Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: What made you buy an Omega?  (Read 4661 times)

pedroMV6

• Omega Knight
  • York
  • Der Metzgermeister
    • View Profile
What made you buy an Omega?
« on: 09 January 2010, 08:24:58 »

For me it's a continuation from my Carlton.
The wife bought her (troublesome) Elite some 5 years ago, and at first I wasn't it's biggest fan - kept going wrong and costing alot of money - more than it was worth in my book - but she loved driving it on a day to day basis.
We went to Cornwall a couple of years ago, on the day the rains came, and got stuck for hours at Tewksbury - usually a 5 hour trip from York to Newquay, but this trip took us 13 hours in total.
Being in the Omega was a nice place to be, and we eventually got to Newquay without the aching back and legs you get in other cars.
The price of Omegas - and what you get for your money - is much more attractive than a BMW, Audi or Mercedes and I think the facelift Omega is a damn fine looking car too. Also those "premium" German cars are as dull as ditchwater inside!
I really don't think that they deserve the extra money either, as they really are not much better built than an Omega and the ride of most BMW's is akin to some race cars I've built.

So I decided that I'd have an MV6 saloon (the Elite is an estate) for myself.
I ended up buying my MV6 estate cos she didn't like having my drum kit in her car anymore.

What about you - why did you buy an Omega?
Loving the Vectra C 2.2 diesel!

Tim7

• Wiltshire
    • View Profile
Re: What made you buy an Omega?
« Reply #1 on: 09 January 2010, 09:09:28 »

I got mine as i wanted RWD and I like big 4 doors, not keen on BMW or Merk, pay to much for the badge. As you say a lot of car for the money, very tempted to get another one when this one dies which will be a first for me, never had the same car twice.

Steve Brookman

• Blackwood, Gwent
    • Royale/Senator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 09 January 2010, 09:11:39 »

I'd always had Granadas then 9 years ago needed an estate for the dog and to pull the caravan. The only good value estates out there were Omegas. My first was an S plate 2.5GLS estate cost me a £7000 at just over 2 years old. Had it for 8 years then replaced it with an Elite estate - £1000. Another Omega because there is nothing out there that is comparable as far as I am concerned. I just wished they still made them.
Previous
Omega 2.5 GLS Auto Estate         S115 JVV
Omega 3.0 Elite  Auto Estate        T639 TFA

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 09 January 2010, 09:30:23 »

Her cheap lease cars scheme through work ended, so we had to get another car.

I had every intention of using the bike in summer, and buying a car for winters - cars I've always fancied (pocket rockets like the old Civic Type-R).

We'd booked a driving holiday to France the following summer, so went for a big cruiser to do the holiday.  Still got it over 6yrs later...
Grumpy old man

pedroMV6

• Omega Knight
  • York
  • Der Metzgermeister
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 09 January 2010, 09:32:49 »

I'd always had Granadas then 9 years ago needed an estate for the dog and to pull the caravan. The only good value estates out there were Omegas. My first was an S plate 2.5GLS estate cost me a £7000 at just over 2 years old. Had it for 8 years then replaced it with an Elite estate - £1000. Another Omega because there is nothing out there that is comparable as far as I am concerned. I just wished they still made them.

I agree although GM Australia (Holden) still do.
GM Europe should be kicking themselves, as I bet Volvo are laughing!
Latest Omega - if they'd carried on for Europe
(I guess the Omega C) would probably look like the Omega on here...........
http://www.holden.com.au/vehicles/Sportwagon
 8-) 8-) 8-)

Loving the Vectra C 2.2 diesel!

webby23

• Omega Baron
  • Nottingham
  • MV6
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 09 January 2010, 10:18:40 »

Bought our first one in 2006, an X reg 2.0 CD auto in Persia......Drove all the way down to Bude in Cornwall to view it...It won me over on the 300 mile drive home.....!!

For the price, it was the most comfortable, relaxing, capacious, smart looking car we could get......

Our move up to our current MV6 came about because it was being advertised at a very very good price and when I saw it I totally wanted it.......!!!

Love Omegas, which is strange for me cos 5 yrs ago I hated, hated, hated Vauxhalls........!!!!

:y :y
« Last Edit: 09 January 2010, 10:19:22 by webby23 »
The only certainty of life is death. Live your life and enjoy it. The clock is ticking

cem_devecioglu

« Reply #6 on: 09 January 2010, 10:21:45 »

honestly speaking I like its design at first when I saw .. and still.. I prefer the curved shapes mostly ..

big,comfy and sporty (for that size)..

came home checked reviews and ideas from net and then bought it..

