Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: MOT failure questions  (Read 1702 times)

Teebee

• Intermediate Member
  • Slough
    • View Profile
MOT failure questions
« on: 11 August 2010, 15:21:56 »

So I took it in today and got a fail ticket  >:( exhaust, front shock, tyre and handbrake.

Tyre is done, exhaust will be eternalcar, that leaves 2 questions.

Does anyone have any cheap recommendations for a new pair of front shocks? (I did toy with a wanted ad but unless they are obviously newish there's no point risking it)

As the handbrake failed on both sides do you think that will be the cable needing adjusting or new shoes and is there an easy way to check that doesn't involve stripping it apart?

More importantly why do I need a handbrake when I have park  :P

Jimbob

• Global Moderator
  • Chester / Flintshire
  • I like traffic lights, but only when they're green
    • E250 Est / Golf GTI
    • View Profile
Re: MOT failure questions
« Reply #1 on: 11 August 2010, 15:48:18 »

Handbrake is also emergency brake, and the park lock on the gearbox is very flimsy, dont rely on it alone!

with these handbrakes, use em, or lose em  :y

1st thing to try is drive 100metres with the handbrake on, may clean up the shoes / drums enough to pass  :y
« Last Edit: 11 August 2010, 15:49:01 by jimbob »

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 11 August 2010, 16:36:05 »

Yep, park pawl is just a little metal peg that fits into a slot in the output shaft of the gearbox. Once you've seen one, you will use your handbrake. ;D

Not much use as an emergency brake either.

Kevin
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 11 August 2010, 16:59:55 »

...... Once you've seen one, you will use your handbrake. ;D .....

I wonder what percentage of auto's ever have their handbrake applied, other than when at MOT.  :-/

Jimbob

• Global Moderator
  • Chester / Flintshire
    • E250 Est / Golf GTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 11 August 2010, 17:06:15 »

funnily coming from manuals, ive never not used mine, just habit.  :-/

CaptainZok

• Omega Lord
  • Bolton
  • Victim of Cyberbullying.
    • 3.2 MV6 Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 11 August 2010, 17:09:26 »

If I'm staying in the car just put it in park.
If i'm leaving the car, handbrake on usually.
PM me for code reading/clearing
TuBy's new whipping boy.

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 11 August 2010, 17:11:13 »

Yep, me too. I always park it in "N", check the handbrake is holding it, then move it into park. Slight incline to my driveway, and I don't like the idea of the transmission holding it.

Kevin
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Evo

• Amersham
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 11 August 2010, 17:25:43 »

If it's not the cable seized; then your handbrake problem is almost certainly due to the actuating lever in the drum rusting. See the photos in Mark's excellent guide:

http://www.omegaowners.com/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1152564750

Needs stripping down to fix.

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 11 August 2010, 17:45:10 »

Yep, me too. I always park it in "N", check the handbrake is holding it, then move it into park. Slight incline to my driveway, and I don't like the idea of the transmission holding it.

Kevin

When leaving the car on 'reasonable' sized hills, the handbrake will be on mine too, my drive is level and P suffices.  ;) :y

robson

• Omega Knight
  • Nr Ashford Kent
    • 2.6 facelift 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 11 August 2010, 18:41:33 »

Handbreak used all the time thats what it is there for so why not use it .Using it makes sure that it does not seize up and fail the MOT

omegaman2

• Omega Knight
  • Kilsyth, Glasgow G65
  • cruise , tints, shinbuster,advanced drinking test
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 11 August 2010, 18:45:13 »

try taking up anyplay from underneath first ,it may save stripping down
dieseldonicely

Teebee

• Intermediate Member
  • Slough
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 11 August 2010, 18:57:33 »

There was a  :P smiley after that comment  ;) I do use the handbrake all the time.

The handbrake does apply just that it was ineffectual on the test, I think I might as well try taking up the slack and if that fails go the whole hog with new shoes. I was kind of hoping for a golden bullet test as the one thing that cheeses me off is stripping something down only to find it's not what I thought/don't have the right part.

No recommendations for cheap shocks so far though  :(

Jimbob

• Global Moderator
  • Chester / Flintshire
    • E250 Est / Golf GTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 11 August 2010, 19:01:30 »

dunno what you are classing as cheap, but Vauxhall arnt too bad on TC imho :

Omega        Part Number        Retail Price        Normal Trade        Trade Club
Shock absorbers, front (single)
2.0/2.2 exc. lowered sports chassis - LH       72119076       £89.50       £76.11       £56.80
# The combination of applications and part numbers listed above for shock absorbers are 'Aftermarket Recommended'. If a Retailer or Trade Customer needs to make a shock absorber related claim on a vehicle still under a New Vehicle Warranty, a Sureguard Warranty or a Network Q Warranty, the correct part number for that specific vehicle must be identified by a Vauxhall Retailer using EPC for the warranty claim to be accepted

2.0/2.2 exc. lowered sports chassis - RH       72119077       £89.50       £76.11       £56.80
# The combination of applications and part numbers listed above for shock absorbers are 'Aftermarket Recommended'. If a Retailer or Trade Customer needs to make a shock absorber related claim on a vehicle still under a New Vehicle Warranty, a Sureguard Warranty or a Network Q Warranty, the correct part number for that specific vehicle must be identified by a Vauxhall Retailer using EPC for the warranty claim to be accepted

2.5/2.6/3.0/3.2 exc. lowered sports chassis - LH       9192249       £76.00       £64.63       £47.83

Diesel exc. lowered sports chassis - LH       9192249       £76.00       £64.63       £47.83

Diesel exc. lowered sports chassis - RH       9192250       £76.00       £64.63       £47.83

2.5/2.6/3.0/3.2 exc. lowered sports chassis - RH       9192250       £76.00       £64.63       £47.83

2.0/2.2 lowered sports chassis - LH       9192289       £76.00       £64.63       £47.83

2.0/2.2 lowered sports chassis - RH       9192290       £76.00       £64.63       £47.83

Diesel lowered sports chassis - LH       9192291       £76.00       £64.63       £47.83

2.5/2.6/3.0/3.2 lowered sports chassis - LH       9192291       £76.00       £64.63       £47.83

2.5/2.6/3.0/3.2 lowered sports chassis - RH       9192292       £76.00       £64.63       £47.83

Diesel lowered sports chassis - RH       9192292       £76.00       £64.63       £47.83
# The combination of applications and part numbers listed above for shock absorbers are 'Aftermarket Recommended'. If a Retailer or Trade Customer needs to make a shock absorber related claim on a vehicle still under a

Teebee

• Intermediate Member
  • Slough
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 11 August 2010, 19:09:20 »

Thank you for that, you're right they aren't that bad, more so considering that my local auto factors wanted 65 quid a pop for them...........

tidla

• Omega Baron
  • solihull
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 11 August 2010, 19:13:31 »

has any one mentioned adjusting the handbrake shoes up first.(wheel off, adjust thru the disc)
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.022 seconds with 19 queries.