Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Condition of forum members Front Shockers.  (Read 1334 times)

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
  • What is going to break next?
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
Condition of forum members Front Shockers.
« on: 10 January 2011, 20:17:15 »

Both of my two Omegas front shockers have seen better days, however whilst it is easy enough to replace the rears (which have also seen better days!), I am put off from doing the fronts as there is no way I could get the car "WIM'ed" here in Spain ANd I can live with it..

I wonder how many other forum members soldier on with less than perfect front ends because of the difficulty factors of a) doing the job and b) setting it up if need be afterwards.?

The biggest joke on mankind is that computers have started asking humans to prove that they aren’t a robot.

Debs.

Re: Condition of forum members Front Shockers.
« Reply #1 on: 10 January 2011, 20:26:58 »

::) Erm....."Shocking!?!?" :P

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 10 January 2011, 21:18:58 »

Nah, replaced about 2 years ago.

Omegatoy

• Omega Baron
  • UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 10 January 2011, 21:34:40 »

Both of my two Omegas front shockers have seen better days, however whilst it is easy enough to replace the rears (which have also seen better days!), I am put off from doing the fronts as there is no way I could get the car "WIM'ed" here in Spain ANd I can live with it..

I wonder how many other forum members soldier on with less than perfect front ends because of the difficulty factors of a) doing the job and b) setting it up if need be afterwards.?

front struts are easy mate, and getting them back onto the exact settings you had before is pretty easy to, did mine today!!! :y you are not disturbing tracking or anything else except the camber angle and thats easy to measure with a spirit level and a ruler,  if you need a hand give me a shout

feeutfo

« Reply #4 on: 10 January 2011, 22:13:10 »

Adjusting camber will alter the toe setting, the two go hand in hand to an extent, and is why Wim will set caster, camber and then toe in that order, which makes setting the camber correctly after diy work doubly important.

....but it is easy enough to sort out diy, I find this method very accurate....  http://www.omegaowners.com/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1283955011
....wim could not improve on this but the settings where accurate prior to, as Wim set it themselves first time round.

Olympia5776

• Omega Baron
  • Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 10 January 2011, 22:59:40 »

I did mine over two years ago when rebuilding the front suspension with new struts , wishbones ,idler + droplinks .
Contacted WIM who kindly gave me the preferred camber angle and got my local ( trusted ) tyre depot to set up the alignment on all four wheels  using the figure supplied .
Never had a problem with it.

henryd

• Omega Lord
  • west cornwall
  • VW Touareg R5 tdi Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 11 January 2011, 10:38:27 »

front struts are easy mate, and getting them back onto the exact settings you had before is pretty easy to, did mine today!!! :y you are not disturbing tracking or anything else except the camber angle and thats easy to measure with a spirit level and a ruler,  if you need a hand give me a shout

surely if the complete suspension leg with hub is removed from the vehicle the camber settings remain unaffected as its only the bottom balljoint that gets undone
other rides 
  mk3 Volvo v70 2.0 Diesel ,Citroen C2, Pug 306 cabriolet
  Sterling elite trekker pikey wagon

Jimbob

• Global Moderator
  • Chester / Flintshire
  • I like traffic lights, but only when they're green
    • E250 Est / Golf GTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 11 January 2011, 10:40:40 »

I have one original (and leaking) and one replaced and different front shock on mine.

Will be replacing soon, and then doing geometry

Also about to replace replace both rear as one is leaking.

feeutfo

« Reply #8 on: 11 January 2011, 15:23:34 »

surely if the complete suspension leg with hub is removed from the vehicle the camber settings remain unaffected as its only the bottom balljoint that gets undone
If just changing springs then yes, think you right.

henryd

• Omega Lord
  • west cornwall
  • VW Touareg R5 tdi Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 11 January 2011, 16:28:47 »

Yes it would work for springs only,shame the shocks aren't replaceable inserts
other rides 

feeutfo

« Reply #10 on: 11 January 2011, 16:51:17 »

Streering knuckle/bottom ball joint can be pita to fit though  :-/

henryd

• Omega Lord
  • west cornwall
  • VW Touareg R5 tdi Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 11 January 2011, 17:29:54 »

so can finding someone down here who can set it up again properly >:(
other rides 

Bent valve

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 11 January 2011, 17:59:20 »

When I changed my front shocks, I placed a straight edge against the hub face and measured from that as high up the strut as I could, (just under the spring cup, from memory it was 165mm ) before I removed the old struts, and then set the camber to the same measure afterwards, and 10,000 miles later all is well :y

feeutfo

« Reply #13 on: 12 January 2011, 14:28:00 »

so can finding someone down here who can set it up again properly >:(
Looking at Wim/blackboots web site, I see your point. Bit thin on the ground down your way.  :-/

List of approved set up affiliates here
http://www.blackboots.co.uk/tyre-fitting-centres.php
« Last Edit: 12 January 2011, 14:30:33 by chrisgixer »
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.028 seconds with 18 queries.