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
  • What is going to break next?
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 09 January 2010, 10:36:13 »

Had Carltons before. Bought this Omega in 99 for lots of driving with work plus carrying the elderly relatives.

Used the Carltons and Omega to travel Europe. Great car for long distance driving although I think the boot is a bit small on the saloons.
The biggest joke on mankind is that computers have started asking humans to prove that they aren’t a robot.

webby23

• Omega Baron
  • Nottingham
  • MV6
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 09 January 2010, 10:47:06 »

Had Carltons before. Bought this Omega in 99 for lots of driving with work plus carrying the elderly relatives.

Used the Carltons and Omega to travel Europe. Great car for long distance driving although I think the boot is a bit small on the saloons.

Boot is a bit small.......????

You must have a different Omega saloon to me then.......!!!

2 week family trip to Poland.......fully loaded.....4 up....pushchair.....suitcases.....quilts etc etc etc

Filled up with beers and vodka too coming home......

Nothing similar for the money could have got us there so comfortably and carried so much....

:y
« Last Edit: 09 January 2010, 10:48:14 by webby23 »
The only certainty of life is death. Live your life and enjoy it. The clock is ticking

goonv6

• Intermediate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 09 January 2010, 10:56:29 »

Love Omegas, which is strange for me cos 5 yrs ago I hated, hated, hated Vauxhalls........!!!!

:y :y
Funnily enough, I still don't like them (Except the Monaro and Insignia VXR) but I don't see Omegas as Vauxhalls in the poor handling FWD sense. They are more substantial and solid. You get a nice thunk from the doors as you shut them. You sink into the deep leather seats, you waft around everywhere with a lot of power on tap from the V6. I'm not sure about them being particularly good looking,I think mine is quite bland.

I bought (swapped) mine because I needed to lug stuff around and I like a challenge (No engine in it when I got it)

cruisetopoland

• Omega Knight
  • UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 09 January 2010, 10:57:52 »

Boot is a bit small.......????

You must have a different Omega saloon to me then.......!!!

2 week family trip to Poland.......fully loaded.....4 up....pushchair.....suitcases.....quilts etc etc etc

Filled up with beers and vodka too coming home......

Nothing similar for the money could have got us there so comfortably and carried so much....

:y

Ditto  :y

Dishevelled Den

• Omega Queen
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 09 January 2010, 11:05:18 »

My wife had one ('02 2.2) and I used them in work.

I was using a Volvo XC70 T5 which was fine apart from the manual gearbox which I simply didn't like.  In a fit of pique I sold it and did without for a while until I once again needed a car urgently.

I found my current Omega down Maidstone way on eBay.  I was in urgent need so had to settle for a 2.2 saloon when I really wanted a 3.2 estate but simply didn't have the time to look around anymore.

The 2.2 is fair enough but will always be the skinny sibling to the more substantial and properly powered 3.2.

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • 3.2 Elite 2.0 TitX Mondeo
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 09 January 2010, 11:43:42 »

Bought mine at a few months old in '99 as I needed a big Estate for work related equipment, previous car was a Citroen BX td, another great car, but not up to Omega for comfort, space, or long distance cruising, the latter being what most people enjoy. I would buy another if they were still made, which is why I looked at the Insignia recently. I thought that it was rubbish compared to the Omega. :y

Rockhampton

• Intermediate Member
  • Trecelyn, Gwent
  • Gone!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 09 January 2010, 12:16:05 »

Had one brand new in 2000 as a company car, and after driving high mileages in smaller cars, it was an absolute joy, stopped getting a bad back, and enjoyed the toys - plenty of room for road trips on the weekend too, remember taking it to the Beach Boutique in Brighton and spending the night in it as the place was rammed - kept warm by the retained heat from the climate control :y - I then was lucky enough to  have a Holden Commodore to drive around Eastern Australia in (for work) - tens of thousands of kms, because it was so comfortable and easy, gave me a chance to enjoy the country much more, and a really chilled out drive  :y
So, when I had a chance to change my car recently, that's why I picked an Omega - okay, it's a bit harder to live with when you've got to pay for the repairs yourself, but she's a blast to drive, and nobody complains about lack of room in the back!!!
Previous GM Models include '00 Omega 2.5 CD Auto, '06 Holden Commodore Executive 3.6 Auto, '99 Astra 1.8 CDX Auto, several Astra Diesels.

