Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Breakdown Cover - Multiple Cars  (Read 1078 times)

pscocoa

• Omega Baron
  • Sandhurst Berkshire
    • Volvo V90 D5 AWD
    • View Profile
Breakdown Cover - Multiple Cars
« on: 27 May 2014, 12:53:14 »

I was going to add this post to the running multiple cars thread but it may warrant separate consideration.

I have AA cover with the Bank which is driver based so no need for separate cover but there is obviously an account fee which for the purpose of this post I will say is £17.50 a month. The cover applies to my wife and myself

If I go for a vehicle based policy as opposed to driver based then obviously with 5 insured drivers on each car there is more piece of mind for any insured driver of the car. I can get the Insignia and Omega on good home start cover with long distance recovery and courtesy car for £99 per year the pair. This leaves the Phaeton with VW Assistance and European Recovery and Accommodation at £125 per year.

Is the decision what to do in future really as broad as it is long??

Banks have been heavily criticised for these monthly account fees - eg mobile phone insurance which is now quite limited compared to the insurance offered by EE, and I get Travel Insurance through work etc but these deal may make sense for some.

[img name=signat_img_resize]http://[/img]

Jimbob

• Global Moderator
  • Chester / Flintshire
  • I like traffic lights, but only when they're green
    • E250 Est / Golf GTI
    • View Profile
Re: Breakdown Cover - Multiple Cars
« Reply #1 on: 27 May 2014, 13:10:01 »

I do the same. Joint account with doubled benefits. Phone and breakdown cover are the 2 that make it worthwhile for me. Plus lots more should I want it. I know the cover is basic. But adequate. If I need to pay for a long recovery for example I know I've more than saved enough to pay for it by not having separate cover. Used the AA via the bank once. Quick turn around and job done. I also only pay £7 a month for all this lot :-)

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 28 May 2014, 17:59:40 »

My mum pays for a bank account as its the cheapest way for her to get travel insurance. So there are advanatges to bank account perks for some, *IF* the perks exactly meet your requirements.
Grumpy old man

Spireite

« Reply #3 on: 29 May 2014, 08:52:09 »

So as long as you maintain the car correctly, I've never had break down cover.

Then again I usually replace engine sensor parts when I think they need replacing for piece of mind, I can get bosch parts far cheaper than vauxhall sell, direct from the manufacturer from a guy who has a bosch account and puts a lot of business bosch's way, hence the discount.

Again down to personal experience and personal opinion.

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 29 May 2014, 10:10:22 »

My mum pays for a bank account as its the cheapest way for her to get travel insurance. So there are advanatges to bank account perks for some, *IF* the perks exactly meet your requirements.

Although the travel insurance is a bit basic in experience and not something I would use if going outside of Europe.

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 29 May 2014, 10:32:44 »

Although the travel insurance is a bit basic in experience and not something I would use if going outside of Europe.

Indeed.  My Mum broke her leg during a trip to Cambodia about 10 years ago and the final bill was around the £50,000 mark!  :o 

That included a night in a clinic in Siem Reap (Cambodia), air ambulance to Bangkok where she had an operation to pin her leg back together, a week in Bangkok General, a business class flight back to UK and transport home from Heathrow, accompanied all the way by a nurse.  :y

Luckily she had good insurance and from the first contact they swung into action and organised everything!  8)  Travel insurance is not something to skimp on!  ;)  :)
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 29 May 2014, 19:22:43 »

Not the one she has. Her bank keeps suggesting to her to move to an account with a slightly cheaper monthly fee, but that has relatively poor travel insurance.  I think the one she has doesn't cover things like winter sports though, not that a woman of her age would be looking to take up snowboarding ;D.  Mind you, she never fails to surprise me ;D
Grumpy old man
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.025 seconds with 18 queries.