Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Aux Belt Tensioner  (Read 4425 times)

ClarCE

• Newbury, Berks
  • Cam Covers x 5
    • View Profile
Aux Belt Tensioner
« on: 26 February 2007, 09:16:13 »

Morning all,

Got to change this ats is squealing like a goodun - £42.30 from AutoVaux, does this sound ok?  Also - anything else I will need besides the actual tensioner?

Cheers,

Chris.
So Far - :: Re-Finished Elite Wheels :: Black Leather Interior :: 3.0 Cams :: Chipped (REMOVED, EBAY SHI*E) :: Facelift Skirts ::
To Do   - :: Facelift Rear Bumper, Door Mouldings :: Irsmsher Front Air Da

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
Re: Aux Belt Tensioner
« Reply #1 on: 26 February 2007, 09:24:35 »

Morning all,

Got to change this ats is squealing like a goodun - £42.30 from AutoVaux, does this sound ok?  Also - anything else I will need besides the actual tensioner?

Cheers,

Chris.
Sure you don't need just the pulley, as its much cheaper (and easier to change ;)), or is the spring weak?  Didn't see state of your aux belt, but if old, may be worth replacing....
Grumpy old man

ClarCE

• Newbury, Berks
  • Cam Covers x 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 26 February 2007, 09:28:20 »

It could be, spring is really tough - we changed the belt at the weekend (I say we, I mean James ;) ) I'll see what they quote me for one of them instead...

BTW, did you get that harddrive mate?
So Far - :: Re-Finished Elite Wheels :: Black Leather Interior :: 3.0 Cams :: Chipped (REMOVED, EBAY SHI*E) :: Facelift Skirts ::

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 26 February 2007, 09:31:41 »

It could be, spring is really tough - we changed the belt at the weekend (I say we, I mean James ;) ) I'll see what they quote me for one of them instead...

BTW, did you get that harddrive mate?
Yes, I got HDD, thanks :y
Grumpy old man

ClarCE

• Newbury, Berks
  • Cam Covers x 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 26 February 2007, 09:48:58 »

Good good :D

I'm going to change the whole assembly anyway I think, just because its old and I'll have more peice of mind on it!  Worry too much...

Cheers for the help  :y

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 26 February 2007, 09:52:39 »

Never seen the main assembly fail....only the pulley which is available seperately for about 20 quid....

Essex_Andy

• Have a guess?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 26 February 2007, 16:31:14 »

Have you removed the pulley from the assembly, removed the grease seal and re-greased the bearings?

Its an easy job and cheaper than new bits...its shown on the cambelt DVD
If an artic overtakes you, you're driving too slow!!!!!!!!!!!

ClarCE

• Newbury, Berks
  • Cam Covers x 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 26 February 2007, 16:44:01 »

I'm going to do a few bits tonight, so I'll check it out properly and then buy whatever it is I need accordingly :)

Thanks for all the help on this one - as usual!

Chris.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 26 February 2007, 16:59:14 »

Have you removed the pulley from the assembly, removed the grease seal and re-greased the bearings?

Its an easy job and cheaper than new bits...its shown on the cambelt DVD
After one that was regreased may have caused a aux belt to fail causing other damage, I believe the recommendation is now to replace one which is dry/noisy/play...
Grumpy old man

Essex_Andy

• Have a guess?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 26 February 2007, 17:03:31 »

Can you put a 'sticky' up then as people are being recommended to buy the DVD and its one of the top-tips on the DVD

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 26 February 2007, 17:10:45 »

Can you put a 'sticky' up then as people are being recommended to buy the DVD and its one of the top-tips on the DVD
I will clarify what the current thinking is....
Grumpy old man

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 26 February 2007, 17:29:56 »

At the end of the day, the DVD says how to sort a dry bearing.....if the aux belt feels rough then thats a very different kettle of fish....We will add some comments in the maintenance guide to help clarify things.

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 26 February 2007, 17:57:21 »

At the end of the day, the DVD says how to sort a dry bearing.....if the aux belt feels rough then thats a very different kettle of fish....We will add some comments in the maintenance guide to help clarify things.
I've not seen the DVD but a bit of grease in the bearing of my tesioner shut it up. Mine wasn't too bad, just a little dry sounding when you spun it - probably no surprise as it was a dry as a witches ..... when I prised the dust seal off. The likes of SKF etc all seem to be a bit stingy with the grease.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 26 February 2007, 18:53:43 »

I guess there is a judgement that needs to be made between dry and one thats worn...
Grumpy old man

JamesV6CDX

• Omega Queen
  • Gloucestershire/Buckinghamshire
    • Omega 3.2 Retail MV6 LPG
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 26 February 2007, 20:31:18 »

This aux belt we fitted, as an autovaux one.. and to be honest, as remarked at the time of fitting, it did feel like it was putting a tad too much strain on the tensioner.

