Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ... 39   Go Down

Author Topic: Climate change,You must be joking!  (Read 40582 times)

Dishevelled Den

• Omega Queen
    • View Profile
Re: Climate change,You must be joking!
« Reply #165 on: 12 January 2010, 09:51:19 »

Sorry, chaps.  I was quite happy to lay this thread to rest, but I just noticed an article in The Times which is very close to my point of view.  Unfortunately, it's by Giles Coren, who I find to be one of the most irritating men on the planet, but, for once, we're in agreement. 

Have a look at this:
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/comment/columnists/giles_coren/article6981487.ece

Feel free to skip over the bit at the end about cricket - interesting, but not germane - but have a look at the comments from readers.  Some of them have no relevance whatsoever to the original article; indeed, some of them seem to think the article says exactly the opposite of what it actually says. 

I'm beginning to think that this currently fashionable "have your say" culture has run its course and needs to be knocked on the head sooner rather than later.  It's bad enough that we are constantly bombarded with the innacurate and biassed opinions of columnists and lobbyists, but now we're also being exposed to page after page of complete b*ll*cks from ignoramuses with no understanding of grammar or spelling, let alone style.  It seems, now, that these buffoons are also lacking basic reading and comprehension skills.  And, of course, the current repository of all human knowledge is perceived to be Wikipedia

I'm very glad I'll be dead by the time today's teenagers come to power. :( :( :(

The Times which is very close to my point of view.  Unfortunately, it's by Giles Coren, who I find to be one of the most irritating men on the planet, but, for once, we're in agreement

I tend to agree J - and I did brave my natural reticence of patronising yet another of Uncle Rupert's organs of truth and right thinking to read over the link you gave.  An excessive piece which lost credibility by the intemperate language used by the author who is perhaps better directed to the cooking pots and satisfying atmosphere of the nation’s finer feeding establishments.

Mr Coren seems to be quite adept at the charming turn of phrase so in my view fits in quite well with the Newscorp.family;

Caution for strong language.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2008/jul/23/mediamonkey

Digger would indeed be proud after all, controversy cooks up into the most delightful financial pie. :y

I'm beginning to think that this currently fashionable "have your say" culture has run its course and needs to be knocked on the head sooner rather than later.

I’m almost with you on that J as I’m tired of having my senses assailed by the use of such tortured language so casually passed off as valid opinion.  I would however be obliged to consider the issue of free speech before walking in step with you.

I'm very glad I'll be dead by the time today's teenagers come to power.

I’m very happy to support you here J.  Should there be a place on a higher plane to where we fetch up I’ll be only too pleased to join you to  witness the balls-up being made by the mindless adults formed from this crop of currently uninspiring youths.
« Last Edit: 12 January 2010, 10:12:55 by Zulu77 »

STMO999

« Reply #166 on: 12 January 2010, 09:53:42 »

Sorry, chaps.  I was quite happy to lay this thread to rest, but I just noticed an article in The Times which is very close to my point of view.  Unfortunately, it's by Giles Coren, who I find to be one of the most irritating men on the planet, but, for once, we're in agreement. 

Have a look at this:
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/comment/columnists/giles_coren/article6981487.ece

Feel free to skip over the bit at the end about cricket - interesting, but not germane - but have a look at the comments from readers.  Some of them have no relevance whatsoever to the original article; indeed, some of them seem to think the article says exactly the opposite of what it actually says. 

I'm beginning to think that this currently fashionable "have your say" culture has run its course and needs to be knocked on the head sooner rather than later.  It's bad enough that we are constantly bombarded with the innacurate and biassed opinions of columnists and lobbyists, but now we're also being exposed to page after page of complete b*ll*cks from ignoramuses with no understanding of grammar or spelling, let alone style.  It seems, now, that these buffoons are also lacking basic reading and comprehension skills.  And, of course, the current repository of all human knowledge is perceived to be Wikipedia

I'm very glad I'll be dead by the time today's teenagers come to power. :( :( :(

The Times which is very close to my point of view.  Unfortunately, it's by Giles Coren, who I find to be one of the most irritating men on the planet, but, for once, we're in agreement

I tend to agree J - and I did brave my natural reticence of patronising yet another of Uncle Rupert's organs of truth and right thinking to read over the link you gave.  An excessive piece which lost credibility by the intemperate language used by the author who is perhaps better directed to the cooking pots and satisfying atmosphere of the nation’s finer feeding establishments.

Mr Coren seems to be quite adept at the charming turn of phrase so in my view fits in quite well with the Newscorp.family;

Caution for strong language.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2008/jul/23/mediamonkey

Digger would indeed be proud after all, controversy cooks up into the most delightful financial pie. :y

I'm beginning to think that this currently fashionable "have your say" culture has run its course and needs to be knocked on the head sooner rather than later.

I’m almost with you on that J as I’m tired of having my senses assailed by the use of such tortured language so casually passed off as valid opinion.  I would however be obliged to consider the issue of free speech before walking in step with you.

I'm very glad I'll be dead by the time today's teenagers come to power.

I’m very happy to support you here J.  Should there be a place on a higher plane to where we fetch up I’ll be only too pleased to join you to the witness the balls-up being made by the mindless adults formed from this crop of currently uninspiring youths.

