Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Misuse of Disabled Parking Spaces & Access  (Read 4852 times)

JesterRT

• Intermediate Member
  • Stafford
    • View Profile
Re: Misuse of Disabled Parking Spaces & Access
« Reply #15 on: 17 January 2007, 20:10:34 »

Aye - sorry 'bout the Jags...  :)  Got caught up in my rant.

Just out of interest I looked at the cars parked outside my office on the way to my my own and found a BMW Z4 parked not only in the disabled bay, but actually in the middle of two disabled bays...  no badge, no nothing.  I just hope somebody who needs to use them parks across them.

Del Boy

• Omega Queen
  • Kent, UK.
    • 2012 '62' BMW 730d MSport
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 17 January 2007, 22:04:35 »

I dont get what this petition is about?
It says to make misuse illegal.

It's something that really gets me too, why active people can't walk a few yards is beyond me.
I'm afraid lack of respect & are ignorance are a growing trend.

Agreed
Drives: 2013 (13) BMW 530d M Sport Touring, 2011 '61' BMW 520d SE.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 17 January 2007, 22:06:40 »

I dont get what this petition is about?
It says to make misuse illegal.

It's something that really gets me too, why active people can't walk a few yards is beyond me.
I'm afraid lack of respect & are ignorance are a growing trend.

Agreed
Whilst I don't believe (in most circumstances) non disabled drivers should use these spaces, it annoys me more when I see orange badge holders abuse their rights...
Grumpy old man

Eddy Matthews

• Thornaby, Cleveland
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 17 January 2007, 22:13:39 »

As I've stated in previous messages, I have a severely mentally and physically handicapped daughter - She cannot talk or understand anything other than the simplest things, and she uses a wheelchair for any distance over about 50mtrs

Our local Asda has disabled bays right in front of the store, and the local Taxis park there constantly - I got so annoyed last year that I deliberately parked right behind one (not in any bay at all) and left my car there for two hours, even though I could have done the shopping I wanted in 15 minutes! I think I got my point across as I've never seen that particular driver park there since!

My other pet hate is the morons that park right up to the tailgate of my car and don't leave any room for me to get the wheelchair out - Even though there is a sticker on the rear screen that asks other motorists to leave a six foot gap to allow access.

Being a person with a genuine problem as far as my daughter is concerned, I'm afraid I have no time for idiots that don't appreciate (or even want to appreciate) the problems involved!

Okay, rant over (for now!).

Regards
Eddy

Auto Addict

• Administrator
  • North Birmingham
  • Back to Vx to keep TB happy
    • Astra K Elite ST
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 17 January 2007, 22:25:16 »

At the local supermarket a few weeks ago, a 'Rich Bitch' in a Merc pulled parked in a disabled bay, as she walked into the supermarket I said to her 'You look disabled', she gave me a look to kill.
I like red cars

Chopsdad

• Omega Baron
  • Bouncy Castle in Carlisle
  • Keep it clean!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 17 January 2007, 23:35:48 »

I agree 100% about disabled bays and would personally never use them, but do get frustrated looking for a "Parent & Toddler" space to find 10 disabled spaces unused and all the baby one's full of the same abusers that like to park in a bigger space, but I still won't use them.

Had to drive Mrs C away from rowing with a woman at Asda last month - thought it was gonna come to blows and she's only 5'3" as she reversed infront of her to slot her mini in a kiddy space.

Why not buy some of these http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/JOKE-PARKING-TICKETS-x-50-WIND-SOMEONE-UP-GREAT-FUN_W0QQitemZ150082293593QQihZ005QQcategoryZ58740QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

The tick list inside includes boxes for being inconsiderate or parking too close.  You'll feel better for it and it worth hanging around to watch the colour drain from their face when they see it  ;)
[img name=signat_img_resize]http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o317/chopsdad/oof.jpg[/IMG]                                                       [img name=signat_img_resize]http://i123.photobucket.com/albu

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 18 January 2007, 09:25:56 »

The most crazy thing is, that the people who do miss use them are the ones that spend 1+ hours a night at a private members Gym.....

They claim to be fit an healthy yet are to dam idle to walk 200 meters from a parking spot to a shop.....

Paul M

• Omega Knight
  • Edinburgh
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 18 January 2007, 17:16:40 »

It reflects the ignorance and selfish nature of some of todays people....

When the father in law was ill and had a disabled badge I couldn't park in Sainsburys carpark because some tosser in an X5 had parked in one. I parked across the back of him whilst he went wth the mother in law into the shop and I stood and watched....the owner was realy annoyed but, learnt a valuable lesson....he waited 45 minutes to get out.....

