Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Did anyone watch.......  (Read 4743 times)

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
Did anyone watch.......
« on: 10 February 2016, 12:42:59 »

The Great British Benefits Handout.........yesterday on  Channel 5 at 9PM.

Three long-term unemployed families living on benefits are given a cash lump sum of £26000 in return for signing off, to see if they have what it takes to improve their lives and escape the benefits trap.

An interesting experiment.........or complete waste of time and taxpayers money?

Mr Gav

• Omega Knight
  • Leeds
    • Nissan 370z GT Edition
    • View Profile
Re: Did anyone watch.......
« Reply #1 on: 10 February 2016, 12:57:36 »

Bullets are cheaper  :-X

STEMO

« Reply #2 on: 10 February 2016, 13:04:12 »

Recorded it as wifey wanted to watch (un)happy valley.

I never realised there were so many nutters in Halifax.

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 10 February 2016, 13:36:19 »

Recorded it as wifey wanted to watch (un)happy valley.

I never realised there were so many nutters in Halifax.

I feel sure there are plenty of people on benefits who would rise to the challenge and 'make a go of it'

Unfortunately though, I get the feeling that  Channel 5 have picked some of the less able in society because it makes for better television. :-\ :-\ :-X

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • Omega 2.6 V6 Auto '51 Reg
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 10 February 2016, 13:38:14 »

Was that £26,000 each, or split three ways?
Either way, it's just throwing good money after bad - what jobs will they be fit for and how much tax will they be able to pay to get us our money back?

Ron.

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 10 February 2016, 13:40:35 »

Was that £26,000 each, or split three ways?
Either way, it's just throwing good money after bad - what jobs will they be fit for and how much tax will they be able to pay to get us our money back?

Ron.

£26000 for each of the three families, Ron. :y

aaronjb

« Reply #6 on: 10 February 2016, 13:59:20 »

Did they blow it all on coke & crack and then succumb to an overdose?

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • Omega 2.6 V6 Auto '51 Reg
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 10 February 2016, 14:13:58 »

FH!
When will governments and councils realise that it isn't THEIR money that they are giving away/wasting, but OURS? Just like the fact that the roads don't belong to them, but us; they simply manage them (badly) on our behalf.....

Ron.

STEMO

« Reply #8 on: 10 February 2016, 14:26:07 »

£26000 equals the benefits cap, so it was a years money in advance. When it's gone, they will simply claim again.

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
  • What is going to break next?
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 10 February 2016, 14:28:31 »

I try not to watch programmes like that or Police camera inaction. Just makes your blood boil. Probably the reason they made it.

I have got to say that Britain is getting to be a terrible place what with all the murders in Shetland, Midsomer, Halifax and wherever Silent Witness is filmed. ;D
The biggest joke on mankind is that computers have started asking humans to prove that they aren’t a robot.

STEMO

« Reply #10 on: 10 February 2016, 14:37:17 »

I'm watching it now. I'm sat on my fat arse with ginsters pasty and a large bottle of full fat Coke, waiting to see what the fat, lazy bastards get up to. ;D

STEMO

« Reply #11 on: 10 February 2016, 14:39:22 »

I'm watching it now. I'm sat on my fat arse with ginsters pasty and a large bottle of full fat Coke, waiting to see what the fat, lazy bastards get up to. ;D
Cancel the pasty....just had a glimpse of someone's shit-encrusted bog. Apparently it's damp in there so that must stop them from cleaning it.

aaronjb

« Reply #12 on: 10 February 2016, 14:43:02 »

Cancel the pasty....just had a glimpse of someone's shit-encrusted bog. Apparently it's damp in there so that must stop them from cleaning it.

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

STEMO

« Reply #13 on: 10 February 2016, 14:43:47 »

Can someone tell me........does every family that receives benefits live in a filthy hole, groom themselves with chip fat and have a distinct lack of teeth. Or is it just the ones channel 5 choose to show?

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 10 February 2016, 14:44:03 »

I do think  some of the 'guinea pigs' were missing the point of the exercise.

One  spent £300 treating the whole family to a meal. Another bought his son a£400 playstation.

How much is £26000 free of tax and national insurance really worth?

STEMO

« Reply #15 on: 10 February 2016, 14:46:35 »

One  spent £300 treating the whole family to a meal. Another bought his son a£400 playstation.

I think they were missing more than that.

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 10 February 2016, 14:47:51 »

Can someone tell me........does every family that receives benefits live in a filthy hole, groom themselves with chip fat and have a distinct lack of teeth. Or is it just the ones channel 5 choose to show?

This is the answer. :y

If Channel 5 were to show the majority of people on benefits behaving well, then people would have nothing to throw at the television.

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 10 February 2016, 14:49:54 »

£26000 equals the benefits cap, so it was a years money in advance. When it's gone, they will simply claim again.

