Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: 3.5 weeks into TBE's LPG  (Read 3956 times)

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
Re: 3.5 weeks into TBE's LPG
« Reply #45 on: 04 May 2011, 18:10:49 »

I guess what I was trying to say in original post is that the current v6 kit from Lazydocker's supplier, with a 4 hole tank, is the best LPG I've driven to date in an Omega.

If you are considering DIY LPG'ing your V6 Omega, this is the ECU/Injector/Evap/tank option I would recommend.  Well worth it, IMHO, and I reckon payback for the kit costs will be in the region of 7000 miles for me, but I'm sure I'll share running costs with everyone soon :y
Grumpy old man

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: 04 May 2011, 18:11:42 »

Soldering all those connections just seemed to take forever by the time the right wires were found in the garage, soldered, and heatshrunk.  What I envisaged would take an hour at most took several times that  :-[

Like I say, if it's done in advance I think it's probably the way forwards ;) It's something which could easily be done while sat in front of the telly in preparation for the installation... I might even go down that route myself if I do another conversion :y

The real head scratcher was the common ground feed though... That did cause a little concern for a while until we realised what was going on ::) ;D
But you need to mount ECU first, and start fitting the loom to get the length right. But I agree, once you have measured length, then do it on a proper desk (which would have made life easier/quicker.

That common really confused me, still does to an extent, as AC have made a heck of an assumption :o

We did with yours... Any future ones we know to add in about 28" of loom in total if mounting the ECU in the same place ;) ;)
I dont think it was that much was it :o

Do you know what... I started with 18" and kept changing my mind :D :D
I reckon that was nearer ;)
Grumpy old man

Lazydocker

• Omega Queen
  • Woodbridge, Suffolk
  • Constantly Bullied by a certain Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: 04 May 2011, 18:12:50 »

I guess what I was trying to say in original post is that the current v6 kit from Lazydocker's supplier, with a 4 hole tank, is the best LPG I've driven to date in an Omega.

If you are considering DIY LPG'ing your V6 Omega, this is the ECU/Injector/Evap/tank option I would recommend.  Well worth it, IMHO, and I reckon payback for the kit costs will be in the region of 7000 miles for me, but I'm sure I'll share running costs with everyone soon :y

I'm inclined to agree with you :y

And, interestingly, 7000 miles is around what I calculated the payback to be on mine when I fitted it 21/2 years ago :y
« Last Edit: 04 May 2011, 18:13:13 by Lazydocker »
Whatever it is... I didn't do it

hotel21

• Administrator
  • The Kingdom of Fife
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: 04 May 2011, 18:13:57 »

Soldering all those connections just seemed to take forever by the time the right wires were found in the garage, soldered, and heatshrunk.  What I envisaged would take an hour at most took several times that  :-[

Like I say, if it's done in advance I think it's probably the way forwards ;) It's something which could easily be done while sat in front of the telly in preparation for the installation... I might even go down that route myself if I do another conversion :y

The real head scratcher was the common ground feed though... That did cause a little concern for a while until we realised what was going on ::) ;D
But you need to mount ECU first, and start fitting the loom to get the length right. But I agree, once you have measured length, then do it on a proper desk (which would have made life easier/quicker.

That common really confused me, still does to an extent, as AC have made a heck of an assumption :o

We did with yours... Any future ones we know to add in about 28" of loom in total if mounting the ECU in the same place ;) ;)

I like the 'neat and tidy' sound of this.

Thoughts on the worth of aquiring relevant chunks of suitable loom from scrapper bound breakers from on here?  And other suitable bits and bobs, such as manifolds, assorted brackets etc?  Possible list in the making??   :-/

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: 04 May 2011, 18:14:58 »

I'm inclined to agree with you :y

And, interestingly, 7000 miles is around what I calculated the payback to be on mine when I fitted it 21/2 years ago :y
The MV6 worked out about 6000miles, kit was same-ish price, I secretly hope TBE will be 6k, but was being cautious...
Grumpy old man

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: 04 May 2011, 18:17:33 »

Thoughts on the worth of aquiring relevant chunks of suitable loom from scrapper bound breakers from on here?  And other suitable bits and bobs, such as manifolds, assorted brackets etc?  Possible list in the making??   :-/
My bit of loom was supplied by EP, but you'll need even those bits extending due to still nit quite being long enough.

Kevin Wood was some 2.5 and 3.0 manifolds, believe they are same as 2.6/3.2
Grumpy old man

Lazydocker

• Omega Queen
  • Woodbridge, Suffolk
  • Constantly Bullied by a certain Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: 04 May 2011, 18:21:11 »

As TB says, Kevin already has a selection of manifolds, the 3.0 and 3.2 are certainly the same, and you just swap your injectors onto it :y

Loom wise... If whoever cuts them off could get 12" either side it would be ideal but I don't think there's quite enough slack :-/
Whatever it is... I didn't do it

hotel21

• Administrator
  • The Kingdom of Fife
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: 04 May 2011, 18:28:33 »

As TB says, Kevin already has a selection of manifolds, the 3.0 and 3.2 are certainly the same, and you just swap your injectors onto it :y

Loom wise... If whoever cuts them off could get 12" either side it would be ideal but I don't think there's quite enough slack :-/

Given that the doner car would be getting weiged in anyway, is it possible to root out backwards up the loom, either side of where the spur loom thats required, joins in?  Thinking slaughtering the sheath on the main loom.

