Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Indicators Stay on...solid...help  (Read 6606 times)

tom041098

Indicators Stay on...solid...help
« on: 13 November 2011, 11:30:48 »

Hi Everyone,

My nearside indicators (front, mid and rear) are staying permanently on, as a solid light, not flashing....even with the ignition off. Offside works fine, but nearside won't go out! Even dash light stays on all the time. last night disconnected the battery, back on this morning, straight away, it lights up....it won't go off!!

Any suggestions? Warmly welcomed!

Thanks

Tom

tom041098

Re: Indicators Stay on...solid...help
« Reply #1 on: 13 November 2011, 11:31:49 »

Sorry, 2003 Omega Estate 2.2 Petrol.....

Weds

• Chatham, Kent
  • My other hobby
    • Mercedes E class 350 CDi
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 13 November 2011, 11:56:46 »

I think you'll find its the relay thats flashes the indicators when you lock the car, The flexible strip inside the relay fails and shorts out the contacts. The relay hidden up behind the glove box, you can pull the relay out, it just wont flash the indicators when locking but the turning indicators will still work.

I'm sure its been on here before, i had the same problem on a previous omega..

Weds

• Chatham, Kent
  • My other hobby
    • View Profile

tom041098

« Reply #4 on: 13 November 2011, 12:30:14 »

OK. Thanks...sounds like a little project. Will report back.....

Tom

tom041098

« Reply #5 on: 14 November 2011, 17:29:18 »

Now confused...could'nt find the hazard relay. Phoned Vauxhall dealer...they said there was no Hazard relay!! It goes through the indicators relay. Weird.

Any other thoughts....problem summary: Passenger side indictors stay on solid, even with ignition off. Left turn indicator light constantly on solid on dash. Disconnecting/reconnecting battery does not cure it. Right hand turn indicator works fine. Hazard lights on does nothing. Tried unlock/lock 20/30 times now and does not clear it either.

Vauxhall say its the Alarm control Unit which is circa £350....MOT coming up in few weeks, so need to fix!!

I love my Omega...but it drives me insane!

Thanks

Tom

fiend61

• Omega Knight
  • york
  • each to their own
    • 2.5cdx 3.0mv6 3.2vec c
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 14 November 2011, 17:37:01 »

have you taken the glovebox out ???
relays are up there  :y

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 14 November 2011, 17:38:19 »

Dealer is talking utter "dangle-berries". There is a relay that flashes the indicators driven by the alarm. It's location (on a facelift) is up behind the glove compartment to the left had side.

It has 6 wires attached. 3 Red, 2 Black and white and 1 Black and green.
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

tom041098

« Reply #8 on: 14 November 2011, 17:45:33 »

Couldn't get glove box out, but managed to get a small camera right up behind it nearly to top of dash. Could not see anything that fit the description above and on the post Weds mentioned. I have to take it to Vauxhall tomorrow to fix a blown rocker cover (is it still called that these days) gasket. I'll show the boys from Masterfit this thread and see what they say!

cheers

Tom

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 14 November 2011, 17:52:36 »

There's a little group of 2 or 3 relays mounted right up behind the passenger air vent IIRC.
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

albitz

« Reply #10 on: 14 November 2011, 17:54:30 »

Dont need to lock/unlock 20-30 times.Need to switch hazards on/off 20-30 times.If that doesnt do the trick.The relays are definetely there up behind the glovebox - a bit awkward to see/ get at, but they are there.
In the unlikely event you need a new alarm ECU (control unit) there are plenty of used ones available, usually for no more than £20. :y

tom041098

« Reply #11 on: 14 November 2011, 17:59:12 »

Thanks everyone...does anyone know if there is a video showing removal of glovebox for 2003 facelift model? (Watching someone else do is much better than trying to figure it out yourself ;))
I'll come back if I need an ECU, hopefully someone here knows someone who knows someone etc etc.

Cheers once again...

