Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All   Go Down

Author Topic: What made you buy an Omega?  (Read 4662 times)

Martin_1962

Re: What made you buy an Omega?
« Reply #15 on: 09 January 2010, 14:02:52 »

Logical progression from Carltons

ScottieMV6

• Omega Knight
  • Swinton, Manchester
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 09 January 2010, 14:08:41 »

I had 4 Carlton GSi 3000's so guess the omega was just a natural progression. Had 3 x 3.0 Elite autos before finding my current MV6 3.0 manual. :y :y
I'd rather be scared to death than bored to death!!

cruisetopoland

• Omega Knight
  • UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 09 January 2010, 14:28:53 »

The Omega is the biggest car I have owned.

I bought it because we have a young son and needed a car that was big enough for my wife and I, our son and Parents, plus space for pushchair and luggage.  We wanted a cheap car with reasonable safety, which we could both drive long distances comfortably, that was not too expensive to buy, run, insure or repair.

Our trips to Poland mean we wanted something subtle so as not to get it stolen; the Omega is LHD and Opel over there making our LHD Vauxhall variant harder to "lose".

I viewed a few and told a friend about the obviously clocked one I saw that day; he told another friend in the pub, that friend had just taken one in px and had come to the pub in it.  It seemed ok, bar some works, so I bought it and so started "the list" which goes on still...

Without OOF, our Omega would have been sold long ago, but with help, support and advice from members it has been possible to bring an older, worn car up to a reliable and serviceable standard good enough for demanding, fully loaded distance trips.

I like it more day by day.
« Last Edit: 09 January 2010, 14:29:17 by geoffharvey »

Steve Webb

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 09 January 2010, 14:37:33 »

hi guys and happy new year :)

i wanted an auto and i'd had a vauxhall astra auto previously. nice car but was a standard version (LS if i recall) and also was the worst accelarating car i've ever driven even in sports mode!!!

anyway i crashed it and wrote it off :( but knew i liked vauxhall and looking at the price the omega was an absolute head and tails above the rest. the price, the spec etc. so test drove the one i have now and i just loved it. i feel cocooned and safe as its massive and unlike my old astra (god rest it's soul) it shifts. stick the sports mode and OMG. i dont know much about engines but in sports mode its a deep v6 gggggrrrrrrr which i think sounds beautiful.

my mates have standard peuogeots, vw's etc and my omega is without a doubt the bestspec, fastest etc and when i tell them the proce no one can believe it!!!

so now my perfect two car garage consists of my omega (daisy) and an imported brand new mustang GTO which i will get one day haha :):):)

charlie

• sunderland
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 09 January 2010, 14:45:14 »

I was doing some work at a well known car dealers ,and I was  looking for a car with a towbar and big and powerful enough to pull about a ton.when they took one in part exchange and offered it to me cheap ;D.That was seven years ago.Now im on to my second omega,I carnt think of what i would want to replace it with.Yeah the've got there problems,not the best on fuel,but until recently they have allways gettin me to where i want to go  8-)

zirax

• Intermediate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 09 January 2010, 14:46:13 »

Well my circumstances had changed and I am now doing in the region of 30k per year. Either I would have to get a diesel *shudder* or something running on LPG. The Focus is fine for medium length journeys (150m ish) but with 225m trips back home each weekend, the car was doing it fine but I was rather battered and bruised!

I ended up on this forum following a link from a link from a mate of mine banging on about old 3 series :/ I thought the 3 series was rubbish for the money, 150k, more owners than the village bike and dubious service history. I think it was 2-3k as well!!

Then randomly on the page someone had an omega with a link to the forum. What drew my attention was years back my dad had a Cavalier which was an excellent motor. So I managed to find my MV6 on sale here. After having a quick blast I was sold, it was clear that it was a competant motorway cruiser with enough grunt to stop people not letting me out when overtaking. The main thing is comfort, it is excellent.

A bonus from my point of view is how chuckable the MV6 is! I am quite openly surprised by this having recently had to take a trip down Snake Pass, 50 eh? pffft :D

So far I've changed the cambelt, waterpump, tyres, brakes and oil. All normal stuff really. The way I look at it is to get the equivalent BMW I am probably looking around 5k ish.

The only thought on my mind is what the heck do I replace the car with in a few years time? It's a bugger they stopped selling them here as the only alternative is a premium brand really BMW, Audi, Lexus which have premium running costs.
Dr Richard Stephens:- "I would advise people, if they hurt themselves, to swear."

Steve Webb

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 09 January 2010, 14:59:27 »

seriously who wants an audi anyway?? and bmws are so so so sickeningto look at inside. i do like new mercedes but when you look at the stuff you get with an omega its on the same level as a merc and i love it!!

Steve Webb

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 09 January 2010, 15:22:37 »

Zirax, this is what you want if you ever change your omega :):) and i'm not joking, we only live once and this puppy is on autotrader for under £20k

sparkyw666.

• Intermediate Member
  • aberdeen uk
  • aka mark w
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 09 January 2010, 15:23:31 »

used to drive a mk1 1.8 mondeo auto and wanted something with a lot more grunt . So the omega was the only car in my price range at the time and wow what a car . It still puts a smile on my face when i hit that sports button and floor it :y
v6 cam locking kit  member:y

Jimbob

• Global Moderator
  • Chester / Flintshire
  • I like traffic lights, but only when they're green
    • E250 Est / Golf GTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 09 January 2010, 15:46:51 »

I wanted a large, comfy, fun, cheap estate....

my MV6 hit the bill perfectly.

zirax

• Intermediate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 09 January 2010, 16:09:33 »

Zirax, this is what you want if you ever change your omega :):) and i'm not joking, we only live once and this puppy is on autotrader for under £20k

I seriously love those motors, I had a convertible out in San Francisco a couple of years ago. I got through a tank in about 150 miles :D They also are relatively detuned engines so with little fettling they can be made to silly figures.

I have had people mention the x-type Jags as very cheap for what they are. I've never been in one mind.
Dr Richard Stephens:- "I would advise people, if they hurt themselves, to swear."

Proz

• Omega Baron
  • Largoward , Fife , Scotland
    • Omega-less now :-/
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 09 January 2010, 16:11:05 »

Started with a Cavilier then Carlton ..... didnt know anything about the Omega but liked the look of it ... on my second Omega now  :y
Get yourself Giff Gaff'ed here :-) ...  http://giffgaff.com/orders/affiliate/proz

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • 3.2 Elite 2.0 TitX Mondeo
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 09 January 2010, 17:09:51 »

I bet one reason people hang on to them is because of the vast amount of unselfishly offered advice and assistance freely given by OOF members.

Well done lads, keep it up. :y :y :y
« Last Edit: 09 January 2010, 17:10:28 by ci643215 »

SMD

• Omega Knight
  • London
    • :( nowt
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 09 January 2010, 17:11:15 »

I had no interest in Omegas. Was in desperate need of a car, had to be spacious and it was being sold by someone I knew at a great price! Win all around.

I have decided my next car will be another Omega!  ;D 

Olympia5776

• Omega Baron
  • Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 09 January 2010, 17:27:35 »

Always been a GM man.
Bought my estate over 6 years ago to move here and build our house. It was supposed to be used to carry building materials and then when finished sold on , or given away....!
I bought a van instead when I grew to love the value. comfort and driving pleasure it gave me.
It's getting on now but still gets more attention than new cars over here , has absolutley no rust or marks on it and will hopefully be with me for years to come.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 18 queries.