Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: rough rnning  (Read 3272 times)

flyer 0712

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile
rough rnning
« on: 11 June 2015, 18:31:12 »

My 2.2 omega just lately has been playing up on startup...it takes more turns of the engine to fire up than normal and then runs as if the choke was on..it runs just a bit lumpy on tick over 500/600 rpm but increase this just a little to around 800rpm and she runs just fine,all through the auto box is as should be and picks up speed as it should....not using any coolant so i assume the head gasket is fine...when slowing back down from normal running to tick over it then begins to run a bit rough...not quite as bad as missing on one cylinder but just feels as if it will cut out at any time....any ideas please.. :y

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
Re: rough rnning
« Reply #1 on: 11 June 2015, 19:13:39 »

Take the throttle body off and inspect/clean it, make sure breathers are all clean too.

While there pop plugs out and see what's what.

Try and get a code reader on it  :y

flyer 0712

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 11 June 2015, 22:08:07 »

Cheers Tunnie.....taken plugs out.(bosch 3 months old ) and they all look the same colour and condition...changed the coil pack.just in case.....I have a throttle body from the low mileage omega that i have just scrapped,so dug that out and made sure that it is clean and all tubes are clear ,,also have the throttle body new gasket and the gasket for the breather that goes from cam cover to sump.So tomorrow hopefully change the body over and clear out all of the breathers and then see if it is any better,,, :y

SIR Philbutt

• Omega Knight
  • Rochdale - Manchester
  • It will soon be Christmas ...
    • 03 2.2 CDX LPG estate
    • View Profile
    • PJB Home Services
« Reply #3 on: 11 June 2015, 22:22:20 »

While your at it check for vac leaks  - i had same and turned out to be EGR gasket  :-\.

Found it (eventually) by "sparingly" spraying brake cleaner around the inlet/servo/EGR area, tickover briefly went back to normal when the gas found the leak.

HTH Phil

edit: it could also be the EGR permanently open - normally opens when you increase revs. A good test is to temporary blank it with a plate (i cut down a coke can) the same shape as the gasket with no hole in the middle
« Last Edit: 11 June 2015, 22:26:44 by SIR Philbutt »
keep happy, keep safe, keep smiling, keep in touch

flyer 0712

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 11 June 2015, 23:18:55 »

Cheers phil....i have noted that and will give it a try.....some people blank off the e.g.r. valve completely and just have the light turned off when it comes on.....so is there any harm in doing this or is it better to use the e. g .r .....as intended by vauxhall.. :-\ :-\

RossPhim

• Morayshire, Scotland
  • The blue oval now-a-days!?!
    • 2.2 TDCi TXS
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 12 June 2015, 08:53:38 »

This may be of not help at all, but on my current brand of motor, if the egr sticks in the 'open' position it can give difficulty in starting but once warmed up it shouldn't have much effect. If stuck in 'closed' position shouldn't really affect starting.

As Sir P states above, try the coke can trick to see if it helps.
Should confirm if its an EGR fault at least.

SIR Philbutt

• Omega Knight
  • Rochdale - Manchester
    • 03 2.2 CDX LPG estate
    • View Profile
    • PJB Home Services
« Reply #6 on: 12 June 2015, 09:19:59 »

Cheers phil....i have noted that and will give it a try.....some people blank off the e.g.r. valve completely and just have the light turned off when it comes on.....so is there any harm in doing this or is it better to use the e. g .r .....as intended by vauxhall.. :-\ :-\

Your not removing the EGR just blanking it (put the EGR & gasket back on) so it will not feed exhaust into the inlet at any time.

On the 2.2 it probably will not make any noticeable difference if you leave it there, if the EGR is faulty, saves you having to replace it until you are ready  :y

Look here to see my exploits http://www.omegaowners.com/forum/index.php?topic=126804.msg1617741#msg1617741

flyer 0712

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 12 June 2015, 20:03:21 »

Thanks Phil..just read that and very helpfull. :y

flyer 0712

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 12 June 2015, 20:14:27 »

Removed the throttle body tonight and was amazed how much carbon was on the underside of the throttle flap and around the inside of the unit...it was so badly clogged that the very small hard plastic tube that connects at the bottom was full and the casting itself was clogged so could not blow air through it.....so now have a nice clean throttle body and hoses and will do the sump tube tomorrow,,,,just seen on here that when replacing the throttle body with another one you should turn ignition on for at least 30 seconds before starting up as the ecu needs to connect to the unit,,,,so hopefully when I try it tomorrow it should at least be a bit better,,,thanks to all  :y

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 12 June 2015, 20:33:40 »

Throttle body easily clogged. Even with oil changes every 5k.

Worth cleaning once a year  :y

flyer 0712

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 12 June 2015, 22:10:44 »

I change oil/fiter twice a year ( only do around 5000 miles a year )and use the dearer petrol....to be fair I have only just bought the car so maybe if i show it a bit of care it will turn out to be nice to me,, ;D ;D ;D

flyer 0712

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile
Re: rough running
« Reply #11 on: 13 June 2015, 13:07:25 »

Started car up today,,,,no different after cleaning breathers and changing throttle body.......now the emissions light has come on and it is missing on tickover and up to about 2000 revs standing still but drives ok until stopping and then tick over very erratic....so what else could it be,??????...would it be the cam sensor ???...the fuel filter looks to be very old,,but if it was petrol surely it would not drive properly at speed.....although recent spark plugs fitted  ( Bosch ) and they still all look the same colour could it be the plugs...is it worth changing them once again,,,already changed the coil pack,,,so any ideas please ,thanks.

flyer 0712

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 13 June 2015, 13:16:19 »

I say its the emissions light that has lit up....,,,its the one that looks like an engine block ....

SIR Philbutt

• Omega Knight
  • Rochdale - Manchester
    • 03 2.2 CDX LPG estate
    • View Profile
    • PJB Home Services
Re: rough running
« Reply #13 on: 13 June 2015, 17:52:36 »

Started car up today,,,,no different after cleaning breathers and changing throttle body.......now the emissions light has come on and it is missing on tickover and up to about 2000 revs standing still but drives ok until stopping and then tick over very erratic....so what else could it be,??????...would it be the cam sensor ???...the fuel filter looks to be very old,,but if it was petrol surely it would not drive properly at speed.....although recent spark plugs fitted  ( Bosch ) and they still all look the same colour could it be the plugs...is it worth changing them once again,,,already changed the coil pack,,,so any ideas please ,thanks.

What have you done with the EGR?

flyer 0712

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 13 June 2015, 19:04:13 »

Nothing yet as rain stopped play....so providing it does not rain tomorrow it is next on my list as you advised me...so will post results after blanking it off..thanks  :y
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.052 seconds with 21 queries.