albitz

« Reply #14 on: 09 January 2010, 13:51:29 »

I had a Senator which had been eaten alive by tinworm so bought the Omega hoping it would be as good.I was disappointed tbh.Although mine had almost the worst case scenario as far as service history went. Main fealer up to 70,000 and then no servicing at all until I bought it at 95,000.
If I had say £3.000 to spend on a car now my first choice would be an E38 735 with LPG or an LS400 with LPG. an Omega would probably be about 5th on the list if it was an Elite with LPG, but that is in the large part due to the knowledge and help available here to help keep one in fine fettle for not a lot of money

Martin_1962

« Reply #15 on: 09 January 2010, 14:02:52 »

Logical progression from Carltons

ScottieMV6

• Omega Knight
  • Swinton, Manchester
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 09 January 2010, 14:08:41 »

I had 4 Carlton GSi 3000's so guess the omega was just a natural progression. Had 3 x 3.0 Elite autos before finding my current MV6 3.0 manual. :y :y
I'd rather be scared to death than bored to death!!

cruisetopoland

• Omega Knight
  • UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 09 January 2010, 14:28:53 »

The Omega is the biggest car I have owned.

I bought it because we have a young son and needed a car that was big enough for my wife and I, our son and Parents, plus space for pushchair and luggage.  We wanted a cheap car with reasonable safety, which we could both drive long distances comfortably, that was not too expensive to buy, run, insure or repair.

Our trips to Poland mean we wanted something subtle so as not to get it stolen; the Omega is LHD and Opel over there making our LHD Vauxhall variant harder to "lose".

I viewed a few and told a friend about the obviously clocked one I saw that day; he told another friend in the pub, that friend had just taken one in px and had come to the pub in it.  It seemed ok, bar some works, so I bought it and so started "the list" which goes on still...

Without OOF, our Omega would have been sold long ago, but with help, support and advice from members it has been possible to bring an older, worn car up to a reliable and serviceable standard good enough for demanding, fully loaded distance trips.

I like it more day by day.
« Last Edit: 09 January 2010, 14:29:17 by geoffharvey »

Steve Webb

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 09 January 2010, 14:37:33 »

hi guys and happy new year :)

i wanted an auto and i'd had a vauxhall astra auto previously. nice car but was a standard version (LS if i recall) and also was the worst accelarating car i've ever driven even in sports mode!!!

anyway i crashed it and wrote it off :( but knew i liked vauxhall and looking at the price the omega was an absolute head and tails above the rest. the price, the spec etc. so test drove the one i have now and i just loved it. i feel cocooned and safe as its massive and unlike my old astra (god rest it's soul) it shifts. stick the sports mode and OMG. i dont know much about engines but in sports mode its a deep v6 gggggrrrrrrr which i think sounds beautiful.

my mates have standard peuogeots, vw's etc and my omega is without a doubt the bestspec, fastest etc and when i tell them the proce no one can believe it!!!

so now my perfect two car garage consists of my omega (daisy) and an imported brand new mustang GTO which i will get one day haha :):):)

charlie

• sunderland
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 09 January 2010, 14:45:14 »

I was doing some work at a well known car dealers ,and I was  looking for a car with a towbar and big and powerful enough to pull about a ton.when they took one in part exchange and offered it to me cheap ;D.That was seven years ago.Now im on to my second omega,I carnt think of what i would want to replace it with.Yeah the've got there problems,not the best on fuel,but until recently they have allways gettin me to where i want to go  8-)

zirax

• Intermediate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 09 January 2010, 14:46:13 »

Well my circumstances had changed and I am now doing in the region of 30k per year. Either I would have to get a diesel *shudder* or something running on LPG. The Focus is fine for medium length journeys (150m ish) but with 225m trips back home each weekend, the car was doing it fine but I was rather battered and bruised!

I ended up on this forum following a link from a link from a mate of mine banging on about old 3 series :/ I thought the 3 series was rubbish for the money, 150k, more owners than the village bike and dubious service history. I think it was 2-3k as well!!

Then randomly on the page someone had an omega with a link to the forum. What drew my attention was years back my dad had a Cavalier which was an excellent motor. So I managed to find my MV6 on sale here. After having a quick blast I was sold, it was clear that it was a competant motorway cruiser with enough grunt to stop people not letting me out when overtaking. The main thing is comfort, it is excellent.