What happens if all the money is gone in 3 months? :)

STEMO

« Reply #18 on: 10 February 2016, 14:54:31 »

Back to the dole, I suppose. What else?

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 10 February 2016, 14:56:20 »

That'll upset a few on here. ;D ;D

STEMO

« Reply #20 on: 10 February 2016, 14:59:22 »

That'll upset a few on here. ;D ;D
Well...they could always swap lives if it's that cushty on benefits.

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 10 February 2016, 15:07:48 »

Put the other way ...... if you'd received £26000 net in benefits,  what would you have had to earn gross? Probably getting on for £40k. Not a bad wage .....

STEMO

« Reply #22 on: 10 February 2016, 15:21:53 »

26000-10600 personal tax allowance=15400 on which you would pay 20% income tax. So £3080.

National insurance starts at 12% after £155 per week. So, 155x52= 8060. 26000-8060=17940x12%=2150 approx.

So...26000+3080+2150=£31,230 is the annual salary needed to pick up £26000.

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 10 February 2016, 15:54:36 »

26000-10600 personal tax allowance=15400 on which you would pay 20% income tax. So £3080.

National insurance starts at 12% after £155 per week. So, 155x52= 8060. 26000-8060=17940x12%=2150 approx.

You may be correct.......but nobody likes a smartarse. :D ;D ;D

STEMO

« Reply #24 on: 10 February 2016, 16:26:23 »

You may be correct.......but nobody likes a smartarse. :D ;D ;D
You're right. So, just to prove I'm not one, I think I might have ballsed that up.  ;D

It's probably more like £33,000, but I can't be arsed working backwards from there. :)

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • Too many, mostly broken
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 10 February 2016, 16:46:10 »

£33,700 assuming you're not: registered blind, exempt from NI, excessively old or paying into a pension

http://www.listentotaxman.com/33700?

Buuuttttt.... AFAIK that doesn't include certain ancilliary benefits which you receive if not working - such as free glasses, dental treatment etc etc. I think that's only "direct" cash benefit. So if you had a family - which you would if you were getting the full £26k I suspect you'd have to be earning upwards of £40k before it paid you more - ridiculous.

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 10 February 2016, 17:22:58 »

Ridiculous indeed. I have always believed that benefits should provide a basic home, food, a reasonable amount of electricity / heating, and basic clothing, by way of vouchers.
Anything more than that should come from gainful employment.
I don't say this from the viewpoint of a comfortable, affluent lifestyle. I have been on benefits for a time myself in the last 10 years.
No wonder the pervading narrative is "we need the immigrants to do the jobs British people wont do".
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

EMD

• Omega Baron
  • Noofhampton
    • 95t
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 10 February 2016, 17:58:24 »

Omegatitis

plym ian

• Omega Baron
  • Plymouth, Devon
    • 2.0 insignia elite tourer
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 10 February 2016, 19:12:33 »

£33,700 assuming you're not: registered blind, exempt from NI, excessively old or paying into a pension

http://www.listentotaxman.com/33700?

Buuuttttt.... AFAIK that doesn't include certain ancilliary benefits which you receive if not working - such as free glasses, dental treatment etc etc. I think that's only "direct" cash benefit. So if you had a family - which you would if you were getting the full £26k I suspect you'd have to be earning upwards of £40k before it paid you more - ridiculous.
Did you not read the earlier posts ;D ;D ;D

No need for dental treatment ;D

RobG

• Omega Queen
  • Bristol
  • I might have a link, pic or part number for that
    • 16 plate Mokka. Vivaro
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 10 February 2016, 19:23:48 »

One couple who had plans to start a secondhand goods business admitted that they received £6000 pa in benefits. Assume the rent was £100pw (paid direct) which equals £5200 - £400 for the "4 free rent weeks" = £4800, council tax was say £30pw which equals £1500pa.
So their gross annual take would be £6000 + £4800 + £1500. When I went to school that didn`t equate to £26000 >:(
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

UPVC windows/doors/fascias/soffit/gutters supplied/fitted

STEMO

« Reply #30 on: 10 February 2016, 19:37:04 »

One couple who had plans to start a secondhand goods business admitted that they received £6000 pa in benefits. Assume the rent was £100pw (paid direct) which equals £5200 - £400 for the "4 free rent weeks" = £4800, council tax was say £30pw which equals £1500pa.
So their gross annual take would be £6000 + £4800 + £1500. When I went to school that didn`t equate to £26000 >:(
Lots of angry faces when we talk about benefits  ;D

If it's so lucrative, perhaps we should all try it. Personally, I couldn't survive on £500 a week.

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 10 February 2016, 19:44:24 »

Personally, Its a long time since I took home £500 per week. Having said that , I will probably manage it this month, due to overtime.
I really should have listened more turned up at school.  ;D
« Last Edit: 10 February 2016, 19:46:07 by Migv6 »
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

minifreek

• Omega Knight
  • Wigan
    • 2.4 V70 & 94 Mini SPi
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 10 February 2016, 20:39:29 »

Im on benefits and have been for the past 7 years due to me basically 'retiring' and looking after my wife and managing her illness...