Before you go ahead and replace, may be worth thinking about the belt...

Bo Bo

• Omega Baron
  • Coventry
  • Here's another nice mess you've gotten me into!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 26 February 2007, 20:34:34 »

This aux belt we fitted, as an autovaux one.. and to be honest, as remarked at the time of fitting, it did feel like it was putting a tad too much strain on the tensioner.

Maybe this could be my problem too, mine was from there & we thought it was a bit tight after fitting....
Where would we be without rhetorical questions?!

JamesV6CDX

• Omega Queen
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 26 February 2007, 20:36:58 »

Maybe this could be my problem too, mine was from there & we thought it was a bit tight after fitting....

I've actually had this same problem with lots of V6 aux belts from Autovaux

One actually wouldn't even go on my 2.5, even though it was supposedly the right belt..

I think they put too much strain on the tensioners..

Recommend changing for genuine GM belt first off if there are issues..

Bo Bo

• Omega Baron
  • Coventry
  • Here's another nice mess you've gotten me into!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 26 February 2007, 21:16:04 »

I've actually had this same problem with lots of V6 aux belts from Autovaux

One actually wouldn't even go on my 2.5, even though it was supposedly the right belt..

I think they put too much strain on the tensioners..

Recommend changing for genuine GM belt first off if there are issues..
Will do, but hold onto that tensioner for me just in case  :y
Where would we be without rhetorical questions?!

Damonsal

• West Sussex
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 26 February 2007, 23:24:13 »

Thats very interesting..
I installed an Aux belt from Autovaux at the weekend and it was very tight fitting too - hardly get it on, it has now become noisy at idle..

ClarCE

• Newbury, Berks
  • Cam Covers x 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 27 February 2007, 10:37:57 »

Right, had a good look last night, got the belt off after lots of struggling - tensioner is knackered, its stopped springing back now - the new belt must have been so tight (literally 2mm of play) that its ruined the springing mechanism somehow and the pully bearings look like they've been spinning dry for ages - its VERY noisy! .. So, new tensioner on the way and picking up a belt from vx dealer this afternoon..

joy, joy..

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 27 February 2007, 10:42:06 »

i had the complete opposite effect from the belt change at the weekend, mine has gone from being very noise to silent!

When James had put the cambelt on, I wanted to hear the engine running without the aux belt on. I was amazed at how quite it was, then on with the new belt, and it was still a lot quieter!

I must say looking at how loose my belt was I was very lucky, the engine feels tighter now!

JamesV6CDX

• Omega Queen
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 27 February 2007, 17:59:44 »

Hmm... maybe we need a sticky about not using autovaux belts on the V6's, if they are killing older tensioners...

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 27 February 2007, 18:51:59 »

Hmm... maybe we need a sticky about not using autovaux belts on the V6's, if they are killing older tensioners...
Its possible the belt is tighter just because its new?  Maybe a genuine belt would be as tight?
Grumpy old man

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 27 February 2007, 19:23:50 »

How do the part numbers compare?

Most belt part numbers have a length in millimetres embedded in them. For example, one I have kicking around in the garage (Not from an Omega I hasten to add!) has a part number 092506. It's 925 mm long and is for a multi-vee sprocket with 6 grooves in it. It also has a Halfords part number of HB925g.

It might be worth comparing the old and new and see if they have different lengths.

Kevin
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Taxi_Driver

« Reply #24 on: 27 February 2007, 20:01:50 »

Ive had the same prob, buying aux belts from motoring outlets. A certain one will sell me the wrong belt everytime.....too tight.....the first time this happened my mechanic got it on......but wouldnt leave it on.....it maxed the tensioner to the limit.....told me to take it back and ask for next size up.....which i did....shop insisted the next size up was the wrong one.....but it fitted fine....tensioner was about 1/2 way on its travel.....mechanic happy with it.....so was i  :y

Also consider if the belts too tight......its also putting more stress and strain on the other bearings.....like alternator...power steering....etc.....

