Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Mounting a fire extinguisher  (Read 4991 times)

cruisetopoland

• Omega Knight
  • UK
    • View Profile
Mounting a fire extinguisher
« on: 13 November 2009, 15:29:36 »

I need to mount a 1kg ABC powder (mourning the sad loss of the best Halon 1211 types  >:( >:() fire extinguisher in a facelift Omega cabin if poss.

I usually mount these on the floor of the passenger footwell, screwed into the cross member, but there is not enough clearance for the seat adjuster bar, so must go elsewhere.

Apart from chucking in the first aid compartment, anyone got any ideas for a neat, easy to reach, discreet mounting solution?

(Extinguisher is brand new, tidy and in date-code; was told they are spot checked if unlucky abroad).

Help appreciated  :y

Jimbob

• Global Moderator
  • Chester / Flintshire
  • I like traffic lights, but only when they're green
    • E250 Est / Golf GTI
    • View Profile
Re: Mounting a fire extinguisher
« Reply #1 on: 13 November 2009, 17:07:31 »

Why?

If no very good reason, dont.

IF your car catches fire, burns a bit and you put it out...

Insurance will try and say bad maintainance etc caused it, to avoid paying out.

If it burns fully, they have to pay out.

I have always been advised to let the car burn, as hard as that may be.

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 13 November 2009, 17:25:42 »

I would add the obvious point that, if you're going to mount a fire extinguisher in the passenger compartment, make sure it is not liable to become a missile in the event of an accident.

I'm inclined to think that, in a standard production car used on the road, a fire is a rare eventuality, and your best course of action in such an event would probably be to get yourself to safety and not be distracted by a fire extinguisher, TBH.

If it's safe enough to try to save the car, it'll be safe to get an extinguisher out of the boot, IMHO.

Kevin
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

joshwyatt

• Omega Baron
  • Oxford
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 13 November 2009, 17:33:16 »

I agree completely with Kevin...
I have one in the boot, the police put theirs in the boot of the saloon, so I do the same. Mounting in the cabin I've never thought to be a good idea. If in the unfortunate event that the vehicle rolls, you have a heavy object flying around the insdide of the vehicle, even if it does appear to be fixed securely. Minibuses have them mounted internally, but they are factory fitted or by a specalist conversion company.
Personally, I'd say just put it in the boot and make sure it is secure enough.

Welung666

« Reply #4 on: 13 November 2009, 17:49:51 »

European rules... They have to be within reach of the driver at all times. Hefty € fine otherwise. Same with bulb kit/warning triangle/first aid kit/ high viz jacket in the boot.

LFF64

• Omega Knight
  • HADDENHAM BUCKS
    • 64 insignia CT Nav 4x4
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 13 November 2009, 17:50:51 »

I have a 1kg Powder type mounted in the boot of mine
 Its mounted laying down screwed to the plastic trim along the edge of the boot opening its actually faily out of the way there but also farily accesable if need
This size of extinguisher will only give about 15 seconds of use if used in one burst
 It may be enough to help you or maybe someone else .
 I was advised by the extinguisher service engineer it is best to store this type of ex on its side to prevent the powder settling/compacting   . I also have mine serviced by them once a year .  A perk of being the fire Marshall at work  :y

Welung666

« Reply #6 on: 13 November 2009, 17:52:53 »

I have a 1kg Powder type mounted in the boot of mine
 Its mounted laying down screwed to the plastic trim along the edge of the boot opening its actually faily out of the way there but also farily accesable if need
This size of extinguisher will only give about 15 seconds of use if used in one burst
 It may be enough to help you or maybe someone else .
 I was advised by the extinguisher service engineer it is best to store this type of ex on its side to prevent the powder settling/compacting   . I also have mine serviced by them once a year .  A perk of being the fire Marshall at work  :y

Ditto ;) Got a 5kg dry powder and a 10 litre liquid chemical in the garage at home ;D

rob in gib

• Plymouth
    • Jaguar S type 3.0
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 13 November 2009, 17:59:42 »

according to the RAC a fire extinguisher is not a legal requirement but advised however the hi viz jacket must be within reach off the driver not in the boot

which country are you traveling to and through ?

