Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: just had a slight prang :(  (Read 2605 times)

sneakypenguin

• Intermediate Member
  • Birmingham
  • Xbox gamertag MagicGinjaninja
    • 07 Volvo V70 T5
    • View Profile
just had a slight prang :(
« on: 22 December 2009, 14:17:07 »

Good afternoon everyone,

as title, poped into halfords and was reversing into a space, this van suddenly decides it's a good time to slam it in reverse and and go into my rear passenger side door  :( don't think he knows what mirrors are for.

doesn't look too bad but this close to christmas is rather annoying. Now I need a bit of advice (first prang ever).
Got the guys details, name, address, contact number, van reg no. Do I call my insurance company to let them know whats happened then call someone like helphire as it wasnt my fault to get it sorted?

cheers
07 Volvo V70 T5 SE ex police

Jimbob

• Global Moderator
  • Chester / Flintshire
  • I like traffic lights, but only when they're green
    • E250 Est / Golf GTI
    • View Profile
Re: just had a slight prang :(
« Reply #1 on: 22 December 2009, 14:19:31 »

ouch  :'(

rightly or wrongly I would probably be ringing my insurance company and giving them all the details

alunonhisown

« Reply #2 on: 22 December 2009, 14:31:16 »

Call your insurance company 1st, and if you are entitled to a courtesy car then your insurance company will arrange that for you. They may not use Helphire, the company where the car goes to for the repair may supply you with a courtesy car, albeit a Corsa OR SUCH LIKE

mick11

• Driffield, East Yorkshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 22 December 2009, 14:34:44 »

Ring your insurance company and give them all the details. Most companies have help and advice services to advise you. Also AA or RAC will advise if you are a member. You could need advice as I asume this was not on a public highway and some companies are not interested when accidents are in car parks.
Mick

alunonhisown

« Reply #4 on: 22 December 2009, 14:35:52 »

I was thinking the same Mick, but at this time of year I did not want to be the bearer of sad tidings.

mick11

• Driffield, East Yorkshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 22 December 2009, 14:49:03 »

I have had the same broker for about 15 years.My insurance is not the cheapest, but when the wife rolled our car end over end and wrote it off a couple of years ago in the snow,it was all sorted in a couple of week and they paid out the full market value with no hassle. You get what you pay for with insurance companies.
Mick

sneakypenguin

• Intermediate Member
  • Birmingham
    • 07 Volvo V70 T5
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 22 December 2009, 14:57:23 »

well, just got off the phone with elephant and they're sorting it out. thankfully the van that hit me was insured. they tried putting me through to alabany i think it was but couldn't get through. they're gonna call me sometime soon to get it sorted. releif!
« Last Edit: 22 December 2009, 15:11:24 by sneakypenguin »

Mr Hagon

• Intermediate Member
  • South West London
  • RWD and V6; the only way to travel!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 22 December 2009, 15:30:52 »

I seem to remember that when I wrote off my Omega back in Feb I also got a call from Albany which I assume is the company elephant use as part of the legal cover you get these days.
Vauxhall Omega Elite 3.2 Estate (Mar '02) in Star Silver.

cruisetopoland

• Omega Knight
  • UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 22 December 2009, 15:31:41 »

Only use Helphire or similar if you are doubtful of your insurance company providing a loan car.

These third party companies cost the insurers more than sorting direct (someone has to pay them) and ultimately mean everyone gets a premuim rise in the future.

sneakypenguin

• Intermediate Member
  • Birmingham
    • 07 Volvo V70 T5
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 22 December 2009, 15:47:43 »

well the guy at elephant said they would provide a like for like courtesy car, just hope it can be arranged before thursday as I'm off to birmingham to spend crimbo with my mum

cruisetopoland

• Omega Knight
  • UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 22 December 2009, 15:54:33 »

well the guy at elephant said they would provide a like for like courtesy car, just hope it can be arranged before thursday as I'm off to birmingham to spend crimbo with my mum

You'll probably get a nice E-class then!!  Enjoy  :y

cruisetopoland

• Omega Knight
  • UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 22 December 2009, 15:59:48 »

You'll probably get a nice E-class then!!  Enjoy  :y

Be aware that if you are away for longer than it takes to repair, they will still want it back the second the Omega is done.  Should not be an issue with bodyshops closing for Christmas and the after-snow-collision-repair rush though.  So the van driver got you a flash new car for your Christmas trip then  ;D

sneakypenguin

• Intermediate Member
  • Birmingham
    • 07 Volvo V70 T5
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 22 December 2009, 17:29:45 »

lol, yeah, looking forward to whatever they give me, if they ever phone me back! doubt they're going to call now, probably finished for the day.

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
  • My Old 3.2 V6 Elite (LPG)
    • Audi A6 Allroad 3.0 DTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 22 December 2009, 17:34:05 »

Elephant must be getting peed off with idiots reversing into their clients cars !! I'm with them to, and awaiting the news on my repairs.. :(

Albany are the 3rd party recovery folks .. will try to get back your uninsured losses ... ie your excess  .. :)

sneakypenguin

• Intermediate Member
  • Birmingham
    • 07 Volvo V70 T5
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 22 December 2009, 17:40:22 »

well the elephant guy said they were going to waive my excess as it wasn't my fault which is a result

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
  • My Old 3.2 V6 Elite (LPG)
    • Audi A6 Allroad 3.0 DTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 22 December 2009, 17:45:16 »

well the elephant guy said they were going to waive my excess as it wasn't my fault which is a result

If the other guy has admitted liability then they can do so very quickly.... unfortunately the guy who hit me

1) Hasn't reported the fact to his insurers yet.

