Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: battery -fuse?  (Read 2603 times)

rolex666

• northants
    • View Profile
battery -fuse?
« on: 10 January 2011, 11:03:30 »

Did a very foolish thing at the week end, flat battery so bought a jumper pack, tried to start my 1999 3.0 elite, and , like the doughnut that I am, didn't check the polarity of the battery, instead, trusted the Vauxhall wiring. However, this has red for earth[ Why????] when nothing would work checked and found reversed leads, changed back and, while interior lights now work, the engine  still wont turn over. Can anyone shed any light on this please.

I_want_an_Omega

Re: battery -fuse?
« Reply #1 on: 10 January 2011, 11:13:29 »

I wouldn't know where to start here TBH as untold damage could have been done to any manner of systems.  :-[ :-[ :-[

Does the central locking & windows work? These are electronically controlled.

Do you get a sensible display or warning lights on the dash before it fails to start?

The starter maybe controlled by the immobiliser and as that's an electronic control unit its possible that being frazzled might be the source of your problems.

Fingers crossed its somethi9ng simple(ish) for you.

Kneepad

• Omega Knight
  • West Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 10 January 2011, 11:42:09 »

You may well have done some damage. First of all check the voltage on the battery.

It's not a jumper pack you need but a battery charger.

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 10 January 2011, 11:50:43 »

....., didn't check the polarity of the battery, instead, trusted the Vauxhall wiring. However, this has red for earth[ Why????]  .....

Which has red for earth? The car or your jumper pack?  :-/
Vauxhall's earth lead is brown and when the battery is on the car is the connection closest to you. The other connector furthest from you has a red lead & is the positive terminal.
All the fuses would be a good place to start.  :-/

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 10 January 2011, 11:52:19 »

It's only the same as getting a jump start & if you need your car now rather than an hour or two  ;)

rolex666

• northants
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 10 January 2011, 13:25:59 »

Hi again,
Thanks for all the interest and advice. I took the jump start pack to the car again today and lo and behold it did , just, turn the engine.
The display lights and windows all work, but strangely, when I press the test button on the jumper [ when its connected to the battery ] it registers hardly any charge, but when its disconnected it says it has a full charge. I wonder if the car battery has been damaged and so reducing the charge from the jumper through to the starter motor?. As, is patently obvious, electricity and I are not natural bedfellows[ its black magic ] so this may be just clutching at straws, is there a simple way to test a battery?

Jimbob

• Global Moderator
  • Chester / Flintshire
  • I like traffic lights, but only when they're green
    • E250 Est / Golf GTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 10 January 2011, 13:36:10 »

A lot of these cheap jump start packs havent the power to start an omega.  Can you try with a traditional jump start?

Kneepad

• Omega Knight
  • West Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 10 January 2011, 13:57:27 »

It's only the same as getting a jump start & if you need your car now rather than an hour or two  ;)

Agreed, however, getting a jump start is a 'get you out of a hole' remedy until you can charge the battery properly.  ;)

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 10 January 2011, 15:31:54 »

Agreed, however, getting a jump start is a 'get you out of a hole' remedy until you can charge the battery properly.  ;)

Completely agree! Or even change the battery for a new one.  :y  :y

rolex666

• northants
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 10 January 2011, 15:54:50 »

Hi again,
The jump start pack has started it before so I'm confident its up to the job. The trouble is I only use the car at week ends and its been sitting over xmas, I think the alarm or something like it drains the battery if left too long.So once its started it will charge the battery OK .

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 10 January 2011, 16:10:14 »

Hi again,
The jump start pack has started it before so I'm confident its up to the job. The trouble is I only use the car at week ends and its been sitting over xmas, I think the alarm or something like it drains the battery if left too long.So once its started it will charge the battery OK .

At this stage, though, it's an unknown that you need to remove from the equation. What if the jump start pack has a fusible link inside that protects it from reverse connection?

I would charge the battery properly, check all the vehicle fuses (ECUs are normally protected by a device that takes out the fuse if they are reverse connected) and then try again.

If the car won't even turn over on the starter, it points to fusible link FV 4 which is in the PDS fuse box that sits above the positive battery terminal.

Kevin
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • 3.2 Elite 2.0 TitX Mondeo
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 10 January 2011, 16:27:06 »

I'm sure Kevin won't mind me pointing to his excellent battery test 'How to' here: http://www.omegaowners.com/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1225724099

HTH :y

Omegatoy

• Omega Baron
  • UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 10 January 2011, 16:32:38 »

completely flat battery will rob the starter pack, better off disconnecting battery and then conecting jump pack direct to the leads!!

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 10 January 2011, 18:08:58 »

I'm sure Kevin won't mind me pointing to his excellent battery test 'How to' here: http://www.omegaowners.com/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1225724099

Oh, .. yeah, that as well. :-[ ::)

Kevin
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • 3.2 Elite 2.0 TitX Mondeo
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 10 January 2011, 18:55:46 »

Oh, .. yeah, that as well. :-[ ::)

Kevin

:y :y :y :y :y :y
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.045 seconds with 22 queries.