Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: I must buy one immediately...  (Read 2101 times)

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
Re: I must buy one immediately...
« Reply #15 on: 15 January 2010, 10:56:54 »

The idea is to put one on the air intake tube just after airfilter, and one as close to the turbo / engine inlet, thus the fins angle spin the air coming into the engine causing it to mix with fuel and create a better mixed burn!
call me mad but i was given 2 for my 4x4 and would say i noticed a small increase in both pulling power and MPG, but nothing to ram you back in your seat or never have to fill up again lol

Sorry. I don't buy it.

On a diesel engine the only place the fuel mixes with air is when it is injected into the cylinder / prechamber. With LPG / Petrol it's injected into a fast moving stream of air just behind the intake valve. No way will something upstream of a turbo or the throttle make any difference whatsoever, other than to restrict the flow and reduce power.

55 quid?  :o Consider this: GM could make these for well under 55 pence on a mass production basis. If they made any difference at all wouldn't they have fitted them from new?

Kevin
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

NaughtyNigel

• Sedgefield, Co Durham
  • Naughty Nigel
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 15 January 2010, 11:04:34 »

The idea is to put one on the air intake tube just after airfilter, and one as close to the turbo / engine inlet, thus the fins angle spin the air coming into the engine causing it to mix with fuel and create a better mixed burn!
call me mad but i was given 2 for my 4x4 and would say i noticed a small increase in both pulling power and MPG, but nothing to ram you back in your seat or never have to fill up again lol

Sorry. I don't buy it.

On a diesel engine the only place the fuel mixes with air is when it is injected into the cylinder / prechamber. With LPG / Petrol it's injected into a fast moving stream of air just behind the intake valve. No way will something upstream of a turbo or the throttle make any difference whatsoever, other than to restrict the flow and reduce power.

55 quid?  :o Consider this: GM could make these for well under 55 pence on a mass production basis. If they made any difference at all wouldn't they have fitted them from new?

Kevin

I agree. Some people go to a lot of trouble to smooth ports thereby REDUCING resistance and turbulence in the inlet tract.

Next they'll be selling chains to dangle from the back of the car, which claim to stop the dog throwing up on the backseat.  ::)

A fool and his money are easily parted.  :)

NN
Why drive fast when you can drive fast in style? :)

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 15 January 2010, 11:11:46 »

Next they'll be selling chains to dangle from the back of the car, which claim to stop the dog throwing up on the backseat.

Ahh, now they do work very well.  :y I've never had a dog throw up on my back seat.  ;)

I haven't got a dog, mind.  :-[

Kevin
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

alunonhisown

« Reply #18 on: 15 January 2010, 11:55:00 »

Next they'll be selling chains to dangle from the back of the car, which claim to stop the dog throwing up on the backseat. 

A fool and his money are easily parted. 

Reminds me of the Mark 3 Cortina era when peeps used to have 3 rubber straps hanging from the bumper to reduce  something or was it to give a better earth, not techically minded, but I thought then, why the straps, the bloody thing is running round on 4 rubber tyres, are peeps thick or what, or is it the BLONDE in me?

Jimbob

• Global Moderator
  • Chester / Flintshire
  • I like traffic lights, but only when they're green
    • E250 Est / Golf GTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 15 January 2010, 11:57:29 »

A fool and his money are easily parted. 

Reminds me of the Mark 3 Cortina era when peeps used to have 3 rubber straps hanging from the bumper to reduce  something or was it to give a better earth, not techically minded, but I thought then, why the straps, the bloody thing is running round on 4 rubber tyres, are peeps thick or what, or is it the BLONDE in me?

there was wire inside em so could 'ground' the car IF there was something for them to conduct onto.

Dunno exactly the theory, but we had an old Cavalier, which we all got regular shocks off....one of those sorted the issue iirc  (must have been 20-25 years back, so allow for memory issues)

NaughtyNigel

• Sedgefield, Co Durham
  • Naughty Nigel
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 15 January 2010, 12:29:53 »

The chains/straps were supposed to conduct static electricity, which it was believed might otherwise cause car sickness. I think that theory was disproved many years ago.

There have been many quaint theories surrounding cars over the years, most of which were the result of bad science.

At one time all cars were wired with a positive earth, the theory being that it helped prevent corrosion (rather like the impressed current cathodic protection systems used on some ships). It didn't work, and neither would I have expected it to, but it meant that car radios had to be redesigned to work with opposite polarity!

NN
Why drive fast when you can drive fast in style? :)
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.025 seconds with 18 queries.