Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Broken Water Pump ??????  (Read 1720 times)

1960darrenh

• Kettering Northants
    • View Profile
Broken Water Pump ??????
« on: 18 June 2009, 22:25:48 »

I was travelling down the M1 on route to catch a flight from Heathrow on Tuesday. Suddenly steam was everywhere and when we stopped we could see that the water pump was knackered. After being recovered and taken to a local garage, I had the pump fixed. However, when the car was started up, there is now an extremely loud knocking and clanking coming from the top of the engine. It sounds like a london taxi!! (noisy diesel)

Has anyone got any ideas as to what is wrong? The only assumption I can come to is that the timing belt has maybe jumped a tooth or two. The engine was silent before the pump went and now I think I'm going to be looking at scrapping it! :(

Lizzie_Zoom

Re: Broken Water Pump ??????
« Reply #1 on: 18 June 2009, 22:29:19 »

I was travelling down the M1 on route to catch a flight from Heathrow on Tuesday. Suddenly steam was everywhere and when we stopped we could see that the water pump was knackered. After being recovered and taken to a local garage, I had the pump fixed. However, when the car was started up, there is now an extremely loud knocking and clanking coming from the top of the engine. It sounds like a london taxi!! (noisy diesel)

Has anyone got any ideas as to what is wrong? The only assumption I can come to is that the timing belt has maybe jumped a tooth or two. The engine was silent before the pump went and now I think I'm going to be looking at scrapping it! :(

I am afraid to say that when the water pump goes the cam belt can  / does jump and causes the pistons to hit the valves :'( :'( :'(

I think you have major engine damage. :( :( :(

shammster

• Essex, UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 18 June 2009, 22:31:20 »

Don't see any reason why the timing should have moved, it's a seperate belt, protected by a cover!

Sounds more like they bodged the job, or another pully on the aux belt has been damaged.
Check all the pullys round the belt and the tensioner, would not surprise me to find they have left something loose.
So many cars to fix, oh well open the beer!

1960darrenh

• Kettering Northants
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 18 June 2009, 22:31:46 »

I know that the 2.0l version, the cambelt goes round the water pump but mine is the 2.5l V6 and is separate to the pump. I cant see how that can happen. Do you reckon it could still be the timing?

shammster

• Essex, UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 18 June 2009, 22:32:00 »

Okay, I stand corrected, but how exactly?

1960darrenh

• Kettering Northants
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 18 June 2009, 22:34:14 »

The noise is deffo coming from inside the engine block (either cams, valves or pistons)  Funny thing is tho that the engine is not running lumpy or anything, just very very noisy.

shammster

• Essex, UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 18 June 2009, 22:34:16 »

Still would check the aux belt first, last touched is always first suspect!

1960darrenh

• Kettering Northants
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 18 June 2009, 22:38:27 »

Will do. If its serious would anyone be interested in taking the car off me for repair or for breaking?

It's been the best car ive ever had and im seriously gutted at the moment.

Turk

• Omega Baron
  • Llanelli, Wales
    • 2.5td, H-D XL1200
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 19 June 2009, 00:18:42 »

If it's just noisey, but still runs ok, then it can't be anything too serious.
Don't declare it a basket case just yet.  :y
Only a biker truly understands why a dog sticks it's head out of the window of a moving car.

Lizzie_Zoom

« Reply #9 on: 19 June 2009, 12:35:09 »

I am afraid to say that when the water pump goes the cam belt can  / does jump and causes the pistons to hit the valves :'( :'( :'(

I think you have major engine damage. :( :( :(

I am intrigued by this thread now. 8-) 8-) 8-)

Above I wrote what I believe is the case with a V6 as I have always believed that when  changing the cam belt it was important to change the water pump as I understood seizure of this can cause the cam belt to jump teeth and wreck the engine, as it can on other engines. :o :o :o  From what others are saying this only applies to the straight 4-pots of Vx.

As I have yet to do my V6 cam belt, but done others on non-V6's, can someone please confirm what is right what is wrong, which will also help answer the problem that the author of this thread has got? ;) ;) ;)
« Last Edit: 19 June 2009, 12:35:46 by Lizzie_Zoom »

1960darrenh

• Kettering Northants
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 19 June 2009, 12:49:44 »

The V6 cambelt does not touch the water pump at all. It was only the 2.0litre version. The water pump is driven by the drive belt. Changing the water pump on a V6 does not disturb the cambelt. Hope that answers your question.  :y

As for my problem, I think its possible that when the bearing went in the water pump, it may had sent shards of metal at high speed onto the cambelt and made it jump teeth. I'm getting a diagnosis today and resetting the timing manually to see if the noise stops, but by the way the car sounds at the moment, its going to be sold as spares or repair!  :'(
« Last Edit: 19 June 2009, 12:53:57 by 1960darrenh »

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 19 June 2009, 13:04:56 »

LZ - Aux belt failures have been known to to knacker cambelt was it whips round. On that basis, the general concensus is to replace pump every 2 cambelts

Grumpy old man

Lizzie_Zoom

« Reply #12 on: 19 June 2009, 13:08:02 »

LZ - Aux belt failures have been known to to knacker cambelt was it whips round. On that basis, the general concensus is to replace pump every 2 cambelts

Right, thanks TB! :y :y  Now I understand the connection between the two! ::) ;) ;)

1960darrenh

• Kettering Northants
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 19 June 2009, 13:09:05 »

The aux belt didnt fail and was actually still on the alternator, tensioner and water pump when it was taken off. I think in this case its unlikely to be that.

Lizzie_Zoom

« Reply #14 on: 19 June 2009, 13:10:44 »

The V6 cambelt does not touch the water pump at all. It was only the 2.0litre version. The water pump is driven by the drive belt. Changing the water pump on a V6 does not disturb the cambelt. Hope that answers your question.  :y

As for my problem, I think its possible that when the bearing went in the water pump, it may had sent shards of metal at high speed onto the cambelt and made it jump teeth. I'm getting a diagnosis today and resetting the timing manually to see if the noise stops, but by the way the car sounds at the moment, its going to be sold as spares or repair!  :'(

Cheers!! :y :y :y

I do hope that there is good news for you on this one, although to me it does not sound good, especially with what I now know as fact :'( :'( :'( :'(
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.029 seconds with 21 queries.