Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: facelift V pre facelift  (Read 2646 times)

smoothomega

• Omega Knight
  • Perth, Western Australia
  • 2002 2.2DTI CDX,
    • View Profile
facelift V pre facelift
« on: 30 April 2007, 16:37:56 »

Just wonderd what peoples opinions were on the facelift meegas. Having taken a 2000 elite estate out for a test drive i found that the interior was not a patch on my 1999 model, the dash looks like it was thrown in out of some jap car and looks very fiddly and the door cards look cheap and nasty compared to mine, it seemed all very angular in a car that is smooth and shaped. I know this is only my opinion and i was only in the cockpit for a short while and it don't do for us all to like the same thing but i would be interestsed to know what others think. Looks like i shall be holding on to mine for some time to come :y. Cheers, Jez

ClarCE

• Newbury, Berks
  • Cam Covers x 5
    • View Profile
Re: facelift V pre facelift
« Reply #1 on: 30 April 2007, 16:50:32 »

Just wonderd what peoples opinions were on the facelift meegas. Having taken a 2000 elite estate out for a test drive i found that the interior was not a patch on my 1999 model, the dash looks like it was thrown in out of some jap car and looks very fiddly and the door cards look cheap and nasty compared to mine, it seemed all very angular in a car that is smooth and shaped. I know this is only my opinion and i was only in the cockpit for a short while and it don't do for us all to like the same thing but i would be interestsed to know what others think. Looks like i shall be holding on to mine for some time to come :y. Cheers, Jez

This is going to be one of those threads I think!

If I could do it, I would have a mini-facelift circa 98/99 - fit facelift rear bumper, skirts, door moldings.  You'd have to get an irmscher / steinmetz front bumper to finish it as the facelift wont go on.  The reason is the bonnet, which I seriously dislike the look of on the facelifts..  Combine with Irmscher grill, Facelift MV6 wheels on MV6 / Irmscher shocks and springs and I'd have the car that I would absolutely want.

Interior wise, I like the facelift door cards, but don't like much of the rest - this combination would also probably look awful if anyone actually did combine it, so sticking with the full pre-facelift interior is for me..

IMO, anyway :y
So Far - :: Re-Finished Elite Wheels :: Black Leather Interior :: 3.0 Cams :: Chipped (REMOVED, EBAY SHI*E) :: Facelift Skirts ::
To Do   - :: Facelift Rear Bumper, Door Mouldings :: Irsmsher Front Air Da

STMO123

« Reply #2 on: 30 April 2007, 16:54:49 »

I've owned both and I prefer facelift interior and exterior. Just my tuppence worth.

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 30 April 2007, 17:10:20 »

I own both....and prefer the facelift interior and exterior....

Markjay

• Omega Lord
  • London
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 30 April 2007, 17:17:58 »

I had a pre-minifacelift 97 Omega and now have a facelift 2001 Omega.

I like the external design of the old model better, it somehow seemed bigger and more authoritarian… the facelift looks smaller and more ‘Japanese’, bland even.

I also like the old interior design better… my 97 car was poverty spec, i.e. no fake wood just all-black dash – the way I like it…I am not impressed with the fake wood on the facelift, and the rubbery bits on the dash and door trim do not seem to wear as well as the tougher ones on the old model.

But on balance I would still prefer the facelift… mainly because of the V6 engines (the 2.6/3.2 from around Y-reg upwards), much easier to work on due to the removal of many fitments such as EGR, ICV and throttle cable.

Then there are the wheels – 16” on low-spec models and 17” on high-end. The original sound system is much better with CD as standard (mine being a CDX has the 4-changer and cassette). But these are minor - the main thing for me is the 2.6/3.2 V6 engines.

But if you decide to go for the older model then as said above it must be the mini-facelift, you get side airbags, 4-channel ABS/TC (on the V6), projector headlamps, and steering-wheel mounted radio controls – not to mention upgradeable autobox ECU…

Alas, no more Omegas....

Elite Pete

• Omega Queen
  • Chester
  • My spider senses are tingling
    • Audi SQ5 GSX1400
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 30 April 2007, 17:18:35 »

I would go for a mini facelift everytime, oh I have three times. I think the curves of the mini facelift look nicer, but both are brilliant cars and its all down to preferance :)
Retired

Danny

• Omega Lord
  • Wigan, Greater Manchester
  • BLACK 1.6 BORA SHAPED JETTA!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 30 April 2007, 17:27:28 »

i prefer the facelift exterior, i like the modern looks of the front and rear, and the lack of black plastic on door trims, but if i wanted one that suits my requirements on looks then it would be facelift exterior with the cream interior of a prefacelift

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 30 April 2007, 17:40:41 »

I own both....and prefer the facelift interior and exterior....