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 14 November 2011, 17:59:45 »

Dont need to lock/unlock 20-30 times.Need to switch hazards on/off 20-30 times.If that doesnt do the trick.The relays are definetely there up behind the glovebox - a bit awkward to see/ get at, but they are there.
In the unlikely event you need a new alarm ECU (control unit) there are plenty of used ones available, usually for no more than £20. :y

If the alarm ECU were at fault it would be both indicators. It doesn't control them individually. ;)

RobG

• Omega Queen
  • Bristol
  • I might have a link, pic or part number for that
    • 16 plate Mokka. Vivaro
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 14 November 2011, 18:06:59 »

There's a little group of 2 or 3 relays mounted right up behind the passenger air vent IIRC.
Red is servotronic, IIRC the small grey one is the alarm indicator relay
http://www.omegaowners.com/forum/index.php?topic=90682.0
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

UPVC windows/doors/fascias/soffit/gutters supplied/fitted

freecall666

• Omega Knight
  • looking over your shoulder
  • fun for all, get with the program
    • 2.0l sweat tank on wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 14 November 2011, 18:14:26 »

Red is servotronic, IIRC the small grey one is the alarm indicator relay
http://www.omegaowners.com/forum/index.php?topic=90682.0
just looked at linc so gray one is indicators alarm, got me thinking what if the relay works but the lights dont flash? as mine do or dont, is there a fuse out some were from the relay? i borrowed one from working alarm and still dont work. any idears?
Solar charger fitted.
If not Broke dont fix it..

albitz

« Reply #15 on: 14 November 2011, 18:15:05 »

If the alarm ECU were at fault it would be both indicators. It doesn't control them individually. ;)

That rules out the alarm ECU completely then. :y I would concentrate on the hazard switch first,and then the relay. :y

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 14 November 2011, 18:15:46 »

IME on the later cars the Servotronic relay is with the consumer switch-off delay and accessory socket relay on the driver's side, but it may vary. In addition, OP has a 2.2 which doesn't have Servotronic.

I'm pretty sure this relay will be next to one or two empty sockets, as it shares the location with the trailer bulb failure sensor (normally absent) and the filter heating relay (tractor only).

freecall666

• Omega Knight
  • looking over your shoulder
  • fun for all, get with the program
    • 2.0l sweat tank on wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 14 November 2011, 18:24:02 »

That rules out the alarm ECU completely then. :y I would concentrate on the hazard switch first,and then the relay. :y
Solar charger fitted.
If not Broke dont fix it..

tom041098

« Reply #18 on: 14 November 2011, 18:43:56 »

OK, for the love of my car, I've just dangled upside and managed to fine something that looks like the cluster described in Freecall666's post http://www.omegaowners.com/forum/index.php?topic=90682.0

Only thing is there is only one relay, its small and grey like described but has numbers 190303 stamped on it. I would post an image of it...but looks like my add image icon is not working.

Would this be the one to yank out?

Tom

tom041098

« Reply #19 on: 14 November 2011, 18:46:30 »

Also, pulled the actual Hazard switch off the dash......changes nothing!

Weds

• Chatham, Kent
  • My other hobby
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 14 November 2011, 22:04:06 »

If you can get your hand up behind the glove box just operate the central locking whilst feeling for the relay, you should hear and feel it working..

fiend61

• Omega Knight
  • york
  • each to their own
    • 2.5cdx 3.0mv6 3.2vec c
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 14 November 2011, 22:59:20 »

this will help you to remove glovebox and stop the blood rushing to your head as you are doing acrobatics in passenger footwell  ;D ;D ;D ;D
http://www.omegaowners.com/forum/index.php?topic=90660.0

albitz

« Reply #22 on: 14 November 2011, 23:06:14 »

OK, for the love of my car, I've just dangled upside and managed to fine something that looks like the cluster described in Freecall666's post http://www.omegaowners.com/forum/index.php?topic=90682.0

Only thing is there is only one relay, its small and grey like described but has numbers 190303 stamped on it. I would post an image of it...but looks like my add image icon is not working.

Would this be the one to yank out?

Tom

Yep,pretty sure that will be the one. :y Hve you tried operating the hazards on/off 20-30 times as MarkDTM suggested ?

tom041098

« Reply #23 on: 15 November 2011, 09:33:48 »

Yanked the relay out....cured problem of lights staying on...however looks like this relay managed the indicators as well!! Not left or right turn....apart from the obvious....and last suggestions? Yes pressed hazard switch at least 40 times!

