Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Okd PC Parts  (Read 938 times)

Mr Skrunts

• Get A Life!!
  • Skruntie Land.
  • 3.O Elite Saloon with all the toys,
    • 2003 CD 2.2 Auto
    • View Profile
Okd PC Parts
« on: 30 October 2023, 13:09:28 »

I saw a post on social media regards an ISA Sound Blaster card (Boxed etc) and the person asking for a price.

In the US they are telling him to get $200/300 for it, with a few people then saying they aveage $70 minimum

Checking out the UK most are on offer for around £15 and no sign of them even getting sold.

Have I missed something.

I have a Dreamcast, PS One PS2 XBox, wonder if there is any value now, wait for them to become a vintage item or set up an account to sell in the US.

I might be sat on a Gold mine with all the stuff I have tucked away. ::)

Inc New and boxed Rainbow Runner Video card
Even 2 Brand New boxed/sealed Xeon 733

Ask yourself :  " WHY do I believe in what I believe?"

Remember that my opinions expressed here are not representative of the opinions of other members on the OOF Forum.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
Re: Okd PC Parts
« Reply #1 on: 30 October 2023, 13:50:10 »

A soundblaster is worth precisely jack shit now.  What PC's have ISA slots for most Soundblaster 8/16/32AWE etc, or even PCI slots for later Soundblaster 16's.  When I stopped building PCs, I must have binned boxes of that sort of crap, not worth the effort trying to sell them, as they were only costing me about £3 or £4 in quantities of 100.  Pretty much the same with all PC components unless its current, or in the case of gaming video cards, the last 2 or 3 generations.

There is an interest in retro computers (think Sinclairs, Commodores, Ti, BBC etc, certainly not PC's unless its historically important like a 5150) and older consoles (Atari, Sega, NES/SNES/N64), but not so much Xbox's or GayStations.
Grumpy old man

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 30 October 2023, 13:55:19 »

Talking of sitting on things, I half heartedly checked to see what DJI Mavic Minis were going for on egay, as mine hasn't been powered up since June 2022.

Looks like the ceiling price for the Fly More ones is around £170 - plenty more for sale at higher prices, but they aren't selling.  Whilst £170 minus about £15 in postage is more use than it sitting on the shelf, you just know ebay is going to be a whole load of hassle with that type of item, and the type of buyer it will attract.  I think I'd rather give it away to somebody wanting to have a go before spending shed loads of cash on such things rather than lose money with ebay's policies.
Grumpy old man

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 30 October 2023, 16:12:32 »

There's a market for the older PC parts , people building and buying 15+ year old hardware to do "retro gaming"
plenty of youtube channels with large subscriber numbers  ,

Oh , and there's probably many OOFers with Pentium PCs running XP  :D

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 30 October 2023, 18:01:45 »

There's a market for the older PC parts , people building and buying 15+ year old hardware to do "retro gaming"
plenty of youtube channels with large subscriber numbers  ,

Oh , and there's probably many OOFers with Pentium PCs running XP  :D
Yes, but for the 3 people wanting parts, there are 300m selling.  So prices are supremely depressed.  As you have already said, a £15 Sandblaster 16 isn't selling.  Lets say you could get a tenner (you can't), its going to cost you £4 to post, plus a quid in selling fees.  If you have 100 to sell, and can find 100 buyers (you can't), that's only £500.  There are far easier ways to make a quick £500 on eBay ;)

Pentium and XP are hardly what I'd class as retro ;)

Many more casual gamers tend to use emulators, due to a lack of usable CGA/EGA monitors.  There are those that want retro museums of old stuff - I work for one of those - but that sort of hardware is not the stuff you are talking about.
Grumpy old man

Jimbob

• Global Moderator
  • Chester / Flintshire
  • I like traffic lights, but only when they're green
    • E250 Est / Golf GTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 31 October 2023, 19:31:28 »

Talking of sitting on things, I half heartedly checked to see what DJI Mavic Minis were going for on egay, as mine hasn't been powered up since June 2022.

Looks like the ceiling price for the Fly More ones is around £170 - plenty more for sale at higher prices, but they aren't selling.  Whilst £170 minus about £15 in postage is more use than it sitting on the shelf, you just know ebay is going to be a whole load of hassle with that type of item, and the type of buyer it will attract.  I think I'd rather give it away to somebody wanting to have a go before spending shed loads of cash on such things rather than lose money with ebay's policies.

Hmmm. If you decide to sell let me know. Could be tempted.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 01 November 2023, 13:08:44 »

Camera drones are dead easy to fly, and take decent footage, but do come under CAA regs.  So you have to register them (currently about £9 per year (for as many aircraft as you own)) and should really take the online training and exams (free) although sub 250g ones like the DJI Mini series technically don't need the exams....    ...but if you can spell your name right, you can pass ;D

The Mini 1 is a bit limited in that it uses enhanced Wifi, so the range isn't great*, and the video bitrate is rubbish at 60Mbps, so I always filmed in 1080p with it.

This particular one has had a crash in Mum's garden. Caught on film, obviously - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ya4X76xX_uk ;D
Grumpy old man

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 01 November 2023, 14:56:37 »

Camera drones are dead easy to fly, and take decent footage, but do come under CAA regs.  So you have to register them (currently about £9 per year (for as many aircraft as you own)) and should really take the online training and exams (free) although sub 250g ones like the DJI Mini series technically don't need the exams....    ...but if you can spell your name right, you can pass ;D

The Mini 1 is a bit limited in that it uses enhanced Wifi, so the range isn't great*, and the video bitrate is rubbish at 60Mbps, so I always filmed in 1080p with it.

This particular one has had a crash in Mum's garden. Caught on film, obviously - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ya4X76xX_uk ;D
That's some garden.
Diesel till I die

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 01 November 2023, 15:08:29 »

That's some garden.
And bless her, she maintains it all herself, aside from a man who cuts the hedges (but she clears up behind him)...
Grumpy old man
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 18 queries.