Just chilling in the sun. I wish back in the rain like everybody else

feeutfo

« Reply #8 on: 13 November 2009, 18:29:30 »

European rules?

Rant on.
Ffs. Some bell end in brussells decides he or she knows better than any other car maker in the world and comes up with this crap. Are new cars being fitted with fire extinguishers? Are we in the uk taking part? Do we know what country is taking part or not? Are those with kids exempt in case they get inquisitive and set the thing off in their face? What happens if it goes off while driving and fills the car with dust etc. How many car fires do we actually have these days! And of those how many make any odds at all if the owner has a fire extinguisher or not. If my Mrs is driving and the car catches fire the last thing i expect to happen is for her to put the fire out with it. What utter 'dangle berries'! Probably wouldnt bother myself!
Rant off!

Is this the result of the tunnel fire or just made up for the laugh?

Noting the date today I'LL not tempt fate any further until i get home. But should be fine as its pessing down.

Welung666

« Reply #9 on: 13 November 2009, 18:30:26 »

He travels to northern Poland, so France, Belgium, Germany and Poland at a guess.

Welung666

« Reply #10 on: 13 November 2009, 18:32:06 »

European rules?

Rant on.
Ffs. Some bell end in brussells decides he or she knows better than any other car maker in the world and comes up with this crap. Are new cars being fitted with fire extinguishers? Are we in the uk taking part? Do we know what country is taking part or not? Are those with kids exempt in case they get inquisitive and set the thing off in their face? What happens if it goes off while driving and fills the car with dust etc. How many car fires do we actually have these days! And of those how many make any odds at all if the owner has a fire extinguisher or not. If my Mrs is driving and the car catches fire the last thing i expect to happen is for her to put the fire out with it. What utter 'dangle berries'! Probably wouldnt bother myself!
Rant off!

Noting the date today I'LL not tempt fate any further until i get home. But should be fine as its pessing down.

This was in when I was still on continentals so easily longer than 8 years, I think the straw fire made them enforce it more stringently though.

rob in gib

• Plymouth
    • Jaguar S type 3.0
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 13 November 2009, 18:45:56 »

He travels to northern Poland, so France, Belgium, Germany and Poland at a guess.

Then Belgium is the only country that requires an extinguisher but does not require it to be in the cabin area so mount it in the boot
Just chilling in the sun. I wish back in the rain like everybody else

cruisetopoland

• Omega Knight
  • UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 13 November 2009, 20:29:15 »

WOW!

Great response, everyone-very useful!

Agree about not wanting to be missile, would prefer in boot.
Agree re insurance (!!), have used extinguishers on other peoples cars a few times-once when woman was trapped...
Used to sell firefighting eqpt, ABC do compact if upright, Halon 1211s were 500x better before being outlawed for CFCs, FFS!  They get through rad grille 20x better than daft powder....

Will read all comments again and fit this weekend, needs to be legal for all of EU, next trip is Holland, Belgium, Germany, Poland next month.

CHEERS ALL  :y :y :y

Omegadoha, Desert Member

• Omega Knight
  • Doha, Qatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 14 November 2009, 08:10:47 »

I have mine mounted at the side of the passenger footwell, centre console side. It wouldn't go under the seat. But in the footwell there is enough room for the passenger.

Ken T

• Omega Baron
  • Stockport
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 14 November 2009, 09:10:31 »

European rules?

Rant on.
Rant off!

Very rare, yes however there was a volvo 4*4 thingy, a modern one alight on the M606 last week. The fire brigade were busy at work, but there was something underneath glowing red hot.

How much use would one of these small extinguishers be anyway . If there is 65L of petrol about to combust, I don't want to be anywhere near it.  :o

Ken
I used to be indecisive; now I'm not so sure...

