Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Mounting a fire extinguisher  (Read 4996 times)

cruisetopoland

• Omega Knight
  • UK
    • View Profile
Mounting a fire extinguisher
« on: 13 November 2009, 15:29:36 »

I need to mount a 1kg ABC powder (mourning the sad loss of the best Halon 1211 types  >:( >:() fire extinguisher in a facelift Omega cabin if poss.

I usually mount these on the floor of the passenger footwell, screwed into the cross member, but there is not enough clearance for the seat adjuster bar, so must go elsewhere.

Apart from chucking in the first aid compartment, anyone got any ideas for a neat, easy to reach, discreet mounting solution?

(Extinguisher is brand new, tidy and in date-code; was told they are spot checked if unlucky abroad).

Help appreciated  :y

Jimbob

• Global Moderator
  • Chester / Flintshire
  • I like traffic lights, but only when they're green
    • E250 Est / Golf GTI
    • View Profile
Re: Mounting a fire extinguisher
« Reply #1 on: 13 November 2009, 17:07:31 »

Why?

If no very good reason, dont.

IF your car catches fire, burns a bit and you put it out...

Insurance will try and say bad maintainance etc caused it, to avoid paying out.

If it burns fully, they have to pay out.

I have always been advised to let the car burn, as hard as that may be.

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 13 November 2009, 17:25:42 »

I would add the obvious point that, if you're going to mount a fire extinguisher in the passenger compartment, make sure it is not liable to become a missile in the event of an accident.

I'm inclined to think that, in a standard production car used on the road, a fire is a rare eventuality, and your best course of action in such an event would probably be to get yourself to safety and not be distracted by a fire extinguisher, TBH.

If it's safe enough to try to save the car, it'll be safe to get an extinguisher out of the boot, IMHO.

Kevin
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

joshwyatt

• Omega Baron
  • Oxford
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 13 November 2009, 17:33:16 »

I agree completely with Kevin...
I have one in the boot, the police put theirs in the boot of the saloon, so I do the same. Mounting in the cabin I've never thought to be a good idea. If in the unfortunate event that the vehicle rolls, you have a heavy object flying around the insdide of the vehicle, even if it does appear to be fixed securely. Minibuses have them mounted internally, but they are factory fitted or by a specalist conversion company.
Personally, I'd say just put it in the boot and make sure it is secure enough.

Welung666

« Reply #4 on: 13 November 2009, 17:49:51 »

European rules... They have to be within reach of the driver at all times. Hefty € fine otherwise. Same with bulb kit/warning triangle/first aid kit/ high viz jacket in the boot.

LFF64

• Omega Knight
  • HADDENHAM BUCKS
    • 64 insignia CT Nav 4x4
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 13 November 2009, 17:50:51 »

I have a 1kg Powder type mounted in the boot of mine
 Its mounted laying down screwed to the plastic trim along the edge of the boot opening its actually faily out of the way there but also farily accesable if need
This size of extinguisher will only give about 15 seconds of use if used in one burst
 It may be enough to help you or maybe someone else .
 I was advised by the extinguisher service engineer it is best to store this type of ex on its side to prevent the powder settling/compacting   . I also have mine serviced by them once a year .  A perk of being the fire Marshall at work  :y

Welung666

« Reply #6 on: 13 November 2009, 17:52:53 »

I have a 1kg Powder type mounted in the boot of mine
 Its mounted laying down screwed to the plastic trim along the edge of the boot opening its actually faily out of the way there but also farily accesable if need
This size of extinguisher will only give about 15 seconds of use if used in one burst
 It may be enough to help you or maybe someone else .
 I was advised by the extinguisher service engineer it is best to store this type of ex on its side to prevent the powder settling/compacting   . I also have mine serviced by them once a year .  A perk of being the fire Marshall at work  :y

Ditto ;) Got a 5kg dry powder and a 10 litre liquid chemical in the garage at home ;D

rob in gib

• Plymouth
    • Jaguar S type 3.0
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 13 November 2009, 17:59:42 »

according to the RAC a fire extinguisher is not a legal requirement but advised however the hi viz jacket must be within reach off the driver not in the boot

which country are you traveling to and through ?

