Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: To upgrade or not?  (Read 3305 times)

feeutfo

Re: To upgrade or not?
« Reply #45 on: 10 August 2011, 20:21:19 »

Next car you buy should (always...?) be the car you really want IMO. Otherwise stick with what you have. ESP if it's purely a cost decision. Another omega will be more £ than yours, and will almost certainly need all that same work doing again. Double wammy.

Justifying a 400 odd bhp motor is difficult at the best of times, although from what I gather your driving style will get the best economy from it.  :-X  ;)

IMO Monaro (although vxr8 is far better) or stick with the 4 pot. But either way, your in a position to do as you please I would have thought...? Personally it woud have to be a four door, no matter what!
« Last Edit: 10 August 2011, 20:23:53 by chrisgixer »

cem_devecioglu

« Reply #46 on: 10 August 2011, 20:49:35 »

400 bhp and economy doesnt seem to be a matching pair anyway ;D

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: 10 August 2011, 21:05:19 »

Right. Thanks for comments all  :y

I've driven home tonight as the BMW needs to be taken for a service, I've decided to keep it. Set cruise control at 80mph (does not even keep pace these days!)

It was smooth, comfy.... I thought, what will i be gaining from a new one?  Ok so mine takes a few more seconds to get to 60mph than the V6's

I would get HID's (can fit those, infact got some in the garage!  ::)) Bose maybe? Dave DND could point me to some speakers far better if i wanted to.

I do still want a car, getting to Brackley via public transport is just a nightmare! In fact its bloody impossible after 7:30 pm!

So its staying, besides, what would you lot do? Got to take the pi$$ out of the 4 potters  :D

Jimbob

• Global Moderator
  • Chester / Flintshire
  • I like traffic lights, but only when they're green
    • E250 Est / Golf GTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: 10 August 2011, 21:07:22 »

Right. Thanks for comments all  :y

I've driven home tonight as the BMW needs to be taken for a service, I've decided to keep it. Set cruise control at 80mph (does not even keep pace these days!)

It was smooth, comfy.... I thought, what will i be gaining from a new one?  Ok so mine takes a few more seconds to get to 60mph than the V6's

I would get HID's (can fit those, infact got some in the garage!  ::)) Bose maybe? Dave DND could point me to some speakers far better if i wanted to.

I do still want a car, getting to Brackley via public transport is just a nightmare! In fact its bloody impossible after 7:30 pm!

So its staying, besides, what would you lot do? Got to take the pi$$ out of the 4 potters  :D

Sounds a wise decision....few hundred to keep a known goodun, thats cheap to run, on the road  :y

Broomies Mate

• Omega Baron
  • Bristol, UK
    • Stuff!
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: 10 August 2011, 21:13:26 »

I know exactly what you mean Tunnie.

I was in the EXACT same position as you.

2-3k Miles a year, my car was a little tired (very good example with nothing 'wrong' just tired), I was getting itchy feet and fancied a change.

Mine was a 3.0V6 Elite, and I loved it dearly.

I swapped it for a E39 V8 BMW and even though I honestly, truthfully miss the Omega, I cannot compare the two cars from a drivers point of view.

Yes the Omega had more toys, it was more comfortable and had a bigger boot with folding rear seats.  The BMW has a reasonable boot (2 sets of Golf Clubs) but no folding rear seats so nothing 'big' is going in there.

It's just listening to that V8 (which you need the window down to hear as the car is so well insulated) and being much more confident that the car WILL go around 'that' corner which catches us all out at times.

I dont love this car like I loved the Omega and if I had £500 to make the Omega perfect, I probably wouldn't have swapped, but for me, it came at a time where the time or money wasn't available to sort the Mig out.

I have no regrets and I dont spend any more time at the Petrol Station.  I have an extra 40BHP, an extra billion ft/lb of Torque, an extra gear in the Auto Transmission and I get called a cock a lot.

Whatever you do, do it because you want to and not because you feel you have to.  :y

2004 Saab 9-5 Aero Merlot Red Stg1 noobtune
2009 Saab 9-5 Turbo Edition Titan Grey Stg3 noobtune
2017 Vauxhall Vivaro L1H1 125PS Star Silver

Lazydocker

• Omega Queen
  • Woodbridge, Suffolk
  • Constantly Bullied by a certain Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: 10 August 2011, 21:53:48 »

As I said T, part of me wishes I hadn't changed mine.

But I wanted an estate for some future plans so it was practical... It just took a long time to find ::)
Whatever it is... I didn't do it

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: 11 August 2011, 10:07:32 »

if your doing 2k a year.....is it even worth owning a car?

depreciation, fuel, tax, insurance, servicing...

prob more cost effective to use taxis, or hire a car when needed.

boring answer I know...but may be economic sense

A mate of mine was in this position, living in London, only occasionally needing a car.

He joined some sort of club where they have all manner of cars available to borrow - from mundane to priceless. You get a certain number of points per year which you can put towards borrowing whatever you need. So, you can get a Fraud Focus if you just want to potter about or an E-Type, Carrera 3.2RS, Mustang, etc. if you want to pose.

He said the cost was about what he was paying to run the manky old Escrot Mk 3 he had before he joined.
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 18 queries.