Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: 1 ... 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 [41] 42   Go Down

Author Topic: Engine noise, terminal?  (Read 62498 times)

Andy H

• Omega Lord
  • Auckland
    • Mazda MPV
    • View Profile
Re: Engine noise, terminal?
« Reply #600 on: 14 May 2010, 11:02:03 »

Am I right in thinking that this thread was about the silver bullet and pt2 was about the golden nugget?

Was there any good news at the end?

If not good news was there a definitive diagnosis of the malady and what caused it??
"Deja Moo - The feeling that you've heard this bull somewhere before."

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #601 on: 14 May 2010, 11:03:33 »

Am I right in thinking that this thread was about the silver bullet and pt2 was about the golden nugget?

If not good news was there a definitive diagnosis of the malady and what caused it??
Correct.

Silver Bullet still has an issue, now sounds lifter related...
Grumpy old man

Andy H

• Omega Lord
  • Auckland
    • Mazda MPV
    • View Profile
« Reply #602 on: 14 May 2010, 11:48:16 »

Correct.

Has MarksDTM managed to take any oil pressure readings?

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #603 on: 14 May 2010, 11:50:34 »

Correct.

Has MarksDTM managed to take any oil pressure readings?
Not yet I'm afraid, I believe he is still waiting for something before he can attempt it.

Current status appears to be that its tapperty when cold for a few secs.  Not really caned it (too much ::)), so not sure if it returns at high rpm for and length of time - sounded quiet-ish after a 6m 'incident' following a Porsche the other night ::)
Grumpy old man

Andy H

• Omega Lord
  • Auckland
    • Mazda MPV
    • View Profile
« Reply #604 on: 14 May 2010, 12:50:06 »

Slightly off topic but might be helpful.

The Rover V8 has an aluminium timing cover on the front of the block that include the oil pump and pressure relief valve. The pressure relief valve is hard steel bucket with a spring in it in a soft aluminium bore. When the bore wears a ridge develops and the bucket is prone to sticking on the ridge and dumping the oil pressure.

A fix for the problem was a tadpole relief valve instead of a bucket (the tail of the tadpole goes inside the spring and the head gets pushed up against the pressure relief port).

With the Rover V8 you can check the oil pump by pulling out the distributor and using an electric drill to turn the oil pump using an 18" long drive shaft. Not so easy on the V6 :(

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #605 on: 14 May 2010, 13:10:05 »

Not even sure where oil pump is on v6 (never bothered to look/find out) - guessing behind crank pulley ?

Before worrying if it is the oil pump, need to get some oil pressure diags done first.

It may be something as simple as collapsed/tired lifter on the other bank - difficult to locate, as you have about 5s from a cold start before it goes.  Probably also needs a more experienced ear than mine  :-[

Maybe I should try to find a day when Mr DTM needs a hand doing something, so I can get there early, be his bitch for a few hours, then start mine up and let him listen ;D.
Grumpy old man

Andy H

• Omega Lord
  • Auckland
    • Mazda MPV
    • View Profile
« Reply #606 on: 14 May 2010, 14:28:16 »

Yes, the oil pump is behind the front pulley. A gear on the nose of the crankshaft sits inside a ring with teeth on the inside. The ring has slightly more teeth than the gear and runs off centre to the gear to leave a crescent shaped gap that pulls oil in at one end and squeezes it out at high pressure the other.

I think that type of oil pump is nigh on indestructible. Any problems are likely to be caused by blown or worn seals or gaskets (or sticky relief valve or blocked pickup as discussed previously).

I was convinced that either the relief valve or the non return valve on my previous V6 was stuck open because of the racket the tappets made when started from cold but as an oil change was easier than pulling the oil pump off to inspect it I tried it on fully synthetic first.

Either the 5w30 fixed it or the problem fixed itself but I stuck to fully synth oil after that.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #607 on: 14 May 2010, 14:31:20 »

Yes, the oil pump is behind the front pulley. A gear on the nose of the crankshaft sits inside a ring with teeth on the inside. The ring has slightly more teeth than the gear and runs off centre to the gear to leave a crescent shaped gap that pulls oil in at one end and squeezes it out at high pressure the other.

I think that type of oil pump is nigh on indestructible. Any problems are likely to be caused by blown or worn seals or gaskets (or sticky relief valve or blocked pickup as discussed previously).

I was convinced that either the relief valve or the non return valve on my previous V6 was stuck open because of the racket the tappets made when started from cold but as an oil change was easier than pulling the oil pump off to inspect it I tried it on fully synthetic first.

Either the 5w30 fixed it or the problem fixed itself but I stuck to fully synth oil after that.
Forte English Oil Flush seems to help mine for a couple of days  :-X
Grumpy old man

Jimbob

• Global Moderator
  • Chester / Flintshire
  • I like traffic lights, but only when they're green
    • E250 Est / Golf GTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #608 on: 14 May 2010, 14:32:50 »

Interesting sounding product, wonder if they do a Welsh version for use around here?

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #609 on: 14 May 2010, 14:34:08 »

Interesting sounding product, wonder if they do a Welsh version for use around here?
What, to get the sheep fur out of your smalls?
Grumpy old man

Jimbob

• Global Moderator
  • Chester / Flintshire
    • E250 Est / Golf GTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #610 on: 14 May 2010, 14:37:36 »

sheep fur  ;D ;D ;D or wool as its also known  ;D ;D ;D

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #611 on: 14 May 2010, 15:02:52 »

Trust a welshman to know that.  So when you say you wear wollen undies, they aren't bought from M&S then, but are actually 'leftovers' ::)
Grumpy old man

Jimbob

• Global Moderator
  • Chester / Flintshire
    • E250 Est / Golf GTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #612 on: 14 May 2010, 15:06:02 »

Trust a welshman to know that.  So when you say you wear wollen undies, they aren't bought from M&S then, but are actually 'leftovers' ::)

wouldn't say left overs....the sheeps still in em too  ;D

feeutfo

« Reply #613 on: 14 May 2010, 18:33:27 »

dont think oil pressure gauge is particularly expensive, but on the other hand, you'll probably never use it again, local mech has one as discussed recently, he's only used it once or twice and he runs a busy shop.

omega3000

« Reply #614 on: 09 January 2013, 21:39:11 »

What was the diagnosis of this in the end  :-\
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 [41] 42   Go Up

Page created in 0.028 seconds with 18 queries.