross like East Bloody Enders.
Grumpy old man

CaptainZok

• Omega Lord
  • Bolton
  • Victim of Cyberbullying.
    • 3.2 MV6 Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 20 February 2007, 19:15:50 »

I'd rather them spend money of programmes such as TG, rather than the dreary dross like East Bloody Enders.
Or more bloody stupid reality tv crap.
PM me for code reading/clearing
TuBy's new whipping boy.
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up

Page created in 0.03 seconds with 18 queries.