A bonus from my point of view is how chuckable the MV6 is! I am quite openly surprised by this having recently had to take a trip down Snake Pass, 50 eh? pffft :D

So far I've changed the cambelt, waterpump, tyres, brakes and oil. All normal stuff really. The way I look at it is to get the equivalent BMW I am probably looking around 5k ish.

The only thought on my mind is what the heck do I replace the car with in a few years time? It's a bugger they stopped selling them here as the only alternative is a premium brand really BMW, Audi, Lexus which have premium running costs.
Dr Richard Stephens:- "I would advise people, if they hurt themselves, to swear."

Steve Webb

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 09 January 2010, 14:59:27 »

seriously who wants an audi anyway?? and bmws are so so so sickeningto look at inside. i do like new mercedes but when you look at the stuff you get with an omega its on the same level as a merc and i love it!!

Steve Webb

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 09 January 2010, 15:22:37 »

Zirax, this is what you want if you ever change your omega :):) and i'm not joking, we only live once and this puppy is on autotrader for under £20k

sparkyw666.

• Intermediate Member
  • aberdeen uk
  • aka mark w
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 09 January 2010, 15:23:31 »

used to drive a mk1 1.8 mondeo auto and wanted something with a lot more grunt . So the omega was the only car in my price range at the time and wow what a car . It still puts a smile on my face when i hit that sports button and floor it :y
v6 cam locking kit  member:y

Jimbob

• Global Moderator
  • Chester / Flintshire
  • I like traffic lights, but only when they're green
    • E250 Est / Golf GTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 09 January 2010, 15:46:51 »

I wanted a large, comfy, fun, cheap estate....

my MV6 hit the bill perfectly.

zirax

• Intermediate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 09 January 2010, 16:09:33 »

Zirax, this is what you want if you ever change your omega :):) and i'm not joking, we only live once and this puppy is on autotrader for under £20k

I seriously love those motors, I had a convertible out in San Francisco a couple of years ago. I got through a tank in about 150 miles :D They also are relatively detuned engines so with little fettling they can be made to silly figures.

I have had people mention the x-type Jags as very cheap for what they are. I've never been in one mind.
Dr Richard Stephens:- "I would advise people, if they hurt themselves, to swear."

Proz

• Omega Baron
  • Largoward , Fife , Scotland
    • Omega-less now :-/
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 09 January 2010, 16:11:05 »

Started with a Cavilier then Carlton ..... didnt know anything about the Omega but liked the look of it ... on my second Omega now  :y
Get yourself Giff Gaff'ed here :-) ...  http://giffgaff.com/orders/affiliate/proz

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • 3.2 Elite 2.0 TitX Mondeo
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 09 January 2010, 17:09:51 »

I bet one reason people hang on to them is because of the vast amount of unselfishly offered advice and assistance freely given by OOF members.

Well done lads, keep it up. :y :y :y
« Last Edit: 09 January 2010, 17:10:28 by ci643215 »

SMD

• Omega Knight
  • London
    • :( nowt
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 09 January 2010, 17:11:15 »

I had no interest in Omegas. Was in desperate need of a car, had to be spacious and it was being sold by someone I knew at a great price! Win all around.

I have decided my next car will be another Omega!  ;D 

Olympia5776

• Omega Baron
  • Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 09 January 2010, 17:27:35 »

Always been a GM man.
Bought my estate over 6 years ago to move here and build our house. It was supposed to be used to carry building materials and then when finished sold on , or given away....!
I bought a van instead when I grew to love the value. comfort and driving pleasure it gave me.
It's getting on now but still gets more attention than new cars over here , has absolutley no rust or marks on it and will hopefully be with me for years to come.

Omegadoha, Desert Member

• Omega Knight
  • Doha, Qatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 09 January 2010, 18:29:45 »

I was at the Honda showroom buying a CR-V for the missus. Omega was sitting there too. I decided to take both.

unlucky mark mv6

• Omega Knight
  • tipton,west mids
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 09 January 2010, 19:53:27 »

Well ive always had vauxhalls mainly and will probably never drive anything else,so after having 2 astras,a cavaliers,and 3 vecs,i suppose the natural next step was a mig,after seeing the 3.2 vec c,but couldent afford one,i thought why not be a bit different,and buy a rwd 3.2 mig,and after all i liked em anyway. ;)
Machine polishing in west mids £40 also body repairs.pm me for more info.

