Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: MOT question  (Read 2062 times)

Kate

• Omega Baron
  • Cornwall
    • Drives people mad
    • View Profile
MOT question
« on: 06 October 2009, 22:11:19 »

Hi everyone.  I've been busy working on my classic cars.  I have an MOT question which I hope you can help me with.

I have this classic car which still has 2 months MOT left.  If I take it for it's test now and it fails, does that mean that the remaining MOT is no longer valid?

Thanks very much.

Kate

HNO3GOH

• Somerset
  • Play time.
    • View Profile
Re: MOT question
« Reply #1 on: 06 October 2009, 22:14:11 »

I'm 99.9% sure this is the case :(
Garage clear out in March 2011 and I will have a large amount of omega parts going very cheap.

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 06 October 2009, 22:17:51 »

Bo11ox!!! Putting it bluntly!  ;)
Unless it fails on something that would make the car immediately dangerous then your original MOT is still valid ...... your car wouldn't be raod legal even if you had 11 months MOT and it had a dangerous defect. the whole idea of being able to take a MOt test early is so you have the opportunity to rectify any faults and dtill have a legal car.

Bent valve

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 06 October 2009, 22:18:05 »

I never knew that.. mind you I  would be more likely to take it 2 months AFTER it expired  :)

Kate

• Omega Baron
  • Cornwall
    • Drives people mad
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 06 October 2009, 22:18:06 »

Thanks!

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 06 October 2009, 22:19:39 »

Thanks!

Assuming it passed, you'd end up with a 13 month ticket from the dat you took it in.

Bent valve

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 06 October 2009, 22:20:03 »

What car is it by the way?

Kate

• Omega Baron
  • Cornwall
    • Drives people mad
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 06 October 2009, 22:21:45 »

It's a Jag.

amigov6

« Reply #8 on: 06 October 2009, 22:27:23 »

MOT stns can impound any car if it's deemed dangerous, pending work & retest though this is in extreme cases.
    Hope you are well & how is my ex getting on? I still love her!!x 8-)

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 06 October 2009, 22:29:56 »

& how is my ex getting on? I still love her!!x 8-)

Let go Guy ....... get over it mate!  ::) ::) ;) ;) :y

lee4206

• southampton
  • Mot Tester
    • 2000 3.0l manual MV6
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 06 October 2009, 23:08:52 »

Thanks!

Assuming it passed, you'd end up with a 13 month ticket from the dat you took it in.

Not quite  the earliest you can take a car in to preserve the expiry date is 30 days before. Any earlier you lose the extra.
Lee
VAUXHALL TRADE CLUB AND HALFORDS TRADE CARD  AND V6 LOCKING KIT HOLDER  always happy to help if poss

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 06 October 2009, 23:18:48 »

Thanks!

Assuming it passed, you'd end up with a 13 month ticket from the date you took it in.

Not quite  the earliest you can take a car in to preserve the expiry date is 30 days before. Any earlier you lose the extra.
Lee

:-?  :-?  :-?
Exactly what I said. You take a car in for MOT that already has 2 months ticket & you end up with a 13 month MOT .... a year fro the MOT plus 1 of the months you took it early! = 13 months.  ;)

Vamps

• Bishop Middleham, Co Durham.
  • Flying Tonight, so Be Prepared.
    • Mig 2.6CDX and 2.2 Honda
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 06 October 2009, 23:20:16 »

It's a Jag.[/quote]

What where how why etc.   Nice to hear from you Kate, been a long time, hope everything is OK..... :y

Vamps

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 06 October 2009, 23:22:11 »

Thanks!

Assuming it passed, you'd end up with a 13 month ticket from the date you took it in.

Lee

Exactly what I said. You take a car in for MOT that already has 2 months ticket & you end up with a 13 month MOT .... a year fro the MOT plus 1 of the months you took it early! = 13 months.  ;)

I would have to check, but I think these new MOT's give you a date that is the earliest you can take it in, ie a month before it is due..... :-/ :-/

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 06 October 2009, 23:25:20 »

Thanks!

Lee

I would have to check, but I think these new MOT's give you a date that is the earliest you can take it in, ie a month before it is due..... :-/ :-/

It does, but that's so it will expire on same date as your existing MOT but for a year on. If your MOT has more than a month to go & you present your car for MOT you will end up with a 13 month ticket. That bit has never needed to change.

Vamps

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 06 October 2009, 23:28:26 »

Thanks!

Lee

It does, but that's so it will expire on same date as your existing MOT but for a year on. If your MOT has more than a month to go & you present your car for MOT you will end up with a 13 month ticket. That bit has never needed to change.

Sounds about right.. :y  Got another car for MOT at the end of the month, Master Vamps Saxo, and it needs taxing in November, good job he is the nice stepson..... :-X :-X :-X

steve-o2.5

• Fort William
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 06 October 2009, 23:41:14 »

it's just over30 days before your current 1 expires that u can present 4 mot ;)

Lazydocker

• Omega Queen
  • Woodbridge, Suffolk
  • Constantly Bullied by a certain Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 07 October 2009, 00:00:42 »

Thanks!

Lee

If you take it in more than a month early you'll get a 12 month ticket, exactly the same as it always should have been done but some stations used to bend the rules :y :y

Best bet is to take it no more than 1 complete calendar month and it'll preserve the expiry date :y :y
Whatever it is... I didn't do it

Gaffers

• Omega Queen
  • NE Hampshire/Surrey
    • Ford Ranger Wildtrak
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 07 October 2009, 07:43:40 »

It's a Jag.

It's gonna fail...... ::) ::) ;D ;D  :y

Kate

• Omega Baron
  • Cornwall
    • Drives people mad
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 07 October 2009, 07:47:39 »

Yeah it's definitely going fail as it needs welding.  I just need to know how much work it's going to need. If it needs loads I'll have to get rid of it.

rob in gib

• Plymouth
    • Jaguar S type 3.0
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 07 October 2009, 22:47:28 »

under computerised mot an mot can be carried out at any time on a vehicle and if fails then the old mot is still valid .
if a vehicle is presented for  test within 1 month before old mot expires and meets current minimum standards then a new ticket is issued for a period of 12 months from the expiry date of old mot .
mot testing stations have no seizure powers to impound any vehicle regardless of condition .

and yes sometimes i wish they could when you fail a car with 3 illegal tyres 2 with steel showing just for the owner to say he has 3 weeks mot left so will get it done then leaves the building puts 2 kids in back of car then drives off in the rain >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(
Just chilling in the sun. I wish back in the rain like everybody else
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 21 queries.