Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: PSA buys Opel  (Read 11463 times)

STEMO

PSA buys Opel
« on: 05 March 2017, 14:47:11 »

Press announcement tomorrow am, by both parties. Massive cost cutting expected, including not holding parts for cars over 10 years old.  ;D
OK......I made the last bit up.

Lincs Robert

Re: PSA buys Opel
« Reply #1 on: 05 March 2017, 16:52:58 »

Things don't look good for Luton, Ellesmere Port or the dealer network .....  :'( Fingers crossed.

I spent several years working at the computer centre in the main Kimpton Road site in Luton, just tumbleweed there now really. Vauxhall's HQ moved from Kimpton Rd into Osborne Road back in the 90's, but I'll always remember the building as Bedfords admin centre known as AJ block, spending many happy hours working there in the early days of data comms for the Dec/Vax systems that Bedford used. Vauxhalls IT systems were IBM mainframe based, with lots of other manufacturers being used for odds & ends for specific purposes. Happy days .....

iansoutham

• SE London
    • Omega 2.0 m/f/l est CDX
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 05 March 2017, 17:14:44 »

Massive cost cutting expected, including not holding parts for cars over 10 years old.  ;D
OK......I made the last bit up.

Don't you believe it. One of the first things that they will do is to look at reducing obsolete stock in every form. Anything older than a Corsa C will be scrapped within the first full financial year as a write down.

When I worked for Volvo in 2013 Geely took them over worldwide and within 3 months you went from getting almost anything for most vehicles to anything pre-1998 being obsolete unless it was mechanical or used on later models.

Ford have written down all their stock for older European models to a subsidiary company in the US at 5 cents in the dollar. You can buy it from them, but have to pay import taxes and everything is now 50-100% dearer than when it was in the UK.

Trust me, it will happen.

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
  • What is going to break next?
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 05 March 2017, 17:24:58 »

One report hinted at 2billion savings. To me that means job losses. I guess they will all be in France.
The biggest joke on mankind is that computers have started asking humans to prove that they aren’t a robot.

STEMO

« Reply #4 on: 05 March 2017, 17:36:43 »

Job losses won't be in France, PSA made a very healthy profit last year. It's Germany where the over-capacity is, so maybe there. One unintended consequence of the takeover is that Opel could now have a presence in China if there were enough stupid Chinese people about as GM  deliberately kept them out of that market to protect the likes of Chevrolet and Buick.

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 05 March 2017, 19:53:38 »

Expect the Vauxhall brand, its its employees to disappear in the not too distant future.  >:(
Bloody French.  ::)
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

citroenguy

• Sweden
    • 2005 Citroën C5 2.0SX
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 05 March 2017, 20:16:08 »

Expect the Vauxhall brand, its its employees to disappear in the not too distant future.  >:(
Bloody French.  ::)
'

Since the Vauxhall name and main organisation hasn't disappeared since the 80's, when Vauxhall seized making its own models. Even under GM bean counters.
I don't think so..
I cannot see the French being worse than GM.
124k on the C5
I like Omegas Senators and all other big 90´s euro saloons.
Previous motors: 3x Rover 600s, Citroën ZX, Volvo 850

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 05 March 2017, 20:22:01 »

Peugeot sells a lot of cars in the UK, so I have doubts that it will se any long term reason to maintain the Vauxhall name.
Lets face it, the Vauxhall brand is now one of the least prestigious brands on UK roads.
I also cant see the French wanting to utilise the British factories and workforce as it would be taking jobs out of France, and the French don't tend to do that kind of thing if it can be avoided.
Unfortunately the British are more than happy too do that kind of thing.  :(
Admittedly, their problems may come if they try these tactics with the Germans, but time will tell.
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

STEMO

« Reply #8 on: 05 March 2017, 22:29:38 »

That's right, it's all the fault of the French....my arse. It's the fault of this pathetic little island that would sell its granny for the right money. Aren't the French building our latest nuclear reactors too? Along with the Chinese, who with the arabs, own most of London.

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 05 March 2017, 23:04:09 »

Vauxhall make just rubbish now, nothing decent out there. Only car I would even look twice at is Zafira Tourer, but recently found out the middle third seat is not ISO fix. So that's off the list now, was border line before due to petrol Auto option only having a poxy 1.4T

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 05 March 2017, 23:12:26 »

That's right, it's all the fault of the French....my arse. It's the fault of this pathetic little island that would sell its granny for the right money. Aren't the French building our latest nuclear reactors too? Along with the Chinese, who with the arabs, own most of London.
Must have missed the episode where the British Government purchased GM Europe purely to sell out to the Frenchies ::)
Onanists always think outside the box.

STEMO

« Reply #11 on: 06 March 2017, 06:03:31 »

Must have missed the episode where the British Government purchased GM Europe purely to sell out to the Frenchies ::)
I was on about the demise of our car industry in general, Vauxhall was a bad example.

Pmacca2000

• Intermediate Member
  • Midlands
    • Omega CD
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 06 March 2017, 06:35:50 »

VX already build vans for Renault and Nissan so does this mean that VX quality will remain and we won't notice the changes?
Or everyone's looking to run a mile due to changes?
PSA haven't said much about jobs to my knowledge.
Pmacca, living the dream since 1995

Mr.OmegaMan

• Omega Baron
  • Middle of nowhere
    • 3.2 Elite , CLS500
    • View Profile

TD

• Omega Knight
  • Swindon
    • Nowt!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 06 March 2017, 07:58:15 »

VX already build vans for Renault and Nissan so does this mean that VX quality will remain and we won't notice the changes?
Or everyone's looking to run a mile due to changes?
PSA haven't said much about jobs to my knowledge.

Actually its Renault who build vans for VX and Nissan if your talking about the trafic range
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7   Go Up

Page created in 0.045 seconds with 22 queries.