Ken T

• Omega Baron
  • Stockport
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 14 November 2009, 09:12:31 »

Remember there was  a system that put an extinguishing line next to the petrol line. That seemed a good idea. What happened to it ?.

Ken

r1

• Omega Knight
  • nottingham
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 15 November 2009, 16:01:45 »

Remember there was  a system that put an extinguishing line next to the petrol line. That seemed a good idea. What happened to it ?.

Ken

can still get this system on trucks etc

r1

• Omega Knight
  • nottingham
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 15 November 2009, 16:05:47 »

I need to mount a 1kg ABC powder (mourning the sad loss of the best Halon 1211 types  >:( >:() fire extinguisher in a facelift Omega cabin if poss.

I usually mount these on the floor of the passenger footwell, screwed into the cross member, but there is not enough clearance for the seat adjuster bar, so must go elsewhere.

Apart from chucking in the first aid compartment, anyone got any ideas for a neat, easy to reach, discreet mounting solution?

(Extinguisher is brand new, tidy and in date-code; was told they are spot checked if unlucky abroad).

dont no if things have changed but i was told a few years ago by a fire officer that powder was no good in the car.the reason being that as your car bumps about the powder compacts makeing in no good when you come to use it

hotel21

• Administrator
  • The Kingdom of Fife
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 15 November 2009, 16:11:25 »

dont no if things have changed but i was told a few years ago by a fire officer that powder was no good in the car.the reason being that as your car bumps about the powder compacts makeing in no good when you come to use it

We were told to give them a damn good shaking, cocktail shaker style, befoe discharging them and, if possible, a shake when in use too for exactly that problem.   :)

r1

• Omega Knight
  • nottingham
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 15 November 2009, 17:59:02 »

so your cars on fire you hit the fire ex and it doesnt work then you remeber to shake it try again then shake it again half way through
as the extinguisher only lasts about 40 secs you might have 5 secs on the car!!!
also if its a underbonnet fire just pull the release handel BUT DONT OPEN IT

Elite Pete

• Omega Queen
  • Chester
  • My spider senses are tingling
    • Audi SQ5 GSX1400
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 15 November 2009, 18:09:58 »

Mounting a fire extinguisher makes your balls cold ::)
Retired

Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Glasgow
    • Irmscher 3.2 V6 Elite
    • View Profile
    • My Vauxhall Omega's
« Reply #21 on: 15 November 2009, 19:14:13 »

I've fitted mine to the underside of the parcel shelf, so as you open the boot it's hanging there and it doesn't get in the way and its easy to access :y
« Last Edit: 15 November 2009, 19:15:07 by jim »
Vauxhall & Halfords Trade Club Card Holder - Irmscher 3.0 V6 Elite & Irmscher 3.2 V6 Elite

Ken T

• Omega Baron
  • Stockport
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 15 November 2009, 22:42:50 »

An old Glasgow solution to this problem was to keep a 4 pack of McEwans in the boot. If you had a fire, just shake one before pointing it and pulling the ring.  :) Bit of a waste but ...........

Ken

hotel21

• Administrator
  • The Kingdom of Fife
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 15 November 2009, 23:02:25 »

so your cars on fire you hit the fire ex and it doesnt work then you remeber to shake it try again then shake it again half way through
as the extinguisher only lasts about 40 secs you might have 5 secs on the car!!!

Never had to put out a fire in my car but had to discharge an extinguisher or several on other peoples...

Only relaying the info I was told regarding shaking the extinguisher.  After the first 2 or 3 it becomes second nature if its a dry powder setup.

As to opening the bonnet, agreed.  The inrush of fresh air can be spectacular....  Pointless squirting it through the radiator grille - theres a radiator in the way!

Had success by discharging it upwards from underneath, past the engine undertray.   :y

cruisetopoland

• Omega Knight
  • UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 16 November 2009, 11:52:39 »

Never had to put out a fire in my car but had to discharge an extinguisher or several on other peoples...

Only relaying the info I was told regarding shaking the extinguisher.  After the first 2 or 3 it becomes second nature if its a dry powder setup.

