Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Dongles?  (Read 1070 times)

omegod

• Omega Baron
  • liverpool
    • 2017 Seat Ateca
    • View Profile
Dongles?
« on: 04 August 2011, 17:54:24 »

Going to Wales next week and considering buying a dongle thingy for my laptop but have no clue what they are all about. I just want a pay as you go one so can anyone reccomend one thats good value and will pick up a signal in deepest snowdonia?

Not sure how many gig just browsing will suck up either anyone?
Happy to do Omega servicing etc around Merseyside,cruise activation, airbag lights sorted too...

Martian

Re: Dongles?
« Reply #1 on: 04 August 2011, 17:59:00 »

Going to Wales next week and considering buying a dongle thingy for my laptop but have no clue what they are all about. I just want a pay as you go one so can anyone reccomend one thats good value and will pick up a signal in deepest snowdonia?

Signal strength will be dictated by the coverage of the network provider, but even a good signal strength does not guarantee a decent speed when connected.
If you have a mobile phone, then tether it and save yourself a few quid.

As for data usage, that all depends on what you are looking at. Start watching video's and you'll suck it up like there is no tomorrow, however simple browsing (such as using these forums) will barely make a dent.
« Last Edit: 04 August 2011, 18:01:04 by Martian »

omegod

• Omega Baron
  • liverpool
    • 2017 Seat Ateca
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 04 August 2011, 18:05:20 »

Signal strength will be dictated by the coverage of the network provider, but even a good signal strength does not guarantee a decent speed when connected.

As for data usage, that all depends on what you are looking at. Start watching video's and you'll suck it up like there is no tomorrow, however simple browsing (such as using these forums) will barely make a dent.

Thanks Martian, I have a smart phone with some data included,  are you saying I can use this as a dongle? any idea how I sort this?

Technophobe alert!!
Happy to do Omega servicing etc around Merseyside,cruise activation, airbag lights sorted too...

Taxi_Driver

« Reply #3 on: 04 August 2011, 18:31:52 »

Be warned, this is probably against the T&C's of your mobile contract......tho if you only use it lightly....ie browsing/posting on forums/looking at websites with no downloading they probably won't notice  ;)

omegod

• Omega Baron
  • liverpool
    • 2017 Seat Ateca
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 04 August 2011, 18:55:43 »

Well now connected via the phone :) downloaded an easytether app !

Absolutely no idea what it will be costing me though ;D

Martian

« Reply #5 on: 04 August 2011, 21:35:09 »

Absolutely no idea what it will be costing me though ;D
If you exceed your data allowance, you will be charged as per the terms & conditions of your existing contract (eg, O2 charge £1 per day once you hit your allowance on PAYG and they don't care how quickly you use it up).
There is no charge for using the app itself, you only get charged for what you pull when connected.

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 04 August 2011, 22:30:46 »

Avoid Vodafone, they are feking useless for signal

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 04 August 2011, 23:14:04 »

I use a 3 dongle which is fine, just like the broadband at home  :y and different packages from £2.99 for a day to £25 for a month, deprnding on usage  :)
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

Vamps

• Bishop Middleham, Co Durham.
  • Flying Tonight, so Be Prepared.
    • Mig 2.6CDX and 2.2 Honda
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 05 August 2011, 00:33:57 »

I use a 3 dongle which is fine, just like the broadband at home  :y and different packages from £2.99 for a day to £25 for a month, deprnding on usage  :)

I am on a Three dongle, and it even just about worked at the lakes, I am on contract, but would be better off on payg now that we have internet at our caravan (Static) site...... :)

Jimbob

• Global Moderator
  • Chester / Flintshire
  • I like traffic lights, but only when they're green
    • E250 Est / Golf GTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 05 August 2011, 07:23:55 »

I like the 3 one, valid for 12 months max, loaded with 12 gig of data allowance.

all for about £80.

can get about £15 back from the cashback sites when buying it too  :y

Bionic

• Omega Knight
  • Leicester
  • Why drive anything else?
    • 1999 F/L 3.0 Elite saloon
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 05 August 2011, 07:34:50 »

Personally I use a Three network dongle but have found that in some areas it is less than useful.
The problem with a dongle is that like a mobile phone it needs a straight line of sight to a tower to receive or send signals. Anything in the way will obstruct the signal.  :(
My absolute preference now that I have signed up for BT is the use of their WiFI Free HotSpot service which utilises any BT customer who has a WiFi capability and so is less affected by terrain and more reliable than a dedicated single service dongle. All you have be is within range of one that allows unrestricted access, many of them are if they are in public access areas such as cafes etc and the speeds are usually great too. :y
Its worth looking into.... :y
Too old to suffer, too young to die!
Autobahnstormers Trade Cards now accepted at Drive Leicester and at Marshall's Vauxhall.

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
  • 3.2 Manual Special Saloon ReMapped and LPG'd and
    • 3.2 Manual Special Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 05 August 2011, 13:04:31 »

If your going to use it as a one off, your be better of with T mobile (subject to coverage). £2.50 for a week (5 days) or £5 for a month on Paygo (Web Bolt on).

If you hit the Fair Use Policy, you can still surf, email and download, you just cant stream videos, you tube etc, but they wont sting you for more money.

Chris.  :y 
« Last Edit: 05 August 2011, 13:21:53 by zirk »

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
  • 3.2 Manual Special Saloon ReMapped and LPG'd and
    • 3.2 Manual Special Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 05 August 2011, 13:19:09 »

Also worth mentioning, if anyone is using Orange or T Mobile Non Data Sim (ie using a Mobile Sim in a dongle or tetherd) you need to switch off Data Roaming or if you cant do that then select Manual Network Selection for your own Network.

That way it will stay on 3g / HSDPA speeds and not grind down to GPRS only speeds when they roam to each other.

Chris  :y

« Last Edit: 05 August 2011, 13:23:44 by zirk »
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.05 seconds with 21 queries.