lozzy

• Irmscher UK Sales and Support
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 09 January 2010, 20:47:57 »

for me it was the road presence i had my 1st at 19 it was different im in to modifying cars and i wanted to be different every had corsa and saxos etc also the room inside for my installs and still remain practicle
Irmscher UK Sales and Support

1 Omega Estate 100 speakers :D

spacekid2009

« Reply #33 on: 09 January 2010, 21:21:04 »

bought mine last month, always had soft spot for omegas, but never owned one, i wanted something exec ish that wouldn't break the bank, managed to find  my 2001 Y Plate 2.6 CDX with sensible mileage and service history, i like it that much, that when the time is right, i'll change it for a 3.0 elite, i think they have to be one of the best value cars on the road today and you get a lot of bang for your buck. Ray.

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
  • My Old 3.2 V6 Elite (LPG)
    • Audi A6 Allroad 3.0 DTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 09 January 2010, 21:36:22 »

Used to have a Granada Scorpio ... thought it was brilliant both as a "family car" and a "tow car" ... eventually it got old and tired and needed replacing. I don't like 4X4's but I do a lot of towing so I wanted RWD. My 'van at the time was 1600Kg so I needed something around a tonne in weight. Research came down to a BMW 5 series, a Merc (can't remember which) or the Omega.  Budget then made it either a 3 year old Omega, a 6 year old BMW or an 8 year old Merc... so it was to be an Omega

Found one, test drove it, loved it, bought it, discovered it was a better tow car than the Ford .. much to my surprise. That was the old "Blue" Omega ..

http://www.omegaowners.com/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1187538758

2 years ago, with retirement from the RAF and petrol prices rising rapidly, we made the decision to replace that one with a newer one,  LPG it, and hopefully keep it for 10 years. The idea was to buy an 03 plate 3.2 Elite. Now these are not common and we struggled to find one, eventually RB had one in that looked reasonable so we went to view. It was "alright" (in fact it was in excellent order and a very good car) but it wasn't saying "buy me" .. don't know why. Then Chris spotted this Gold one, with the body kit... and I was hooked. we did the deal and I drove away in a 51 plate instead ... but I was, and still am, exceedingly happy... :)

http://www.omegaowners.com/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1219005172

:) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)
« Last Edit: 09 January 2010, 21:38:11 by entwood »

belldarr

« Reply #35 on: 09 January 2010, 21:52:06 »

I bought my first Omega to replace a bmw 740i, it was a stopgap car to get me to the office each day and leave at airports - I had driven a few Omega's with a previous job as a fleet manager so knew they were pretty good - plus being 6 feet 5 inches I wanted a car I could fit in - now have a black 3.2 Elite that I love and have had most of the common jobs done so it will hopefully be ok for a couple of years yet.

Darren

Radiomarko

• Intermediate Member
  • Sunny Devon
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 09 January 2010, 22:31:43 »

Like belldar I am tall but also rather round  :D so any vehicle needs to be spacious. I had given up with new cars some years ago as thinking about the depreciation made me vomit into my bowl of watery  gruel. Had to be a diesel and not made further east than the Urals.

Autotrader threw up the usual Mondeo crap for a week- then the Omega appeared literally one mile up the road. The owner turned out to be a retired aircraft engineer who had just bought a Vectra... one look at the meticulously kept service records and my wallet came out faster than you can say "sold mate". I can turn a blind eye to the bad respray on a couple of panels as its just so damn comfortable! Hasn't missed a beat in 16 months other than the battery expiring on Christmas eve :P.

Love it!  :y  :-*
I hate seagulls.   

doog

• Omega Knight
  • Alloa Central Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 10 January 2010, 01:48:00 »

I bought mine cos my wife told me she didnt want me to get one  :y

Doug
A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for
me at kick boxing

BigAl

• Bromley, Kent
    • '07 Forester
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 10 January 2010, 03:13:54 »

I had every intention of using the bike in summer, and buying a car for winters - cars I've always fancied (pocket rockets like the old Civic Type-R).

We'd booked a driving holiday to France the following summer, so went for a big cruiser to do the holiday.  Still got it over 6yrs later...
enough about you're shed of a rover  :exclamation

feeutfo

« Reply #39 on: 10 January 2010, 07:30:21 »

a guy who worked in the unit next door bought a 98 2.5 v6cdx saloon which i had a look over. Impressed by the size toys and motor i went to dk motors where he got it and bought a 99 model of the same car.