Maybe he parked there as a mentally disabled driver? You have to be pretty brain-dead to drive an X5 :-[

JamesV6CDX

• Omega Queen
  • Gloucestershire/Buckinghamshire
    • Omega 3.2 Retail MV6 LPG
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 18 January 2007, 17:41:52 »

My real irritation is the selfish, thoughtless, lazy, IQ dleiquent morons who park in disabled spaces but are not blue badge holders!!  >:(

Generally it is businessmen in expensive cars/Chelsea tractors.

SWMBO mum is disabled (MS) and when I am over in NI, I often take her out shopping.
It REALLY p*sses me off to find disabled parking spaces have been taken by a*rseholes who can't be bothered to park a bit further away from the shops!

The spaces are closer to the shops and wides than other spaces for a reason.
I have to take out a wheelchair, and then get her into it. Not easy in normal spaces!

I wish shopping centres would actually clamp people who blatantly abuse these spaces as I see it being the only way to stop these thoughtless t*ssers!

I have had a few run ins with people I have seen just sitting in a space, just waiting form someone, especially when they have taken the last space.
Suffice to say I am not a small person, and can be quite intimidating if they don't agree to my initial polite request... ;)
I point out to them when they argue, please go call the security/Police and explain what exactly you are doing parking in this area....  ;)

OK, rant over... just something I am passionate about, disabled rights.

You've seen me Dave, I'm NOT a big guy, but I've been known to confront tw*ts who mis-use disabled spaces, it's a huge bugbear of mine.

The other night I was at Tesco. I parked in a normal bay, which was near the disabled bay. A woman came out of the store, probably late 20's, wearing a little skirt, thinking she owned the world. She walked over to this 06 reg VW, that was in a disabled space, and got in.

I managed to bite my lip and didn't go say anything.....

..... Until I saw a bag full of rubbish come FLYING out of the drivers window.

I picked up the bag of rubbish, and walked over to her car. She wound down the window, and I said "I think you dropped something that belongs to you...." .... and then proceeded to throw the bag of rubbish (inc manky banana skins!!) into the car!! The look on her face was priceless... she was too shocked to speak, but needless to say I felt a lot better.

Usually I'm very very placid, but this mentality I cannot stand.

Doubt she'll park in a disabled bay and throw bags of rubbish out of the window again ;D

Bo Bo

• Omega Baron
  • Coventry
  • Here's another nice mess you've gotten me into!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 18 January 2007, 18:26:59 »

My real irritation is the selfish, thoughtless, lazy, IQ dleiquent morons who park in disabled spaces but are not blue badge holders!!  >:(

SWMBO mum is disabled (MS) and when I am over in NI, I often take her out shopping.
It REALLY p*sses me off to find disabled parking spaces have been taken by a*rseholes who can't be bothered to park a bit further away from the shops!

I have to take out a wheelchair, and then get her into it. Not easy in normal spaces!

I wish shopping centres would actually clamp people who blatantly abuse these spaces as I see it being the only way to stop these thoughtless t*ssers!

I have had a few run ins with people I have seen just sitting in a space, just waiting form someone, especially when they have taken the last space.
Suffice to say I am not a small person, and can be quite intimidating if they don't agree to my initial polite request... ;)
I point out to them when they argue, please go call the security/Police and explain what exactly you are doing parking in this area....  ;)

You've seen me Dave, I'm NOT a big guy, but I've been known to confront tw*ts who mis-use disabled spaces, it's a huge bugbear of mine.

The other night I was at Tesco. I parked in a normal bay, which was near the disabled bay. A woman came out of the store, probably late 20's, wearing a little skirt, thinking she owned the world. She walked over to this 06 reg VW, that was in a disabled space, and got in.

I picked up the bag of rubbish, and walked over to her car. She wound down the window, and I said "I think you dropped something that belongs to you...." .... and then proceeded to throw the bag of rubbish (inc manky banana skins!!) into the car!! The look on her face was priceless... she was too shocked to speak, but needless to say I felt a lot better.

Doubt she'll park in a disabled bay and throw bags of rubbish out of the window again ;D
Like your style  :y
Where would we be without rhetorical questions?!

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 18 January 2007, 18:53:48 »

You often see young lads at McDonalds type places just throw their rubbish out of the window. I to usually confront, because it is sheer laziness. As is using Disabled spaces (unless they are the only ones left, which happens where I work).
Grumpy old man

hotel21

• Administrator
  • The Kingdom of Fife
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 19 January 2007, 10:35:22 »

On the litter angle, I agree with your tactics.  Its also a pet hate of mine.

Its not the first time I have witnessed some rubbish being ejected from a moving car then stopped it to speak to the culprit (perk of the job).  They then get offerred a choice.....

Accept a ticket and proceed on their way, or turn about and return to where it was thrown away and reclaim it.  If they go for the latter, I generally follow to ensure its done.

