Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: RIP Tony Bones from Wheels in Motion  (Read 2416 times)

Jimbob

• Global Moderator
  • Chester / Flintshire
  • I like traffic lights, but only when they're green
    • E250 Est / Golf GTI
    • View Profile
RIP Tony Bones from Wheels in Motion
« on: 28 February 2022, 10:04:02 »

Sorry to say Tony from Wheels in Motion has passed away following a battle with cancer.

I know a lot of us here met and liked him, and his knowledge improved the handling of many of our cars, either directly at his place, or just by using his knowledge.

He did a great owners day for us too some time ago.

https://www.wheels-inmotion.co.uk/forum/index.php?/topic/20198-rip-tony-bones-we-have-lost-a-legend/

YZ250

• Omega Baron
  • Oxford/Bucks border
    • Black 3.2 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
Re: RIP Tony Bones from Wheels in Motion
« Reply #1 on: 28 February 2022, 10:24:57 »

Sorry to hear that. I only met Tony a couple of times but he was a really easy guy to talk to and came across as a decent person.
RIP Tony.
My fun car is a 2020 Bmw F32 430d M Sport with indicators.
My cruiser is an Audi A6 Avant S Line Black Edition with indicators.

GastronomicKleptomaniac

• Omega Baron
  • Teesside (the nice bit)
    • 3.2 plod, 2.6 MV6, etc
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 28 February 2022, 12:59:04 »

Bloody hell. Met him a few years ago and he was a proper gent. RIP.
Servicing and repairs done in NE. Special rates for OOFers! PM me.

VXL V6

• Omega Lord
  • Solihull
    • 530D M Sport, Elite 3.2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 28 February 2022, 14:40:31 »

Such a genuine, honest guy, what a shame. All my Omega's have been to WIM and most were set up by Tony.

RIP Tony

JamesV6CDX

• Omega Queen
  • Gloucestershire/Buckinghamshire
    • Omega 3.2 Retail MV6 LPG
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 02 March 2022, 19:08:02 »

I am saddened to hear this - I spent many an hour chatting to Tony when he set up various Omega project cars. Thoroughly decent bloke and a huge loss.

Rangie

• Omega Lord
  • Lincolnshire
    • RRS TDV8 Subaru Forester
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 02 March 2022, 19:21:51 »

Didn't know him but isn't it tragic when you lose people who have the knowledge & skills to "fix" things properly as he obviously did from the comments,unfortunately a lot of skills will be lost over the next few years because very few are coming along to replace these type of folk.
Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level & beat you with their experience.

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • Omega 3.2 V6 ELITE 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 02 March 2022, 20:06:19 »

Didn't know him but isn't it tragic when you lose people who have the knowledge & skills to "fix" things properly as he obviously did from the comments,unfortunately a lot of skills will be lost over the next few years because very few are coming along to replace these type of folk.

Yes it is, but the demise of the internal combustion engine will render so many of his skills as almost as obsolete as the skills of steam engine engineers, with a fast reducing opportunities in those fields. :'( :'(

Rangie

• Omega Lord
  • Lincolnshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 02 March 2022, 20:24:11 »

Yes it is, but the demise of the internal combustion engine will render so many of his skills as almost as obsolete as the skills of steam engine engineers, with a fast reducing opportunities in those fields. :'( :'(

The throw away society that we're trying to get away from will simply get worse.
« Last Edit: 02 March 2022, 20:38:23 by Rangie »
Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level & beat you with their experience.

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • Omega 3.2 V6 ELITE 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 03 March 2022, 08:56:59 »

The throw away society that we're trying to get away from will simply get worse.

I wonder if internal combustion engine collectors numbers will dramatically increase as so many of those will become available from many types of vehicles and will become a curiosity?   Can you imagine men with garages and warehouses everywhere having Rolls Royce, Jaguar, Lamborghini, Lotus, etc examples all together - not the car bodies, but just the engines and swapping them for others in their clubs! ::) ;D ;D 

Now someone is going to tell me that happens already in some quantity!! Sad souls!! ::) ::) ;D ;D ;D

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 03 March 2022, 11:35:04 »

Milk floats still has the same suspension and steering, so any geometry skills are still relevant and needed  :-\
Grumpy old man

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 03 March 2022, 12:03:40 »

No impact at all, EVs require wheel geo setting and adjusting just the same as an ICE or PHEV  :y

Rangie

• Omega Lord
  • Lincolnshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 03 March 2022, 13:05:54 »

Strange how he goes from being knowledgeable and having a wealth of experience ,to him doing something to any spotty youth could do strange comments.

VXL V6

• Omega Lord
  • Solihull
    • 530D M Sport, Elite 3.2
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 03 March 2022, 13:12:37 »

Strange how he goes from being knowledgeable and having a wealth of experience ,to him doing something to any spotty youth could do strange comments.

Tony Bones was infinitely more knowledgeable than any spotty youth operating a machine and just getting most of the markers 'in the green', what he didn't know about chassis setup on cars, race cars, drift cars, touring cars etc etc wasn't worth knowing, he advised and worked as a consultant for many top level motorsport teams and vehicle manufacturers.

Rangie

• Omega Lord
  • Lincolnshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 03 March 2022, 13:25:58 »

Tony Bones was infinitely more knowledgeable than any spotty youth operating a machine and just getting most of the markers 'in the green', what he didn't know about chassis setup on cars, race cars, drift cars, touring cars etc etc wasn't worth knowing, he advised and worked as a consultant for many top level motorsport teams and vehicle manufacturers.

This is exactly what I meant he was obviously brilliant at his job & went the extra mile which shone through in the first comments to start mentioning milk floats etc I think is an insult to him.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 03 March 2022, 13:28:44 »

Can't see where anyone suggested that, all I can see is comments that those types of skills are still needed in the tragic world of Milk Floats.

As VXL V6 says, there are those that understand what is happening, and why. And those who can just about do "what the computer says, mate". When it comes to chassis setups, Tony from WIM was one of the best in the country.
Grumpy old man
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 18 queries.