Just chilling in the sun. I wish back in the rain like everybody else

feeutfo

« Reply #8 on: 13 November 2009, 18:29:30 »

European rules?

Rant on.
Ffs. Some bell end in brussells decides he or she knows better than any other car maker in the world and comes up with this crap. Are new cars being fitted with fire extinguishers? Are we in the uk taking part? Do we know what country is taking part or not? Are those with kids exempt in case they get inquisitive and set the thing off in their face? What happens if it goes off while driving and fills the car with dust etc. How many car fires do we actually have these days! And of those how many make any odds at all if the owner has a fire extinguisher or not. If my Mrs is driving and the car catches fire the last thing i expect to happen is for her to put the fire out with it. What utter 'dangle berries'! Probably wouldnt bother myself!
Rant off!

Is this the result of the tunnel fire or just made up for the laugh?

Noting the date today I'LL not tempt fate any further until i get home. But should be fine as its pessing down.

Welung666

« Reply #9 on: 13 November 2009, 18:30:26 »

He travels to northern Poland, so France, Belgium, Germany and Poland at a guess.

Welung666

« Reply #10 on: 13 November 2009, 18:32:06 »

European rules?

Rant on.
Ffs. Some bell end in brussells decides he or she knows better than any other car maker in the world and comes up with this crap. Are new cars being fitted with fire extinguishers? Are we in the uk taking part? Do we know what country is taking part or not? Are those with kids exempt in case they get inquisitive and set the thing off in their face? What happens if it goes off while driving and fills the car with dust etc. How many car fires do we actually have these days! And of those how many make any odds at all if the owner has a fire extinguisher or not. If my Mrs is driving and the car catches fire the last thing i expect to happen is for her to put the fire out with it. What utter 'dangle berries'! Probably wouldnt bother myself!
Rant off!

Noting the date today I'LL not tempt fate any further until i get home. But should be fine as its pessing down.

This was in when I was still on continentals so easily longer than 8 years, I think the straw fire made them enforce it more stringently though.

rob in gib

• Plymouth
    • Jaguar S type 3.0
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 13 November 2009, 18:45:56 »

He travels to northern Poland, so France, Belgium, Germany and Poland at a guess.

Then Belgium is the only country that requires an extinguisher but does not require it to be in the cabin area so mount it in the boot
Just chilling in the sun. I wish back in the rain like everybody else

cruisetopoland

• Omega Knight
  • UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 13 November 2009, 20:29:15 »

WOW!

Great response, everyone-very useful!

Agree about not wanting to be missile, would prefer in boot.
Agree re insurance (!!), have used extinguishers on other peoples cars a few times-once when woman was trapped...
Used to sell firefighting eqpt, ABC do compact if upright, Halon 1211s were 500x better before being outlawed for CFCs, FFS!  They get through rad grille 20x better than daft powder....

Will read all comments again and fit this weekend, needs to be legal for all of EU, next trip is Holland, Belgium, Germany, Poland next month.

CHEERS ALL  :y :y :y

Omegadoha, Desert Member

• Omega Knight
  • Doha, Qatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 14 November 2009, 08:10:47 »

I have mine mounted at the side of the passenger footwell, centre console side. It wouldn't go under the seat. But in the footwell there is enough room for the passenger.

Ken T

• Omega Baron
  • Stockport
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 14 November 2009, 09:10:31 »

European rules?

Rant on.
Rant off!

Very rare, yes however there was a volvo 4*4 thingy, a modern one alight on the M606 last week. The fire brigade were busy at work, but there was something underneath glowing red hot.

How much use would one of these small extinguishers be anyway . If there is 65L of petrol about to combust, I don't want to be anywhere near it.  :o

Ken
I used to be indecisive; now I'm not so sure...
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 18 queries.