This was on my merc.....but the same applies....and imo if the belt is too tight get it changed for next size up or use vx belts.....may cost a few quid more but better than knackering other bearings.  :y

ClarCE

• Newbury, Berks
  • Cam Covers x 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 28 February 2007, 00:09:58 »

I've changed the belt and the tensioner on mine now, felt good finally doing some stuff myself - apart from stabbing my self with a screwdriver on the last friggin jubilee clip putting it back together!

Anyhow, the belt looked to be the same size so I thought it could have been a waste of money, however it was a lot easier to get on, and the tensioner is not as highly sprung (although its new so they may have modded it somehow)

I have got a rather large problem though - James will remember from the party that one of my bolts holding the tensioner on was wrong, it was a 17mm socket - not an E14 (I think) so the cowboys who last had it off used the wrong one.  This bolt has now ripped the threads out of wherever it bolts into - so now I only have one rather than two bolts securing the tensioner to the block.

God knows how it happened as I certainly didn't even get to tighten the blasted thing up, it was just spinning and spinning, then I took it out and noticed the threads wrapped around the bolt itself!

It seems ok, but what do you guys think?  Its the bottom of the two bolts thats now missing :( Is there anyway (save replacing the engine) that this might be rectified?  Just typical really, I do one job and manage to create an even bigger one!

Cheers,

Chris.

JamesV6CDX

• Omega Queen
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 28 February 2007, 00:16:41 »

I've changed the belt and the tensioner on mine now, felt good finally doing some stuff myself - apart from stabbing my self with a screwdriver on the last friggin jubilee clip putting it back together!

Anyhow, the belt looked to be the same size so I thought it could have been a waste of money, however it was a lot easier to get on, and the tensioner is not as highly sprung (although its new so they may have modded it somehow)

I have got a rather large problem though - James will remember from the party that one of my bolts holding the tensioner on was wrong, it was a 17mm socket - not an E14 (I think) so the cowboys who last had it off used the wrong one.  This bolt has now ripped the threads out of wherever it bolts into - so now I only have one rather than two bolts securing the tensioner to the block.

God knows how it happened as I certainly didn't even get to tighten the blasted thing up, it was just spinning and spinning, then I took it out and noticed the threads wrapped around the bolt itself!

It seems ok, but what do you guys think?  Its the bottom of the two bolts thats now missing :( Is there anyway (save replacing the engine) that this might be rectified?  Just typical really, I do one job and manage to create an even bigger one!

Cheers,

Chris.

Right..

I can only imagine you may have cross threaded the 17mm bolt without realising it..

When I re-fitted this bolt, it WAS the correct thread - I compared it against the original. BUT the thread wasn't as long as it should be. The bolt torqued up OK at the time, so I can only imagine it's crossed... hopefully on the thread of the bolt and not in the hole

The best bet, is to try and remove it, and re-fit an original T14 (or whatever it is) bolt. This will have a much longer thread, and should hopefully bite. I sincerely hope it's not snapped off in the hole?

If so.. it could be a big job.. from memory. this tensioner bolts onto the cylinder head, and there is no access down there to drill it.. so it would be a head-off job to fix - not a job that can happen in an afternoon!

Can you confirm that nothing is snapped off in the hole? Best bet is to drive it as little as possible (That tensioner won't be 100% secure, (or on the correct angle) with just one bolt, and the belt could run off..

I need to have a look at this with you ASAP, maybe even before the rocker gaskets..

JamesV6CDX

• Omega Queen
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 28 February 2007, 00:20:36 »

Reading your above post, I think you'll get away with it.

The bolt with the 17mm head was VERY short, the proper Vx bolts are MUCH longer.

This means you'll have only taken off one or two turns of thread inside the hole....

99% sure you'll be OK with this one mate.

Go to VX at your first opportunity, and get the right bolt. It should just go in and tighten (may be a bit tricky to start).. but I think you'll be fine.

If not, back to Plan B, I'll investigate it with you mate.

Presumably everything else is OK? I can definately confirm from what we saw, that a herd of cowboys have attacked your car at some point :(

ClarCE

• Newbury, Berks
  • Cam Covers x 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 28 February 2007, 00:21:47 »

Cheers,

Chris.

Right..

I can only imagine you may have cross threaded the 17mm bolt without realising it..

When I re-fitted this bolt, it WAS the correct thread - I compared it against the original. BUT the thread wasn't as long as it should be. The bolt torqued up OK at the time, so I can only imagine it's crossed... hopefully on the thread of the bolt and not in the hole

The best bet, is to try and remove it, and re-fit an original T14 (or whatever it is) bolt. This will have a much longer thread, and should hopefully bite. I sincerely hope it's not snapped off in the hole?

