Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Interior trim  (Read 4235 times)

DezB

• Derby
    • 52 2.2 CD Auto
    • View Profile
Interior trim
« on: 13 June 2015, 16:29:21 »

I expect that this has been asked before but I can't seem to find a definitive answer.

I need to run a usb cable from behind the centre mirror, along the inside of the headlining and down behind either the dashboard or one of the front pillars for a camera.

I've removed the mirror and the centre light unit where there is a perfect gap to run the cable out to the camera but it's the rest of it that I'm having difficulty with

Before I start pulling at the trim can someone tell me the easiest way to remove the trim so that I can run the cable please?

Many thanks

DezB

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
Re: Interior trim
« Reply #1 on: 13 June 2015, 19:21:36 »

Do you need the USB cable, or is it just to power the camera? Mine uses a 12v to mini USB adapter wired into an ignition switched live(actually the sun roof wiring)behind the courtesy light. This avoided the need to run the cable across the car, down the roof pillar and behind the dash. Much easier and neater. Cost about 3quid off Ebay

DezB

• Derby
    • 52 2.2 CD Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 13 June 2015, 19:42:20 »

Hi Nick

That's a thought, I don't have a sun roof but guess I could run it off the live feed to the centre light.  I'll take a look on ebay to see what they have got.

Really appreciate your response.

Kind regards

DezB

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile

05omegav6

« Reply #4 on: 13 June 2015, 21:02:35 »

DezB

• Derby
    • 52 2.2 CD Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 13 June 2015, 21:55:31 »

Hi All

All your help, Much appreciated.  I'll now tackle this with a lot more confidence.

Best wishes

DezB

VXL V6

• Omega Lord
  • Solihull
    • 530D M Sport, Elite 3.2
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 13 June 2015, 22:12:00 »

Just tucked the power feed (and GPS cable) for mine under the headlining and down behind the trim on the A pillar then down the door rubber, under the dash panel and then though a transformer to a live feed.

You don't need to remove the headlining, just tuck the cable(s) up under the headlining, pull the A trim off and tape the cables to the pillar then replace the trim.

05omegav6

« Reply #7 on: 13 June 2015, 22:35:39 »

I referenced the guide as it details how the headlining is mounted... iirc (and I wrote the damn thing ::)) :y

To remove it in order to run a single wire is border line moronic ;D

Personally I would follow Nicks advice and use the sunroof motor loom... it will be taped up as a foam lump... a single 4x2 plug iirc, about an inch across :y it might not be obvious, but it's there...

DezB

• Derby
    • 52 2.2 CD Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 28 June 2015, 12:42:08 »

Hi Harris K Telemacher

I've had a good poke around behind the courtesy light and can only find the wiring as in the photo:

Am I on the right track here, I was thinking of splicing into the red and black on the courtesy lights.  If I could have found the Sunroof plug I could have used that directly. Any idea what the black plug with the brown and red wires feeds?

Thanks again.

DezB

Phil L

• Intermediate Member
  • Hitchin
    • 2003 2.6 Elite estate
    • View Profile
Wishing I'd not sold the 67 Mustang...

DezB

• Derby
    • 52 2.2 CD Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 28 June 2015, 17:13:44 »

Hi
This is the one I've just bought, arrived in just a few days, seems to be good quality:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/130978719862?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

DezB

05omegav6

« Reply #11 on: 29 June 2015, 13:24:35 »

Hi Harris K Telemacher

I've had a good poke around behind the courtesy light and can only find the wiring as in the photo:

Am I on the right track here, I was thinking of splicing into the red and black on the courtesy lights.  If I could have found the Sunroof plug I could have used that directly. Any idea what the black plug with the brown and red wires feeds?

Thanks again.

DezB
That's the illuminated vanity mirrors...

Obviously didn't pull the bloody great lump of loom behind it in the pic then... ::)

There are three more plugs up there:

Sunroof loom
Autodipping mirror loom
Rainsensor loom

Keep looking :y

DezB

• Derby
    • 52 2.2 CD Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 01 July 2015, 08:11:59 »

Hi

You're right, I didn't pull anything else out as there is a large block of foam in the way and the last thing I wanted to do was break anything, (it wouldn't be the first time!).

I'll take another look shortly.

Thanks again.

DezB

DezB

• Derby
    • 52 2.2 CD Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 04 July 2015, 18:02:15 »

Hi Harris

You're a genius, found it behind the large block of foam.

Can you please tell me what this plug does and the name of the its opposite type?  I thought I could then wire one up accordingly and just plug it in; simples....

Kind regards

DezB

05omegav6

« Reply #14 on: 04 July 2015, 21:14:02 »

That might supply pos, neg, closing and speedo inputs to the sunroof motor... ::)

As for it's opposite end... That will probably be the, er, sunroof motor ::)

Although that said, that shape plug could also be for the auto dimming mirror loom :-\

Difficult to tell from here,  but I have a feeling that the sunroof motor wiring is a heavier grade pos and neg :-\

Should be another two plugs up there...
« Last Edit: 04 July 2015, 21:17:20 by Harris K Telemacher »

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 04 July 2015, 21:42:35 »

Dez, as you're not going to be fitting a sunroof, use a multimeter to check which wires are  an ignition switched positive and  an earth. Cut those just behind the plug and use them for the camera.

05omegav6

« Reply #16 on: 05 July 2015, 01:11:35 »

Dez, as you're not going to be fitting a sunroof, use a multimeter to check which wires are  an ignition switched positive and  an earth. Cut those just behind the plug and use them for the camera.
Be prudent to confirm that it is the sunroof plug first first... Easiest way to do that is to locate and identify the other two spare plugs :y

DezB

• Derby
    • 52 2.2 CD Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 05 July 2015, 10:43:18 »

Hi

The one in the photo is a "block" style plug, the other two are flat style plugs.  What I meant in my previous reply was, is there a name for that particular style of plug, i.e in computer terms, (more up my street), Molex or SATA.  What I had thought of doing was trying to fine its matching other half and using that to just plug the camera in. I do like things neat and tidy I have to admit.

As was also previously mentioned though it does seem to make more sense to just remove the block plug and utilise the wires with a different plug/socket.

Hope this makes more sense as to what I am trying to achieve, apologies if it's just waffle though.

Many thanks.

DezB

05omegav6

« Reply #18 on: 05 July 2015, 15:06:14 »

Ok if you have definitely found two unused flat plugs, then that one IS the sunroof one :y
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up

Page created in 0.05 seconds with 18 queries.