Very pleased with it bar the fuel economy, so when that reached 145k miles i thought i would try and find something similar but more frugal. The frugal bit was easy but nothing i actually wanted to own, and certainly nothing for similar money.

For me auto trader says it all, put your criterea in the search, there is NOTHING avalable of similar size and spec for the money.

So, another omega it had to be, but with lpg to cover the cars only downside. Took 4 or 5 months of daily searching to find a 3.2 elite at fair money and had to go to Leeds to get a 52 plate in silver. Turned out it had a cid and was actually in oycster, a silver/gold cross, only seen one other omega in that colour. It needed work, exhaust and tyres but couldn't be that fussy for the price and availability. Turns out i beet that Roger Budden omega dealer to it as he was due to view it the next day. Plus TB tells me its an 03 car. Well happy.

Not much in life ticks all the boxs, my car gives me a smile at least twice a day to work and back.

acura

• Lancashire
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 10 January 2010, 09:56:19 »

I've always had Japanese cars but have always admired the Omega.
I bought a 51 plate 2.2 CDX manual in 2003, still under warranty thankfully as it was the most troublesome car I've ever owned. Sold it soon after and went back to Japs. I loved the drive and style of the car though so I was gutted to get shut.
I bought my current car (02 2.2CD auto) cos I needed a heavy car that was cheap to tow a caravan. The only car that ticked all the boxes was the meega.
I've a few issues to put right but as it was a cheap car I don't mind. I do actually love these cars. :P
From Consul 375 to Omega, 30 cars and counting.....

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 10 January 2010, 11:09:23 »

Nah, the lease scheme was run by Ford (seeing as thats where she worked ;)), thus had to have the utterly awful, tiny, shitty Focus.

Although the scheme was dirt cheap, I was secretly pleased it ended, as it made a decision for me - pull out of the cheap car scheme, or tolerate another Focus.

I refused to drive the Focus much - crap 1.6 zetec, probably the worse handling car I've ever driven withe the exception of the FWD Escorts before it - and I include the woeful MkII Astras in that as well!

Both of us used to want to use the Rover - 1.6 was more energetic, it did corners, and a damn site more space inside (except rear seat headroom) and in boot. And more reliable too (always popping into limp, Ford always claimed ECU, but no matter how many times replaced, never resolved).

I thought we just had a bad one, until I drove her brother's 1.8 version (he worked at same place, same scheme). Equally awful, and still embarrassed by the 1.6 in the Rover.

Then, when the MV6 broke down, I had a newer style one as a hire from Dover to home. Improved, but still the lack of precision on day-to-day handling. And the bugger went into limp after a spirited bit of driving, so they hadn't entirely resolved the management system!

So, if a choice between the Rover and the Focus, no brainer.  Choice between the Rover and the equiv aged Astra (-G), Rover every time. Not sure about Astra-H, suspect build - everyone I've been in has been a rattly heap, but all been either hire or company cars, so not looked after.
« Last Edit: 10 January 2010, 11:10:30 by TheBoy »
Grumpy old man

Martin_1962

« Reply #42 on: 10 January 2010, 11:16:07 »

Nah, the lease scheme was run by Ford (seeing as thats where she worked ;)), thus had to have the utterly awful, tiny, shitty Focus.

Although the scheme was dirt cheap, I was secretly pleased it ended, as it made a decision for me - pull out of the cheap car scheme, or tolerate another Focus.

I refused to drive the Focus much - crap 1.6 zetec, probably the worse handling car I've ever driven withe the exception of the FWD Escorts before it - and I include the woeful MkII Astras in that as well!

Both of us used to want to use the Rover - 1.6 was more energetic, it did corners, and a damn site more space inside (except rear seat headroom) and in boot. And more reliable too (always popping into limp, Ford always claimed ECU, but no matter how many times replaced, never resolved).

I thought we just had a bad one, until I drove her brother's 1.8 version (he worked at same place, same scheme). Equally awful, and still embarrassed by the 1.6 in the Rover.

Then, when the MV6 broke down, I had a newer style one as a hire from Dover to home. Improved, but still the lack of precision on day-to-day handling. And the bugger went into limp after a spirited bit of driving, so they hadn't entirely resolved the management system!

So, if a choice between the Rover and the Focus, no brainer.  Choice between the Rover and the equiv aged Astra (-G), Rover every time. Not sure about Astra-H, suspect build - everyone I've been in has been a rattly heap, but all been either hire or company cars, so not looked after.