We're doomed, Captain Mainwaring, doomed ;D

Dishevelled Den

• Omega Queen
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: 12 January 2010, 09:55:21 »

but now we're also being exposed to page after page of complete b*ll*cks from ignoramuses with no understanding of grammar or spelling, let alone style.  It seems, now, that these buffoons are also lacking basic reading and comprehension skills.  And, of course, the current repository of all human knowledge is perceived to be Wikipedia.

OOF general discussion area. ;D

;D ;D ;D splendid, ST  :y

Dishevelled Den

• Omega Queen
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: 12 January 2010, 10:02:43 »

I pleased to see that there are at least some political leaders so concerned about the planet's parlous state that they're going out of their way to do something about it 8-) :y :y

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2010/01/11/cbsnews_investigates/main6084364.shtml

jereboam

• Omega Knight
  • Suffolk
    • 1999 Omega Elite 3.0
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: 12 January 2010, 12:37:31 »

Have a look at this:

Indeed, columnists like Coren who write such things as "Global warming will in the end interfere with the ocean currents, knock out the Gulf Stream.." are certainly inaccurate.

;)

First of all, apologies for "innacurate" - can't think how that got past the Pedant Patrol.

The ocean current switches have certainly been proposed, and even featured in a disaster movie (The Day After Tomorrow, I think).  I don't actually know how much validity the theory has, but I don't think it's significantly sillier than some of the other stuff doing the rounds at the moment. 

The point that Coren was trying to make which supports my own point of view was that short-term weather anomalies have nothing whatsoever to do with long term climate change.  And it was at one time believed that it was possible that Great Britain would get colder rather than warmer in the event of global warming. 

Part of the observable public confusion arises from the fact that trying to identify the current prevailing theory/model is like trying to nail jelly to the wall.  Whatever we punters quote can always be ridiculed by a scientist saying we are out of date.  Even if you spend all your time with your nose in the learned journals, you aren't going to find out what's "current", because you aren't part of the network.   >:(
I can be handy mending a fuse - but stuff the Isle of Wight

Nickbat

« Reply #170 on: 12 January 2010, 14:32:51 »

First of all, apologies for "innacurate" - can't think how that got past the Pedant Patrol.

The ocean current switches have certainly been proposed, and even featured in a disaster movie (The Day After Tomorrow, I think).  I don't actually know how much validity the theory has, but I don't think it's significantly sillier than some of the other stuff doing the rounds at the moment. 

The point that Coren was trying to make which supports my own point of view was that short-term weather anomalies have nothing whatsoever to do with long term climate change.  And it was at one time believed that it was possible that Great Britain would get colder rather than warmer in the event of global warming. 

Part of the observable public confusion arises from the fact that trying to identify the current prevailing theory/model is like trying to nail jelly to the wall.  Whatever we punters quote can always be ridiculed by a scientist saying we are out of date.  Even if you spend all your time with your nose in the learned journals, you aren't going to find out what's "current", because you aren't part of the network.   >:(

I take your point about weather not being climate, Jereboim, (although the latter is an aggregate of the former). But what gets me about Coren is that he is clearly an AGW believer. During the latter parts of the 90s and early 00s, we were inundated by stories of "exceptional" temperatures and melting ice caps which spewed forth from believers' mouths. I find it ironic that, now the climate is cooler, they can't take people wondering what happened to all that warming. And yes, Mr Coren, there were plenty of people who said that temperatures would go higher because of CO2. For example, go to the Met Office website and you will see claims (from computer mopdels) that every region of the UK will have significantly higher average temperatures and summer maxima by 2050). Also, there was that chap (again from the Met Office, IIRC) who said, ten years ago, that winter snow would become a very rare event.

The point is that these Islington believers, in words of Corporal Jones, "Don't like it up 'em". Yes, it is amusingly ironic, even if Coren doesn't think so.

Oh, and just to tease you, Jereboim, you said "The ocean current switches have certainly been proposed, and even featured in a disaster movie (The Day After Tomorrow, I think)". King Kong featured in a disaster movie, but I'm sure not expecting to see a 200ft ape anytime soon. 

;) ;) ;D ;D

STMO999

« Reply #171 on: 12 January 2010, 20:51:39 »

Thread locked ::) ;D

Dishevelled Den

• Omega Queen
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: 12 January 2010, 20:52:34 »

Thread locked ::) ;D

Fair enough  :y :y

STMO999

« Reply #173 on: 12 January 2010, 20:53:08 »

You can go off people you know ;D ;D

albitz

« Reply #174 on: 12 January 2010, 20:54:15 »

No it isnt. :P ;D

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
  • My Old 3.2 V6 Elite (LPG)
    • Audi A6 Allroad 3.0 DTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: 12 January 2010, 20:54:26 »

Good attempt .. always doomed to failure ..  :)

Dishevelled Den

• Omega Queen
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: 12 January 2010, 20:56:29 »

Good attempt .. always doomed to failure ..  :)

Am inclined to agree with you E :y

albitz

« Reply #177 on: 12 January 2010, 20:59:14 »

ADMINS - LOCTITE PLEASE - FFS !!!!  :D :D ;D ;D ::) ::)

Dishevelled Den

• Omega Queen
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: 12 January 2010, 21:00:32 »

ADMINS - LOCTITE PLEASE - FFS !!!!  :D :D ;D ;D ::) ::)

Well said A.  8-) :y :y

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
  • My Old 3.2 V6 Elite (LPG)
    • Audi A6 Allroad 3.0 DTI
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: 12 January 2010, 21:05:18 by entwood »
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ... 39   Go Up

Page created in 0.051 seconds with 21 queries.