Same here, facelift is superior in terms of ride, comes across more modern inside.

smoothomega

• Omega Knight
  • Perth, Western Australia
  • 2002 2.2DTI CDX,
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 30 April 2007, 17:42:28 »

I had a pre-minifacelift 97 Omega and now have a facelift 2001 Omega.

I like the external design of the old model better, it somehow seemed bigger and more authoritarian… the facelift looks smaller and more ‘Japanese’, bland even.

I also like the old interior design better… my 97 car was poverty spec, i.e. no fake wood just all-black dash – the way I like it…I am not impressed with the fake wood on the facelift, and the rubbery bits on the dash and door trim do not seem to wear as well as the tougher ones on the old model.

But on balance I would still prefer the facelift… mainly because of the V6 engines (the 2.6/3.2 from around Y-reg upwards), much easier to work on due to the removal of many fitments such as EGR, ICV and throttle cable.

Then there are the wheels – 16” on low-spec models and 17” on high-end. The original sound system is much better with CD as standard (mine being a CDX has the 4-changer and cassette). But these are minor - the main thing for me is the 2.6/3.2 V6 engines.

But if you decide to go for the older model then as said above it must be the mini-facelift, you get side airbags, 4-channel ABS/TC (on the V6), projector headlamps, and steering-wheel mounted radio controls – not to mention upgradeable autobox ECU…

Yep mine is the mini facelift, just wonderd what the upgradeable autobox ECU is all about? could you tell me more please and what its advantages are, cheers Jez

Markie

• Omega Lord
  • Lanarkshire, Scotland
    • RS4, BMW X5, Range Rover
    • View Profile
    • http://www.facebook.com/pages/Markiescarparts/149306545168993
« Reply #9 on: 30 April 2007, 17:50:19 »

Post rather than pre for me.

I prefer the dash in particular and i suppose the rust post facelift pushes me to post as well. Post are far more galvanised.

Current is a 2000 pre facelift  ::)
MarkiesCarParts-Online Now With A New 4000FT Partswarehouse; Stocking Thousands of Vauxhall,Peugeot, Citroen, Renault & Rover NEW Parts - Check us on Ebay MarkiesCarParts-Online. PM me via OOF for discount

Markjay

• Omega Lord
  • London
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 30 April 2007, 17:56:40 »

Yep mine is the mini facelift, just wonderd what the upgradeable autobox ECU is all about? could you tell me more please and what its advantages are, cheers Jez

Apparently due to some design flaw or such, the 98 upwards auto boxes tend to kick and klong and generally have a harsh feel to them. The software update brings the ECU software up to the latest level 9 and produces silky-smooth shifts. The car certainly feels faster though this has not been scientifically proven… you’ll need to have a mini-facleift (98) or newer car, and access to Tech-2 – any Vx dealer can do this for a fee of between £50 and £100, or you could go see TheKid which will not only prove to be a much better deal, but will also ensure that the update has actually been done properly!
Alas, no more Omegas....

Markjay

• Omega Lord
  • London
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 30 April 2007, 17:59:00 »

I just noticed that if you start a poll then you can change the questions after people already answered… hmmm…  this give me some wicked idea… watch out for my next poll!
Alas, no more Omegas....

Bo Bo

• Omega Baron
  • Coventry
  • Here's another nice mess you've gotten me into!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 30 April 2007, 18:00:11 »

Mini-facelift all the way for me....
Where would we be without rhetorical questions?!

craykent

• abergavenny south wales
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 30 April 2007, 19:48:34 »

pre facelift for me i dont like the black styless  squarebutton of the later type  

Jimbob

• Global Moderator
  • Chester / Flintshire
  • I like traffic lights, but only when they're green
    • E250 Est / Golf GTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 30 April 2007, 20:03:52 »

I'm another with both, and prefer the prefacelift.
IMO the Pre MV6 was the nicest ever interior available.

Another plus, is the ability to have aftermarket audio and it not look 'bolted on' with a dodgy adaptor.
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.02 seconds with 19 queries.