Worst car I have ever driven - well van but still absolute rubbish.

waspy

« Reply #43 on: 10 January 2010, 11:18:46 »

I've had MK I & MK II Carltons over the years. I love i big cruiser.
My Rover 800 diesel came to end of it's life needing a lift pump so i sourced my Omega. I can honestly say that it's one of the best cars i've owned. Very reliable, excellent on fuel, comfortable, good styling, excellent value for money & safe. What more could you ask for :-/ :-/ :-/ :-/

pscocoa

• Omega Baron
  • Sandhurst Berkshire
    • Volvo V90 D5 AWD
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 10 January 2010, 11:20:46 »

I had a Cavalier, Carlton and Scorpios in the past. When the Scorpio ceased liked the look of the sportier Omegas and just went for it back in 2002.

Key thing was size/ driver comfort plus pleasantly surprised at performance. In fact got my only speeding ticket on test drive of the car I bought when they tracked me down about 3 months later.
[img name=signat_img_resize]http://[/img]

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: 10 January 2010, 11:31:34 »

Worst car I have ever driven - well van but still absolute rubbish.
I would agree.  Suspect this is why many Focus owners say the car is great - they probably had escorts before.

Focus is most disappointing car I've ever driven.  I was expecting it to be more than just an improvement on the escort, I was expecting it to be as good as other cars in class.
Grumpy old man

Miggy24

• Exeter,Devon
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: 10 January 2010, 11:34:53 »

Brought my first omega as i needed something big for me to camp in when i went paintballing at the weekend and also the omegas are big and good looking cars and to be fair my first omega didnt let me down once in the 2 and abit years i had it

gav mv6

• leicestershire
    • m/f irmscher mv6 lpg
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: 10 January 2010, 11:55:49 »

id just sold my 1.9 tdi caddy van that was my only daily as my company went down the pan , was looking to get something very very cheap as money was none existent , my good friend had just upgraded to a brand new car "to keep up with the jones'es" and offered my his old omega didnt think much about it till he told me the price , was 3.0 mv6 auto 65000 miles and just lpg'd .

what can i say great fun , great for towing and cheap to run and still can show up a few moderns  :y
Dam its hard work getting to 250 posts .......

Hannah Judes Dad

• Omega Knight
  • Cleethorpes North East Lincs
    • the misses round the bend
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: 10 January 2010, 12:41:45 »

This is my second Omega and I got for the same reason as mt first it will pull my caravan it is cheap to buy and thanks to this forum is relatively easy to keep running.As most people have stated what else can you get for the spec at the price?.Mine was only £350 which puts it into banger territory but it is one of the best bangers going,yes I know the list of things that need doing to it are more than the car is worth but there is a certain satisfaction of driving a bigger car for the money that doesn't matter in comparison to what else I could have had for the price.
Don't wee on the electric fence

unlucky mark mv6

• Omega Knight
  • tipton,west mids
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: 10 January 2010, 15:19:04 »

A rover can rust quicker than it goes. :D ;)
Machine polishing in west mids £40 also body repairs.pm me for more info.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: 10 January 2010, 18:17:34 »

A rover can rust quicker than it goes. :D ;)
Not a spot of bodywork rust on my Rover, and its never seen a night indoors ;D.  Not many Vauxhalls, let alone Omegas can claim that ;)
Grumpy old man

barclay03

• Intermediate Member
  • Glasgow
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: 10 January 2010, 19:26:03 »

Used to have a carlton diplomat that i never managed to put on the road, but liked it all the same. Was always intrigued by the omegas from that.

Had my fair share of small fast hatchbacks, then found out that i was going to be a father... had a look at various saloons but omegas seemed best value for money.

I mentioned to a someone that i didnt know what to but and thought about an omega - just to happens they had 1 which they were going to sell soon lol A pretty clean looking 2.5CD auto. Broke up with the mrs not long after then sold the omega a few months later.

