Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Replacement of Rear Wheel Bearing 2002 3.2 Estate  (Read 724 times)

fadgeboy

• N.ireland
    • View Profile
Replacement of Rear Wheel Bearing 2002 3.2 Estate
« on: 04 August 2009, 20:40:30 »

Hello
Can anyone please help with a step by step guide to [size=14][/size]the removal and replacement  of a rear wheel bearing on a 3.2 Estate Elite. Are there any special considerations ie. (removal of suspension arm etc.).
Thanks
JB

Big_Roger

• Intermediate Member
  • Southampton
    • View Profile
Re: Replacement of Rear Wheel Bearing 2002 3.2 Estate
« Reply #1 on: 05 August 2009, 00:18:46 »

Hi,
I started this very job on the near side rear wheel on my car this morning.
In preparation I bought the replacement bearing kit (Bearing, Large circlip, nut lock washer) from Europarts £47.00 and hired a slide hammer hub puller from a local hire shop, £12.00 for a week.

To make it easier I put the rear of car up on ramps, slacken the wheel fixing bolts first. Chock the front wheels because you need it in neutral and hand brake off.
I then jacked up under the suspension arm and then put axle stand to hold up under the suspension arm. Remove jack and ramp.

Then put the now redundant ramp and big wood blocks under the jack point just in case. You need the whole thing very secure you have come very tight bolts to undo.

Remove the wheel, undo the two bolts holding the brake caliper, slide it back carefully off the disc and tie it up out of the way.

Remove the single allen head bolt holding the brake drum/disc and pull off the disc. Mine just came off easily, probably because the handbrake shoes had never (I don't think) ever been adjusted out, so didn't catch on the wear ridge indide the drum.

You now have to undo the large allen head bolts holding the drive shaft flange to the back of the hub/bearing unit and also tie this up out of the way.
You could probably do it with an allen key, but I have an M8 allen half inch square driver. These bolts are very tight, and to hold the hub I made up a piece of stout angle iron 18 ins long, with a couplle of holes to bolt to the hub with a couple of wheel bolts.

Once you have the rear drive flange out of the way you can see the big nut that holds the inside drive flange to the hub unit. Before you can undo this nut  you have to remove what I can only describe as an inverted "e" locking washer. It is fitted over the hex of the nut, and two ears are dug into the flange. When you see the new one in the bearing kit it's easy to see how it works.

You also need the bit of anle iron idea to hold the hub from turnig while you undo this flange nut. It is very very tight goodness knows what torque it is tightened up to, but I stuggled. Finally it gave with an 18 inch piece of pipe over the wrench handle. I was glad I had faffed about so much making sure the whole car was secure before I started.

I then secured the slide hammer puller to the hub, and with only about six good whacks the hub came out of the bearing bringing the outer side of the inner part of the bearing with it. 

I have managed to remove this bearing inner from the hub shaft using a bearing separator plate bolted to clamp in the bearing groove and a two legged puller.
I wasn't very tight. There is then the big circlip to remove, I struggled with this as my circlip pliers are not really man enough for this size, but I got it out, cleaned away all rust, sprayed with release oil ready to pull the bearing out of the suspension arm.

This is where I am up to at the moment.

This evening, I have been searching through all my years of junk of various special tools made up for pulling in or out bushes/ bearings on various cars and put together a couple of big washers, some three quater inch studding and suitable tube, with which I hope to pull out the old bearing from the suspension arm in the morning, and also pull in the new bearing

I'll let you know how I get on tomorrow.

Roger

Be patient ! Something else will go wrong for you to fix if you wait long enough !!

Big_Roger

• Intermediate Member
  • Southampton
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 10 August 2009, 01:12:06 »

Ok, Now for the second instalment.

Nice and bright in the morning, I rigged up the piece of tube, socket and washer and studding through the bearing etc, and started pulling.

Absolutely zilch. I put on so much weight that the piece of tube that the bearing was supposed to pull into, began to crumple like a concertina, and considering it was quater inch thick wall, I was astounded.

Plan B
Although retired 6 years now, I used to work in engineering and plant repair, so I went to the dear old firm to seek a few favours, fortunately there were still a few blokes left that I worked with, and they turned me a mandrel out of 3" round bar stock to replace the piece of tube. A nice neat fit around the outside dia of the bearing, as the bearing housing only has a land of about 5 mm.

I set to again with this never fail bit of gear. I dread to think what torque I put on, but still no move, the studding just started to stretch, and this was a piece of 3/4" HTsteel studding.