If so.. it could be a big job.. from memory. this tensioner bolts onto the cylinder head, and there is no access down there to drill it.. so it would be a head-off job to fix - not a job that can happen in an afternoon!

Can you confirm that nothing is snapped off in the hole? Best bet is to drive it as little as possible (That tensioner won't be 100% secure, (or on the correct angle) with just one bolt, and the belt could run off..

I need to have a look at this with you ASAP, maybe even before the rocker gaskets..

Hi James, cheers for the speedy response!

I could try taking it apart and swapping the bolt from top to bottom to see if I can get any bite on it - this would also reveal any bolt left in the block as it wouldn't go in I'm guessing - the end of the bolt that was the wrong one certainly doesn't look like its snapped - I guess the reason its done it is because there wasn't enough threads being locked on to - too much pressure on too little threads?

Cheers,

Chris.

ClarCE

• Newbury, Berks
  • Cam Covers x 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 28 February 2007, 00:24:53 »

The bolt with the 17mm head was VERY short, the proper Vx bolts are MUCH longer.

This means you'll have only taken off one or two turns of thread inside the hole....

Go to VX at your first opportunity, and get the right bolt. It should just go in and tighten (may be a bit tricky to start).. but I think you'll be fine.

Presumably everything else is OK? I can definately confirm from what we saw, that a herd of cowboys have attacked your car at some point :(

everything else is absolutely excellent, and the new tensioner is as quiet as a mouse - the engines sounding like new :)

Ok, tomorrow I'll get straight on to vx about a new bolt, easier for me to just try this than take it all apart again I think - would you agree?

It relieves me a bit that you think it will be ok, I was panicking there for a few mins!

JamesV6CDX

• Omega Queen
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 28 February 2007, 00:24:58 »

Read my post after that one also mate..

I think you'll get away with it to be honest, if it was only biting on two threads or so.. then chances of those two threads not holding or stripping are much increased..

Best thing to do is just get another bolt, and try and get it in there  :y

JamesV6CDX

• Omega Queen
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 28 February 2007, 00:26:50 »

everything else is absolutely excellent, and the new tensioner is as quiet as a mouse - the engines sounding like new :)

Ok, tomorrow I'll get straight on to vx about a new bolt, easier for me to just try this than take it all apart again I think - would you agree?

It relieves me a bit that you think it will be ok, I was panicking there for a few mins!

Nah, don't panic..

Agree that it's easier not to mess about, just get another bolt asap and get it in there..

A pint says it'll tighten and torque without a problem ;D

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 28 February 2007, 08:44:21 »

If you had said it had the wrong bolt on Saturday.....I had a couple of spares....

ClarCE

• Newbury, Berks
  • Cam Covers x 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 28 February 2007, 08:55:45 »

Vx have ordered me one, be there tomorrow morning :)

Always the way Mark! ;)

ClarCE

• Newbury, Berks
  • Cam Covers x 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 01 March 2007, 09:11:22 »

New bolt should be here today, I'm keeping hopeful that it will bite and I'll have a secure tensioner again..

If not, someone metioned something called a 'helicoil' which apparently is a spring type contraption that you wind into the hole, and then tighten your bolt up into.. Anyone got experience of these if I am screwed (excuse the pun)?

Essex_Andy

• Have a guess?
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 01 March 2007, 13:53:31 »

Helicoils are good but you need to drill out the old thread, then insert the helicoil

If you havent used them before I suggest you find some to do it for you

ClarCE

• Newbury, Berks
  • Cam Covers x 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 01 March 2007, 13:54:43 »

Why Vauxhall are Numpties:

Yesterday on the phone:

Me: Hi I need the bolt that secures the auxilary belt tensioner to the cylinder block please

Vx: Ok, I don't have any here I'll order one in

Yesterday at Vauxhall while having gearbox reprogrammed:

Me: Hi, just want to check you've ordered my bolt for tomorrow

Vx: No we haven't

Me: Can you do it then please?

Vx: Yes, we'll phone you when its here tomorrow

-----

Today at Vauxhall

Me: Hi I'm here for my bolt that you ordered yesterday

Vx: Here you go

Me: Thats the wrong bolt - and why have you ordered two of them?!

