Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Genuine or fake?  (Read 2403 times)

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
Re: Genuine or fake?
« Reply #30 on: 14 March 2022, 10:44:31 »

I think any Rolex is assumed to be a fake these days, I treated myself to a Tudor Black bay a couple of years ago and am terrified of wearing it in case it gets scratched
If I saw that on your wrist I'd have no idea what it was. Can't say I've ever heard of that make.

I've had reasonably expensive watches in the past but hardly ever wore them and realised you get nowhere near what you paid if you want to sell them. I've got two Maurice Lacroix watches upstairs, but the butterfly clasp is a bugger for coming undone when you bend your wrist inwards.
« Last Edit: 14 March 2022, 10:47:30 by STEMO »
Diesel till I die

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 14 March 2022, 13:08:46 »

I think any Rolex is assumed to be a fake these days, I treated myself to a Tudor Black bay a couple of years ago and am terrified of wearing it in case it gets scratched

I had to google this.

Around £3000 :o :o :o :o.....Probably best just to keep it in it's presentation case. :y

henryd

• Omega Lord
  • west cornwall
  • VW Touareg R5 tdi Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 14 March 2022, 13:59:59 »

I had to google this.

Around £3000 :o :o :o :o.....Probably best just to keep it in it's presentation case. :y

Tudor and Rolex have same parent company :y
other rides 
  mk3 Volvo v70 2.0 Diesel ,Citroen C2, Pug 306 cabriolet
  Sterling elite trekker pikey wagon

redelitev6

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 15 March 2022, 09:48:31 »

I get my collectors watches from Argos  :-[

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 15 March 2022, 10:57:41 »

I've been wearing the one in the top left for the last three weeks:

In that time I've done a load of work on a friend's kitcar, changed the brakes on my sister's car, replaced a couple of damaged bell stays and made a number of parts on the lathe. The only reason for not wearing it everyday as a recovery driver was that I had swapped to one of the others. It's an Omega SMP, and would cost about £3k to replace, although it was a lot cheaper about 15 years ago.

An expensive watch doesn't tell the time better than a £10 disposable one - many clockwork ones are actually much worse -  because they are actually jewellery.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 15 March 2022, 11:13:34 »

Never been fond of Rolex though. They have the uncanny knack of making a £10,000 watch appear indistinguishable from a garish ten quid watch bought from a petrol station. :-\
Rolex are actually a non profit organisation.  Might even be a charity, I'd have to ask to confirm.
Grumpy old man

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 15 March 2022, 13:10:13 »

I've been wearing the one in the top left for the last three weeks:

In that time I've done a load of work on a friend's kitcar, changed the brakes on my sister's car, replaced a couple of damaged bell stays and made a number of parts on the lathe. The only reason for not wearing it everyday as a recovery driver was that I had swapped to one of the others. It's an Omega SMP, and would cost about £3k to replace, although it was a lot cheaper about 15 years ago.

An expensive watch doesn't tell the time better than a £10 disposable one - many clockwork ones are actually much worse -  because they are actually jewellery.

Ten watches.

That's a different one for each day of the week. ::) ::) ::)

I don't like a watch to be 'showy' so I'd go for the bottom left. :y

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 15 March 2022, 13:24:12 »

Ten watches.

That's a 1962 Omega Seamaster. It was cheap because it's a bitsa out of Eastern Europe; they over polished the case, didn't touch the shabby hands and dial, and fitted a generic crown that's too big. But it does have the correct movement which is now worth more than I paid for the watch, and whoever serviced/regulated it knew what he was doing because it keeps time to the bottom limit of the original spec.

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 15 March 2022, 13:44:55 »

Ten watches.

That's a 1962 Omega Seamaster. It was cheap because it's a bitsa out of Eastern Europe; they over polished the case, didn't touch the shabby hands and dial, and fitted a generic crown that's too big. But it does have the correct movement which is now worth more than I paid for the watch, and whoever serviced/regulated it knew what he was doing because it keeps time to the bottom limit of the original spec.

1962 was the year of the Cuban missile crisis and I can imagine some soviet general or other wearing a watch like that.

......maybe even Khrushchev himself.

« Last Edit: 15 March 2022, 13:48:51 by Field Marshal Dr. Opti »

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 15 March 2022, 13:50:21 »

Havent worn a watch since the late 70,s.Dont see the need for them these days, unless as investment pieces.
BIL bought a Cartier watch for 7 grand a couple of years ago. Apparently he had it valued at £26k last week.
He,s one of those people who are very lucky like that though.
I on the other hand............. ::)
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 15 March 2022, 14:01:13 »

Haven't worn a watch since the late 70,s. Don't see the need for them these days, unless as investment pieces.

So you don't need to know the time any more?

I've worn a watch for over forty years, and use it to keep track of time. I know that it's correct, which you cannot say of public time displays assuming that one is in sight.

Why not use a phone? Well, it's over a century since people discovered that strapping your timekeeper to your wrist was much more practical than having it in your pocket, and a watch doesn't need to be activated to display the time. And I stopped carrying a phone about three years ago.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 15 March 2022, 14:48:01 »

I don't think I even own a watch any more.

In my teens, I used to have issues with watches, be they cheap or relatively expensive (for me), quartz or manual windy up. So I just gave up.

Apart from the middle of the night, I'm usually reasonably accurate on knowing the time, give or take 15 mins. If I need to be more precise, I look at a clock.
Grumpy old man

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 15 March 2022, 14:56:58 »

The old LED, or should that be LCD? watches from the seventies and eighties were a pain in the arse because you had to use your 'free hand' to get them to light up.  :-\

Mr Skrunts

• Get A Life!!
  • Skruntie Land.
  • 3.O Elite Saloon with all the toys,
    • 2003 CD 2.2 Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 15 March 2022, 15:08:11 »

Havent worn a watch for years even though I have quite a few tucked away somewhere.

But as a teen I had one of these and wished I still had it.

http://www.digital-watch.com/DWL/1work/citizen-30-0217
Ask yourself :  " WHY do I believe in what I believe?"

Remember that my opinions expressed here are not representative of the opinions of other members on the OOF Forum.

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 15 March 2022, 15:20:27 »

My watch tells the time very accurately. And let's me read emails and texts, and pay contactlessly for my shopping/fuel. Does lots more, too, but I'm sure you get the picture.  :)
Diesel till I die
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 22 queries.