Can take a wee chunk of their time away from them, as well as their petrol and the embarrassment factor ensures its probably not done again!

supermop

• Hoddesdon
  • User account problem.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 19 January 2007, 10:51:33 »

Now theres a big pet hate of mine. Littering. It really doesn't take much to chuck it in a bin. I hate when my friends do it, and usually take the piss out of them and use some form of extreme sarcasm. Works, but for some reason I don't have a lot of friends anymore :(

Dan McIntyre

• Mirfield, West Yorks
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 20 January 2007, 02:15:39 »

Gosh cant believe I havent seen this thread before!!

As a disabled driver myself (wheelchair user) it also narks me off seeing these things get abused.

I have stickers in my rear window asking people to leave me space to get my wheelchair in and out yet people choose to ignore them.  One of these days I'm going to just let the tailgate open into someones car rather than sit there waiting for the culprit to return.

A lot of able bodied people seem to think we dont matter or just dont think at all about the way they treat disabled people, a little consideration would go a long way.

At my local Asda I regularly see taxi drivers (the worst offenders) and Police parking in disabled bays or blocking access to disabled bays jsut so they can get to a cashpoint.  One of these days I'm gonna go militant on them and block them in with my car and leave it there, especially the taxi drivers - hitting their earnings might make them think a bit more next time.

Even those who say they only do it late at night - why is that justification?  Most wheelchair users I know prefer to do their shopping late at night as its quieter.  How can anyone know when a disabled person is likely to turn up and need to park?

We don't particularly want larger parking spaces or for them to be closer to the shop, its a question of need, not want.  When I'm getting in and out of my car I need access to the drivers door and the tailgate.  If either of those is blocked I can't go anywhere, simple as.  I didn't ask for this need and certainly don't want it, butI have it so have to jsut get on with it.

I don't necessarily agree with the blue badge system either, mainly because I know several disabled people who are genuinely disabled but canot get badges as they refuse to claim DLA.  Its scandalous that some councils refuse to issue badges to disabled people simply because they are not claiming a benefit that they dont want, but thats another story.

Finally please be careful who you harass in car parks - there are many people who are genuinely disabled but have "invisible" disabilities, particularly those with MS and various mental health problems.  They are just as in need of assistance as someone who uses a wheelchair.  It could even be argued that us wheelchair users don't necessarily need to be closer to the shop as we don't have to walk.  I've heard that one before.

Dan McIntyre
Those who say it's impossible should not interrupt those who are doing it

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 20 January 2007, 09:33:43 »

Gosh cant believe I havent seen this thread before!!

As a disabled driver myself (wheelchair user) it also narks me off seeing these things get abused.

I have stickers in my rear window asking people to leave me space to get my wheelchair in and out yet people choose to ignore them.  One of these days I'm going to just let the tailgate open into someones car rather than sit there waiting for the culprit to return.

A lot of able bodied people seem to think we dont matter or just dont think at all about the way they treat disabled people, a little consideration would go a long way.

At my local Asda I regularly see taxi drivers (the worst offenders) and Police parking in disabled bays or blocking access to disabled bays jsut so they can get to a cashpoint.  One of these days I'm gonna go militant on them and block them in with my car and leave it there, especially the taxi drivers - hitting their earnings might make them think a bit more next time.

Even those who say they only do it late at night - why is that justification?  Most wheelchair users I know prefer to do their shopping late at night as its quieter.  How can anyone know when a disabled person is likely to turn up and need to park?

We don't particularly want larger parking spaces or for them to be closer to the shop, its a question of need, not want.  When I'm getting in and out of my car I need access to the drivers door and the tailgate.  If either of those is blocked I can't go anywhere, simple as.  I didn't ask for this need and certainly don't want it, butI have it so have to jsut get on with it.

I don't necessarily agree with the blue badge system either, mainly because I know several disabled people who are genuinely disabled but canot get badges as they refuse to claim DLA.  Its scandalous that some councils refuse to issue badges to disabled people simply because they are not claiming a benefit that they dont want, but thats another story.

Finally please be careful who you harass in car parks - there are many people who are genuinely disabled but have "invisible" disabilities, particularly those with MS and various mental health problems.  They are just as in need of assistance as someone who uses a wheelchair.  It could even be argued that us wheelchair users don't necessarily need to be closer to the shop as we don't have to walk.  I've heard that one before.

I agree with most of your post, and as said, I won't use these spaces unless there is no other supermarket/work parking (on places round here likely to get so busy that no other choice).

However, the 'invisible' disabilities, which I agree with, do not account for some of the orange badge abuse I see - perfectly abled people, not requiring help, using these orange badges to get free parking near the shops.  I suspect a lot of people borrow badges/cars from disabled family members etc.
Grumpy old man
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.044 seconds with 21 queries.