Vx: errrrrrrrrr

Me: Those are the bolts that you'd use to secure the tensioner pulley to the tensionor assembly - and what made you think you would need two of them exactly????!

Me: Can we order the right one now please, is that possible?

Vx: Can't find it, its not on the screen

Me: Give me the mouse

Me: There it is (under alternator for some reason)

Me: Please order me one of those for tomorrow

Vx: Ok, you can come and collect it tomorrow morning

Me: No, you can bring it to me at work as I'm fed up of driving all the way down here to help you do your job

Vx: Ok.

------

What a bunch of f**king idiots.

So hopefully tomorrow I'll actually get the right bit.

JamesV6CDX

• Omega Queen
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 01 March 2007, 21:41:58 »

Why Vauxhall are Numpties:

Yesterday on the phone:

Me: Hi I need the bolt that secures the auxilary belt tensioner to the cylinder block please

Vx: Ok, I don't have any here I'll order one in

Yesterday at Vauxhall while having gearbox reprogrammed:

Me: Hi, just want to check you've ordered my bolt for tomorrow

Vx: No we haven't

Me: Can you do it then please?

Vx: Yes, we'll phone you when its here tomorrow

-----

Today at Vauxhall

Me: Hi I'm here for my bolt that you ordered yesterday

Vx: Here you go

Me: Thats the wrong bolt - and why have you ordered two of them?!

Me: Those are the bolts that you'd use to secure the tensioner pulley to the tensionor assembly - and what made you think you would need two of them exactly????!

Me: Can we order the right one now please, is that possible?

Vx: Can't find it, its not on the screen

Me: Give me the mouse

Me: There it is (under alternator for some reason)

Me: Please order me one of those for tomorrow

Vx: Ok, you can come and collect it tomorrow morning

Me: No, you can bring it to me at work as I'm fed up of driving all the way down here to help you do your job

Vx: Ok.

------

What a bunch of f**king idiots.

So hopefully tomorrow I'll actually get the right bit.

;D

ians

• Omega Baron
  • Reading
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 01 March 2007, 23:50:38 »

Was this the place in the town that you live (he says trying to avoid legal repercusions..)?
They tried to do me over good and proper on my brakes.

ClarCE

• Newbury, Berks
  • Cam Covers x 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 01 March 2007, 23:54:38 »

Sod the legals, they did me over royally with an astra coupe I had a year ago - stay away from Inchcape in Newbury at all costs!

ians

• Omega Baron
  • Reading
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 02 March 2007, 00:03:48 »

If you need a mechanic, there's a place in Thatcham I can recommend. Top bloke, expert on Omega's.

ClarCE

• Newbury, Berks
  • Cam Covers x 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 02 March 2007, 00:09:52 »

If you need a mechanic, there's a place in Thatcham I can recommend. Top bloke, expert on Omega's.

Sounds good, I've PM'd you by the way - right at the top in messages...

omega si

• Leeds, West Yorkshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 03 March 2007, 00:12:26 »

I too got a belt from AutoVaux.

Engine was quiet until fitted (very very tight to fit). Then lo and behold if my tensioner didnt start rattling itself silly.

New tensioner later - quieter but still not as it should be (belt has stretched a little since it was first fitted, but was still tight).

Result - GM belts only in future for me! I'll be ordering mine tomorrow.

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 03 March 2007, 00:55:37 »

Spratleys in Mortimer come well recommended too. Small dealer, not sure if they've got a parts department. My only direct experience is with sorting out my Morrisons fuel debacle whereby they charged me 20 quid for a Tech2 session and said "It'll probably be OK but you may need the sensors replaced if the fault comes back.

Contrast with <sucks through teeth> "That'll need new Lambda sensors all round" (over the phone, some sort of new remote Tech2 via combined telephone and telepathy link). "Bring it in on Monday and we'll make a start. Not sure when you can have it back. Parts are on back order" at a large main dealer. Err.. No, thanks.

Kevin
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

r.welfare

• Newbury, Berkshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 04 March 2007, 00:30:50 »

Chalk up another 'victim' of the Autovaux aux belts...my tensioner is now squealing horribly.  New GM one on order, and I think I will go to Spratley's to order a belt rather than Inchcape!

Interestingly I heard that Sprately's may be losing it's Vx franchise, a shame as it's a top 'village dealer' from what I can tell.  Anybody know if Gurney's of Benson are knowledgeable/helpful, or J Davy in Basingstoke?
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Up

Page created in 0.057 seconds with 21 queries.