Plan C
Back to see the old firm again. No one could believe a bearing could be so tight.
I came away with 4 pieces of 100x50 mm x 15 ins long heavy gauge channel iron, 2 of 26mm dia HT 500mm long HT cylinder head bolts from a Sulzer marine diesel engine, and the 50mm AF spanner to fit the nuts.

The idea was to put two pieces of channel 100 mm sides back to back on each side of the bearing like strongbacks,bolted together with 10 mm bolts, with the studs sandwiched between them, just apart enough to straddle the brake back plate. this arrangement with a spacer of a large socket pushing on the inner of the bearing, and the mandrel on the outside for the bearing to be pushed into. This all had to be supported on a plank of wood and blocks, because it was too heavy to hold and get into position.

I started putting the pressure on, expecting the bearing to capitulate in the face of such "force majeure". No such luck.

I put on so much pull that the pieces of channel started to bend. This was really serious, I could see no alternative but to take off the suspension arm, and use the 400 ton press at the old firm.
I took off all the gear, and took off the hand brake shoes and back plate and was looking at what else had to come off, and where I was going to have to put axle stands and jacks to take off the suspension arm.

I then had an "on the road to Damascus" moment!!
I could now move the studs much closer together, just either side of the bearing housing, instead of straddling the backplate. Surely the pieces of channel couldnt bend over that short distance, could they??

I rigged up all this gear again, there was now only about 5" between the studding. I put the pull on, I got to the stage where I couldnt tighten any more on the 18" long ring spanner.
I resorted to 36" Stillsons, with a 6ft scaffold pole on them.
I was pressing about a foot from the end, and as I go just over 20 stone I make that about 1400 lbs/ft on the studs, and still no go.

I was so "hissed off" I left it and went in for a cup of tea.
I had been indoors about 10 mins, when there was a terrific bang like a cannon. I dashed outside thinking the car had collapsed off the axle stand or something, several neighbours had also come out thinking there had been a gun shot.
The pulling gear had fallen down all loose, and the bearing had come out of the housing about 1/2 inch. I could hardly believe it.

I put all the gear back on and although not easy, the bearing pulled out. It had been fretting in the housing and was all brown and rusted around the outside.

I cleaned up the housing, it was pitted in places. I was concerned in case the housing had cracked under the pulling pressure, so I decided to crack test it.
So once more back to the old firm for the crack test gear.

This was no super ultrasonic gear. Just quick dry white paint, some solution which is iron dust in a light oil carrier, and some big horse shoe magnets. You paint where wou wish to check and when dry paint on some of the iron solution, and then put the best size magnet around on the housing, any crack will attract the iron dust to form a line. I couldn't detect any cracks.

I was unhappy with the pitting in the housing, and that this may make the bearing not a tight enough fit, so I decided to use some Locktite bearing fit on assembly in case.(I don't expect to have to try and remove it !!"

The assembly is using the same sort of ideas to pull the new  bearing back in. To pull the hub back into the bearing, you need a piece of tube up against the bearing inner centre ring that the splined shaft can be pulled into, or you will just push the bearing inner ring out of the new bearing if you just try tapping in the hub shaft assembly.

When you put the inner drive flange back, you need to try several positions. I found one position where I could push it almost completely back on the hub splines, probably its original position.

I don't know the correct torque for the hub holding nut, and I don't have a torque wrench that goes up to what it probably is, so I just did it as tight as I could with same extension on wrench as I had to undo it.   

You also need a piece of light gauge tube that just fits over the hexagon of the fixing nut to tap in the locking ring. I expected to use the 32mm socket, but this is too big around the outside diameter to allow the lock ring to spring in. I used a piece of electrical conduit.

I wouldn't advise any one to try this job unless they have a lot of bits and pieces to make up pulling gear or back up where they can get it if needed. Normal bearing pullers will not help. I'm not even sure that the pukka Vauxhall special tools would have coped with what I had. But I don't think mine could be that common a problem. 
If you didn't have all the problems I had, you can do it without removing the suspension arm. But you need to bear in mind, it could all go pear shaped. All this took me 4 days.

HTH

Roger

Be patient ! Something else will go wrong for you to fix if you wait long enough !!

Jimbob

• Global Moderator
  • Chester / Flintshire
  • I like traffic lights, but only when they're green
    • E250 Est / Golf GTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 10 August 2009, 06:15:54 »

sounds great fun.

we resorted to dropping the arm, then slegdehammer!

did the trick  :y
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.027 seconds with 18 queries.