Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Good price?  (Read 3176 times)

bob.dent

• Omega Lord
  • Hertfordshire
  • Drives better than an Omega
    • Mondeo 2.0TDCI Estate
    • View Profile
Good price?
« on: 02 July 2009, 10:38:31 »

I've been looking around for prices for new vented rear disc and pads. I was at VX in Harlow yesterday and they quoted me £127.00 + VAT for the discs and £47.55 + VAT for the pads. My mate then gave me the number of a car spares in Harlow that he said were really good for prices, so I gave them a ring this morning. They quoted £60.00 incl. VAT for the discs and £14.00 incl. VAT for the pads. :o I know many of you on here recommend genuine VX spares, but what a difference!! Very tempted to go with it.
I HAVE THE BODY OF AN 18 YEAR OLD.......I KEEP IT IN THE FRIDGE!

Jimbob

• Global Moderator
  • Chester / Flintshire
  • I like traffic lights, but only when they're green
    • E250 Est / Golf GTI
    • View Profile
Re: Good price?
« Reply #1 on: 02 July 2009, 10:41:38 »

disks are retail dunno where they got that pad price from!

Ventilated discs/drums from '01                              93182287 £127.00 £108.29 £84.55

All models disc pads                                93169001 £19.65 £16.70 £11.59

have you not got trade club?  gotta be worth joining for the savings on those alone!
pity its too late for someone to get a set to bring to EA meet, as they are normally order only.

Jimbob

• Global Moderator
  • Chester / Flintshire
    • E250 Est / Golf GTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 02 July 2009, 10:43:24 »

problems with after market seem to centre around the weight of the car warping the disks in a fairly short time.

Certainly the case with fronts, not so much info on the rears.

bob.dent

• Omega Lord
  • Hertfordshire
    • Mondeo 2.0TDCI Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 02 July 2009, 10:50:08 »

Ventilated discs/drums from '01                              93182287 £127.00 £108.29 £84.55

All models disc pads                                93169001 £19.65 £16.70 £11.59

have you not got trade club?  gotta be worth joining for the savings on those alone!
pity its too late for someone to get a set to bring to EA meet, as they are normally order only.

Don't have a TC card James. I think I'm going to order the cheap discs and pads as they're less than half VX price. I could pick them up tomorrow and take them to EA meet but I didn't really want to trouble anyone at the meet to do it as I think peeps want more of a relaxing weekend. I'm already having my new coolant tank fitted there by Tonygnome so don't want to ask for more jobs to be done.

dippydave

• Sutton Coldfield, West Mids
  • how personal?
    • Vectra 2.0DTi Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 02 July 2009, 11:32:35 »

I was in Vx yesterday and they quoted about £87 (on TC) for front disks and pads in a set! Is there not a similar one for the back?  :-/
Vectra Elite Estate doing good post-Omega service but still not as nice to sit in.

One last Omega on the drive, one Corsa on the lawn...maybe they'll go to a good home before too long!

bob.dent

• Omega Lord
  • Hertfordshire
    • Mondeo 2.0TDCI Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 02 July 2009, 11:35:11 »

I was in Vx yesterday and they quoted about £87 (on TC) for front disks and pads in a set! Is there not a similar one for the back?  :-/

This was covered in a recent thread - apparently VX dont do rear discs and pads as a set.

dippydave

• Sutton Coldfield, West Mids
  • how personal?
    • Vectra 2.0DTi Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 02 July 2009, 11:52:22 »

This was covered in a recent thread - apparently VX don't do rear discs and pads as a set.

Aw. that sucks! Can't believe fronts can be cheaper than rears. I guess they wear out more often?!  :-/

Sorry to repeat the info, I missed that previous thread!
Vectra Elite Estate doing good post-Omega service but still not as nice to sit in.

One last Omega on the drive, one Corsa on the lawn...maybe they'll go to a good home before too long!

Jimbob

• Global Moderator
  • Chester / Flintshire
    • E250 Est / Golf GTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 02 July 2009, 11:55:17 »

Don't have a TC card James. I think I'm going to order the cheap discs and pads as they're less than half VX price. I could pick them up tomorrow and take them to EA meet but I didn't really want to trouble anyone at the meet to do it as I think peeps want more of a relaxing weekend. I'm already having my new coolant tank fitted there by Tonygnome so don't want to ask for more jobs to be done.

can understand that, even if someone just delivered you the gen set...

imho you deserve some brake fitting as bbq thanks  :D :D :D

gutted im missing a bob bbq!  :'(

bob.dent

• Omega Lord
  • Hertfordshire
    • Mondeo 2.0TDCI Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 02 July 2009, 12:02:20 »

can understand that, even if someone just delivered you the gen set...

imho you deserve some brake fitting as bbq thanks  :D :D :D

gutted im missing a bob bbq!  :'(

TBH I actually quite enjoy it, seems to help the beer go down for some reason - must be the heat! ::) ;D

Shame you can't make it James - other commitments?
« Last Edit: 02 July 2009, 12:03:24 by bob.dent »

Jimbob

• Global Moderator
  • Chester / Flintshire
    • E250 Est / Golf GTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 02 July 2009, 12:04:42 »

aye, too far with the kids really, looking over 4 hours each way, just too far at the moment

HI2DVY

• Intermediate Member
  • Deepest Darkest, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 02 July 2009, 19:26:47 »

Might be worth checking the brand name of the disks and pads from the motor factors. Genuine Vx vented disks are actually manufactured under OEM by a company called ATE. These are generally much cheaper through factors than the same bits packed in a red and white Vx box. I bought mine for the 2.6 last year through EuroParts (I think).  :y
some day.....

ScottieMV6

• Omega Knight
  • Swinton, Manchester
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 02 July 2009, 19:51:29 »

I always get brake parts from Brakes International as they are very close to where I live but they do mail order.

15.98 for set of pads
75.00 for discs

All plus VAT. They are usually extremely good quality I have found. Although for the little bit extra I would probably go for VX items on TC now I know!!  :y
I'd rather be scared to death than bored to death!!

webby23

• Omega Baron
  • Nottingham
  • MV6
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 02 July 2009, 20:28:38 »

Personally brakes are one expense I am happy to pay for quality on......

When you're sitting in the rain, on a dark and cold December night, shaking cos you have just ran up the arse of someone, you will wish you had spent that extra £30 or whatever genuine parts will cost............?

:y
« Last Edit: 02 July 2009, 20:28:57 by webby23 »
The only certainty of life is death. Live your life and enjoy it. The clock is ticking

Del Boy

• Omega Queen
  • Kent, UK.
    • 2012 '62' BMW 730d MSport
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 02 July 2009, 21:26:11 »

Hardly ever use genuine pads and discs, pattern parts are just as good at most of the time half the price imo.
Drives: 2013 (13) BMW 530d M Sport Touring, 2011 '61' BMW 520d SE.

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
  • N E Lincolnshire & Warwickshire
  • Diamond Black '96 CDX V6 - 'Pissy'
    • & a silly coupe coming...
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 02 July 2009, 22:02:31 »

Know what you mean, LSG...theres plenty of novas running around with very high quality racing pads - which are useless on the roads, and only work when baking hot on a track..
Ex-Dealer Kent-Moore Rear Wheel Bearing Tool available for hire, PM for details.

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." 4th Doctor
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.043 seconds with 21 queries.