Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Author Topic: So what have you done to your car today?  (Read 3061905 times)

YZ250

• Omega Baron
  • Oxford/Bucks border
    • Black 3.2 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
Re: So what have you done to your car today?
« Reply #26115 on: 12 February 2024, 11:53:18 »

Got it wet.  ::)  A lot of roads out our way are flooded so the highway’s people have put traffic lights either side of each flood to allow traffic in both directions to have a chance at going through the shallow bit without some tool coming the other way.  ::)
I have first hand experience of one of the floods, as I completely drowned my Dad’s brand new car in it many many years ago. This particular flood (road currently closed) has, within the last few days, completely eaten a 4x4 and a Transit van. You can just about see the van roof level with the water  ;D  It’s a dip under a railway bridge and *steered well clear of* by locals at the merest hint of rain.

I am local but I was young and unaware that it flooded so bad back then.  ;D  There is a shallow end which starts at just inches deep and gradually rises to over seven feet deep over a distance of approximately two hundred yards, and a deep end from the ridge which puts you straight in the deep end. The graded end gives you some warning as it gets deeper gradually, whereas the deep end is instantly deep.
Guess which end I went in.  :-[  ;D
At least you got out

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-12452701/Liverpool-flood-deaths-Horrified-witness-describes-scenes-like-burst-dam-footage-shows-waterlogged-road-two-people-Mercedes-died.html

Indeed, unlike the poor couple in your link, how sad.  In my case the car bobbed about briefly before sinking so we managed to get out of the windows before it went fully under. It was pitch black so the first I knew of it was when I saw lights flashing everywhere (water reflection) and coming to an abrupt halt. I woke my Dad up at 2am to tell him I’d completely drowned his new car. Bless him, I still can’t believe how calm he was and how well he took that news.   :)
We were lucky as it was just me and my Mrs in the car. It doesn’t bear thinking about having kids strapped in the back.

My fun car is a 2020 Bmw F32 430d M Sport with indicators.
My cruiser is an Audi A6 Avant S Line Black Edition with indicators.

YZ250

• Omega Baron
  • Oxford/Bucks border
    • Black 3.2 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26116 on: 12 February 2024, 21:28:57 »

The AA used to produce a two inch thick hardback book about driving and all the pitfalls that could become a person operating a car.

On chapter dealt with driving into a puddle that some how became a river and finally a harbour, and I thinking about it afterwards I couldn't help but think "Christ that escalated quickly"... Obviously there are still stretches of road around the place that can obviously swallow a car whole :o

The road being at two different heights causes the flood under this bridge. This photo was taken about three years ago and about three days after the initial flood, so the water level had started to come down.  :y  The 4x4/SUV vehicle was a tad optimistic entering from the shallow end as the van was already in there.  ::)  Both vehicles were fully submerged at one stage.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #26117 on: 13 February 2024, 08:41:16 »

That looks familiar YZ, is that the road to Aston Sandford, where it goes under the Slug line?
Grumpy old man

YZ250

• Omega Baron
  • Oxford/Bucks border
    • Black 3.2 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26118 on: 13 February 2024, 09:14:47 »

That looks familiar YZ, is that the road to Aston Sandford, where it goes under the Slug line?

Yes, Kingsey Bridge.  :y

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • Too many, mostly broken
    • View Profile
« Reply #26119 on: 16 February 2024, 00:20:02 »

Drove it just over 1,000 miles in four days. Loaded to the gunwells. Six people, one mobility scooter, one pram, plus a roof box and half the boot full of assorted cr@p.

Managed just under 40mpg and didn't miss a beat. I still need to sort that annoying squeak (reat suspension bush is the current suspect) but overall I'm very happy with its performance  :y

Taking it to the local eastern European hand car wash on Saturday to treat it. It honestly looks like a family of bears has ransacked in the back  ::) ;D.

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #26120 on: 16 February 2024, 07:07:35 »

Drove it just over 1,000 miles in four days. Loaded to the gunwells. Six people, one mobility scooter, one pram, plus a roof box and half the boot full of assorted cr@p.

