Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Will this work with my 1995 V6 Meega?  (Read 1990 times)

Jimbob

• Global Moderator
  • Chester / Flintshire
  • I like traffic lights, but only when they're green
    • E250 Est / Golf GTI
    • View Profile
Re: Will this work with my 1995 V6 Meega?
« Reply #1 on: 09 January 2007, 15:36:21 »

Think thats the one, ordered one (a bit cheaper) myself : 160049536957

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 09 January 2007, 16:08:40 »

yep will work, although the software is not very good apparently. You also need a real com port, a USB to COM adapter won't work...

JamesV6CDX

• Omega Queen
  • Gloucestershire/Buckinghamshire
    • Omega 3.2 Retail MV6 LPG
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 09 January 2007, 17:25:46 »

It says on the listing, 1997 onwards only?

Auto Addict

• Administrator
  • North Birmingham
  • Back to Vx to keep TB happy
    • Astra K Elite ST
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 09 January 2007, 17:30:34 »

I have a Scantool, which works on mine (engine only), but did not work on my mates 1998 estate as it is not OBDII complient.
I like red cars

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 09 January 2007, 17:31:20 »

So it does, not iic nothing happens in '97 to Omegas. '98 was the mini facelift...

PM The Boy to double check...

Auto Addict

• Administrator
  • North Birmingham
    • Astra K Elite ST
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 09 January 2007, 17:34:23 »

Don't think it will work on yours James, but I could be wrong.

I take it, you can do a paperclip test on yours?
I like red cars

rpont

• Intermediate Member
  • Tadcaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 09 January 2007, 19:34:19 »

Wasn't there a change to the electrics about 1996? The Haynes manual has two sets of wiring diagrams for ealrier and later circuits. My 1997 one is the later with the seperate radio blipper while the earlier ones had an IR remote as part of the key.

Chopsdad

• Omega Baron
  • Bouncy Castle in Carlisle
  • Keep it clean!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 09 January 2007, 21:04:17 »

So it does, not iic nothing happens in '97 to Omegas. '98 was the mini facelift...

PM The Boy to double check...

I'd second Tunnies advice - TB has had dealings with these devices and will have an opinion.  My car is listed and I bought one - it didn't work - sent it back & guy sent a USB version - it didn't work either - so I found a real Tech2 at Vx and slipped the mechanic a few quid to read/reset for me.  But seller claimed it was the car not the device but gave full refund anyway. FYI I paid £40+
[img name=signat_img_resize]http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o317/chopsdad/oof.jpg[/IMG]                                                       [img name=signat_img_resize]http://i123.photobucket.com/albu

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 09 January 2007, 21:29:37 »

OK, tiny bit of history.

GM used to use a handheld device called a Tech1. Good little device, but was struggling to cope with the expanded range of systems on newer cars. When the Omega came out, it had so made onboard systems, the Tech1 needed its own dedicated software cartridge (as well as a multiplexer).

So, in 1997, GM moved over to Tech2 device, a much more capable piece of hardware.

So, in general, a GM Tech1 needed for pre 97 cars (including pre 97 Omegas), and a Tech2 for post 97 cars.

However, as Tunnie rightly pointed out, there were no significant differences between 96 and 97 Omegas, so often a Tech2 can read some systems on a pre 97 car, as long as that same ECU existed on post 97 cars, and a Tech1 can read some parts of a post 97 car, as long as ecu existed on older cars.

The cheapo Tech2 software may or may not reconise the pre 97 ECUs if they did not exist post 97, or if the software/firmware version the ECU is running didn't exist post 97.  Knowing the flakey cheapo Tech2 software, it may not read it anyway...
Grumpy old man

Auto Addict

• Administrator
  • North Birmingham
    • Astra K Elite ST
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 09 January 2007, 22:06:10 »

OK, tiny bit of history.

GM used to use a handheld device called a Tech1. Good little device, but was struggling to cope with the expanded range of systems on newer cars. When the Omega came out, it had so made onboard systems, the Tech1 needed its own dedicated software cartridge (as well as a multiplexer).

So, in 1997, GM moved over to Tech2 device, a much more capable piece of hardware.

So, in general, a GM Tech1 needed for pre 97 cars (including pre 97 Omegas), and a Tech2 for post 97 cars.

However, as Tunnie rightly pointed out, there were no significant differences between 96 and 97 Omegas, so often a Tech2 can read some systems on a pre 97 car, as long as that same ECU existed on post 97 cars, and a Tech1 can read some parts of a post 97 car, as long as ecu existed on older cars.

The cheapo Tech2 software may or may not reconise the pre 97 ECUs if they did not exist post 97, or if the software/firmware version the ECU is running didn't exist post 97.  Knowing the flakey cheapo Tech2 software, it may not read it anyway...

Do you know why my scantool wouldn't read a 1998?
I like red cars

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 09 January 2007, 22:08:14 »

OK, tiny bit of history.

Do you know why my scantool wouldn't read a 1998?
The one that you acquired from Mark?  Thats a OBDII reader, hence will not work on pre OBDII Omegas (2.0,2.5,3.0)
Grumpy old man

Auto Addict

• Administrator
  • North Birmingham
    • Astra K Elite ST
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 09 January 2007, 22:09:24 »

Thanks, I thought so, just wanted to be sure.
I like red cars

Taxi_Driver

« Reply #13 on: 09 January 2007, 22:44:57 »

Thanks, I thought so, just wanted to be sure.

Take it back AA.....demand a refund... ;D

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 09 January 2007, 22:53:54 »

Interesting stuff, my thinking was that eBay box would work because your tech2 worked on my '95 Elite (although with limited capabilities)

Whist on the subject and sorry to hi-jack, I take it there is no way it can read a Senator? - I assume that needs a Tech1 connection, is it backwards compatible?

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 09 January 2007, 23:04:02 »

Interesting stuff, my thinking was that eBay box would work because your tech2 worked on my '95 Elite (although with limited capabilities)

Whist on the subject and sorry to hi-jack, I take it there is no way it can read a Senator? - I assume that needs a Tech1 connection, is it backwards compatible?
Read on the systems on you Elite except the AWTS (earlier type, not fitted after 1995) and seats (not sure if it was due to wrong ECU, or because of the fault with the seats (no power to ecu?)).  The cheapo one may not be quite so successful.

Tech2 won't work on Senator, Tech1 required. Tech1 can generally be picked up for a few hundred £...
Grumpy old man

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 09 January 2007, 23:12:42 »

Read on the systems on you Elite except the AWTS (earlier type, not fitted after 1995) and seats (not sure if it was due to wrong ECU, or because of the fault with the seats (no power to ecu?)).  The cheapo one may not be quite so successful.

Tech2 won't work on Senator, Tech1 required. Tech1 can generally be picked up for a few hundred £...

Thats more than the car! Think i'll use a paper clip  ;) :D

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 09 January 2007, 23:17:40 »

and you'll be able to read the gearbox, alarm, digi dash (obviously if fitted) ride control suspension.

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 09 January 2007, 23:19:47 »

and you'll be able to read the gearbox, alarm, digi dash (obviously if fitted) ride control suspension.

cool cheers for that  :y
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up

Page created in 0.028 seconds with 18 queries.