Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Jimbobs Coolant Leak  (Read 7772 times)

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
Re: Jimbobs Coolant Leak
« Reply #60 on: 06 August 2007, 19:26:30 »

Rain stops play...........for the moment any way!

Its all stripped out and whilst its raining I will clean all the cooler plate etc ready for application of gunge and re-fit.

Heres a quick pic:

« Last Edit: 06 August 2007, 19:28:01 by Mark »

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: 06 August 2007, 19:46:26 »

I have to say that the person who did the owrk for you on this last time, was an arse!

Hes only gone and used cam cover sealent on the oil cooler plate!

Jimbob

• Global Moderator
  • Chester / Flintshire
  • I like traffic lights, but only when they're green
    • E250 Est / Golf GTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: 06 August 2007, 20:03:10 »

Am I glad you've gone for the full stripdown!
at least now I KNOW it will be right  :y

Thanks again

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: 06 August 2007, 21:50:02 »

Rain stops play...........for the moment any way!

Its all stripped out and whilst its raining I will clean all the cooler plate etc ready for application of gunge and re-fit.

Heres a quick pic:

That looks suspiciously like a bent oil pipe ::)
Grumpy old man

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: 06 August 2007, 22:04:11 »

Right

Main coolant pipe on
Oil cooler in (with the correct sealent!)
Stat in
Bridge pipe in
Oil cooler pipes re-connected at BOTH ends
Coolant bridge in
Heater bypass valve and associated pipe work in.
Crank sensor re-fitted
New oil filter fitted (it has to be removed to disconnect the oil cooler pipes)

Ow yes, when the cooler was changed.....the pipes were bent to do the job  :-/

To do:

Fit the B-bolt
Fit new top hose
Fit inlet system
Fit plenum

A few odds and sods and we are ready to go!

Taxi_Driver

« Reply #65 on: 06 August 2007, 22:09:17 »

I'm surprised as I find it pretty good....

I have to say that Jimbobs pollen filter was well clogged up, I actualy put the one in that I had taken out of my facelift Cdx as it was MUCH cleaner.

We were measuring about 9-10 deg C air from the vents yesterday and it was 30 deg outside.....nice and chilly!

I have managed to get 4C coming from the air vents (probe stuck down inside the centre air vent).....ok not as hot as 30C outside.....that was on manual...slow fan speed and set on LO....actually what i think i mean is the climate is rubbish on auto.....not the actual aircon.....i have a probe stuck in the centre vents all the time measuring air temp......what i have found ie today....outside temp was about 20/21/22 internal temp set on 20C....climate could control the temp inside....when cloudy....any sign of sun....it just put the fans on max....temp from the centre vents went up (as faster air temp will go up) ....and it just seems to loose control of keeping the temp down....so you just get a noisy enviroment and not that chilly!.....reason i thought maybe i dont have latest version of climate...as you say this better at keeping fan speed down  :-/

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: 06 August 2007, 22:10:29 »

Ow yes, the oil cooler pipe is not as bent as it looks in the picture, its just disconnected at the other end.

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: 06 August 2007, 22:18:21 »

I have managed to get 4C coming from the air vents (probe stuck down inside the centre air vent).....ok not as hot as 30C outside.....that was on manual...slow fan speed and set on LO....actually what i think i mean is the climate is rubbish on auto.....not the actual aircon.....i have a probe stuck in the centre vents all the time measuring air temp......what i have found ie today....outside temp was about 20/21/22 internal temp set on 20C....climate could control the temp inside....when cloudy....any sign of sun....it just put the fans on max....temp from the centre vents went up (as faster air temp will go up) ....and it just seems to loose control of keeping the temp down....so you just get a noisy enviroment and not that chilly!.....reason i thought maybe i dont have latest version of climate...as you say this better at keeping fan speed down  :-/

Hmm. Must get mine sorted, especially if going to Italy for hols!

Mine manages about 10-11 deg c out of the vents, at half fan speed or thereabouts and that was earlier in the year when it was cooler outside.  :(

I agree regarding the climate. It just isn't comfortable to shift that much air through the car except for the first minute or two after it has been standing in the sun. I constantly turn down the fan speed on mine, and every time I adjust the temperature it whacks it up again  >:(

I'd be much happier with manual control of the damned thing, to be honest. Climate solves a problem that never existed in the first place IMHO.

Kevin
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Taxi_Driver

« Reply #68 on: 06 August 2007, 22:26:04 »

Hmm. Must get mine sorted, especially if going to Italy for hols!

Mine manages about 10-11 deg c out of the vents, at half fan speed or thereabouts and that was earlier in the year when it was cooler outside.  :(

I agree regarding the climate. It just isn't comfortable to shift that much air through the car except for the first minute or two after it has been standing in the sun. I constantly turn down the fan speed on mine, and every time I adjust the temperature it whacks it up again  >:(

I'd be much happier with manual control of the damned thing, to be honest. Climate solves a problem that never existed in the first place IMHO.

Kevin

Set it on manual....and set to lo.....its the only way to control fan speed ive found and it stays where you set it....try that  :y

Taxi_Driver

« Reply #69 on: 06 August 2007, 22:28:56 »

Or try to find out if you have the latest climate version.....MDTM reckons its a lot better  :y
« Last Edit: 06 August 2007, 22:29:42 by Taxi_Driver »

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: 06 August 2007, 22:31:10 »

Set it on manual....and set to lo.....its the only way to control fan speed ive found and it stays where you set it....try that

Will do. If it's controlling temperature you appear to have manual control of it but then it decides it knows best every so often >:(

I've got an intermittently squeaky bearing in the fan motor too, which doesn't help.

Kevin
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Jimbob

• Global Moderator
  • Chester / Flintshire
    • E250 Est / Golf GTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: 06 August 2007, 22:35:23 »

Sounds like you're getting there :)
was assured the oil cooler pipes weren't bent, told him your trick.
Needless to say it won't be going back there, time my hands got a lot dirtier....this was just too much for an absolute novice  :-[

Babysitters on standby, when is your current estimate? (no pressure, just various people to keep updated)

Cheers

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: 07 August 2007, 08:05:30 »

I hope to have it all finished and running tonight.

So tomorrow, Thursday or Friday.....

Jimbob

• Global Moderator
  • Chester / Flintshire
    • E250 Est / Golf GTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: 07 August 2007, 08:15:30 »

Cheers  :D

I'll keep the standby updated

Thanks again for doing all this, be great to have a properly working car again  8-)

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: 07 August 2007, 09:58:33 »

The coolant pipe is out for delivery so will be there when I get home this pm.....
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Up

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 22 queries.