Desperate...!

albitz

« Reply #24 on: 15 November 2011, 10:26:55 »

New relay is next I suppose. :-\

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 15 November 2011, 11:03:40 »

If the wiring diagram is correct and that relay is the one I think it is, I can't see why it would prevent the indicators working as usual. :-\

tom041098

« Reply #26 on: 15 November 2011, 13:02:07 »

Mmmmmh. Vx don't have the part in stock so have to wait. The tech guy actually said he wasn't aware of any relays up behind the glove box!! That said, he was adamant that just because pulling the relay 'fixed' the lights being on, it may be just because pulling broke the circuit, and it could still be the alarm ECU. Then I asked him about the lights being on both sides if it was the ECU....his response was that the ECU control each side independently, and that one side could be faulty?

New relay is £26 inc VAT, so going to wait for that to come in and try I guess....secondly, can anyone tell me how much a second hand Alarm Control Unit is for 2003 2.2 Omega Estate?

Thanks for all your advice so far...its great going to VX armed with some knowledge...albeit...3rd hand!

Tom

RobG

• Omega Queen
  • Bristol
    • 16 plate Mokka. Vivaro
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 15 November 2011, 13:09:25 »

Mmmmmh. Vx don't have the part in stock so have to wait. The tech guy actually said he wasn't aware of any relays up behind the glove box!! That said, he was adamant that just because pulling the relay 'fixed' the lights being on, it may be just because pulling broke the circuit, and it could still be the alarm ECU. Then I asked him about the lights being on both sides if it was the ECU....his response was that the ECU control each side independently, and that one side could be faulty?

New relay is £26 inc VAT, so going to wait for that to come in and try I guess....secondly, can anyone tell me how much a second hand Alarm Control Unit is for 2003 2.2 Omega Estate?

Thanks for all your advice so far...its great going to VX armed with some knowledge...albeit...3rd hand!

Tom
How much!!!!!!!!! Got a few of them in the shed

RobG

• Omega Queen
  • Bristol
    • 16 plate Mokka. Vivaro
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 15 November 2011, 13:11:19 »

Tom
No it doesn`t. Alarm ECU very rarely fails

Andy H

• Omega Lord
  • Auckland
    • Mazda MPV
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 15 November 2011, 19:40:38 »

If the wiring diagram is correct and that relay is the one I think it is, I can't see why it would prevent the indicators working as usual. :-\
Pulling the hazard switch out would stop them working ...............
"Deja Moo - The feeling that you've heard this bull somewhere before."

Weds

• Chatham, Kent
  • My other hobby
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 16 November 2011, 00:19:42 »

Yanked the relay out....cured problem of lights staying on...however looks like this relay managed the indicators as well!! Not left or right turn....apart from the obvious....and last suggestions? Yes pressed hazard switch at least 40 times!

Desperate...!

If it does that then they've changed it since i had a problem with mine, you can always remove the cover off the relay and you'll probably find the spring metal that that hold the contacts in place has fractured, you might be able to do a temporary repair.

woodoo

• Heanor
  • www.woodoo.yolasite.com
    • Vauxhall Omega 2.0l Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 17 November 2011, 23:51:17 »

If you find out that it is Alarm Control Unit, then find Black/White and Black/Green wires near it and try to cut them, as these wires are signals from Alarm Control Unit to turn signals and they are useful only then you lock or unlock car.

tom041098

« Reply #32 on: 20 November 2011, 19:49:28 »

Success!! It was the relay behind the glove box....the one Masterfit knew nothing about!!!

Thanks everyone for your comments. really appreciated!

:D

Weds

• Chatham, Kent
  • My other hobby
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 20 November 2011, 20:23:15 »

Success!! It was the relay behind the glove box....the one Masterfit knew nothing about!!!

Thanks everyone for your comments. really appreciated!

:D

Well done.. You know who to ask in future and its definitely not Masterfit...

bonkers

• Exeter
    • Omega Elite 3.0
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 09 February 2012, 13:05:17 »

Hi there. I have the same problem started yesterday! Tried locking and unlocking, disconnecting battery....still same thing. Help anyone!!!

fiend61

• Omega Knight
  • york
  • each to their own
    • 2.5cdx 3.0mv6 3.2vec c
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 09 February 2012, 13:23:23 »

read this post then  :D :D

then you will find the cure  :o
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Up

Page created in 0.024 seconds with 21 queries.