I dont claim 'dole' I do claim Income Support...

I was working full time (and was since leaving school) I had to make the vary hard yet easy decision to look after my wife for however long it takes...

I see people around where I live that do claim dole and have been on benefits for basically all their lives and make a living at it... and TBH it pisses me off... they know how to play the system so they dont have their benefits taken from them.. there is one lad who reckons that the benefots he is on he is entitled to... he hasnt worked a day in his oppsing life and he didnt like me telling him to gte off his arse, stop smoking the green stuff and get a job.... I ducked - he missed but I didnt..... we dont speak anymore....

Free dentists (NHS) are few and far between, glasses aren't free either, unless you are a diabetic nothing is free...

If the people on the programme have been given £26000 to live on for a year, their benefits will be stopped - indefinately as thats the rules if they sign off and live independently of the state they will not be allowed to sign back on for at least 4 years, even after the money goes dry for them... all their benefits will stop including housing benefit and council tax benefit so they will have to pay these for the next 4 years by any means that they can....
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F...

omegod

• Omega Baron
  • liverpool
    • 2017 Seat Ateca
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 10 February 2016, 21:01:25 »

Apparently the family from Liverpool who bought a racoon and reptiles etc to start an animal petting party venture are doing quite well, lots of good reviews from customers so we'll see how they fare longer term. Whilst not ever having claimed benefits myself I know I have the initiative, drive and skill to set myself up for life if 26k dropped in my lap, not going to happen in the near future but will someday.     
Happy to do Omega servicing etc around Merseyside,cruise activation, airbag lights sorted too...

STEMO

« Reply #34 on: 10 February 2016, 21:04:26 »

Im on benefits and have been for the past 7 years due to me basically 'retiring' and looking after my wife and managing her illness...

I dont claim 'dole' I do claim Income Support...

I was working full time (and was since leaving school) I had to make the vary hard yet easy decision to look after my wife for however long it takes...

I see people around where I live that do claim dole and have been on benefits for basically all their lives and make a living at it... and TBH it pisses me off... they know how to play the system so they dont have their benefits taken from them.. there is one lad who reckons that the benefots he is on he is entitled to... he hasnt worked a day in his oppsing life and he didnt like me telling him to gte off his arse, stop smoking the green stuff and get a job.... I ducked - he missed but I didnt..... we dont speak anymore....

Free dentists (NHS) are few and far between, glasses aren't free either, unless you are a diabetic nothing is free...

If the people on the programme have been given £26000 to live on for a year, their benefits will be stopped - indefinately as thats the rules if they sign off and live independently of the state they will not be allowed to sign back on for at least 4 years, even after the money goes dry for them... all their benefits will stop including housing benefit and council tax benefit so they will have to pay these for the next 4 years by any means that they can....
Where there's kids involved, they'll get benefits.

moggy

• Omega Knight
  • hartlepool
    • vauxhall omega 3.0 elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 11 February 2016, 07:57:55 »

I did think about watching it,but given our present situation.Both me and the wife working for minimum wage,living week to week struggling to pay rent and all the other bills.And receiving no help from any where,i think it would make me more angry and depressed than i am already.Some times i think we would be better off on benefits, but we are workers and want to pay our own way.I know other people are in the same boat,but its a struggle and i don't think i have ever been so stressed and unhappy in my life.But we will keep plodding on in the hope things may get better.Dean.

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 11 February 2016, 11:35:47 »

I did think about watching it,but given our present situation.Both me and the wife working for minimum wage,living week to week struggling to pay rent and all the other bills.And receiving no help from any where,i think it would make me more angry and depressed than i am already.Some times i think we would be better off on benefits, but we are workers and want to pay our own way.I know other people are in the same boat,but its a struggle and i don't think i have ever been so stressed and unhappy in my life.But we will keep plodding on in the hope things may get better.Dean.

Are you claiming working tax credits, Mr Moggy?

If both your wife and yourself are working for minimum wage you may be entitled.

moggy

• Omega Knight
  • hartlepool
    • vauxhall omega 3.0 elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 12 February 2016, 09:33:19 »

Are you claiming working tax credits, Mr Moggy?

If both your wife and yourself are working for minimum wage you may be entitled.
Hi mate,i will check the web site thanks.Dean.

biggriffin

• Omega Lord
  • huntingdon, Hoof'land
    • Vectra in a posh frock.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 12 February 2016, 11:03:56 »

Do you think ch5 would give £26k to a family who possibly might get work and improve their lot, or a family of work-shy chav's who will pissh the lot and swear and shout. Which makes best TV.
Hoof'land storeman.

2boxerdogs

« Reply #39 on: 12 February 2016, 15:38:40 »

Would rather stick pins in my eyes than watch this s ** t.
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Up

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 21 queries.