*caveat*  Not looked to see whats weere in the loom, just making wild guesses, sight unseen...  :y

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: 04 May 2011, 18:52:06 »

Given that the doner car would be getting weiged in anyway, is it possible to root out backwards up the loom, either side of where the spur loom thats required, joins in?  Thinking slaughtering the sheath on the main loom.

*caveat*  Not looked to see whats weere in the loom, just making wild guesses, sight unseen...  :y
The side that would sit in the inlet manifold certainly wouldn;t be longer enough...
Grumpy old man

VXL V6

• Omega Lord
  • Solihull
    • 530D M Sport, Elite 3.2
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: 04 May 2011, 19:25:51 »

I have a plan for tidying mine up when the cambelt is due (in 5k). It involves a multi-way plug on the front of the injector loom under the plenum so the LPG loom can just be unplugged and moved aside.
Kevin
May as well do as I have, if you're soldering wires anyway...

How did you do it, then? I read it that you reverted to cramming the piggy-back connectors in?
Nope... He took all day putting the VX Loom Plugs onto the LPG Loom (and extending it) :-X ::) ;D

I should add... It's neat and tidy and has real potential, but needs doing in advance, not during the installation for it to be a viable option IMO :y

No problem here using the piggy back plugs

Agreed... No problem with the Piggy Back Connectors at all! But the way we did TBE does make it really tidy :y :y

As we have all junked our power sounders (I hope!) is there not enough space for the ECU in there?

Next location I could think of would be inside the car above the pedal box but I guesd you'd have to make a large hole through the bulkhead to get the connector through or cut the connector and push the loom through and solder it back on.....

albitz

« Reply #55 on: 04 May 2011, 19:34:28 »

My ECU now lives under the airbox, just sat on top of the chassis rail. Far from ideal but better than where it was before.
I hope at some point to take the lot off and install it in a nice tidy fashion. Should have had a look at some othersat the Essex meet, to steal some ideas, but didnt think about it at the time. ::)
And H21 has just given me the idea of keeping some engine bay wiring loom from Blackie the breaker for project lpg tidy up. :)
« Last Edit: 04 May 2011, 23:51:38 by albitz »

feeutfo

« Reply #56 on: 04 May 2011, 23:30:36 »

I have a plan for tidying mine up when the cambelt is due (in 5k). It involves a multi-way plug on the front of the injector loom under the plenum so the LPG loom can just be unplugged and moved aside.
Kevin
May as well do as I have, if you're soldering wires anyway...

How did you do it, then? I read it that you reverted to cramming the piggy-back connectors in?
Nope... He took all day putting the VX Loom Plugs onto the LPG Loom (and extending it) :-X ::) ;D

I should add... It's neat and tidy and has real potential, but needs doing in advance, not during the installation for it to be a viable option IMO :y

No problem here using the piggy back plugs

Agreed... No problem with the Piggy Back Connectors at all! But the way we did TBE does make it really tidy :y :y

As we have all junked our power sounders (I hope!) is there not enough space for the ECU in there?

Next location I could think of would be inside the car above the pedal box but I guesd you'd have to make a large hole through the bulkhead to get the connector through or cut the connector and push the loom through and solder it back on.....
Hmmm, strokes chin and ponders...

Think I looked at other locations and concluded, given my pathetic electrics skills, that the front wing was best given the lengths of various loom wires, reaching the battery, fitting the large connector plug through various holes etc etc. But that's not say wires couldn't be extended of course, not that I'd bother me arse with all that.Christ he took for ever rather about with that loom. ::);D

Anyway, can't remember if I looked at the power sounder side of scuttle, but it would mean all the injector wiring could go in the back of the plenum, rather than the front under throttle body like I did on my old car last time....   And what's the maximum length of hose allowed from injector block to manifold nozels?....  Although hbv might spray everything with coolant.... Nah, ignore me....   Hmmm...strokes chin and ponders

aaronjb

« Reply #57 on: 04 May 2011, 23:35:01 »

Surely you'd just sub the loom building out to your regular loom builder, Chris? (Unless he's stopped talking to you after the telematics loom) ;D

feeutfo

« Reply #58 on: 04 May 2011, 23:44:45 »

Surely you'd just sub the loom building out to your regular loom builder, Chris? (Unless he's stopped talking to you after the telematics loom) ;D
Think I might have over stayed my welcome there. :-/   ;D

aaronjb

« Reply #59 on: 04 May 2011, 23:50:19 »

Think I might have over stayed my welcome there. :-/   ;D
;D ;D ;D Anyway, back to your serious questions ;)
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Up

Page created in 0.03 seconds with 21 queries.