Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: 2.0 Air Con  (Read 3696 times)

sefton

• Derbyshire
    • View Profile
2.0 Air Con
« on: 17 April 2007, 13:36:28 »

Is the aircon on a 2.0 gls on all the time. I didn't realise that mine had aircon until the pump went noisy! There does not appear to be any aircon switch on the dash. Am I missing something?
Also, could anyone expalin why there are 2 temperature controls - is it front and back or left and right.  cant test properly as the heater fan sounds like it has got a cat stuck in it!
Sorry about the questions but I didn't get a handbook with the car.
Al.

Danny

• Omega Lord
  • Wigan, Greater Manchester
  • BLACK 1.6 BORA SHAPED JETTA!!
    • View Profile
Re: 2.0 Air Con
« Reply #1 on: 17 April 2007, 14:00:00 »

shouldnt be on all the time, I cant remember what causes it to stay on all the time, my bro had a rover that had permanent air con, he had it disconnected, but that's not the wise thing to do

your snowflake button and the "car with the C shaped arrow" (air circulating) button are air con controls, along with anything else to do with blowing air into your car at desired temperatures

If you want a handbook, I have the full book pack for your car model year, I dont need it. yours for £15 if you want it

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 17 April 2007, 14:08:07 »

ok firstly, on a 97 P its unlikey to have air-con. Does it have a sunroof?

The controls you mentioned (2 rotary dials) for the the right and left hand side of the car. ( if the passenger wants different air to the driver)

If you have aircon it will be a button with a snow flake on it, All cars have the car with the C arrow, it just means re-circleate the air. non-aircon models had these.

The noise you have is it on all the time?

sefton

• Derbyshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 17 April 2007, 14:20:00 »

The only button I can see with a snowflake on it is for the auto box.  The noise was coming from the aircon pump, so I put a smaller belt on and bypassed it. (I assume it was the aircon pump - lower right pulley as viewed from front).
Al.

Bo Bo

• Omega Baron
  • Coventry
  • Here's another nice mess you've gotten me into!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 17 April 2007, 14:24:20 »

The controls you mentioned (2 rotary dials) for the the right and left hand side of the car. ( if the passenger wants different air to the driver)
Confused me here tunnie, do you mean climate?
Where would we be without rhetorical questions?!

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 17 April 2007, 14:31:23 »

Confused me here tunnie, do you mean climate?

I am confused now.... right ok:

Sefton: - Your member info says you have a GLS? That correct?

I am assuming it has rotary dials as its a GLS

Which means no climate, just on off air-con.

I assume your dash looks something like this:

If you do not have the button in the red circle you don't have air-con..... (unless for some obsure reason its been removed)
« Last Edit: 17 April 2007, 14:33:43 by tunnie »

sefton

• Derbyshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 17 April 2007, 14:46:35 »

Hi Tunnie, My dash doesn't look like that. I've taken some pics and hopefully they will have loaded.

Al. No snowflake on dash! Please excuse the sh1t radio!

Compressor?

Sunroof

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 17 April 2007, 14:48:37 »

I think somebody has changed the engine for one with an aircon pump attached.....as I cant see any refrigerant pipes....

nixoro

• Omega Baron
  • Hitchin, Herts
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 17 April 2007, 14:51:51 »

Hi Tunnie, My dash doesn't look like that. I've taken some pics and hopefully they will have loaded.

Al. No snowflake on dash! Please excuse the sh1t radio!

Compressor?

Sunroof

It looks to me like someone has removed the AC out of action, when looking in the engine bay do you have a pipe which runs from the bulkhead to the front and across.

Do you have a unit behind your radiator?

First piccy looks as though the button has been removed and capped off.

Second piccy looks like someone has put a shorter belt on to bypass the AC.

Hope this makes sense
« Last Edit: 17 April 2007, 14:55:20 by nixoro »

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 17 April 2007, 14:52:47 »

I think somebody has changed the engine for one with an aircon pump attached.....as I cant see any refrigerant pipes....

Agreed.

Its on CDX Alloys too  :-?

The pull you pictured is a compressor allright, but as DTM mentioned no pipes, and no air-con button.

ians

• Omega Baron
  • Reading
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 17 April 2007, 14:56:24 »

Controls are left and right.  So your mrs can cook while you have fresh air.

