Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Concrete fence posts  (Read 3874 times)

redelitev6

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile
Concrete fence posts
« on: 28 January 2016, 17:17:33 »

Our garden fence has taken a real battering of late and is starting to look very shabby , I fancy replacing it with a concrete post and gravel board system , has anyone tried this and how did it work out price wise ?

Jimbob

• Global Moderator
  • Chester / Flintshire
  • I like traffic lights, but only when they're green
    • E250 Est / Golf GTI
    • View Profile
Re: Concrete fence posts
« Reply #1 on: 28 January 2016, 17:24:15 »

It's the way to go. Keeps the wood off the ground and lasts a long long time. And quick and easy to change a panel if you need to.

Crazycarzowner

« Reply #2 on: 28 January 2016, 17:28:58 »

I did ours about 6 years ago, bloody hard work at the time lifting the 8ft posts into place but once cemented in using that quick setting stuff, they won't blow away  :y and as Jimbob says keeps the wood off the ground so stops rotting prematurely and easy to slot in new panels when needed.

2boxerdogs

« Reply #3 on: 28 January 2016, 17:30:56 »

Did ours probably around 15 years ago no problems definitely the best option.

STEMO

« Reply #4 on: 28 January 2016, 18:05:13 »

We did ours in Wakefield about five years back. Someone nicked two panels on the first night so I had to put metal retainers on them.  :(

biggriffin

• Omega Lord
  • huntingdon, Hoof'land
    • Vectra in a posh frock.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 28 January 2016, 19:36:02 »

Had ours done 18mths ago. Well worth it...fit and forget,  ;D
Hoof'land storeman.

kevinp58

• Omega Knight
  • kent
    • 2002 3.2 elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 28 January 2016, 20:12:49 »

Just make sure you get strong panels the vertical feather edge with wood frame are good or the cheaper ones will just bow in the wind and fly out.  :o

Gaffers

• Omega Queen
  • NE Hampshire/Surrey
    • Ford Ranger Wildtrak
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 28 January 2016, 20:13:36 »

We did ours in Wakefield about five years back. Someone nicked two panels on the first night so I had to put metal retainers on them.  :(

Surely as a scouser you just nicked someone else's  ;D

flyer 0712

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 28 January 2016, 20:19:55 »

25 years ago i replaced my brother in laws 14 fence post and panels with concrete kick boards.....three years ago we replaced the panels...2nd lot in the 22 years so not bad....the concrete posts had not moved an inch and were still in great condition...and needed no attention....the concrete kick boards had sunk and we lifted them out and reset them and only 3 showed signs of frost damage but again ok to re-use... I remember well the weight of those 8ft posts and could not lift them now..but would say it is definatly the way to go if you dont mind hard work and you sink them in deep enough with plenty of cement around them ...they also will last for years  :y :y

redelitev6

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 28 January 2016, 20:49:26 »

::) Looks like I've got a job coming up soon then !

STEMO

« Reply #10 on: 28 January 2016, 21:12:33 »

Surely as a scouser you just nicked someone else's  ;D
I'd have needed help to get them up and over but the wife wasn't up for it.  :(

pscocoa

• Omega Baron
  • Sandhurst Berkshire
    • Volvo V90 D5 AWD
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 28 January 2016, 21:16:11 »

25 years ago i replaced my brother in laws 14 fence post and panels with concrete kick boards.....three years ago we replaced the panels...2nd lot in the 22 years so not bad....the concrete posts had not moved an inch and were still in great condition...and needed no attention....the concrete kick boards had sunk and we lifted them out and reset them and only 3 showed signs of frost damage but again ok to re-use... I remember well the weight of those 8ft posts and could not lift them now..but would say it is definatly the way to go if you dont mind hard work and you sink them in deep enough with plenty of cement around them ...they also will last for years  :y :y

Same here. Erected in 1999 just starting to replace panels now. Gravel boards haven't moved.
[img name=signat_img_resize]http://[/img]

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 29 January 2016, 00:04:06 »

Got ours replaced last year. Concrete posts and gravel boards. It came to about £80-90 A panel fitted if memory serves.
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Jimbob

• Global Moderator
  • Chester / Flintshire
  • I like traffic lights, but only when they're green
    • E250 Est / Golf GTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 29 January 2016, 05:36:19 »

Got ours replaced last year. Concrete posts and gravel boards. It came to about £80-90 A panel fitted if memory serves.

Think ours was about £60 a 'bay'.  Not worth doing it yourself at that price, by the time youve bought everything!

Phil

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 29 January 2016, 06:42:59 »

8ft concrete posts are around £15-20 each, 6ft long 300mm gravel boards are around £10-15, 5ft*6ft fence panels go from around £10 for a cheapy to £25 for an expensive one, bags of cement £2.50 each, bags of all in one ballast £2.00 each - premixed post concrete around £4 a bag.

Remember you need to bury the post at least 600mm (2ft) in the ground so you need to match panel and gravel board size to post lengths - i.e. 5ft panel + 300m gravel board + 600mm in ground = 8ft post

In the better quality posts the panel groove stops about 450mm short at the bottom end, meaning where the most stress is its solid. They are also generally a smother face so higher resistance to frost attack

As for building it, line and level your first post concrete it in with a very dry mix (moisture in the ground this time of year will be enough for the mix), drop in the gravel board and set your next post with it on place then you know it fits and don't look a dick when you cant get the panels and boards in later because its moved  :D

Tip tip:- If you are replacing an old fence, make the first panel of your new fence 3ft wide (or a different width to the old fence) instead of the same width then, when you dig the holes for your new posts its not on top of the old ones and you don't have to dig all the old concrete out
« Last Edit: 29 January 2016, 06:44:40 by Phil »
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.045 seconds with 22 queries.