Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Help Devastated  (Read 818 times)

LLCUK

• View Profile
Help Devastated
« on: 23 November 2007, 13:51:52 »

Hi All,

Yesterday I bought my dad a 1998 Omega CDX V6, whilst following my dad home the car filled up with what appeared to be smoke/steam.  
When my dad managed to pullover he said that he heard a pop and then the car filled up with the smoke/steam and then his feet felt hot and wet.  
when we opened her up there was brown goo oozing out of the water tank.  we called out the RAC they took one look at it and said that if there is oil in the water tank then the head gasket has gone.  Is it worth trying to repair or should i just cut my losses and get rid..
« Last Edit: 23 November 2007, 14:13:04 by Mark »

Jimbob

• Global Moderator
  • Chester / Flintshire
  • I like traffic lights, but only when they're green
    • E250 Est / Golf GTI
    • View Profile
Re: Help Devastated
« Reply #1 on: 23 November 2007, 13:54:16 »

Sounds more like the oil cooler
not to bad a job, there is a guide in the maint section.
unlikely to be head gasket

either way, sounds like you've been had, any warranty?
« Last Edit: 23 November 2007, 14:15:33 by Mark »

Jimbob

• Global Moderator
  • Chester / Flintshire
    • E250 Est / Golf GTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 23 November 2007, 13:56:56 »

Feet hot and wet doesnt sound good either, thats the heater matrix possibly leaking as well

jobs are going to be at least oil cooler
flush with bio degreaser
then a few antifreeze flushes

then take it from there, parts for above about £150

Sure someone more expert will be able to advise further

« Last Edit: 23 November 2007, 14:15:48 by Mark »

LLCUK

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 23 November 2007, 14:01:27 »

No Warranty.. I've already had it out with the seller and he does not give a damn...I think he knew that it had problems.. I just don't want to make the another mistake and get rid of it if it can be fixed for a reasonable price..

Thanks for replying
« Last Edit: 23 November 2007, 14:16:05 by Mark »

Jimbob

• Global Moderator
  • Chester / Flintshire
    • E250 Est / Golf GTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 23 November 2007, 14:04:01 »

sounds like it had happened before, he has flushed the coolant and hoped it would last till it sold

Sorry for the bad luck, but doesn't sound terminal to me.

With that sort of seller, think you also need to budget for a good service, new filters everywhere, probably cambelt as well, doesnt sound like you can trust it till you know they have all been done right.
« Last Edit: 23 November 2007, 14:16:24 by Mark »

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 23 November 2007, 14:10:51 »

Here is a reply I posted earlier this week.

Its a no brainer....oil cooler.

Consider this (and then you will be able to question any garage who says other wise)

On a head gasket there are

1) Lots of pressurised coolant ways
2) Lots of oil return ways, these are LESS than atmospheric pressure due to the engine breather system.
3) One small high pressure oil feed which is quite some distance from any of the other bits.

Then consider how a headgasket fails....its often due to the composite material failing (due to in-correct anti freeze mix generaly) which results in the main fire rings losing support and being pushed outwards, around the fire rings are water passages and the result is a pressurised coolant system and water in the cylidners.

Its pretty much impossible for the high pressure oil feed to fail into a water way....and if the gasket failed between the coolant and the oil return ways then you would get water in the oil... (remember that the coolant pressure is much higher than the crank case).

The symptoms you have do NOT fit the above.

In the case of an oil cooler failure you need to remember the following:

The oil is high pressure in the cooler as it is after the oil pump and filter. It sits in a bath of coolan which is also pressurised under normal conditions. The oil pressure is higher than the coolant pressure so with the engine running you get oil mixing with the water, this get stirred up and creates a mayonnaise...

So, how do you get SOME water in the oil.....elementary.....after turning the engine off, the oil pressure drops but, the coolant remains pressurised so some coolant now gets into the oil....not much mind but some.

Hope that helps...

As a guide, oil cooler is about 80-90 quid plus about 40 ish of extras (oil, filter, antifreeze, seals) and takes about 3 hours plus a coolant system flush.
« Last Edit: 23 November 2007, 14:16:42 by Mark »

mkaminski100

• Basingstoke
    • View Profile
Re: Help Devasted
« Reply #6 on: 23 November 2007, 14:17:02 »

Heh. You have bought a car and had a problem the same day? Coincidence? Wasn’t it a "magic fluid" which will seal the engine for a while? So many people bought a car which had the same thing. Problem with cooling system/autobox/engine...? Add leakage stopper/new oil... and sell a car (Market price, mint condition)...  I would kill those people. That’s why, sometimes, it’s better to buy broken car because at least you can pay peanuts for it and you know that the seller is honest. Don’t worry, I bought a similar car...but don’t know if I should sell it now or leave it and make it my piggy bank.

ffcgary1

• Omega Baron
  • Mitcham,Surrey.
  • I really must get my eyes seen to.
    • Omega Estate/ jaguar XJ6
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 23 November 2007, 15:55:38 »

Head gaskets rarely fail on the v6 so listen to mark dtm, deffo an oil cooler. they fail due to lack of services and incorrect anti freeze levels. :(
Elite leather, cruise control, 3.0ltr cams, gas flowed 3.0ltr inlet manifold, 4 bar fuel pressure regulator, rear side window demisters, rear electric windows. projectors /HID'S, h/l washers.
Jaguar XJ6

Markie

• Omega Lord
  • Lanarkshire, Scotland
    • RS4, BMW X5, Range Rover
    • View Profile
    • http://www.facebook.com/pages/Markiescarparts/149306545168993
« Reply #8 on: 23 November 2007, 19:30:19 »

Head gaskets rarely fail on the v6 so listen to mark dtm, deffo an oil cooler. they fail due to lack of services and incorrect anti freeze levels. :(

Without a doubt....heads will be fine and oil cooler will be shot - not a bad job.
MarkiesCarParts-Online Now With A New 4000FT Partswarehouse; Stocking Thousands of Vauxhall,Peugeot, Citroen, Renault & Rover NEW Parts - Check us on Ebay MarkiesCarParts-Online. PM me via OOF for discount

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 23 November 2007, 21:58:52 »

I agree, more likely oil cooler. About £90 for cooler, and another £40 ish for the other bits you need.
Grumpy old man
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.021 seconds with 22 queries.