The lights in the switches do blow so it may be difficult to tell if its on or not, especially if the refigerant is no more.

nixoro

• Omega Baron
  • Hitchin, Herts
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 17 April 2007, 14:57:03 »

Agreed.

Its on CDX Alloys too  :-?

The pull you pictured is a compressor allright, but as DTM mentioned no pipes, and no air-con button.

Well CD spec alloys guess it could be a project someone has started

nixoro

• Omega Baron
  • Hitchin, Herts
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 17 April 2007, 15:01:47 »

Sefton have you got any pictures of the whole engine :question

Is there any history to say your car has had an engine replacement.
« Last Edit: 17 April 2007, 15:02:53 by nixoro »

ians

• Omega Baron
  • Reading
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 17 April 2007, 15:03:36 »

Sorry mate - way behind the curve here!

I started writing and then got distracted, then had lunch, then saw the plethors of replies since...

tunnie - FYI my 94 GLS has both aircon and sunroof and I remember looking at several of similar age that also had aircon.   I assume the sunroof was standard whether air or not,  then again I have seen cars with no sunroof...

Cheers!

Ian

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 17 April 2007, 15:06:56 »

Sorry mate - way behind the curve here!

I started writing and then got distracted, then had lunch, then saw the plethors of replies since...

tunnie - FYI my 94 GLS has both aircon and sunroof and I remember looking at several of similar age that also had aircon.   I assume the sunroof was standard whether air or not,  then again I have seen cars with no sunroof...

Cheers!

Ian

Up until 1998 it was either sunroof or air-con on the GLS.

My dad had a lease '97 GLS P reg, air-con was an optional extra at the time, sunroof was standard. But his was just at the border line change..

A '94 GLS with air-con and run roof is a rare beast.... GLS of that age it would have been optional extra.

sefton

• Derbyshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 17 April 2007, 15:27:06 »

Thanks for the replies guys.
In answer to your questions, I put the CD wheels on as the original alloys had crap tyres on. Bought them off eBay with 4 good Michelins on them.
I have loads of main dealer SH, but nothing to suggest an engine change.
The belt was changed by to a shorter one myself when the comressor became noisy. (If you look closely at the pictures you can see the metal filings from the compresor on the bottom cover)
There is a "radiator" (if that is the correct term) in front of the normal radiator, has that got something to do with the aircon?
Here's a picture of the complete engine.
Al.

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 17 April 2007, 15:31:53 »

its got a condensor too?  :o

It looks like a radiator but the 'mesh' is thiner and the condensor is usually dark grey/black?

Well thats very confusing.... I still don't see any air-con piping your in engine bay!

Could be someone started to retro fit it, then gave up  :-/

sefton

• Derbyshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 17 April 2007, 15:41:36 »

Should I be able to see pipes going to the compressor when viewed from the front?
I can see a pipe which seems to come from the top and goes to the passenger side of the radiator (not the power steering pipes)
al.

nixoro

• Omega Baron
  • Hitchin, Herts
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 17 April 2007, 15:43:28 »

its got a condensor too?  :o

It looks like a radiator but the 'mesh' is thiner and the condensor is usually dark grey/black?

Well thats very confusing.... I still don't see any air-con piping your in engine bay!

Could be someone started to retro fit it, then gave up  :-/

Tunnie looks like your right as mine has refrigerant pipes running from the Bulkhead and sefton has them missing.

The black piece on the back of the RAD is the fan.

As to the retrofitting AC perhaps someone started and gave up :-/

Matchless

• Omega Knight
  • Nottingham
    • A white van
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 17 April 2007, 16:23:48 »

Sefton...post up a picture of the engine bay, we want to see any pipes running down rhs of engine to bulkhead and a shot of the gap between engine and radiator.

Im with Mark, the car doesnt have a/c but has had an engine change for one with a compressor.

Pics. will confirm.

ians

• Omega Baron
  • Reading
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 17 April 2007, 16:27:53 »

Is it worth comparing engine number off the block with the one on the log book?

