Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: drainage  (Read 961 times)

lesask

• london
    • omega 2.6cdx
    • View Profile
drainage
« on: 28 February 2013, 14:58:24 »

hi, Les here. Took my car through the car wash, tons of water poured into the passenger side foot well. drove home, popped bonnet and located the drainage hole on the driver side and checked, its like a rubber disc with a slit in it, i checked it and it was fine, so then i went to the offending side, took off the bulk head top seal thing that comes off easy and opened the little door where the cabin filter lives, ok i checked in this area and i can see lots of crap at the bottom of this void and what looks and feels like another rubber disc covered in muck, assuming this must be the drain i fiddled with it with a stick and long screw driver, i was careful not to damage it, but i cant feel any kind of slit in it, it is definitely a rubber thing, is at the bottom of this void but it dosnt give way to my stick or screw driver, so either im wrong and this is not the drainage hole or im doing something wrong, anyone know what im talking about please, i clearly need to identify the drainage and clear it, ive got loads of water now in my cabin to dry out. thanks everyone. LES

Carfix

• Malmesbury, Wiltshire
    • 1997 & 1998 Omega Elites
    • View Profile
Re: drainage
« Reply #1 on: 28 February 2013, 15:18:24 »

Welcome to the very common problem of blocked drain outlet in the pollen filter/scuttle housing.

There is a massive amount of posts regarding this issue if you use the "search" facility. (Type in "scuttle drain").

There is a rubber bung with a slit/hole in it as you have identified but it blocks up very easily. I use a hose pipe to dislodge the gunge. It is difficult to actually get at it with a screw driver as it is deep down in the void and under the wiring loom.

Keep perservering and once it is clear check the housing on a regular basis to avoid a repeat.

Good luck :y
« Last Edit: 28 February 2013, 15:21:50 by Carfix »

RobG

• Omega Queen
  • Bristol
  • I might have a link, pic or part number for that
    • 16 plate Mokka. Vivaro
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 28 February 2013, 15:35:18 »

Easier just to remove the rubber outlet
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

UPVC windows/doors/fascias/soffit/gutters supplied/fitted

twiglet

• Omega Baron
  • Norwich, Norfolk
  • 2008 BMW E61 535D LCi M Sport
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 28 February 2013, 16:14:26 »

It doesn't matter how far you push the envelope, it will always be stationery...

lesask

• london
    • omega 2.6cdx
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 28 February 2013, 16:41:59 »

hi Les here. i was right about the item, i pushed it right through, then located it sitting on a bit of box metal, then washed it and put it back and chucked water down there and it drained away. but now my cabin filter is wet, and it is brand new, is it ok to dry it out on the radiator?, anyway ive taken out the top carpet and drying on the radiator and then pulled back the under carpet which exposes a hard plastic flooring and a wire loom run which is also under a hard plastic run cover, there is some wetness here, i have now got a fan heater running in the car, i want to dry it all out as best i can, ive left a window open to allow any condensation to escape. ive i done right, i think i have. thanks. les.

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
  • My Old 3.2 V6 Elite (LPG)
    • Audi A6 Allroad 3.0 DTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 28 February 2013, 17:57:04 »

Make sure you get it dry soonest, especially under the carpets .. the soundproofing can hold a lot of water and it will stink if not dried properly.

Only other risk you have is the possibility that the fan speed controller may have been damaged ..they don't like getting wet .... but you won't find that out until it fails .. little you can do about it now .. :(

robson

• Omega Knight
  • Nr Ashford Kent
    • 2.6 facelift 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 28 February 2013, 21:48:48 »

I avoid using a hose pipe in this area as on my last omega I managed to get water into the fan and shortly afterwards the fan controller  failed . Be very careful where you put any water in this area,

Carfix

• Malmesbury, Wiltshire
    • 1997 & 1998 Omega Elites
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 02 March 2013, 10:32:31 »

A quick and simple tip if you are using a hose pipe to unblock the drain plug.

I have made a guard from thin plastic sheet (hard type) that simply slots over the pollen filter. It then protects the filter from any water over spray.

However, even with this guard in place you still need to watch carefully that you don't totally flood the area.

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.028 seconds with 22 queries.