Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Flat battery  (Read 2729 times)

Elite Pete

• Omega Queen
  • Chester
  • My spider senses are tingling
    • Audi SQ5 GSX1400
    • View Profile
Flat battery
« on: 05 September 2006, 20:23:17 »

My wife has been using the Omega this week and has been complaining that it turns over slowly which I thought was rubbish as it was ok last week. She took her own car this morning so I went to B&Q in the Omega guess what very slow to turn over. I think the battery is on its way out as after a 15 minute run the car starts OK but if I go back to it a couple of hours later its slow again. The charge light on the dash goes out as normal so any suggestions.
Retired

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
Re: Flat battery
« Reply #1 on: 05 September 2006, 20:30:21 »

As you say, tired battery. But test it first.

Give us readings of when engine not running, engine at 2.5k, engine at 5k (should be around 12.5,14.2,14.2 approx)
Grumpy old man

CaptainZok

• Omega Lord
  • Bolton
  • Victim of Cyberbullying.
    • 3.2 MV6 Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 05 September 2006, 20:31:24 »

Mine started to do that, would be ok during the week but would need a boost to start on Monday morning.
End result too much using the booster killed the battery and the replacement cured the trouble totally.
PM me for code reading/clearing
TuBy's new whipping boy.

Taxi_Driver

« Reply #3 on: 06 September 2006, 06:36:28 »

Not sure how much discount you get at vx dealer with TC card for batteries

But you get 50% off with Halfrauds trade card for batteries

If you havent got either, it'll be worth trying to find someone close to you that does  ;)

Auto Addict

• Administrator
  • North Birmingham
  • Back to Vx to keep TB happy
    • Astra K Elite ST
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 06 September 2006, 15:33:17 »

I regulary check the voltage of my battery, especially so now the nights are getting darker and more load is put onto the battery.

If mine drops below 13.5v, I put it on a trickle charger immediately.
I like red cars

STMO123

« Reply #5 on: 06 September 2006, 19:03:06 »

As has been said in previous threads, modern batteries just seem to give up the ghost almost without warning sometimes.

Taxi_Driver

« Reply #6 on: 06 September 2006, 19:25:41 »

I regulary check the voltage of my battery, especially so now the nights are getting darker and more load is put onto the battery.

Isnt that a bit of a pain tho AA, assuming you disconnect the -ve from the battery first,
having to reset windows/radio code etc  :-/

JasonH

• Omega Knight
  • Bristol
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 07 September 2006, 20:12:39 »

A nice new battery on TC is only about £33 + VAT.

For the cost of half a tank of petrol it's probably worth getting a new battery - it's only going to get worse as winter approaches.

Auto Addict

• Administrator
  • North Birmingham
    • Astra K Elite ST
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 07 September 2006, 20:28:54 »

Isnt that a bit of a pain tho AA, assuming you disconnect the -ve from the battery first,

I have it on good authority, i.e. from the experts, that if you only trickle charge the battery, you don't need to disconnect it.

I find that during the winter months, especially if you only do short journeys, the battery is hardly ever fully charged, and that's when you get deteriation.

I much prefered my Sennie and my Carlton, they were both fitted with voltmeters, and you could see at a glance the state of your battery.
I like red cars

Del Boy

• Omega Queen
  • Kent, UK.
    • 2012 '62' BMW 730d MSport
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 07 September 2006, 20:41:50 »

Just to say guys i was reading up in a mag on motors and it said it takes 20 mins driving to put the charge in your battery that it took away from starting the car
Drives: 2013 (13) BMW 530d M Sport Touring, 2011 '61' BMW 520d SE.

Auto Addict

• Administrator
  • North Birmingham
    • Astra K Elite ST
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 07 September 2006, 21:29:10 »

Just to say guys i was reading up in a mag on motors and it said it takes 20 mins driving to put the charge in your battery that it took away from starting the car

...and if your running with air con, heated rear screen, wipers and headlights, it's probably just holding it's own...put the heated seats on as well, and your probably running at a discharge....
I like red cars

Auto Addict

• Administrator
  • North Birmingham
    • Astra K Elite ST
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 07 September 2006, 21:32:26 »

...and if your running with air con, heated rear screen, wipers and headlights, it's probably just holding it's own...put the heated seats on as well, and your probably running at a discharge....

