Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: seeking wiring help with Vitara rad fan never worked  (Read 459 times)

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
  • What is going to break next?
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
seeking wiring help with Vitara rad fan never worked
« on: 18 November 2013, 15:27:55 »

Story so far. The air con rad fan works fine.
Engine rad fan doesn't and never has for two years.
fan works with 12 volts direct from battery.
Replaced the switch in the thermostat body.
I haven't got a wiring diagram( it is a 2002 Spanish built Vitara)
I suspect it is either a fuse or more likely a relay.
I have a multi meter but have never used it!  :-[

Any suggestions welcome. ( took it to an auto electrician today but he wanted it for a whole day 9 a.m. till 8p.m. so hat is a non starter)
The biggest joke on mankind is that computers have started asking humans to prove that they aren’t a robot.

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • 2000 (W Reg.) 2.5 V6 CD
    • View Profile
Re: seeking wiring help with Vitara rad fan never worked
« Reply #1 on: 18 November 2013, 15:40:21 »

Check relevant fuses with multimeter (set to continuity and listen for a beep - if your MM has that).
to test the relay you can hook your battery up to the low current side (two pins) and then if the relay clicks its good. an absolute though is to put your MM on the high current pins whilst low current side connected to the battery and get a continuity reading from that also.

if none of that makes sense check out ''eric the car guy - test a relay'' on youtube :)
RIP Paul Lovejoy

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
  • What is going to break next?
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 18 November 2013, 17:32:25 »

Thanks for that Webby.

I had a quick look and a poke around. I found four big fuses 40 50 60 and 80 and pulled them they all look fine. Found two others in engine compartment too. They are fine. Found the fuse box in car under dash but light was failing.

have had success though with reversing light.  :y Found a disconnected multi plug from reversing light switch on gearbox to loom. Absolute swine to do as it was on top of the gearbox and no room.

I will renew battle tomorrow

Two more questions.

1. What average size fuse are rad fans on? 30A?
2. might there not be a relay in the circuit? I have only found two. One must be part of the air con system.
The biggest joke on mankind is that computers have started asking humans to prove that they aren’t a robot.

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 18 November 2013, 17:43:52 »

A couple of things to try:

Can you follow the wiring from the thermoswitch back to a relay perhaps?

If you short the 2 wires at the thermoswitch do you hear a relay click anywhere?

Is there power at either end of the thermoswitch wiring? If so, does it disappear when you unplug one of the relays?

Failing that, put your multimeter on amps, across the thermoswitch and see if any current flows. Does it disappear if you remove one of the relays?

Is there continuity between either of the wires at the thermoswitch and either of the wires to the motor?

I wonder if a Haynes manual would help? (OK, might not be the Spanish model, but would it have changed that much?) Got to be one on ebay for a fiver, perhaps?
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 18 queries.