Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Very Poor MPG. Help Please.  (Read 4806 times)

Mal

• Southampton, Hampshire
    • View Profile
Re: Very Poor MPG. Help Please.
« Reply #15 on: 06 October 2009, 11:05:18 »

Sorry....pipe does not go back to HBV. It goes to some mad T piece thing with loads of little ones to the lft of it ( Drivers side )  8-)
Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its pupils ...

When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car.

Mal

• Southampton, Hampshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 06 October 2009, 11:11:41 »

ECU to Brake Servo vacuum pipe. Right I'm of to Vauxhall :y

When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car.

Elite Pete

• Omega Queen
  • Chester
  • My spider senses are tingling
    • Audi SQ5 GSX1400
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 06 October 2009, 11:14:15 »

Leaking Vac pipes won't help at all ;)
Retired

Mal

• Southampton, Hampshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 06 October 2009, 12:19:24 »

Right then. Vac pipe replaced :y

Crank Sensor from Vauxhall is either £68 + Vat or £98 + Vat.

All I have to do now is find out which one  have. Bet I have the more expensive one >:(

rustym95

• Omega Knight
  • Rotherham south yorks
  • carn't get up dont go out!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 06 October 2009, 12:42:58 »

Give these a ring may get it for you cheaper GM Parts 01228 599000 :y
Omega's is a life not just a car. also do ecu codes read and wiped or rest.., fix LCD tv & DVD recorders PS3's and most electrical equipment just e-mail me.

feeutfo

« Reply #20 on: 06 October 2009, 13:36:50 »

where ever you get the crank sensor make sure its genuine GM. Pattern ones dont last 5 mins.

Small vac pipe will be multiram related. Either to vac tank or m.ram itself, cant remember the routing off hand, but that whole system needs to work to get the best from it.

Did you have any luck identifying when the cam belt and tensioner is due? They are 40k or 4 years due to the tensioner, not just the belt. :-)

tmx

• Omega Baron
  • Herefordshire
    • 3.2 MV6 2002
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 06 October 2009, 15:02:24 »

If your Maf has an Oval connector you need an oval cranksensor

if your maf is the older type square connector you need a square cranksensor

Mal

• Southampton, Hampshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 06 October 2009, 16:47:25 »

Chris, on its last service it had its cam belt and cam belt kit done.  persume this is the tensioners. Kit price on invoice shows £103. Total bill on that invoice was £530. So I hope the work was done. I hasten to add this was all done before I purchased the car.

Have not checked Crank sensor yet due to weather, so still unsure which one it is yet. So when you mean the MAF, do you mean the big round thing by the air box. This has a round type plug :-/

Not looking forward to taking the skuttle off again. It was a pain last time when I replaced the HBV. Apparently another common fault on these cars. >:(

Is there any other common faults I should be prepared for. If so I will be asking the wife for a tool kit come Christmas. :D

:y   

GArlington

• London, UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 06 October 2009, 18:27:25 »

How bad or good is the power output? Poor MPG can be caused by bad mix, incorrect ratio, though it will be noticeable as the power will drop like a rock too...
I may say that I drove my 2.5 V6s for over 300K miles and did NOT have any problems with crank sensors, though I did have problems with leaking cam gaskets...
« Last Edit: 06 October 2009, 18:28:06 by GArlington »

feeutfo

« Reply #24 on: 06 October 2009, 18:48:00 »

Chris, on its last service it had its cam belt and cam belt kit done.  persume this is the tensioners. Kit price on invoice shows £103. Total bill on that invoice was £530. So I hope the work was done. I hasten to add this was all done before I purchased the car.

Have not checked Crank sensor yet due to weather, so still unsure which one it is yet. So when you mean the MAF, do you mean the big round thing by the air box. This has a round type plug :-/

Not looking forward to taking the skuttle off again. It was a pain last time when I replaced the HBV. Apparently another common fault on these cars. >:(

Is there any other common faults I should be prepared for. If so I will be asking the wife for a tool kit come Christmas. :D

:y   
yes i would be happy that includes the tensioner, importannt thing is the date of the service and mileage at the time, if its within 40k and 4 years of the service then thats fine. the only thing to check with that is the timing is correct, but i would eliminate the the other issues and see if it improves first, which i'm sure it will do with the vac and crank sensor issues sorted. All you need now is some dry weather... oh and crank sensor of course... maf is on the inlet, its the first electrical plug inline from the air box(near left corner as you look at engine) hth
ps you may as well remove the old crank sensor and take it in to show them if you can?.... or if it the car drives take it to them :y

steve-o2.5

• Fort William
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 06 October 2009, 22:56:48 »

hi mal. got same mod as u.in hand book vx gives l/100k as 16.7urb, 8.6ex urb, and 11.6comb. which works out about 16 mpg, i get 32 on average! unless i go down the back roads (which is 5 miles shorter!) and get 23!! cruise control at 70 returns 45 mpg!!! hope ya sort it

Mal

• Southampton, Hampshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 08 October 2009, 12:18:52 »

Lovely sunny day. Got up bright and early. Took skuttle off and found I have the round plug. Part at Vauxhall £68 RESULT I have the cheaper of the 2 :y

Get home and find I need a E torx thing for bolt on sensor. Buy a set for £22 :y

Change it and re-route so keeping away from Manifold. Pull the old one out and check for damage. Nothing to indicate obvious signs of wear.

Put car back together and takes her out for a drive :y

Instant MPG shows 7mpg toodling around. Does not rise above 15 driving around 30 to 40mph.

Motor way shows 21mpg @ 70mph. going up a slight incline on motorway this drops down to 15mpg. Engine warm and i'm not booting it. I have a quarter of a tank showing on the gauge with a range indicating of 68 miles left  >:(

Get her back home with steam coming out me ears. Paperclip test done again. Still shows a code 19.

Now do we think this is an old error code stuck in the memory. Which means I replaced a perfectly servicable sensor >:(

Also reading other posts of people having crank sensor faults my car has not experienced anything like they were saying ( STALLING, CUTTING OUT )

My motor runs fine. Just has really bad fuel economy. Which I'm guessing now means it probably won't pass its next MOT.

Anymore bright ideas welcome please. :'(

Andy H

• Omega Lord
  • Auckland
    • Mazda MPV
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 08 October 2009, 12:25:23 »

Is it running at the correct temperature? (between 80 and 90 degrees celsius).

Has someone replaced the MID (computer display) and not coded it correctly?
"Deja Moo - The feeling that you've heard this bull somewhere before."

I_want_an_Omega

« Reply #28 on: 08 October 2009, 12:27:42 »

If its possibly a MAF then I have a spare one from a '98 2.5V6 you are welcome to borrow to help with the elimination .....

Jimbob

• Global Moderator
  • Chester / Flintshire
  • I like traffic lights, but only when they're green
    • E250 Est / Golf GTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 08 October 2009, 12:28:37 »

Is it running at the correct temperature? (between 80 and 90 degrees celsius).

Has someone replaced the MID (computer display) and not coded it correctly?

good point, do you pump figures, match the MID?

you can check the mid coding ...

http://www.omegaowners.com/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1167400262

although you need a real tech2 to change if its wrong.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.046 seconds with 21 queries.