As to opening the bonnet, agreed.  The inrush of fresh air can be spectacular....  Pointless squirting it through the radiator grille - theres a radiator in the way!

Had success by discharging it upwards from underneath, past the engine undertray.   :y

This is why the old Halon1211 gas ones were much better-they got through the rad no probs.

Why ban it due to cfcs when putting out the fire would be better ecologically??

ABC powder are hopeless compared...

cruisetopoland

• Omega Knight
  • UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 20 November 2009, 12:26:55 »

Now just placed in first aid kit compartment, in rear corner against rear light.  It is held in nicely by the first aid box cradle when shut and the light/inner paintwork is protected by cardboard.

Sorted :y

Nearly did screw to underside of rear parcel shelf, but need height for suitcases etc.  Thanks all  :y

Selseybill

• La Rochelle
    • 2.0 pre face, 2.2 CDX est
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 20 November 2009, 14:57:28 »

Sounds bloody dangerous having all this loose kit in the cabin,could cause more damage in a crash than it's worth.
We live in La Rochelle western France for 6 months of the year,all the kit except for the hi-viz are in the boot.
I could see the Police having a field day with all this loose stuff  rolling about in the cabin.
There is nothing the European transport law that states all the safety kit must be in the cars cabin,it only states safety kit must be in the car.
Just stuff your hi-viz in the door pockets other bits in the boot and enjoy your trip. :y
P.s
 The funny thing with fire extinguishers is unless you are trained to use one,your not supposed to use it.As a licensed Taxi driver by law we have to carry a fire extinguisher and first aid kit but as non of us has been trained on the equipment we can't use them.
« Last Edit: 20 November 2009, 15:03:12 by Selseybill »

cruisetopoland

• Omega Knight
  • UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 20 November 2009, 15:41:15 »

Sounds bloody dangerous having all this loose kit in the cabin,could cause more damage in a crash than it's worth.
We live in La Rochelle western France for 6 months of the year,all the kit except for the hi-viz are in the boot.
I could see the Police having a field day with all this loose stuff  rolling about in the cabin.
There is nothing the European transport law that states all the safety kit must be in the cars cabin,it only states safety kit must be in the car.
Just stuff your hi-viz in the door pockets other bits in the boot and enjoy your trip. :y
P.s
 The funny thing with fire extinguishers is unless you are trained to use one,your not supposed to use it.As a licensed Taxi driver by law we have to carry a fire extinguisher and first aid kit but as non of us has been trained on the equipment we can't use them.

Its not loose, its in the first aid compartment, which is locked shut.  I never have anything loose, anywhere in car after rolling one many years ago and being hit in the face by the contents of the whole car.

Using the fire extinguisher and first aid kit is common sense-don't tell me you need training to use a fire extinguisher  ;D-you can read the instructions.
First aid is just that-the first aid until someone who knows what they are doing gets there-there will be a straightforward guide in the first aid box.

I know there is a liability issue, but hopefully common sense will prevail when necessary  ;D

cruisetopoland

• Omega Knight
  • UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 20 November 2009, 15:41:57 »

PS The first aid compartment is in the boot anyway  :y

Selseybill

• La Rochelle
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 21 November 2009, 15:57:11 »

P.s

Its not loose, its in the first aid compartment, which is locked shut.  I never have anything loose, anywhere in car after rolling one many years ago and being hit in the face by the contents of the whole car.

Using the fire extinguisher and first aid kit is common sense-don't tell me you need training to use a fire extinguisher  ;D-you can read the instructions.
First aid is just that-the first aid until someone who knows what they are doing gets there-there will be a straightforward guide in the first aid box.

I know there is a liability issue, but hopefully common sense will prevail when necessary  ;D

Unless we go on a recognised course for the extinguisher and the first aid kit as a cost of over £400 each we cant use them.Even putting a plaster on a cut on someone that gets infected we are liable.
So if you have a cut/headache or set you pants on fire i cant help you cause you might sue me but i can offer the first aid kit & extinguisher for you to use your self.

