Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Repair Help / Advice for Golf reversing camera  (Read 2493 times)

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • Too many, mostly broken
    • View Profile
Re: Repair Help / Advice for Golf reversing camera
« Reply #15 on: 31 December 2022, 09:41:54 »

Regardless of the repair method, it's clear that some extra support is needed on the wires, whether that's something like a 2 part epoxy putty or something more flexible like hot glue. I would say this also holds true if you end up replacing it entirely. Looks like a fairly poor design as sold.

I don't necessarily agree with DG that you must be able to disassemble it, it could be that Skoda use that camera in a housing that you can unbolt/take apart whereas VW build it into the handle and then use some sort of potting compound to hold it all in place, making it effectively one part.

Of course you can always get things apart, it just depends what you're left with when you've done it   :o.

If you can disassemble go for it, but I'd be giving it to a repair shop/someone who can solder before I tried to break apart the housing to retrieve the camera.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 31 December 2022, 10:47:48 »

It wasn't 3d printed magically into a working handle assembly  ;D
Onanists always think outside the box.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 31 December 2022, 11:42:09 »

Regardless of the repair method, it's clear that some extra support is needed on the wires, whether that's something like a 2 part epoxy putty or something more flexible like hot glue. I would say this also holds true if you end up replacing it entirely. Looks like a fairly poor design as sold.

I don't necessarily agree with DG that you must be able to disassemble it, it could be that Skoda use that camera in a housing that you can unbolt/take apart whereas VW build it into the handle and then use some sort of potting compound to hold it all in place, making it effectively one part.

Of course you can always get things apart, it just depends what you're left with when you've done it   :o.

If you can disassemble go for it, but I'd be giving it to a repair shop/someone who can solder before I tried to break apart the housing to retrieve the camera.
At the very least, removing the camera assembly from the handle assembly must make it easier to work on, unless I am missing something  ???

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 31 December 2022, 12:48:21 »

Equally, it was designed to be assembled once and disposed of with the rest of the car. Which in turn means it might be possible to disassemble it in a way that doesn't look like it was run over by a truck.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 31 December 2022, 12:49:46 »

Equally, it was designed to be assembled once and disposed of with the rest of the car. Which in turn means it might be possible to disassemble it in a way that doesn't look like it was run over by a truck.
It’s a VW... Designed is a stretch...

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 31 December 2022, 13:41:09 »

It’s a VW... Designed is a stretch...

It's a modern VW so it's typically German: fiddly, complex, needs regular and complicated maintenance, expensive and works perfectly if - and only if - you follow the mandated 15 step procedure  to operate something that could be done by pulling a length of string.

Jimbob

• Global Moderator
  • Chester / Flintshire
  • I like traffic lights, but only when they're green
    • E250 Est / Golf GTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 02 January 2023, 12:28:34 »

Camera is back in and working again.

It has had more plastic scraped away, been soldered much better, and packed with hot glue to try and protect and take some strain of that, and the other cables which are starting to go as well. (Thanks Mark)

All without removing the camera module which wouldn't offer much help at this stage.

If it goes again, then I think it will be try and source a new camera, if it can be done for a reasonable cost.  Found a few from China on Ali Express etc
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.031 seconds with 21 queries.