Martin_1962

« Reply #21 on: 17 April 2007, 16:32:17 »

2.0 & Aircon - I can verify

P reg GLS - Aircon as standard, no sun roof

N reg GLSes at least 3 sunroof no aircon
N reg CD aircon & sunroof

N reg GLS James both

Sometime between N and P reg the interiors were changed, aircon replaced sun roofs, outlet positions on the knobs changed, head rests changed.

P reg GLS had nice wheels the N reg GLSs had steels, the N reg CD had similar wheels to the thread starter

Matchless

• Omega Knight
  • Nottingham
    • A white van
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 17 April 2007, 16:34:18 »

Whats all the extra pipework ty-wrapped to the top hose and looping around by the secondary air?

Its a while since I had a 2.0 but that looks odd.

sefton

• Derbyshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 17 April 2007, 16:54:08 »

Well, It does seem a mystery!  I've taken some more photos, but to be honest I don't know what I'm looking for!

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 17 April 2007, 17:24:48 »

N reg GLS James both

Sometime between N and P reg the interiors were changed, aircon replaced sun roofs, outlet positions on the knobs changed, head rests changed.

P reg GLS had nice wheels the N reg GLSs had steels, the N reg CD had similar wheels to the thread starter

P Reg GLS did not have air-con as standard.... my dad had one. It had nice alloy wheels and a sun roof, but no air con. It still had the sqaure headrests so before mini-f

After mini-f GLS had air-con as standard

Can see here a list of AT GLS ones, pre 1998 ones did not have air-con unless it was an optional extra...

http://atsearch.autotrader.co.uk/www/cars_search.jsp?searchform=&modelexact=1&lid=search_used_cars_full&photo=1&state=block&sort=3&hassearched=Y&make=VAUXHALL&min_pr=75&source=0&model=OMEGA&max_pr=&miles=40&agerange=&mileage=&postcode=gu15+3qd&variant=GLS&bodyid=0&trim=&fuelid=0&colour=&transmissionid=0&keywords=&ukcarsearch_full.x=32&ukcarsearch_full.y=3
« Last Edit: 17 April 2007, 17:26:51 by tunnie »

sefton

• Derbyshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 17 April 2007, 17:35:37 »

I have found 2 pipes which go from the passenger side of the bulkhead near the rear breather pipe. 1 goes to some sort of small cylinder near to the compressor, the other goes to a canister (?) next to the condenser. Are these aircon pipes?
Al.

Martin_1962

« Reply #26 on: 17 April 2007, 18:33:17 »

N reg GLS James both

P Reg GLS did not have air-con as standard.... my dad had one. It had nice alloy wheels and a sun roof, but no air con. It still had the sqaure headrests so before mini-f

After mini-f GLS had air-con as standard

Can see here a list of AT GLS ones, pre 1998 ones did not have air-con unless it was an optional extra...

My P reg GLS had aircon

nixoro

• Omega Baron
  • Hitchin, Herts
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 18 April 2007, 10:01:52 »

Sefton, Looking at your images it looks like someone has had a go at fitting it.

The 1st picture shows the pipework running across the front of the engine near the auxillary Belt and also visible is the alternator.

The 2nd picture shows the pipework coming from the Bulkhead (piccy courtesy of Auto Addict?)

Having looked at your pictures someone has obviously had ago as like tunnie mentions in a previous post you also have the condenser unit fitted.

Thing which i find strange is the radiator has not been swapped as the one fitted is for a non AC car, same goes for the Fan aswell.

In one of your pictures you can see a black pipe running from the bulkhead does this run to anything? (5th Picture down)

Hope this helps to confirm your suspicions
« Last Edit: 18 April 2007, 10:06:30 by nixoro »

sefton

• Derbyshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 18 April 2007, 11:32:35 »

Hi nixoro, thanks for that, the plot thickens! the pipe in the 5th picture down goes from the bulkhead to a "canister" at the side of the condenser in front of the radiator. The other pipe coming from the bulkhead adjacent to that one goes into another "canister" at the side of the engine above the compressor - this looks the same as the one in your photo which is at the front of the engine.
What I can't understand is why someone would go to all this trouble and not fit a switch inside. I have most of the SH with the car and it is all Vx main dealer up until July '06. no mention of any A/C servicing or problems etc. So if someone has decided to do a retro fit then it must have been recently, although it doesn't look like the pipework has been moved for years! I haven't got the V5 yet so when it arrives I will get in touch with the owner who bought it last July. Not that it matters too much, as I am not planning on reconnecting it, but I love a mystery!
Al.

