Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Head rebuild questions  (Read 1976 times)

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • 2000 (W Reg.) 2.5 V6 CD
    • View Profile
Head rebuild questions
« on: 21 October 2013, 14:12:41 »

Hi guys, hope you're well.

Ok, got two heads left from the rebuild. i'm going to remove the valves. Will they be hard to pull out bearing in mind they're bent? And will the carnage from ''when valve met piston'' have damaged the guides in any way?

Cheers :)
RIP Paul Lovejoy

05omegav6

Re: Head rebuild questions
« Reply #1 on: 21 October 2013, 14:22:56 »

Nothing a tap on the stem with a suitable hammer drift won't move, assuming of course that they don't just fall out when the collets are removed :y

You'll be able to see/inspect the guides properly once the valves are out :y no point guessing before hand...

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 21 October 2013, 14:30:38 »

ok, magic, thanks Al :) ill post up pics when i can get them out when im in school next.

are a set of new valves (for both heads) expensive and do we suggest any aftermarket or is it genuine?

finally, skimming..... if i decided to get them skimmed is this going to cause a problem with compression ratios?

:)
RIP Paul Lovejoy

Gaffers

• Omega Queen
  • NE Hampshire/Surrey
    • Ford Ranger Wildtrak
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 21 October 2013, 14:55:17 »

skimming isn't recommended on these heads unless absolutely necessary, and if it was I would consider new heads.  Taking material off the head face affects the bolts alignment in the V thus affecting the inlets.

Valves can be expensive from the stealer but 2nd hand should be reasonable, but make sure they are true :y

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 21 October 2013, 15:12:12 »

Thanks guffer. touch wood theyre not needed so i can take my time. ill check ebay out for valves ;)
RIP Paul Lovejoy

omega3000

« Reply #5 on: 21 October 2013, 15:17:35 »

Nothing a tap on the stem with a suitable hammer drift won't move, assuming of course that they don't just fall out when the collets are removed :y

You'll be able to see/inspect the guides properly once the valves are out :y no point guessing before hand...

Arrrrrrrrgh !! Collets

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 21 October 2013, 15:24:30 »

Arrrrrrrrgh !! Collets

hahahaha i remember that day! ;)

i dont find collets bad at all. when you get in a rythm and youve got a spare 96 hours  ;D
RIP Paul Lovejoy

omega3000

« Reply #7 on: 21 October 2013, 15:30:09 »

Arrrrrrrrgh !! Collets

i dont find collets bad at all. when you get in a rythm and youve got a spare 96 hours  ;D

Taking them out is no problem long as you dont drop them  :-X Putting them back in is an art form , ask the collet master  :'(

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 21 October 2013, 15:36:14 »

Arrrrrrrrgh !! Collets

Taking them out is no problem long as you dont drop them  :-X Putting them back in is an art form , ask the collet master  :'(

not that bad..... lots of grease on the end of a thin flat head ;) i thought the hbv you did was harder
RIP Paul Lovejoy

Darth Loo-knee

• Omega Queen
  • Death Star
  • Jammie smells of Pooh....
    • TIE Fighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 21 October 2013, 16:42:24 »

The heads I have done on Omega's with bent valves haven't created problems with the guides :y I would suggest fitting new stem seals being honest (I would only fit VX ones) as the price of them far out weighs the stress of wishing you had done them at a later date :y
Everything to do with Omega's. Breaking, Servicing from Cambelts to Oil Changes... Please Pm me for details...

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 21 October 2013, 16:46:31 »

The heads I have done on Omega's with bent valves haven't created problems with the guides :y I would suggest fitting new stem seals being honest (I would only fit VX ones) as the price of them far out weighs the stress of wishing you had done them at a later date :y

Awesome. Thanks Daz, just remembering from when martin/symes did stem seals on steve's veccy..... the stem seals just sit on top of the guides, right?

RIP Paul Lovejoy

Darth Loo-knee

• Omega Queen
  • Death Star
  • Jammie smells of Pooh....
    • TIE Fighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 21 October 2013, 16:50:20 »

Yeap. Can be sometimes awkward to remove... saw a pair once that looked like someone had used a chisel or something to remove them and mishaped the guides :o take your time :y putting them back on with a socket or something similar that fits over the top nicely of the stem seal should push them down without damaging :y
Everything to do with Omega's. Breaking, Servicing from Cambelts to Oil Changes... Please Pm me for details...

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 21 October 2013, 18:19:16 »

cheers mate... just one final question... due to the tight interferemce fit am I right in thinking that should the guides need replacing this has to be done by a shop that will heat the head up to expand so the guides can be knocked out easily? .... or is there a home way of doing it?

RIP Paul Lovejoy

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 22 October 2013, 12:08:57 »

You can remove and fit guides yourself.

You can possibly also ream them to size yourself.

But re-cutting the valve seat is a different matter!

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 22 October 2013, 12:39:57 »

You can remove and fit guides yourself.

You can possibly also ream them to size yourself.

But re-cutting the valve seat is a different matter!

ok thanks mark. how much force do they take to come out?

what is reaming them to size? do i not just buy new huides and smack them in? also what depth do they go to?
RIP Paul Lovejoy
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 18 queries.