Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: burning audio cds from mp3  (Read 1576 times)

dbdb

• west london
  • Tramlining,Trade Club,WIM,my time racing,Linux etc
    • f/l elite 2.6 V6 manual
    • View Profile
burning audio cds from mp3
« on: 24 March 2013, 00:27:47 »

I've made some audio cds from MP3 files and they play fine in my old home stereo but the elite multi cd player comes up with 'error'. Is my elite player too old and is there a way to make the cds  compatible?

jonny2112

• Omega Baron
  • Bangor NI
    • 2.6 Elite
    • View Profile
Re: burning audio cds from mp3
« Reply #1 on: 24 March 2013, 00:49:13 »

Generally you need to use original discs  ???

dbdb

• west london
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 24 March 2013, 01:14:51 »

thanks most helpful :-*

dbug

• Omega Queen
  • Northants
  • Dont knock Linux!
    • Jaguar XJ 5.0V8 Portfolio
    • View Profile
    • Dbug IT Services
« Reply #3 on: 24 March 2013, 01:40:12 »

Burnt CDs will wreck the laser in your player ;)
1972 Ferrari Dino, 1967 Triumph TR4A, Mondeo 2.0TDCi Estate, Jaguar XJ 5.0V8 Portfolio

andymp

• Wakefield, UK
    • 2003 Omega CD 2.2 dti Est
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 24 March 2013, 01:59:15 »

It's worth trying different brands of blank disks. Premium ones such as verbatim or TDK can make a difference over budget supermarket ones.
Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity...

Jimbob

• Global Moderator
  • Chester / Flintshire
  • I like traffic lights, but only when they're green
    • E250 Est / Golf GTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 24 March 2013, 08:55:27 »

Verbatim, burned at the slowest speed your writer can support, will give you the best chance.

Burned CD's are technically very different from originals, and older players are NOT compatable with them.

Yes some will play them, and some will do so for longer than others, but they all are damaging the laser mechanism as it is forced to constantly refocus to try and read the data.  Normally terminal eventually for the player.

If your getting error now, that time may have arrived.

That said, we are assuming you have created an audio cd as stated, and not a data cd with the mp3's dumped on it, cos that will never work.

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 24 March 2013, 09:03:14 »

I've made some audio cds from MP3 files and they play fine in my old home stereo but the elite multi cd player comes up with 'error'. Is my elite player too old and is there a way to make the cds  compatible?

Many Factory fit units (even now) don't have the ability to decode and read mp3, you need to burn them in WAV format, however even using good discs and a very slow burn rate, they are still vastly different from traditional music CD's from high street.

The laser struggles to focus, although they will play it will very quickly kill the laser.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 24 March 2013, 09:44:10 »

If its the factory fit 2006 stereo, technically it's not compatible with CDRs

In reality, CDRW will NOT work at all

Good quality media, ie Verbatim, burned at slowest speed (normally 4x for the current crop) may work reasonably well, BUT will shag the laser within weeks/months, although I have got away with it for far longer ::)

Obviously, MP3 is a lossy format, so converting MP3 to CD is a bit daft, rip the tracks again from the original CD in a lossless format, then burn to CD
Grumpy old man

dbdb

• west london
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 24 March 2013, 12:25:52 »

thanks all. I still can't hep thinking I need to burn them differently, ie not more slowly or on better disks.  I already burn at the slowest speed and don't use cheap CDRs. 

For info no they are not mp3 dumped onto a disk I know thta would not work they are audio CDs that play in my standard old home cd player which is not a PC or mp3 player.

No its not a bit daft to burn mp3 to audio disk if (a) you only have the mp3 (did I mention Pirate Bay) and (b) you want to play them at good quality in a standard Elite.  I can play them as mp3s via a casette adapter and the tape unit but the quality on audio CD would be significantly better (they are good quality mp3 recordings and I could even get lossless ones if all this worked).

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 24 March 2013, 12:59:11 »

mp3 is already a compressed format, its better to re-rip and encode as audio rather than take an already compressed format then converting it back again  ::)

They need to be burned as standard audio discs, with tracks in WAV format.

It's also quite possible the laser is already mullered and cannot play anything home brew, but as pointed out above, any home burns will destroy the laser

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
  • My Old 3.2 V6 Elite (LPG)
    • Audi A6 Allroad 3.0 DTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 24 March 2013, 13:38:40 »

Unfortunately, unless you have owned the car from new, you have no idea what the previous owner(s) have done or used .... :(  If they have used cheap CDR's badly burned, they may well have already wrecked the laser to the extent that it can no longer focus sufficiently to use the discs you are trying ... :(

dbug

• Omega Queen
  • Northants
  • Dont knock Linux!
    • Jaguar XJ 5.0V8 Portfolio
    • View Profile
    • Dbug IT Services
« Reply #11 on: 24 March 2013, 17:21:01 »

As said not sensible to convert a compressed format mp3 to a wav format for audio discs - rather like blowing up a compressed graphic jpg and seeing the resultant blocking as full data not available.

If you only have pirate mp3s available, you perhaps need to think about how to obtain those tracks (obviously foc) in a totally lossless format and as suggested re rip and burn very slowly onto audio quality CDRs (look on ebay, dabs etc - they are available) for the best chance of using them in your car.

But they will over time wreck the laser in your player.  Don't take my (and other members) word for it - check with Dave DND ( a member on here) - car audio is his living.
1972 Ferrari Dino, 1967 Triumph TR4A, Mondeo 2.0TDCi Estate, Jaguar XJ 5.0V8 Portfolio

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 24 March 2013, 18:27:54 »

The quality of the CDR will make a difference to how long it will take to shag the laser. The quality of the recorder will also make a big difference. The speed of the burn will as well.

You need to minimise all these problems, but as tunnie says, the laser may already be shagged.

The lossy mp3 format, as stated, will render any gains by bypassing cassette adapter (unless its a really shit one) null and void.

But as, by your own admission, this is for using copyrighted works without buying them, locking as per forum guidelines.
Grumpy old man
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.02 seconds with 21 queries.