nixoro

• Omega Baron
  • Hitchin, Herts
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 18 April 2007, 11:55:42 »

Hi nixoro, thanks for that, the plot thickens! the pipe in the 5th picture down goes from the bulkhead to a "canister" at the side of the condenser in front of the radiator. The other pipe coming from the bulkhead adjacent to that one goes into another "canister" at the side of the engine above the compressor - this looks the same as the one in your photo which is at the front of the engine.
What I can't understand is why someone would go to all this trouble and not fit a switch inside. I have most of the SH with the car and it is all Vx main dealer up until July '06. no mention of any A/C servicing or problems etc. So if someone has decided to do a retro fit then it must have been recently, although it doesn't look like the pipework has been moved for years! I haven't got the V5 yet so when it arrives I will get in touch with the owner who bought it last July. Not that it matters too much, as I am not planning on reconnecting it, but I love a mystery!
Al.

Seems very odd to go to all that trouble, I wonder if the loom is in place for the AC switch and if it has been enabled/setup in your ecu.

Could be a case of a few more tweaks and you could have AC.

sefton

• Derbyshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 18 April 2007, 12:05:40 »

I'll have to whip the blanking plate off on the dash to see if the connector is there. The compressor has wires going to it - looks like they haven't been disturbed for years. Don't know about getting it working though - the compressor is extremly noisey i that's how I found out abut the aircon in the first place, With no switch on the dash I didn't know it had it. (well I suppose tecnically it doesn't!)
Al.

nixoro

• Omega Baron
  • Hitchin, Herts
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 18 April 2007, 12:10:15 »

I'll have to whip the blanking plate off on the dash to see if the connector is there. The compressor has wires going to it - looks like they haven't been disturbed for years. Don't know about getting it working though - the compressor is extremly noisey i that's how I found out abut the aircon in the first place, With no switch on the dash I didn't know it had it. (well I suppose tecnically it doesn't!)
Al.

Did you have an aux belt which went on the compressor aswell before.

If the compressor is noisy it sound to me it needs gassing think it helps with the clutch engaging and releasing or something like that.

sefton

• Derbyshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 18 April 2007, 12:21:37 »

Yes, when I got the car the drive belt went around the compressor.  I changed it to a shorter one when the noise appeared. I think the compressor is Kn@ckered though as I can see metal filings underneath it.
Al.

nixoro

• Omega Baron
  • Hitchin, Herts
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 18 April 2007, 12:26:14 »

Yes, when I got the car the drive belt went around the compressor.  I changed it to a shorter one when the noise appeared. I think the compressor is Kn@ckered though as I can see metal filings underneath it.
Al.

I wonder if it has been working in the past, could be that because there is no switch there to turn it off it was constantly engaged and possibly working.

Certainly worth looking into I guess

sefton

• Derbyshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 20 April 2007, 14:40:20 »

Is it worth comparing engine number off the block with the one on the log book?

Could someone please tell me whereabouts the engine number is located?

Darth Loo-knee

• Omega Queen
  • Death Star
  • Jammie smells of Pooh....
    • TIE Fighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 20 April 2007, 20:02:54 »

The only button I can see with a snowflake on it is for the auto box.  The noise was coming from the aircon pump, so I put a smaller belt on and bypassed it. (I assume it was the aircon pump - lower right pulley as viewed from front).
Al.

The only "Snowflake" I have is to the passenger side o the gearstick, which is for driving in the snow (stays in third gear I believe). As for my air con i turn it on by pressing the "Auto" button then turn down the temp to LO and the air blows out full bore, if I raise the temp up the air blows out less...
Hope that helps :y
« Last Edit: 20 April 2007, 20:03:12 by Loo-knee »
Everything to do with Omega's. Breaking, Servicing from Cambelts to Oil Changes... Please Pm me for details...
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Up

Page created in 0.052 seconds with 22 queries.