Managed just under 40mpg and didn't miss a beat. I still need to sort that annoying squeak (reat suspension bush is the current suspect) but overall I'm very happy with its performance  :y

Taking it to the local eastern European hand car wash on Saturday to treat it. It honestly looks like a family of bears has ransacked in the back  ::) ;D.
Turns out it was a good buy then, Jim  :y The arse always twitches slightly with any strange noise from a car you've just bought  ;D
Diesel till I die

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • View Profile
« Reply #26121 on: 16 February 2024, 07:27:23 »

Yes Ste, very much performs as advertised, a much nicer prospect than doing the same journey in the Zafira, as we did a couple of years ago. The engine also really suits the car, enough grunt to still move you along nicely even when fully laden.

As with any new-to-me car there are some bits I want to do but overall a really nice result  :y. As a bonus, my father in law is as deaf as a door post, so we sat him by the squeak and he was non the wiser  ;D

Jimbob

• Global Moderator
  • Chester / Flintshire
  • I like traffic lights, but only when they're green
    • E250 Est / Golf GTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #26122 on: 16 February 2024, 10:39:00 »

More of a this week than today.....
But had the eldests Corsa HIAB'd out a field and recovered home, cleaned it off ready to work out what needs fixing at the weekend :(

countrywoman

• worcestershire
    • skoda yeti
    • View Profile
« Reply #26123 on: 16 February 2024, 10:51:47 »

Got a Sabre saw from Lidl as I have the batteries for it, now I just need a car to roof chop !!

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • View Profile
« Reply #26124 on: 16 February 2024, 11:12:32 »

But had the eldests Corsa HIAB'd out a field and recovered home, cleaned it off ready to work out what needs fixing at the weekend :(

Ouch! Everyone ok I hope? You can always bend the tin back into shape, people less so... :-\

Rangie

• Omega Lord
  • Lincolnshire
    • RRS TDV8 Subaru Forester
    • View Profile
« Reply #26125 on: 16 February 2024, 11:22:38 »

Booked the RRS in to have a new suspension compressor fitted, last replaced in 2016 according to its service history , has thrown up a couple of faults recently and seems a bit sluggish when operating.
Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level & beat you with their experience.

Jimbob

• Global Moderator
  • Chester / Flintshire
  • I like traffic lights, but only when they're green
    • E250 Est / Golf GTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #26126 on: 16 February 2024, 12:41:35 »

Ouch! Everyone ok I hope? You can always bend the tin back into shape, people less so... :-\

Yes He's ok thanks, hopefully a lesson learned.
Gonna need at least a from bumper and some paint / tidying, prob a wheel. lost its coolant so need to find from where.  will know more when i get under it in the light.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #26127 on: 16 February 2024, 20:55:04 »

Everyone needs a good smash to drum home some limits.  Fortunately sounds that the learning exercise completed without any harm beyond pride (and a bumper and radiator etc)
Grumpy old man

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #26128 on: 16 February 2024, 21:02:01 »

Did the first long-ish trip in hers today, seeing as mine is still busted.  Previously, furtherest I’d gone in it was central Londonium or Brumingham.

Might have gone through some puddles that were deeper than they looked as well.

Ignoring the fact it’s a manual, it was a lovely cruise down to the seaside, and if the app is to be believed, mid 50s on Opti’s favourite fuel
Grumpy old man

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #26129 on: 16 February 2024, 21:50:18 »

Did the first long-ish trip in hers today, seeing as mine is still busted.  Previously, furtherest I’d gone in it was central Londonium or Brumingham.

Might have gone through some puddles that were deeper than they looked as well.

Ignoring the fact it’s a manual, it was a lovely cruise down to the seaside, and if the app is to be believed, mid 50s on Opti’s favourite fuel

They are every bit as comfy a mile eater as the Omega was. (when burning the correct fuel, at any rate. ;D Never sampled the tractor variant.)
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Page created in 0.025 seconds with 19 queries.