..and to add, if your sat in a traffic jam with all that lot on, your probably discharging at about 30 amps...
I like red cars

Elite Pete

• Omega Queen
  • Chester
    • Audi SQ5 GSX1400
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 07 September 2006, 21:37:27 »

Im going to Hafrauds tomorrow I might as well get oil,air and fuel filters for all three cars and oil as the trade card only lasts for 3 months
Retired

Auto Addict

• Administrator
  • North Birmingham
    • Astra K Elite ST
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 07 September 2006, 21:48:03 »

Im going to Hafrauds tomorrow I might as well get oil,air and fuel filters for all three cars and oil as the trade card only lasts for 3 months

It's being reviewed towards the end of October, I understand that the people who have used it the most, and that means using it on non-trade items as well, stand a better chance of keeping it.
I like red cars

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 08 September 2006, 07:14:34 »

.........put the heated seats on as well, and your probably running at a discharge....
Which is exactly what the wife & kids do when they get into my cat through the winter. If there was an ammeter the needle would be bent against the 'discharge' stop!

Taxi_Driver

« Reply #15 on: 09 September 2006, 07:47:30 »

I have it on good authority, i.e. from the experts, that if you only trickle charge the battery, you don't need to disconnect it.

I find that during the winter months, especially if you only do short journeys, the battery is hardly ever fully charged, and that's when you get deteriation.

I much prefered my Sennie and my Carlton, they were both fitted with voltmeters, and you could see at a glance the state of your battery.

Ah rite, cheers AA summat i didnt know.....didnt think it was a good idea to even trickle charge the batt with it connected.

I once foobarred a Vectra jump starting another car with it.....immediately afterwards the vectra would only run on 3 cylinders and its EML came on when you turned the ignition off!! Vx dealer diagnosed ECU knackered, which i could well believe in this circumstance. Never did find out if it was the case, as it was a lease car, so gave it back to leasing comp and asked for another.

You could always get a blingy voltmeter from Halfauds and stick it on your dash  ::)

Auto Addict

• Administrator
  • North Birmingham
    • Astra K Elite ST
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 09 September 2006, 07:56:00 »

Ah rite, cheers AA summat i didnt know.....didnt think it was a good idea to even trickle charge the batt with it connected.

I once foobarred a Vectra jump starting another car with it.....immediately afterwards the vectra would only run on 3 cylinders and its EML came on when you turned the ignition off!! Vx dealer diagnosed ECU knackered, which i could well believe in this circumstance. Never did find out if it was the case, as it was a lease car, so gave it back to leasing comp and asked for another.

You could always get a blingy voltmeter from Halfauds and stick it on your dash  ::)

As I understand it, if you trickle charge the battery, at no more than max 4 amps, you will not do any harm.

I was given this info by Vx service manager, and responses off the other site.

It's when you boost charge the battery at more than 4 amps you can cause damage.

I would be interested though, to have Marks comments on this.

Any thoughts Mark?
I like red cars

Elite Pete

• Omega Queen
  • Chester
    • Audi SQ5 GSX1400
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 11 September 2006, 09:25:52 »

Well I replaced the battery yesterday and I bought it from Halfrauds with the trade card. It originally cost £59.99 but I got it for £34.67 bargin. I dont know how this compares with Vauxhall and their trade club?
Retired

RobC_NE

• North East
  • IMI and VSIB Qualified Auto Electrician
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 03 October 2006, 02:57:35 »

mine now has a heavy-duty battery (72Ah) and a 120 amp alternator from an ex plod mv6. never looked back. it even has enough power to run all the warning equipment on the car  [smiley=thumbsup.gif]
Saxo, corsa, clit drivers. Before starting on a journey, attach a lit sparkler to the antenna of your car. you drive the thigs like dodgems. for the love of god MAKE IT LOOK THE PART!

SHARPEY

• Elland
  • Sod it i'm off to the pub !!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 03 October 2006, 11:44:16 »

I use an Optimizer or Optimate charger on my car occasionaly. I have two of them for my road and track bikes and they do a good job.

They sus out the condition of your battery first and take the necessary action to return it to good health....thats if it's not completely knackered !!

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 03 October 2006, 11:54:40 »

You should be ok to trickle charge whilst connected but, it depends on the quality of the charger.

What you need to avoid is excessive charge voltage as this may efect the car electronics.

A standard battery charger is mega crude and uses an un-smoothed rectified charge system which peaks at well over 20V.

To be honest....4amp is not what I would call a trickle charge, that is a standard 16 hour charge current, the general concess is is for a trcikle charge current to be not more than 1/100th of the Ah rating of the battery...so we are talking of well under 1A
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 21 queries.