2) At the time accused me of hitting him.... ( must remember how I moved nearly 2 tonne of car sideways whilst stationary ...  )

So I might have to take him to court for my excess.. :(
« Last Edit: 22 December 2009, 17:45:38 by entwood »

sneakypenguin

• Intermediate Member
  • Birmingham
    • 07 Volvo V70 T5
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 22 December 2009, 17:50:41 »

bad luck,it annoys me when people do that, why can't they just admit they made a bobo? the guy who hit me said 'sorry' which is admitting fault so no problems there. Surely he's breaking the law, doesn't it have to be reported within 24hrs?

MickAP

• Omega Knight
  • South Derbyshire
  • Facelift 2.5TD Estate "Chipped" not anymore
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 22 December 2009, 20:33:18 »

bad luck,it annoys me when people do that, why can't they just admit they made a bobo? the guy who hit me said 'sorry' which is admitting fault so no problems there. Surely he's breaking the law, doesn't it have to be reported within 24hrs?

Only if there is an injury to someone I believe.

Mick

hotel21

• Administrator
  • The Kingdom of Fife
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 22 December 2009, 20:45:44 »

Only if there is an injury to someone I believe.

Mick

Road Traffic Act 1988 - Duties in case of accident - section 170

Duty of driver to stop, report accident and give information or documents .(1)
This section applies in a case where, owing to the presence of a motor vehicle on a road, an accident occurs by which— .
(a)
personal injury is caused to a person other than the driver of that motor vehicle, or .
(b)
damage is caused— .
(i)
to a vehicle other than that motor vehicle or a trailer drawn by that motor vehicle, or .
(ii)
to an animal other than an animal in or on that motor vehicle or a trailer drawn by that motor vehicle, or .
(iii)
to any other property constructed on, fixed to, growing in or otherwise forming part of the land on which the road in question is situated or land adjacent to such land. .

(2)
The driver of the motor vehicle must stop and, if required to do so by any person having reasonable grounds for so requiring, give his name and address and also the name and address of the owner and the identification marks of the vehicle. .

(3)
If for any reason the driver of the motor vehicle does not give his name and address under subsection (2) above, he must report the accident. .
(4)
A person who fails to comply with subsection (2) or (3) above is guilty of an offence. .
(5)
If, in a case where this section applies by virtue of subsection (1)(a) above, the driver of the vehicle does not at the time of the accident produce such a certificate of insurance or security, or other evidence, as is mentioned in section 165(2)(a) of this Act— .
(a)
to a constable, or .
(b)
to some person who, having reasonable grounds for so doing, has required him to produce it, .
the driver must report the accident and produce such a certificate or other evidence.
This subsection does not apply to the driver of an invalid carriage.
(6)
To comply with a duty under this section to report an accident or to produce such a certificate of insurance or security, or other evidence, as is mentioned in section 165(2)(a) of this Act, the driver— .
(a)
must do so at a police station or to a constable, and .
(b)
must do so as soon as is reasonably practicable and, in any case, within twenty-four hours of the occurrence of the accident. .
(7)
A person who fails to comply with a duty under subsection (5) above is guilty of an offence, but he shall not be convicted by reason only of a failure to produce a certificate or other evidence if, within five days after the occurrence of the accident, the certificate or other evidence is produced at a police station that was specified by him at the time when the accident was reported. .
(8)
In this section “animal” means horse, cattle, ass, mule, sheep, pig, goat or dog.

In any event, the person who struck you/your car passed the relevant info to you at the time therefore complied with the law.   ;)

Note that the giving of insurance details only applies in the case of injury....

« Last Edit: 22 December 2009, 20:48:11 by hotel21 »

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 22 December 2009, 20:55:45 »

Note that the giving of insurance details only applies in the case of injury....

Am I correct in saying that it's only a copper you need to give details to when requested?
I really upset one bloke years ago when I told him where to go when he demanded insurance details .... after HE'D hit the back of my car  :-?  :-?  :-?

hotel21

• Administrator
  • The Kingdom of Fife
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 22 December 2009, 21:03:24 »

Am I correct in saying that it's only a copper you need to give details to when requested?
I really upset one bloke years ago when I told him where to go when he demanded insurance details .... after HE'D hit the back of my car  :-?  :-?  :-?

If its a non injury accident, insurance details need not be divulged.

Had a similar when I touched mirrors with Joe Salesrep in his company sledge on a tight country corner some years ago.  Mine flipped back into place, undamaged, whilst his was in smithereens.

He was quite shirty and adamant regarding insurance details until I explained the facts of life to him, in more ways than one......    He eventually worked out it was cheaper to visit a scrappy to replace his than report it to his manager....   ;D

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up

Page created in 0.028 seconds with 18 queries.