Ran around in a low and loud civic, then not long after my son was born i got back together with the mrs and it was time for a family car again, had a quick look on ebay and there was a black mini facelift MV6 manual, with FVSH, sittin in a barn in fife... decided i had to have it, and have done since lol

Humpy

• Intermediate Member
  • Tunbridge Wells, Kent
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: 15 January 2010, 20:37:39 »

Like others on the Forum I'm a six footer and not overly slim with it so I've always had big cars. Always had Vauxhalls and Opels (thanks Dad!) don't need a car for work so can afford to run a 3.0L, have an unusual hobby in that I have large scale radio controlled tanks (currently three feet long, soon to be six feet long) so needed an enormous estate! Found a 3.0 Elite manual estate less than two miles away for £500 and it's the best car I've ever owned including the 5 year old £8.5k 24v Senator! Had it now for three odd years, done a bit to it but it's definately been the most reliable car (not always the easiest to fix) and apart from my first car (a 1.8 Viva HC) the cheapest. Others are obviously as impressed as my missus now has a 3.0L Elite saloon and my mate has a 2.5CDX estate and my oldest son is looking at an estate to replace the '04 Renault Scenic which he's fed up with. Can't say any more than that really. Horses for courses.

Humpy

MV6Matt

• Omega Knight
  • London
  • Back in Black. Sensible size this time............
    • Meriva 1.6
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: 16 January 2010, 07:00:53 »

..........cos I wanted another V6 engined Car with room for a growing family................

My previous car to the Mig was a Cavalier saloon which I really enjoyed (wish I could have kept it and had both - even if FWD!).
I think that they are excellent Cars and you get so much 'bang for your buck'.
I've also really, really enjoyed doing all the modding to mine and am very pleased with such a unique 'Meega (and haven't finished yet!)
It's always great fun leaving the boy racer Saxo's at the lights!  :y :y

I agree with the earlier sentiment that it is a great shame they stopped making them.
.......wouldn't mind a VXR8 but can't see it some how.............. ::)
"You only need two tools: WD40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and it should, use WD40. If it moves and it shouldn't, use duct tape"
(thanks Ian)

MV6Matt

• Omega Knight
  • London
  • Back in Black. Sensible size this time............
    • Meriva 1.6
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: 16 January 2010, 07:19:28 »

I agree although GM Australia (Holden) still do.
GM Europe should be kicking themselves, as I bet Volvo are laughing!
Latest Omega - if they'd carried on for Europe
(I guess the Omega C) would probably look like the Omega on here...........
http://www.holden.com.au/vehicles/Sportwagon
 8-) 8-) 8-)

And if you want some real grunt in an estate with big wheels and lots of noise.............try:-
http://www.hsv.com.au/hsv/home/

The new E2 looks a pretty mean set of wheels......................

If I win the lottery, I'll have to get Wilkinshaw to import one.................... ;D ;D

(Off to Dream.........................!)
"You only need two tools: WD40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and it should, use WD40. If it moves and it shouldn't, use duct tape"
(thanks Ian)

Ian_D

• Omega Baron
  • York
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: 18 January 2010, 00:39:30 »

I've always preferred big cars, mainly due to all the luxury toys.

When I past my test just over 4 years ago, I had an Escort for a year, which I then sold and upgraded to a Vectra for the following year. I then decided that I wanted a bigish engine and preferably a V6, so got a Vectra gsi. I had that on the road for around a month, however I got fed up with it and saw my current Omega on ebay. Liked the colour, description sounded genuine, and the price was reasonable (which I also managed to barter down a little too!).

Exactly 2 years on and I've still got the Omega. And thankfully the insurance is now dropping in price as I've got a couple of years NCB, and few years driving experience (Being 21 has its disadvantages!).

I keep thinking about selling the Omega, but cant bring myself to it! I’m too attached to it! And the only reason really for me to change it is because of the MPG I get (or lack of!) driving across town to work, which is expected I guess really, however I didn’t work at the other side of town when I bought her!
[size=12]
LMF are utter rubbish - dont buy steering idlers from them! You've been warned![/size]

ferrari jason

• Skelmersdale
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: 18 January 2010, 08:28:20 »

I`m on my second omega the first a facelift 2.5 td was bought because at the time i was on the taxi`s and i wanted a 5 series bmw till i saw the price  >:( then a friend in a local garage reccommended the omega as it had the same engine as the bm . it took me 4 months but eventually i found a late w reg 2.5td elite spec it was only just 3 years old and cost £4500. After giving up on the cabs i bought the 3.2 ex plod i lost all the elite toys but just the engine and manual box put a big grin on my face  :y . Ive always had big cars because of the cabs e.g the prvious ones were a rover 825 td and before that a granada diesel but out of the three the omega won hands down.  :y
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All]   Go Up

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 18 queries.