When the London taxis LTI TX4 were having  problems catching fire(including mine),2 taxi driver were not paid out by their insurance companies due to them using the extinguishers to put the fires out that were not trained to use.Sad but true
When mine caught fire i just got the burgers and buns out,best BBQ i've ever had and the best way to get rid of a 6 month old £36k taxi.GF08 GFA R.I.P

cruisetopoland

• Omega Knight
  • UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 21 November 2009, 18:58:42 »

Something is wrong there somewhere and desperately needs sorting by the relevant authorities-quickly.

I'm quite sure the Germans prosecute bystanders who do not help in an emergency-but as seems normal in the UK , common sense does not prevail as it is just not common enough  :-?

Selseybill

• La Rochelle
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 21 November 2009, 19:50:11 »

you seem to travel to Poland a lot,so what countries are you worried about

cruisetopoland

• Omega Knight
  • UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 21 November 2009, 19:59:00 »

you seem to travel to Poland a lot,so what countries are you worried about

Only the UK where people fit fire and first aid kit to improve safety, but are too nervous of litigation or loss to use it.... :-/

Welung666

« Reply #33 on: 21 November 2009, 20:14:52 »

I'm a qualified first aider and fire marshall but would still be very careful when and where I put these in to practise!

cruisetopoland

• Omega Knight
  • UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 21 November 2009, 20:48:11 »

I'm a qualified first aider and fire marshall but would still be very careful when and where I put these in to practise!

You'd use common sense-not blankly refuse to use it in any situation.  My point exactly  :y

Welung666

« Reply #35 on: 21 November 2009, 20:54:59 »

You'd use common sense-not blankly refuse to use it in any situation.  My point exactly  :y

Well I certainly wouldn't stand idle but I'd assess the situation before I even contemplated involving myself into it if that makes sense?

cruisetopoland

• Omega Knight
  • UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 21 November 2009, 21:09:08 »

Well I certainly wouldn't stand idle but I'd assess the situation before I even contemplated involving myself into it if that makes sense?

See earlier post re: fitting kit into taxis but not having training so they will not be used.  Common sense would be not fitting the kit, or fitting it and having training.  In any situation, I could not have kit available and refuse to help due to being worried about being sued.

I have had some training-used to sell fire equipment and have first aid at work training, but if I had the kit in my daily vehicle and had no training, I would at least read the extinguisher instructions and first aid manual to be able to be of some use, rather than saying "ain't covered, ain't had the training..."

Selseybill

• La Rochelle
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 22 November 2009, 20:50:42 »

See earlier post re: fitting kit into taxis but not having training so they will not be used.  Common sense would be not fitting the kit, or fitting it and having training.  In any situation, I could not have kit available and refuse to help due to being worried about being sued.

I have had some training-used to sell fire equipment and have first aid at work training, but if I had the kit in my daily vehicle and had no training, I would at least read the extinguisher instructions and first aid manual to be able to be of some use, rather than saying "ain't covered, ain't had the training..."

I would help but am leaving myself open to be sued if something goes wrong or the person i helped wanted to claim more monies from someone.The UK is getting like the USA with all these no win,no fee's.I was just stating our stupid taxi rules in Chichester.If some A**ole complained after i helped them i would be suspended for up to 3 months

cruisetopoland

• Omega Knight
  • UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 22 November 2009, 20:58:03 »

I would help but am leaving myself open to be sued if something goes wrong or the person i helped wanted to claim more monies from someone.The UK is getting like the USA with all these no win,no fee's.I was just stating our stupid taxi rules in Chichester.If some A**ole complained after i helped them i would be suspended for up to 3 months

Understood  :y
What a stupid situation though..
In the same circumstance, I would enquire of the taxi association what they plan to do about this.  The fire service provide excellent training courses and St Johns do cheap first aid courses.  Surely you must have some liability cover through your insurers or through the association?

There would be an easy way around this  :y
If not, write to someone and get it highlighted as a safety issue, because someone will then do something.
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Up

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 21 queries.